2$1,250,000
2$1,150,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Bilyalov, Timur
1$925,000
Trades
TOR
SEA
    I think we should hang on to Morgan Rielly for a little bit. This is a little change of tone considering that i was one of the guys that wanted Rielly gone in the offseason, but there are a couple thing i recognised today that made me change my tone
    1. He is coming off a broken foot
    2. He had a 20 goal season not too long ago
    3. He is still a top defenseman in the league when he is on his game
    While I do think this hasnt been a good season for Rielly, there is no reason for the Leafs to jump the gun and trade him until at least next year's deadline, and even if he gets traded, he is gonna get serious value, i'm talking a B prospect, a solid roster player and a first.

That said though, i think the leafs should cut Rielly's ice time. Give PP1 to Sandin and PP2 to Muzzin and keep Rielly as a 5v5 defender
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$79,741,450$0$0$1,758,550
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $1,645,000$1,645,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,650,000$2,650,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 7
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    C, LW
    UFA
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    Taxi Squad
    Bilyalov, Timur
    $925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    $863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    G
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 10:53 p.m.
    Banned
    @PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood thank you for teaching me how valuable Rielly is to the leafs
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 10:54 p.m.
    NoWah49
    i think the decision on if he stays or goes is entirely based on Sandin's development and what Rielly's gonna ask for in contract talks
    LeafsFanZay, aadoyle, MapleLeafs97 and 2 others liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 10:56 p.m.
    Formerly Jamiepo
    I’m down for sandman on pp1 but Rielly certainly plays pp2 and it’s not even up for debate.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 10:57 p.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Quoting: NoWah49
    i think the decision on if he stays or goes is entirely based on Sandin's development and what Rielly's gonna ask for in contract talks

yep

Sandin so far is making a case as if u can use the money elsewhere and bring in a cheaper but still good RD or forward or goaltender why not go for it
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:00 p.m.
    Hakuna Matata
    Quoting: GenXHockey
    I’m down for sandman on pp1 but Rielly certainly plays pp2 and it’s not even up for debate.

the issue with putting Sandin on unit 1 rn is its sending a message to Rielly your time is up and we are not bringing u back in 2022, but at the same time it also allows for Keefe to see if Sandin can QB unit 1 and do as good of a job/better job than Rielly ever did. Keefe knows this so hes playing his cards carefully as happy Rielly may take a discount to stay.

its tough to say rn whats gonna happen

as who knows Rielly may go sicko mode next season score 15 goals and have 70 points while Sandin just gets 10 points or something
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:11 p.m.
    Please win the cup
    you forgot to mention he's only 27, for me personally I notice D get good at around 29-31 for some reason.
    LeafsFanZay liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:17 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: aadoyle
    yep

Sandin so far is making a case as if u can use the money elsewhere and bring in a cheaper but still good RD or forward or goaltender why not go for it

Or Sandin makes it clear Dermott is completely expendable. Perhaps many are jumping on the gun on whether or not he can take on top pair minutes. Because he has only played sheltered bottom pair minutes. Regardless of how good they have looked it's limited sheltered minutes.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:18 p.m.
    the issue with putting Sandin on unit 1 rn is its sending a message to Rielly your time is up and we are not bringing u back in 2022, but at the same time it also allows for Keefe to see if Sandin can QB unit 1 and do as good of a job/better job than Rielly ever did. Keefe knows this so hes playing his cards carefully as happy Rielly may take a discount to stay.

as who knows Rielly may go sicko mode next season score 15 goals and have 70 points while Sandin just gets 10 points or something

I think everyone is discounting the actual leadership skills and standing of Morgan Rielly on the Leafs.......I have been told by a number of people that Rielly is actually the real leader on the Leafs and alot of people thought he should have been the actual captain over Tavares.........Just think he is an incredible person and there is no way the Leafs are not resigning him.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:19 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: MapleLeafsfan2003
    you forgot to mention he's only 27, for me personally I notice D get good at around 29-31 for some reason.

There is almost no evidence of that. They are pretty much the same as forwards but a year later. 25 is their real break through and after that they stay relatively close until around 30 and many start falling off if they lose a step.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:22 p.m.
    Banned

Marner QB's the PP, and now that they have been going downlow to Nylander it's started opening things up again. Blaming Rielly for the PP troubles is just the way Leaf fans on here operate. It's his fault regardless of who's fault it is. Marner trying the same thing for a full month every time (cross seem pass) and Rielly is to blame for somehow not controling Marner's body to do something different. Its ridiculous
    TML_Tika liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:23 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: TML_Tika
    I think everyone is discounting the actual leadership skills and standing of Morgan Rielly on the Leafs.......I have been told by a number of people that Rielly is actually the real leader on the Leafs and alot of people thought he should have been the actual captain over Tavares.........Just think he is an incredible person and there is no way the Leafs are not resigning him.

I agree. Remember how they handled the homophobic slur allegation? It was proven to be false and they could have left it at that but Rielly wanted to make a statement because in his word's "the fact that anyone thought it could have been said shows we need to do more to stamp this out!". Absolutely a class act.
    TML_Tika liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:26 p.m.
    Banned

Sandin does only have 10 points in 31 games. It's not like he's blowing the doors off offensively.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:27 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: LeafsFanZay
    @PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood thank you for teaching me how valuable Rielly is to the leafs

It's about being happy with what he is and not overblowing what he isn't. He isn't Hedman but what he is is still really good. And almost impossible to replace.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:36 p.m.
    Anisimov ELITE goaltender
    SidTheKid99 liked this.
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:39 p.m.
    I am definately not comfortable with Anisimov as the backup....or did you sign him for out next starter
    Apr. 26, 2021 at 11:53 p.m.
    Drover006
    Coming off injury hurts. But what atleast I've noticed a bit is that his skating in the Dzone is weird. He's strafing back and forth wildly sometimes and he cheats on Brodie's side too much. Brodie is good.
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 1:49 a.m.
    Quoting: NoWah49

What about goaltending? I mean I suppose some of the answer to this depends on what happens in the upcoming playoffs but in my mind, I'm looking elsewhere for a new goalie, and that, my friend, costs money.

Would I like to keep Rielly? Perhaps.
    Is it realistic to try keeping him? Not really.
    NoWah49 liked this.
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 6:32 a.m.
    In Pridham we trust

Quoting: PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood
    There is almost no evidence of that. They are pretty much the same as forwards but a year later. 25 is their real break through and after that they stay relatively close until around 30 and many start falling off if they lose a step.

The leadership issue is what worries me the most about letting him go.

If Dman (and players in general) begin to decline at age 30, isn't that an argument against re-signing Rielly.

A lot of his game depends on skating, when he loses a step will he just be a bit worse or are we looking at a Karlsson, Vlasic, etc situation?

Does it make sense to pay 29 to Rielly 7 x 7.5 (reasonable ask based on Krug deal) for his decline years?

Not starting a fight, big Rielly fan here, but I don't think a new Rielly contract is or should be a slam dunk.
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: Barilko14
    The leadership issue is what worries me the most about letting him go.

If Dman (and players in general) begin to decline at age 30, isn't that an argument against re-signing Rielly.

A lot of his game depends on skating, when he loses a step will he just be a bit worse or are we looking at a Karlsson, Vlasic, etc situation?

Does it make sense to pay 29 to Rielly 7 x 7.5 (reasonable ask based on Krug deal) for his decline years?

Not starting a fight, big Rielly fan here, but I don't think a new Rielly contract is or should be a slam dunk.

I don't think he'll be getting a max deal by any stretch more like. 5-6 year deal and I doubt he makes much more than 6.5. it's a flat cap and that could hurt his pocket book, plus he wants to be a leaf more than people realize.
    TML_Tika liked this.
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 10:14 a.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    I don't think he'll be getting a max deal by any stretch more like. 5-6 year deal and I doubt he makes much more than 6.5. it's a flat cap and that could hurt his pocket book, plus he wants to be a leaf more than people realize.

Krug got 7 x $6.5m in the Pandemic. Reilly can ask for 7 x $7m and that would still be considered a home-town discount. I realize he likely wants to retire a Leaf, and people say "he really want to stay" quite often about players leading up to contracts, but there are not too many examples of guys in their late 20s actually taking less $$ or term or both. It's way more likely he asks for and gets market value. It just happened last summer with Pietrangelo. Every team has a "Rielly" a great player that's been with a team for 8+ years, but you rarely see big discounts from those guys, because it's their one big chance to get paid.

If Rielly can pretty easily get $49M on his next contract, I really don't see why he'd just agree to take $39M ($6.5m x 6). There's no chance he ever recoups that $10M. Even a rich athlete doesn't really want to leave $10M on the table. Not too mention he's given the Leafs more than anyone already, why would he be the one again to take less?

It's $10M, I doubt Rielly loves the team that much.

Also, the Pandemic squeezes the same guys that always get squeezed when there is less $$ to go around, the middle aged bottom pair, and bottom 6 guys. It won't hurt top pairing Dmen's pockets too much.
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 10:32 a.m.
    Banned
    Krug got 7 x $6.5m in the Pandemic. Reilly can ask for 7 x $7m and that would still be considered a home-town discount. I realize he likely wants to retire a Leaf, and people say "he really want to stay" quite often about players leading up to contracts, but there are not too many examples of guys in their late 20s actually taking less $$ or term or both. It's way more likely he asks for and gets market value. It just happened last summer with Pietrangelo. Every team has a "Rielly" a great player that's been with a team for 8+ years, but you rarely see big discounts from those guys, because it's their one big chance to get paid.

If Rielly can pretty easily get $49M on his next contract, I really don't see why he'd just agree to take $39M ($6.5m x 6). There's no chance he ever recoups that $10M. Even a rich athlete doesn't really want to leave $10M on the table. Not too mention he's given the Leafs more than anyone already, why would he be the one again to take less?

It's $10M, I doubt Rielly loves the team that much.

Also, the Pandemic squeezes the same guys that always get squeezed when there is less $$ to go around, the middle aged bottom pair, and bottom 6 guys. It won't hurt top pairing Dmen's pockets too much.

Krug went to FA. Rielly may not, if he does he'll get more than Krug but if he does he knows TO is out. If TO and him are negotiating he should know they won't be the best offer. So we'll see. I hope he decides winning in TO is worth more millions but you could be right.
    TML_Tika liked this.
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 10:51 a.m.
    Krug went to FA. Rielly may not, if he does he'll get more than Krug but if he does he knows TO is out. If TO and him are negotiating he should know they won't be the best offer. So we'll see. I hope he decides winning in TO is worth more millions but you could be right.

I think there are a lot of moving parts at play here which Dubas is monitoring closely such as Hyman and Anderson's contracts and the actual team's playoff performance........Leafs can even trade away another player to free up cash to resign Rielly if necessary.......Everything is going to be sorted out in due time......He also probably makes more in endorsements playing in Toronto than any other team in the NHL.
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 10:55 a.m.
    In Pridham we trust

I just can't allow myself to be too optimistic about his next contract. 2 years out from UFA for Pietrangelo 99% of hockey world would agree he'd retire in St.L.

You've got a "no go" point for Hyman.

Do you have a "no go" point for Rielly? And is it just $$, or also term?
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 10:57 a.m.
    In Pridham we trust
    I think there are a lot of moving parts at play here which Dubas is monitoring closely such as Hyman and Anderson's contracts and the actual team's playoff performance........Leafs can even trade away another player to free up cash to resign Rielly if necessary.......Everything is going to be sorted out in due time......He also probably makes more in endorsements playing in Toronto than any other team in the NHL.

Considering goalie has to be shored up this summer, I have a feeling mgmt wants to sort out most of these moving parts in this off-season.
    Apr. 27, 2021 at 11:03 a.m.
    Banned
    I just can't allow myself to be too optimistic about his next contract. 2 years out from UFA for Pietrangelo 99% of hockey world would agree he'd retire in St.L.

You've got a "no go" point for Hyman.

Do you have a "no go" point for Rielly? And is it just $$, or also term?

It's both, term generally scares me more with players in their late 20's. Rielly is so fast that I think even if he loses a couple of steps he's still faster than most so that extends his career. Hyman though plays such a hard style and those guys tend to hit a wall so much faster. Also Hyman just isn't skilled enough to warrant paying him more than 4 million.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll