Forums/Armchair-GM

Two deals before expansion and Hamilton

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2021-22 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 27, 2021
Published: Apr. 27, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Deals between Edmonton and Arizona and Edmonton and Washington are made before Seattle makes their expansion picks in order for all three teams to maximize their protection slots or maximize the value of assets that would otherwise be lost to Seattle for nothing. The Coyotes still lose Hill unless they make a secondary deal, but can instead use one of their defence protection slots on Jones over Capobianco. The Capitals exchange a young, promising netminder for an NHL-ready winger whom they can afford to protect.

7: Archibald, Crouse, Draisaitl, Khaira, McDavid, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto
3: Bear, Klefbom, Nurse
1: Vanacek

There are too many better goaltending options for the Kraken to bother taking Koskinen, thus the Seattle selection comes down to Kahun, Kassian, or an AHL piece. Kahun is the better NHL option, but neither selection is going to be a game-breaker for the Kraken.

Hyman interchangeable with Nugent-Hopkins if need be. If this is the case, protect RNH over Khaira during expansion.

Dead cap, a Neal buyout, and expiring contracts make next season affordable provided that Broberg, Holloway, Lavoie, Samorukov, and the winner of Konovalov/Skinner are NHL-bound in 2022-23. I suspect Crouse and Puljujarvi pull in about $2.5M each, Nurse hits around $7M, Bear at $4M, McLeod at around $1M but probably less, and Vanacek at the Saros deal. Bridge deals, the expiration of more dead cap, and cap raises make the rest of the roster affordable moving forward.

Feel free to be wrong and tell me why Hamilton isn't a better option than Barrie and Larsson.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
2$925,000
3$925,000
2$925,000
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,200,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
3$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,000,000
7$8,500,000
1$1,500,000
4$5,500,000
1$1,500,000
1$800,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Crouse, Lawson
  2. 2021 4th round pick (ARI)
WSH
  1. Benson, Tyler [RFA Rights]
  2. Tullio, Tyler [Reserve List]
EDM
  1. 2022 4th round pick (TBL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$80,633,839$669,339$907,500$866,161

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,533,333$1,533,333
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,175,000$1,175,000
RW
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$834,167$834,167 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
C
RFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,600,000$5,600,000
LD
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$716,667$716,667
G
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:30 p.m.
What in tarnation
Think Vanecek will cost more than that, and with those protections it's pretty likely that SEA is taking Lagesson.

Kahun has been disappointing really.
Tntpod liked this.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:33 p.m.
Vegan Commie Hipster
If they ultimately protected Archibald, Khaira, Crouse (yikes) why not just use those spots to take on forwards that won't fit in the protectin slots elsewhere

3 pretty fringe assets ultimately

Archibald especially 😐
Tntpod liked this.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:33 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: justaBoss
Think Vanecek will cost more than that, and with those protections it's pretty likely that SEA is taking Lagesson.

Kahun has been disappointing really.

Lagesson would be equally disappointing all things considered. He's the Swedish Kris Russell in terms of stats. Given the defenders available to Seattle, Lagesson would feel like a wasted pick, which is why I went with Kahun. No pick out of Edmonton in this scenario is very good.

Vanacek can't cost THAT much more than one of the AHL's leading scorers. Maybe a longshot prospect, the UFA rights to Anton Slepyshev, or a late pick, but I don't see the Capitals entertaining anything intraconference if Vanacek is supposed to be something one day, and there aren't a lot of teams in the West looking for or capable of protecting a young goaltender.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:34 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Radu47
If they ultimately protected Archibald, Khaira, Crouse (yikes) why not just use those spots to take on forwards that won't fit in the protectin slots elsewhere

3 pretty fringe assets ultimately

Archibald especially 😐

Archibald's a multitool on this roster and a big part of the Oilers PK. I don't mind the Oilers protecting him. I like Crouse as a Maroon-esque player to get in front of the net while McDavid does his thing.

I'd love to upgrade on Khaira, but who's out bad enough to trade with Edmonton at a discount?
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:37 p.m.
Edited Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:42 p.m.
Washington in reality has to be extremely meticulous with this move while pressed against a deadline. trading Vanacek almost seems inevitable though and we’re probably one of the only teams that can protect him as our 1G, but still that being said, it’s probably more from the Oilers going back.

Other notes:
-Would rather Neal retire or be bought out than burying 4 mill
-Seattle takes Lagesson although Kahun has been rebounding nicely which is evident with their last game, so these last 10 games or whatever plus playoffs could really give him a new look
-I don’t think Hyman signs with the Oilers in all reality, a lot of other favourable markets will throw cash at him if he doesn’t resign
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:40 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Lagesson would be equally disappointing all things considered. He's the Swedish Kris Russell in terms of stats. Given the defenders available to Seattle, Lagesson would feel like a wasted pick, which is why I went with Kahun. No pick out of Edmonton in this scenario is very good.

Vanacek can't cost THAT much more than one of the AHL's leading scorers. Maybe a longshot prospect, the UFA rights to Anton Slepyshev, or a late pick, but I don't see the Capitals entertaining anything intraconference if Vanacek is supposed to be something one day, and there aren't a lot of teams in the West looking for or capable of protecting a young goaltender.

I personally think that Kahun's going the AA route. He's more or less a pending UFA right now. Lagesson might be as well having a bad year, but there's the 20 contract rule to be filled, which Lagesson does, and he still has some potential, even if it is scarce. Just my opinion though.

As for that AHL's leading scorer thingy...feels like I've heard this one before. Sounds like a very Jeremy Bracco-esque situation. That didn't really work out for the Leafs...I don't see why it would necessarily work for the Oilers either. Personally I don't see a lot of value in the guy, but I absolutely see a lot of value in a goalie who's played 30+ games in NHL this year with below league-minimum contract.

Should WSH want to savor something for Vanecek, I could bet almost anything some team will outbid EDM if this is their max offer for the guy.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:41 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: FullSend
Washington in reality has to be extremely meticulous with this move while pressed against a deadline. trading Vanacek almost seems inevitable though and we’re probably one of the only teams that can protect him as our 1G, but still that being said, it’s probably more from the Oilers going back.

Other notes:
-Would rather Neal retire or be bought out than burying 4 mill
-Seattle takes Lagesson
-I don’t think Hyman signs with the Oilers in all reality, a lot of other favourable markets will throw cash at him if he doesn’t resign

How much more?

Burying Neal for a year condenses his buyout from 4 years to 2 years for free. His retiring or presence on LTIR isn't anything I've seen enough substantial evidence to outright do it, which will ultimately come down to whether or not he passes his physical. The idea would be to buy him out after this season given that there isn't a substantial desperation to clear the $4.625M until the following year. A name like Danault would be incredible to have instead, but it's a luxury, and one that makes the cap difficult next year.

See above for Lagesson: it's kinda 6 of one, half dozen of the other, and he makes less sense given the blueline options the Kraken will have available to them.

How much more favourable do you need than the guarantee of 2nd in the division and more than likely to be playing in the second round? That's better odds than most teams. Anyways, already stated I'm fine with going RNH > Hyman.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
Jah1722
It’s not that Hamilton isn’t the better player than Barrie but Barrie has fit in well so I think EDM keeps him and it’ll cost less than Hamilton.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:45 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: justaBoss
I personally think that Kahun's going the AA route. He's more or less a pending UFA right now. Lagesson might be as well having a bad year, but there's the 20 contract rule to be filled, which Lagesson does, and he still has some potential, even if it is scarce. Just my opinion though.

As for that AHL's leading scorer thingy...feels like I've heard this one before. Sounds like a very Jeremy Bracco-esque situation. That didn't really work out for the Leafs...I don't see why it would necessarily work for the Oilers either. Personally I don't see a lot of value in the guy, but I absolutely see a lot of value in a goalie who's played 30+ games in NHL this year with below league-minimum contract.

Should WSH want to savor something for Vanecek, I could bet almost anything some team will outbid EDM if this is their max offer for the guy.

Fair point on Kahun and the 20 contract rule.

I think Bracco's attitude issues were his ultimate decider and Benson was more a casualty of the quarantine into Canada thing we've had all season, but I see the point you're making. I wouldn't call this the max offer I could come up with: I'm more than happy to move a 2022 pick or other small assets the Caps might find alluring. My point really breaks down to goaltenders not going for as much as we tend to think they do. It's always been more of a buyers market; there are only 64 positions available at the NHL level.
justaBoss liked this.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:46 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Jah1722
It’s not that Hamilton isn’t the better player than Barrie but Barrie has fit in well so I think EDM keeps him and it’ll cost less than Hamilton.

Barrie can't play defense and Hamilton is in the Norris conversation every year while posting similar numbers, except without needing the powerplay to do it.

If the difference between these two players is ultimately going to be around $3M, I'd rather pony up the cash for the far superior defender.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:52 p.m.
Jah1722
Barrie can't play defense and Hamilton is in the Norris conversation every year while posting similar numbers, except without needing the powerplay to do it.

If the difference between these two players is ultimately going to be around $3M, I'd rather pony up the cash for the far superior defender.

Yes but they know the fit with Barrie already and the production he had. I just don’t see them letting Barrie walk.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 9:57 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Jah1722
Yes but they know the fit with Barrie already and the production he had. I just don’t see them letting Barrie walk.

But why dump money into a defender that can't defend and occupies roles better suited for the younger and seemingly more adept Bouchard? The smartest thing Holland can do this offseason is to walk away from Barrie. Tippett refuses to play him away from McDavid: I'm assuming he recognizes that Barrie's functionally useless without the insane offensive presence Connor commands.

Hamilton - Norris thing and all - is the only exception to Bouchard not getting PP1 time because defenders of his calibre are rarely made available. Acquiring him should be a priority given that Edmonton doesn't have a defender as good as him.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 10:41 p.m.
This team has sucked for a long time because they could draft or develop players we have two kids in marody and benson in our system that are crushing it and our best plan is to toss them out.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 10:43 p.m.
Jah1722
But why dump money into a defender that can't defend and occupies roles better suited for the younger and seemingly more adept Bouchard? The smartest thing Holland can do this offseason is to walk away from Barrie. Tippett refuses to play him away from McDavid: I'm assuming he recognizes that Barrie's functionally useless without the insane offensive presence Connor commands.

Hamilton - Norris thing and all - is the only exception to Bouchard not getting PP1 time because defenders of his calibre are rarely made available. Acquiring him should be a priority given that Edmonton doesn't have a defender as good as him.

Never said it was a good idea. Just what I think happens.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
Apr. 27, 2021 at 11:31 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Timmah007
This team has sucked for a long time because they could draft or develop players we have two kids in marody and benson in our system that are crushing it and our best plan is to toss them out.

This is the second time you've made one of these comments with nothing to show for it. Do you know something everyone else around the organization doesn't? Benson was lapped by Holloway the day Edmonton chose him at last year's draft and Marody was always a longshot.

Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, and Lavoie all have higher floors AND ceilings than Marody. Are you insinuating that he should get an NHL position over a better player because he's done time in the AHL despite being a notoriously slow skater? Benson isn't a shoot-first player trying to find his way onto a roster of elite playmakers. His footspeed is still a concern, where is he supposed to produce? He was never going to be a powerplay option for this club and doesn't offer what any coach wants out of a penalty killer (faceoffs and/or physicality). Which NHL player on this current roster do either Benson or Marody supplant? Who comes out to get them in? You tell me. Please. I want to know.

It is not illegal to trade extra assets for pieces elsewhere. It is not bad practice to trade players with no place in the system for supplemental draft capital. If anything, that's proper asset management. Are we supposed to sign them both and lose them to waivers? Give your head a shake. Honestly, if you can't back it up, maybe reconsider your opinion?
Apr. 28, 2021 at 3:59 a.m.
Ioriomilkshake
Caps say no. If this is the best they could get for Vanecek, they would rather lose him in the expansion draft.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll