Forums/Armchair-GM

Minimal changes

Created by: brady_t12
Team: 2021-22 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: May 1, 2021
Published: May 1, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
McMichael gets into the lineup rotating with bottom 6 guys, getting some looks in the top 6 throughout the season due to injuries.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$10,000,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
WSH
SEA
  1. Hagelin, Carl
  2. Vanecek, Vitek
Additional Details:
Seattle takes Hagelin’s contract with Vanecek in exchange for the caps choosing not to trade Vanecek away before the expansion draft.

Alternatively, imagine this as two separate deals if you don’t like this idea. Vanecek gets selected, caps dump Hagelin somewhere for some cost.
WSH
  1. 2022 4th round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
After expansion draft, trade Dillon anywhere for anything.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$69,815,427$472,927$165,000$11,684,573
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$10,000,000$10,000,000
LW
UFA - 5
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$791,667$791,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 1, 2021 at 11:54 a.m.
Banned
Seattle isn't dong that, I don't see them taking a G from WSH to begin with. They will take one of either Sprong, Sheary, Schultz from the caps.
You have too many players you can't protect.
Like most playoff teams, you are going to lose a decent piece or cut a deal. In the case of WSH, they should just lose a player. As guys like Sprong or Sheary or Schultz can be replaced.
May 1, 2021 at 12:02 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Those Backstrom and Oshie contracts are so bad man it's not even funny.
I've got precisely 0 faith in Kempny playing top pairing minutes, Orlov has been inconsistent as hell this season and Schultz sucks at defense.
May 1, 2021 at 1:13 p.m.
NHL Insider
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
I've got precisely 0 faith in Kempny playing top pairing minutes, Orlov has been inconsistent as hell this season and Schultz sucks at defense.

Wtf are you talking about. Backstrom is still playing at an elite level. His play might (might!) fall off for the last year of that contract
Eli and All_Knowing liked this.
May 1, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: pharrow
Seattle isn't dong that, I don't see them taking a G from WSH to begin with. They will take one of either Sprong, Sheary, Schultz from the caps.
You have too many players you can't protect.
Like most playoff teams, you are going to lose a decent piece or cut a deal. In the case of WSH, they should just lose a player. As guys like Sprong or Sheary or Schultz can be replaced.

This is interesting. I was talking yesterday on a Leafs thread about how the Kraken could be fine with Holtby/Allen/Hill in net, and they added that Andersen could be a cheap UFA shortly after the expansion draft.

I think WSH cuts a deal with a late-round pick to lose Schultz, Jensen, or Dillon, or if they're thinking long-long term, and can replace him over the summer, maybe a 7th to lose Oshie. The end of the contract is bad, but right now he's in the top-50 in points, and he's from Washington state, so the question isn't whether Seattle should take on the end of the contract. The question is whether WSH can find a different top-six power forward this offseason.
May 1, 2021 at 4:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Eli
This is interesting. I was talking yesterday on a Leafs thread about how the Kraken could be fine with Holtby/Allen/Hill in net, and they added that Andersen could be a cheap UFA shortly after the expansion draft.

I think WSH cuts a deal with a late-round pick to lose Schultz, Jensen, or Dillon, or if they're thinking long-long term, and can replace him over the summer, maybe a 7th to lose Oshie. The end of the contract is bad, but right now he's in the top-50 in points, and he's from Washington state, so the question isn't whether Seattle should take on the end of the contract. The question is whether WSH can find a different top-six power forward this offseason.

did they already try to replace Oshie with Mantha?
Figuring to move him out next year. I think it takes more than a 7th to move him out. He's 35 with 4 years left next year. There is no part of that contract that says good.
I have no doubt teams have already cut deals with Seattle. The biggest issue is going to be how many other teams want cap space and what is the cost.
With how things are right now, aka no to little fans. I don't think Seattle is worried about filling seats.
May 2, 2021 at 9:55 a.m.
Who adds what?
did they already try to replace Oshie with Mantha?
Figuring to move him out next year. I think it takes more than a 7th to move him out. He's 35 with 4 years left next year. There is no part of that contract that says good.
I have no doubt teams have already cut deals with Seattle. The biggest issue is going to be how many other teams want cap space and what is the cost.
With how things are right now, aka no to little fans. I don't think Seattle is worried about filling seats.

By age and cap hit, Oshie would have to be top-100 in points to justify his contract. He's 51st right now. I think some other guys in the top 100 who will be paid more when they are older include Panarin, Tavares, JVR, Doughty, Kopitar, and Pavelski? Any of those guys have negative trade value? No? Then Oshie probably doesn't, either. Especially because he, Kopitar, and Doughty are the only guys in that group who can cover a top scorer or play on a top PK unit if asked. If all you got on him is that he's signed until he turns 38, I don't think that's going to dissuade Ron Francis.

The reason it would cost a 7th for Seattle to commit to Oshie is it means they're not taking Schultz. It would cost more if WSH still has two good goalies available, but I think they trade one before calling Seattle, unless Seattle calls first about taking some cap to get a goalie.
May 2, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
Banned
By age and cap hit, Oshie would have to be top-100 in points to justify his contract. He's 51st right now. I think some other guys in the top 100 who will be paid more when they are older include Panarin, Tavares, JVR, Doughty, Kopitar, and Pavelski? Any of those guys have negative trade value? No? Then Oshie probably doesn't, either. Especially because he, Kopitar, and Doughty are the only guys in that group who can cover a top scorer or play on a top PK unit if asked. If all you got on him is that he's signed until he turns 38, I don't think that's going to dissuade Ron Francis.

The reason it would cost a 7th for Seattle to commit to Oshie is it means they're not taking Schultz. It would cost more if WSH still has two good goalies available, but I think they trade one before calling Seattle, unless Seattle calls first about taking some cap to get a goalie.

you are comparing apples to oranges. Panarin's contract ends at 34, not 38 or 39 or whatever it is. Pavelski has one year left on his and was a 2 year deal when it was signed. JVR ends at 33.
Doughty ends at 37 and is a decent comparable, but that falls apart when he's a defenseman and Oshie is a forward. A. you have a much larger need for defense than forwards in the NHL and B. you can get away with a dip in your speed on defense but not so much at forward. Kopitar is another where I would say that's a bad contract. But still it's only running to 36 not 38. Tacking on those 2 extra years is painful. He also has the advantage of being a much bigger bodied forward. Which tends to lend it self to longevity. But even saying that, his game is not what it use to be now, and I think most people realize that. He is not worth that 10 mil price tag.

Point being, it's a bad contract. You can try to justify it, but he's almost 6 million at 35 with 3 additional years next year. It's a bad situation for anyone to be in taking that on.
It's one thing in guys like Panarin where they are signed till 33-34 years old but you are getting really solid years out of them. But after 32-33, especially for forwards, what you are getting isn't all that.
This is a contract that was signed prior to the league making "the switch" in how they handle contracts. Where they are trying to avoid these +33-34 years in any time of long term agreement.
May 2, 2021 at 9:23 p.m.
Who adds what?
you are comparing apples to oranges. Panarin's contract ends at 34, not 38 or 39 or whatever it is. Pavelski has one year left on his and was a 2 year deal when it was signed. JVR ends at 33.
Doughty ends at 37 and is a decent comparable, but that falls apart when he's a defenseman and Oshie is a forward. A. you have a much larger need for defense than forwards in the NHL and B. you can get away with a dip in your speed on defense but not so much at forward. Kopitar is another where I would say that's a bad contract. But still it's only running to 36 not 38. Tacking on those 2 extra years is painful. He also has the advantage of being a much bigger bodied forward. Which tends to lend it self to longevity. But even saying that, his game is not what it use to be now, and I think most people realize that. He is not worth that 10 mil price tag.

Point being, it's a bad contract. You can try to justify it, but he's almost 6 million at 35 with 3 additional years next year. It's a bad situation for anyone to be in taking that on.
It's one thing in guys like Panarin where they are signed till 33-34 years old but you are getting really solid years out of them. But after 32-33, especially for forwards, what you are getting isn't all that.
This is a contract that was signed prior to the league making "the switch" in how they handle contracts. Where they are trying to avoid these +33-34 years in any time of long term agreement.

The last three years of Oshie's deal, after a summer bonus, he makes 12M over three years. An average cost of $4M. He's 51st in the NHL in points this year. 4th on the Capitals. He's got 67 hits and 25 takeaways in 50 games.

If Seattle takes Oshie, it doesn't mean they can't also take Zucker.
May 2, 2021 at 9:59 p.m.
Banned
The last three years of Oshie's deal, after a summer bonus, he makes 12M over three years. An average cost of $4M. He's 51st in the NHL in points this year. 4th on the Capitals. He's got 67 hits and 25 takeaways in 50 games.

If Seattle takes Oshie, it doesn't mean they can't also take Zucker.

I don't know where you get the zucker part. I don't have seattle taking zucker.
That really is not the point.
The point is you got a guy who will be 35 with 4 years on a contract.
as much as you want to he's 51st in points and 4th on the caps that isn't really saying much. No one has faith he's going to stay that, not even you.
You look at the list of guys 35+ who are playing well you got maybe 5.
You look at the list of guys 36 playing well
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2021/goals?limits=age-36-46
Maybe 3?
Everyone knows they are not what they use to be and most are playing bottom roles or frankly should be.
Why the hell would Seattle want to bring in 6 million for that. It doesn't make any sense. Which is why that isn't going to happen. Not without WSH bribing them to take him.
The age of the player and contract length make no sense for any team to take that on.
May 2, 2021 at 10:53 p.m.
Who adds what?
I don't know where you get the zucker part. I don't have seattle taking zucker.
That really is not the point.
The point is you got a guy who will be 35 with 4 years on a contract.
as much as you want to he's 51st in points and 4th on the caps that isn't really saying much. No one has faith he's going to stay that, not even you.
You look at the list of guys 35+ who are playing well you got maybe 5.
You look at the list of guys 36 playing well
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2021/goals?limits=age-36-46
Maybe 3?
Everyone knows they are not what they use to be and most are playing bottom roles or frankly should be.
Why the hell would Seattle want to bring in 6 million for that. It doesn't make any sense. Which is why that isn't going to happen. Not without WSH bribing them to take him.
The age of the player and contract length make no sense for any team to take that on.

Not every player stays great until they're 38. Ron Francis sure did. Lemieux stayed pretty good. Jagr just won a Czech league championship at 43. I think Francis knows that not everybody has that kind of commitment, but I also think he's probably been watching Oshie for years and has some idea of his work ethic. Chara still arguably plays like a top four defenseman and just set the record for oldest guy with a fighting major. He's not gonna make the all star team this year, but he's still a legend. Oshie is a legend for his shootout win with Team USA. If you're looking to build up a hockey fanbase in an American city, that's a story you want them looking at. If you can't get Mike Eruzione, Oshie is the next best thing. And he's from Washington State. Could Francis ask for a pick? Sure. He can ask. But does WSH mind keeping Oshie? Doubt it.
May 2, 2021 at 11:18 p.m.
Banned
Not every player stays great until they're 38. Ron Francis sure did. Lemieux stayed pretty good. Jagr just won a Czech league championship at 43. I think Francis knows that not everybody has that kind of commitment, but I also think he's probably been watching Oshie for years and has some idea of his work ethic. Chara still arguably plays like a top four defenseman and just set the record for oldest guy with a fighting major. He's not gonna make the all star team this year, but he's still a legend. Oshie is a legend for his shootout win with Team USA. If you're looking to build up a hockey fanbase in an American city, that's a story you want them looking at. If you can't get Mike Eruzione, Oshie is the next best thing. And he's from Washington State. Could Francis ask for a pick? Sure. He can ask. But does WSH mind keeping Oshie? Doubt it.

this idea that they are picking players for marketing reasons is really flawed.
They don't need to "sell" the team. The arena is already sold out.
What they do need to do is build a good team so fans come back. You aren't doing that acquiring over the hill players.
I would also add that Chara is a pylon. He's a statue out there who can't skate in a league this is getting faster and faster.
He can be the oldest guy to get a fighting major all day. The league by far and away is moving past that with fights way down. He's not a top 4 defense anymore, he hasn't really been for some time. Some could argue he's not even one of the caps 6 best Dmen. Mainly due to the fact that he can't move.
Believe me, if he had anything left in the tank BOS would have kept him. But they knew what everyone else does. He can't move.
It's great that you think these "story lines" are what draws fans, but truth is, no fans really care about that, what they want is a winning team. Which is why no one really cares that Marlaue played the most games ever, because everyone who watches hockey already knows he can't play anymore and has been basically wheeled out there with a sweater to break a record.
The job of a GM is to build a good team. Oshie doesn't really do that for Seattle. He just ends up being a bad contract taken in. An older player while the whole rest of the league is getting younger and faster. That doesn't really build confidence in the team. If anything it says they don't get the modern game.
May 3, 2021 at 6:22 a.m.
Who adds what?
this idea that they are picking players for marketing reasons is really flawed.
They don't need to "sell" the team. The arena is already sold out.
What they do need to do is build a good team so fans come back. You aren't doing that acquiring over the hill players.
I would also add that Chara is a pylon. He's a statue out there who can't skate in a league this is getting faster and faster.
He can be the oldest guy to get a fighting major all day. The league by far and away is moving past that with fights way down. He's not a top 4 defense anymore, he hasn't really been for some time. Some could argue he's not even one of the caps 6 best Dmen. Mainly due to the fact that he can't move.
Believe me, if he had anything left in the tank BOS would have kept him. But they knew what everyone else does. He can't move.
It's great that you think these "story lines" are what draws fans, but truth is, no fans really care about that, what they want is a winning team. Which is why no one really cares that Marlaue played the most games ever, because everyone who watches hockey already knows he can't play anymore and has been basically wheeled out there with a sweater to break a record.
The job of a GM is to build a good team. Oshie doesn't really do that for Seattle. He just ends up being a bad contract taken in. An older player while the whole rest of the league is getting younger and faster. That doesn't really build confidence in the team. If anything it says they don't get the modern game.

Pens fans. Great. The more I talk sense, the more you repeat your one or two points. Yes. Old people usually skate slowly. But no, hockey is not purely about skating, any more than it ever was. They still make the standings based on which team scores more goals. So a guy like Oshie who scores more goals and sets up more goals than anyone else Seattle can get? They take him if he's available. Also, you might want to look up how many points Francis got when he was 40, if you're hoping to convince him that Oshie can't be any good at 38. Good luck with that.
All_Knowing liked this.
May 3, 2021 at 10:49 a.m.
Banned
Pens fans. Great. The more I talk sense, the more you repeat your one or two points. Yes. Old people usually skate slowly. But no, hockey is not purely about skating, any more than it ever was. They still make the standings based on which team scores more goals. So a guy like Oshie who scores more goals and sets up more goals than anyone else Seattle can get? They take him if he's available. Also, you might want to look up how many points Francis got when he was 40, if you're hoping to convince him that Oshie can't be any good at 38. Good luck with that.

" who scores more goals and sets up more goals than anyone else Seattle can get? "
this is a false premise.
At almost 6 mil a year for 4 years of cap space, they could use that in many different ways. From FA to collecting a 1st round pick. They just aren't so limited in their choices that their best choice is a guy who is 35 with 4 years left at close to 6 mil per.
As much as you would like to say hockey isn't purely about skating, which it isn't, but if you can't it's very noticeable and it's the first thing that gets older players send down the lineup. Especially as a forward. There is a whole list of forwards who have skill but can't skate. Check out TOR they got a whole list of them. Most of them are 3rd and 4th line guys. It's not like Oshie is a high caliber player like the ones who are. He's not a Bergeron he's not going to give you close to a 60% chance on the dot every night so they can hide him in the OZone where he doesn't need to use his legs. He's not OV with a rocket of a shot who is probably always going to have the best shot on the team he's on. He's a guy who made his bones being a pesky player, an energy player,, using his legs, etc... So aging does not help his game. The play on the ice kind of bares that out. It's one of the reasons WSH fans want to move him. Believe me if he was still playing like he did a few years ago, no one would be suggesting it. They would move so many other players before him.
We'll agree to disagree. But we'll know once the draft happens. Neither one of use is over here trying to convince Francis, he's already made up his mind by now anyway on what he's doing and who he's taking. He's probably already cut deals with several teams.
My guess is , if they do nothing, that Seattle takes a defenseman from WSH. They got guys there who have value, the can always trade them out later for something useful.

If they make a deal my guess is they take Hagelin and get something for doing it. Because the cap hit is far less and only for 2 years.
May 3, 2021 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

You mean Kuznetsov and Orlov? Backstrom is a far better value than Kuznetsov even at a higher salary and Oshie is 36th in the league the past 3 years in total goals and 16th in PP goals and is a key penalty killer and arguably the heart and soul of the team. Meanwhile Orlov contributes absolutely nothing on special teams and only had 1 point in his first 18 games this season though he has been better lately, outside of not missing games he doesn't offer a whole lot and will be 30 soon.
Eli liked this.
May 3, 2021 at 1:32 p.m.
CROSBYFORPRESIDENT
Seattle is taking Oshie. Washington Native and he's too rich for the Caps to keep. Plus he's older. They won't take Hags contract. He's gonna be 33 he's just about at the useless stage of his career
Eli liked this.
May 3, 2021 at 5:49 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: grobkenwood
You mean Kuznetsov and Orlov? Backstrom is a far better value than Kuznetsov even at a higher salary and Oshie is 36th in the league the past 3 years in total goals and 16th in PP goals and is a key penalty killer and arguably the heart and soul of the team. Meanwhile Orlov contributes absolutely nothing on special teams and only had 1 point in his first 18 games this season though he has been better lately, outside of not missing games he doesn't offer a whole lot and will be 30 soon.

Orlov really has been better lately. Since March 7th he's 2nd to Weegar in EVP by a defensemen,* either side. http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=game&dateFrom=2021-03-07&dateTo=2021-05-03&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints&page=0&pageSize=100

I think he started out the year as a stay-at-home partner for Carlson, and took that role a bit too seriously. Orlov needs to rush the puck to be productive, and once the new coaches figured that out, he's been himself again.

*I know, I know, there are four other guys with 16 EVP, but Orlov has more goals and fewer games played. Sorry, Letang, Theodore, Fox, and Chychrun.

Quoting: PENSFAN18
Seattle is taking Oshie. Washington Native and he's too rich for the Caps to keep. Plus he's older. They won't take Hags contract. He's gonna be 33 he's just about at the useless stage of his career

I think Hags to get Vanecek is a very MacLellan type of deal. I'm not sure whether Seattle is the best fit for it. There's probably a team that knows it needs the help in net and on PK. I agree Oshie is a natural choice for Seattle.
May 3, 2021 at 6:59 p.m.
Who adds what?
" who scores more goals and sets up more goals than anyone else Seattle can get? "
this is a false premise.
At almost 6 mil a year for 4 years of cap space, they could use that in many different ways. From FA to collecting a 1st round pick. They just aren't so limited in their choices that their best choice is a guy who is 35 with 4 years left at close to 6 mil per.
As much as you would like to say hockey isn't purely about skating, which it isn't, but if you can't it's very noticeable and it's the first thing that gets older players send down the lineup. Especially as a forward. There is a whole list of forwards who have skill but can't skate. Check out TOR they got a whole list of them. Most of them are 3rd and 4th line guys. It's not like Oshie is a high caliber player like the ones who are. He's not a Bergeron he's not going to give you close to a 60% chance on the dot every night so they can hide him in the OZone where he doesn't need to use his legs. He's not OV with a rocket of a shot who is probably always going to have the best shot on the team he's on. He's a guy who made his bones being a pesky player, an energy player,, using his legs, etc... So aging does not help his game. The play on the ice kind of bares that out. It's one of the reasons WSH fans want to move him. Believe me if he was still playing like he did a few years ago, no one would be suggesting it. They would move so many other players before him.
We'll agree to disagree. But we'll know once the draft happens. Neither one of use is over here trying to convince Francis, he's already made up his mind by now anyway on what he's doing and who he's taking. He's probably already cut deals with several teams.
My guess is , if they do nothing, that Seattle takes a defenseman from WSH. They got guys there who have value, the can always trade them out later for something useful.

If they make a deal my guess is they take Hagelin and get something for doing it. Because the cap hit is far less and only for 2 years.

Wow. You actually have no idea who TJ Oshie is. He's on pace for thirty goals this year, for like the fourth time in five years. He singlehandedly beat Team Russian in a shootout for a bronze medal at the Olympics. The Russians sent out Malkin, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc. The Americans sent Oshie, Oshie, Oshie, and more Oshie. And he beat them. He's got hands for days around the net. He's been net-front on a top-five power play since he arrived in WSH in the summer of 2015, but he's not a power play specialist. At 18 minutes a night he leads the Caps' right wings, still, in ice time. He's only on pace for 110 hits this year, down from his usual 120+, but he's on pace for 30 goals and 35 assists if he could play in 82 games this year. Who else is in the expansion draft who is that good at ice hockey right now? Yes, it's possible that Boston somehow fails to sign Hall, but Hall is on pace for 12 goals this year, so I don't see the relevance. I don't think there's any chance Nuge leaves Edmonton now that they're finally in the playoffs, but Nuge is only on pace for 25 goals this year. He is not currently scoring goals as well as Oshie, even though he plays with better centers. So, no. We don't agree to disagree. I'm right. You're wrong. Oshie is the best player who might be realistically available to Seattle this year. Thanks for playing. Have a nice evening.
May 3, 2021 at 11:49 p.m.
Banned
Wow. You actually have no idea who TJ Oshie is. He's on pace for thirty goals this year, for like the fourth time in five years. He singlehandedly beat Team Russian in a shootout for a bronze medal at the Olympics. The Russians sent out Malkin, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc. The Americans sent Oshie, Oshie, Oshie, and more Oshie. And he beat them. He's got hands for days around the net. He's been net-front on a top-five power play since he arrived in WSH in the summer of 2015, but he's not a power play specialist. At 18 minutes a night he leads the Caps' right wings, still, in ice time. He's only on pace for 110 hits this year, down from his usual 120+, but he's on pace for 30 goals and 35 assists if he could play in 82 games this year. Who else is in the expansion draft who is that good at ice hockey right now? Yes, it's possible that Boston somehow fails to sign Hall, but Hall is on pace for 12 goals this year, so I don't see the relevance. I don't think there's any chance Nuge leaves Edmonton now that they're finally in the playoffs, but Nuge is only on pace for 25 goals this year. He is not currently scoring goals as well as Oshie, even though he plays with better centers. So, no. We don't agree to disagree. I'm right. You're wrong. Oshie is the best player who might be realistically available to Seattle this year. Thanks for playing. Have a nice evening.

dude you're hanging on to things that happened like a decade ago. Oshie hasn't been a real net front for WSH in ages. They park wilson down low. He's been playing off the wall for a long time.
Come on now, you can't get away with "you don't know who he is. We both know I've seen him play a lot. Your typical WSH power play is OV on the Left circle, Wilson down low, and Carlson on the point with both Oshie and Backstrom on the Right wall / below the goal line. Trying to drag the D over for a 1 timer for Ov. He ain't be a real net front man in forever. And you say I don't know the team.....
He's 35 next year. You are here limiting this to the expansion draft. They got all of FA, the regular draft, etc... to get their players.
Furthermore, the question is more than just Oshei as a player, it has every damn thing to do with that contract. You are kidding yourself if you think they are taking that contract.
We'll see soon enough who is actually right.
PENSFAN18 liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 11:50 a.m.
CROSBYFORPRESIDENT
Orlov really has been better lately. Since March 7th he's 2nd to Weegar in EVP by a defensemen,* either side. http://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?reportType=game&dateFrom=2021-03-07&dateTo=2021-05-03&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=evPoints&page=0&pageSize=100

I think he started out the year as a stay-at-home partner for Carlson, and took that role a bit too seriously. Orlov needs to rush the puck to be productive, and once the new coaches figured that out, he's been himself again.

*I know, I know, there are four other guys with 16 EVP, but Orlov has more goals and fewer games played. Sorry, Letang, Theodore, Fox, and Chychrun.

I think Hags to get Vanecek is a very MacLellan type of deal. I'm not sure whether Seattle is the best fit for it. There's probably a team that knows it needs the help in net and on PK. I agree Oshie is a natural choice for Seattle.

If only Hags had his little scoring touch still. It wouldn't surprise me if Hags went to Seattle but I don't know
Eli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll