Forums/Armchair-GM

Please do something besides sign Lundkvist

Created by: Masonh618
Team: 2021-22 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: May 1, 2021
Published: May 1, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The New York Islanders have been our kryptonite all season long… status quo doesn’t cut it no more.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,250,000
3$3,000,000
4$3,250,000
6$6,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
5$4,150,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
NYR
SEA
  1. Gauthier, Julien [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,120,635$0$8,400,000$6,379,365
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 4
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$4,150,000$4,150,000
C
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD
RFA - 3
RD
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,425,000$2,425,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 1, 2021 at 9:20 p.m.
They are too soft. All talent and no grit = golf instead of playoffs.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
May 1, 2021 at 9:29 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: delneggs

We have size and strength but quinn doesn't know how to use it
May 1, 2021 at 9:45 p.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
We have size and strength but quinn doesn't know how to use it

May be right, but I doubt he is telling guys that have size to play soft hockey and only skate around the perimeter. The players decide how they are going to play at the end of the day and most of the Rangers players decide to play soft. And size doesn't matter.....Zucc use to play tough hockey and he is pee wee size in body with a lions heart.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
May 1, 2021 at 9:52 p.m.
Rangers 2023
May be right, but I doubt he is telling guys that have size to play soft hockey and only skate around the perimeter. The players decide how they are going to play at the end of the day and most of the Rangers players decide to play soft. And size doesn't matter.....Zucc use to play tough hockey and he is pee wee size in body with a lions heart.

Agreed, but it doesn't help when quinn constantly scratches guys like gauthier who has all the tools and most of the will to be an impactful physical presence, to play guys like howden who brings literally nothing, also I think kids like lafreniere and kakko have physical elements yet to be seen
May 1, 2021 at 9:58 p.m.
Agreed, but it doesn't help when quinn constantly scratches guys like gauthier who has all the tools and most of the will to be an impactful physical presence, to play guys like howden who brings literally nothing

Don't disagree, Quinn may be part of the problem, but IMO its mostly on our players. I also don't see much physicality from Gauthier for a guy with his size. He hasn't had a ton of chances, so maybe he could be that guy, but I have not seen it from him yet on a consistent basis. What I think they really need is a couple of proven veterans that play a tough in your face game like Marcus Foligno. They need a line that can go head to head with the isles 4th line and beat them at their own game. But that costs money and Ranger management doesn't seem to be willing to pay for these type players, so what we get is what we see.....tons of skill......not much grit.....and no shot at a cup.
Masonh618 liked this.
May 1, 2021 at 10:29 p.m.
Maple Leaf Syndrome. All Finesse and No Grit. Pushed around all night. No presence in front of the net. Everything backed up along the perimeter.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
May 1, 2021 at 11:13 p.m.
Quoting: Shakabakes
Maple Leaf Syndrome. All Finesse and No Grit. Pushed around all night. No presence in front of the net. Everything backed up along the perimeter.

They didn't have to use the Zamboni in front of the Isles net between periods.
May 1, 2021 at 11:23 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Don't disagree, Quinn may be part of the problem, but IMO its mostly on our players. I also don't see much physicality from Gauthier for a guy with his size. He hasn't had a ton of chances, so maybe he could be that guy, but I have not seen it from him yet on a consistent basis. What I think they really need is a couple of proven veterans that play a tough in your face game like Marcus Foligno. They need a line that can go head to head with the isles 4th line and beat them at their own game. But that costs money and Ranger management doesn't seem to be willing to pay for these type players, so what we get is what we see.....tons of skill......not much grit.....and no shot at a cup.

I wouldn't go out of their way to change their entire system and playstyle, I think they can make this skill based style work IMO
May 1, 2021 at 11:26 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
Agreed, but it doesn't help when quinn constantly scratches guys like gauthier who has all the tools and most of the will to be an impactful physical presence, to play guys like howden who brings literally nothing, also I think kids like lafreniere and kakko have physical elements yet to be seen

This is the laziest argument for solving all of the Rangers problems. Gauthier brings nothing to the Rangers except for skating with the puck from one end to the other but then doing nothing. The only reason why Ranger fans bail him out on a game-by-game basis is because they’re (validly) exhausted of watching Howden. Giving one fourth liner fourth line minutes over another one isn’t going to change crap. Far more changes are needed like another impact center (Chytil is a great player but I can’t trust him as much at center compared to at winger).
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
May 1, 2021 at 11:28 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL

I don’t know man. I would like grit but I also thought we already learned that we don’t need to obsess over a Brendan Lemieux.
May 2, 2021 at 1:05 a.m.
Quoting: mhroblak
I don’t know man. I would like grit but I also thought we already learned that we don’t need to obsess over a Brendan Lemieux.

Who said anything about Brendan? I'm talking guys like Marcus Foligno and Adam Lowry, hockey players that play physical and contribute and step up for their teammates. Problem is Rangers don't want to pay $3m+ for guys like these, so they will continue to get run over by physical teams like the Isles. Talent alone doesn't win cups.
May 2, 2021 at 1:09 a.m.
I wouldn't go out of their way to change their entire system and playstyle, I think they can make this skill based style work IMO

I'm not advocating that they do. I'm saying they need one line of players that can play a physical, in your face game like the Isles 4th line. Rooney is Ok at it. If they could add a couple more and have a real 4th line that takes the body and steps up when needed, they would have 3 lines full of skill and one effective line of battlers. That's what I would like to see.
Masonh618 liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 8:17 a.m.
Jimbo1119

I like your references to the Islanders...their 4th line is what sets the pace for them...but it all starts with Trotz. The Isles were a scrambled mess before he arrived- they could score goals, but no lead was ever safe and they weren't an overly physical team either...in short, they had no identity and no plan. Insert Trotz...the team changed on a dime- all due to the system he installed, the team began playing defensively responsible hockey. And the defensive sieve they were- in one year became one of the better D teams in the league, very difficult to play against, and not 1- but 2 goalies were in the Vezina discussion.

As for the Rangers, Quinn does have the identity he WANTS them to assume (fast, relentless, blah blah blah) but he has no system of play- no gameplan- for the players to get aboard to enable them to achieve that identity. The only thing they have then...they go back to what they are comfortable with- freewheeling, trying to be creative, etc. This works against the bad teams that let them freewheel...but the Isles, Bruins, and other good teams ADJUST to the Rangers to inhibit their game...problem is: DQ has no answer to these teams...ie no adjustment of his own. No team wins in any sport by allowing the opponent to play their game...and thats what's happening here.

One more thing- you mention the toughness of Zucc-definitely a player with heart of a lion, in a pint size body...but the team was also soft when he was here. I'm sure they now realize this in Philly- AV also employs a "system" which doesn't adjust well to toughness, grit, and fighting for every inch of ice. Point is: even though the Rangers then had Zucc and a few others that were tough, the team was still overall a soft team and easy to play against.
Masonh618 liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 12:46 p.m.
Quoting: Jimbo1119
I like your references to the Islanders...their 4th line is what sets the pace for them...but it all starts with Trotz. The Isles were a scrambled mess before he arrived- they could score goals, but no lead was ever safe and they weren't an overly physical team either...in short, they had no identity and no plan. Insert Trotz...the team changed on a dime- all due to the system he installed, the team began playing defensively responsible hockey. And the defensive sieve they were- in one year became one of the better D teams in the league, very difficult to play against, and not 1- but 2 goalies were in the Vezina discussion.

As for the Rangers, Quinn does have the identity he WANTS them to assume (fast, relentless, blah blah blah) but he has no system of play- no gameplan- for the players to get aboard to enable them to achieve that identity. The only thing they have then...they go back to what they are comfortable with- freewheeling, trying to be creative, etc. This works against the bad teams that let them freewheel...but the Isles, Bruins, and other good teams ADJUST to the Rangers to inhibit their game...problem is: DQ has no answer to these teams...ie no adjustment of his own. No team wins in any sport by allowing the opponent to play their game...and thats what's happening here.

One more thing- you mention the toughness of Zucc-definitely a player with heart of a lion, in a pint size body...but the team was also soft when he was here. I'm sure they now realize this in Philly- AV also employs a "system" which doesn't adjust well to toughness, grit, and fighting for every inch of ice. Point is: even though the Rangers then had Zucc and a few others that were tough, the team was still overall a soft team and easy to play against.

I agree with everything you're saying. The Rangers have been soft since they lost Prust and Rupp. It my opinion that Ranger management does not value the gritty players, who can also play the game, enough to pay them their value. They would rather pay a guy like Glass less than a million just to have someone willing to stand up for teammates rather than $3.0 million+ for a real hockey player who plays a physical game, adds in some offense and will stand up for teammates. I'm agree with what you are saying about Quinn and Trotz, but the difference is Trotz had the type of players he needed to put his system into place. Martin, Clutterbuck, Czikas, Komorov, etc., are all players that flourish in is system, but if Trotz were to become Ranger coach tomorrow and try to install his system he would have a harder time of it since the Rangers have almost no forwards willing to play this physical type game outside of Rooney. So in that sense, Quinn has a different situation to deal with than Trotz did. But Trotz is one of the best coaches ever and Quinn has been at the NHL level for 4 years and started off trying to rebuild a team, so I don't think its fair to judge him vs a guy like Trotz. He has another year on his contract and I think he deserves to have that year to see what he can do. I think management could help him out by trading for some gritty hockey players though. If not, they will be a good team that beats the bad teams and struggles vs the more physical structured teams that you mentioned.
Masonh618 liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 2:11 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
Who said anything about Brendan? I'm talking guys like Marcus Foligno and Adam Lowry, hockey players that play physical and contribute and step up for their teammates. Problem is Rangers don't want to pay $3m+ for guys like these, so they will continue to get run over by physical teams like the Isles. Talent alone doesn't win cups.

My bad. I misunderstood which type of bottom six players you were looking for.
I hate to exile $6.5M down there, but I feel like Chris Kreider would be a good fit for that role.
May 2, 2021 at 2:16 p.m.
MGITBPITNHL
@Jimbo1119 REALLY random question here, and I apologize if I wasted your time. Are you Jimbo7116 on twitter by any chance?
May 2, 2021 at 2:25 p.m.
Jimbo1119
I agree with everything you're saying. The Rangers have been soft since they lost Prust and Rupp. It my opinion that Ranger management does not value the gritty players, who can also play the game, enough to pay them their value. They would rather pay a guy like Glass less than a million just to have someone willing to stand up for teammates rather than $3.0 million+ for a real hockey player who plays a physical game, adds in some offense and will stand up for teammates. I'm agree with what you are saying about Quinn and Trotz, but the difference is Trotz had the type of players he needed to put his system into place. Martin, Clutterbuck, Czikas, Komorov, etc., are all players that flourish in is system, but if Trotz were to become Ranger coach tomorrow and try to install his system he would have a harder time of it since the Rangers have almost no forwards willing to play this physical type game outside of Rooney. So in that sense, Quinn has a different situation to deal with than Trotz did. But Trotz is one of the best coaches ever and Quinn has been at the NHL level for 4 years and started off trying to rebuild a team, so I don't think its fair to judge him vs a guy like Trotz. He has another year on his contract and I think he deserves to have that year to see what he can do. I think management could help him out by trading for some gritty hockey players though. If not, they will be a good team that beats the bad teams and struggles vs the more physical structured teams that you mentioned.

Reality is- they will try to upgrade in their mental and physical toughness- no matter my opinion on DQ, he’s here at least through midway next season...just hope they don’t gut the team to do that...these young guys- Chytil, Kakko, Krav, Fox, LaF, etc. all have the potential to be real good...if the FO rushes to judgement on these guys based on how the team fared against Pitt and the Isles this year (and Car last year), they will regret it...don’t forget- part of the process in becoming a champ is learning how to pick yourself up after getting hit in the chops (figuratively I mean).
Masonh618 liked this.
May 2, 2021 at 4:13 p.m.
My bad. I misunderstood which type of bottom six players you were looking for.
I hate to exile $6.5M down there, but I feel like Chris Kreider would be a good fit for that role.

Kreider could be that type of player and score 30+ goals a year if he ever decided to be a physical player on a consistent basis, but that just doesn't seem to be in his DNA. He is physical at times and then becomes a beast, and then he returns to being a perimeter player and disappears for a stretch of games. I like him and glad he's a Ranger, just wish he was more committed to play hard physical hockey every game. I know that's never going to happen with him.
May 2, 2021 at 4:20 p.m.
Quoting: Jimbo1119
Reality is- they will try to upgrade in their mental and physical toughness- no matter my opinion on DQ, he’s here at least through midway next season...just hope they don’t gut the team to do that...these young guys- Chytil, Kakko, Krav, Fox, LaF, etc. all have the potential to be real good...if the FO rushes to judgement on these guys based on how the team fared against Pitt and the Isles this year (and Car last year), they will regret it...don’t forget- part of the process in becoming a champ is learning how to pick yourself up after getting hit in the chops (figuratively I mean).

I agree and doubt Gorton and JD will trade any of the kids. They are good hockey players with tons of potential, but they are all pretty soft players. Laffy has a little edge to his game, but other than that, they are not physical players. And neither is Panarin or Mika. And I don't really want them to be anyway, I want them healthy and scoring, so that's why I think we need a 4th line with 3 bruisers that will provide the team the ability to play against the Isles 4th line and still have 3 lines full of skill. I also think when a team has a line that plays physical all the time, the other players feed off that and become more physical and willing to take the body and go to the hard areas of the ice. Its infectious. IMO, the Rangers really need that if they ever want to be a true contender for the cup. Keep all the skill kids, just augment them with a real, top notch, physical 4th line that can also play hockey. No goons, just tough, physical hockey players.
May 3, 2021 at 7:52 a.m.
Jimbo1119
@Jimbo1119 REALLY random question here, and I apologize if I wasted your time. Are you Jimbo7116 on twitter by any chance?

no

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll