SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Other Leagues

Random thought about the AHL

May 2, 2021 at 11:30 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
I think the NHL/AHL should do a better job with team affiliates to help increase the growth of hockey. I know this isn't important at all but I think it's a missed opportunity. Many AHL teams are either extremely far away from their NHL affiliate or are very close. In my opinion, AHL teams should be in medium/big cities to draw hockey interest and are 1-3 hours away from the NHL team. AHL teams could even be in cities like Houston, Portland, Milwaukee to see if they can gain enough hockey interest to support a team.

Some teams I like
San Diego Gulls -> Anaheim Ducks
Cleveland Monsters -> Columbus Blue Jackets
Providence Bruins -> Boston Bruins

Some teams that need to move
Texas Stars -> Houston
Rockford Icehogs -> Milwaukee

I know this is super random and not important but I just wanted to share
May 3, 2021 at 2:52 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Devil1122
I think the NHL/AHL should do a better job with team affiliates to help increase the growth of hockey. I know this isn't important at all but I think it's a missed opportunity. Many AHL teams are either extremely far away from their NHL affiliate or are very close. In my opinion, AHL teams should be in medium/big cities to draw hockey interest and are 1-3 hours away from the NHL team. AHL teams could even be in cities like Houston, Portland, Milwaukee to see if they can gain enough hockey interest to support a team.

Some teams I like
San Diego Gulls -> Anaheim Ducks
Cleveland Monsters -> Columbus Blue Jackets
Providence Bruins -> Boston Bruins

Some teams that need to move
Texas Stars -> Houston
Rockford Icehogs -> Milwaukee

I know this is super random and not important but I just wanted to share

If there's a market in Houston, it's likely going to be an NHL one, not for the AHL. The population is too high and it's already got 3 of the big 4 leagues in it. I recall there being potential for the Coyotes to relocate to Houston a couple years after the Seattle expansion to bring them into both a better market and closer to their divisional opponents. I feel similarly about Milwaukee: I really think they have a shot at being the next expansion franchise if Arizona relocates (second if Houston merely expands into the league). I'm always going to want to see Hartford and Quebec City make their comebacks but the NHL seems intent on not letting that happen.

The only teams that aren't genuinely capitalizing on having their AHL teams close (within a 2ish hour drive or 1 hour flight) to their actual NHL clubs are Calgary, Carolina, Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, and Vancouver. The Canucks might be moving into Abbotsford so their presence on this list might not be permanent.

I think there are two components to this issue: the first being that not all AHL teams are necessarily owned by their parent NHL clubs (most are) and that the AHL itself has the same "issue" with Canadian expansion as the NHL does, but less in terms of audience and more in terms of inter-divisional travel. It would make a ton of sense to put Edmonton's farm team in Saskatoon and Calgary's AHL club in Regina (owned in part or wholly by their NHL clubs to account for finances) for both distance and marketing reasons, but the divisional alignment ends up rather screwy. Beyond that, it's still drastically expensive to own an AHL team: access to the facilities is the hard part, then keeping them funded and profitable is another deal in itself.

I don't know why Carolina lost control of the Checkers. That seemed like a pretty optimal setup.

I think my optimal setup for the teams I listed would be as follows:
- Calgary = Regina
- Carolina = Charlotte
- Edmonton = Saskatoon
- Florida = Miami
- Nashville = Memphis or Atlanta
- Seattle = Portland
- St. Louis = Springfield (Illinois)
- Tampa Bay = Jacksonville
- Vancouver = Abbotsford

Regardless, I think both leagues put way too much emphasis on divisions and because of that, they frequently get in their own way.
Saskleaf, Devil, TheFastAndTheFleuryous and 1 other person liked this.
May 3, 2021 at 4:19 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
If there's a market in Houston, it's likely going to be an NHL one, not for the AHL. The population is too high and it's already got 3 of the big 4 leagues in it. I recall there being potential for the Coyotes to relocate to Houston a couple years after the Seattle expansion to bring them into both a better market and closer to their divisional opponents. I feel similarly about Milwaukee: I really think they have a shot at being the next expansion franchise if Arizona relocates (second if Houston merely expands into the league). I'm always going to want to see Hartford and Quebec City make their comebacks but the NHL seems intent on not letting that happen.

The only teams that aren't genuinely capitalizing on having their AHL teams close (within a 2ish hour drive or 1 hour flight) to their actual NHL clubs are Calgary, Carolina, Edmonton, Florida, Nashville, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, and Vancouver. The Canucks might be moving into Abbotsford so their presence on this list might not be permanent.

I think there are two components to this issue: the first being that not all AHL teams are necessarily owned by their parent NHL clubs (most are) and that the AHL itself has the same "issue" with Canadian expansion as the NHL does, but less in terms of audience and more in terms of inter-divisional travel. It would make a ton of sense to put Edmonton's farm team in Saskatoon and Calgary's AHL club in Regina (owned in part or wholly by their NHL clubs to account for finances) for both distance and marketing reasons, but the divisional alignment ends up rather screwy. Beyond that, it's still drastically expensive to own an AHL team: access to the facilities is the hard part, then keeping them funded and profitable is another deal in itself.

I don't know why Carolina lost control of the Checkers. That seemed like a pretty optimal setup.

- Calgary = Regina
- Carolina = Charlotte
- Edmonton = Saskatoon
- Florida = Miami
- Seattle = Portland
- Vancouver = Abbotsford

Regardless, I think both leagues put way too much emphasis on divisions and because of that, they frequently get in their own way.

YES! I would love too see a battle of Alberta in Saskatchewan.

Frankly it does make a lot of sense to me.

Seattle Portland also makes a lot of sense.

But doesn't Flordia play in Miami? I'm not sure they could support another team very well.
May 3, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Saskleaf

But doesn't Flordia play in Miami? I'm not sure they could support another team very well.

Florida plays in Sunrise, it's about an hour's drive to Miami. More thinking there's money in that town and it's not the worst place to live either. If growing the sport into the latinx community is a goal of the NHL's, getting an AHL team in such a populous area should be a bare minimum.

I mean it's kinda stereotypical, but isn't there a large Russian population in Miami too, or is that just too many crime/drug tv shows and movies lol?
May 3, 2021 at 4:27 p.m.
Go leafs go
Florida plays in Sunrise, it's about an hour's drive to Miami. More thinking there's money in that town and it's not the worst place to live either. If growing the sport into the latinx community is a goal of the NHL's, getting an AHL team in such a populous area should be a bare minimum.

I mean it's kinda stereotypical, but isn't there a large Russian population in Miami too, or is that just too many crime/drug tv shows and movies lol?

Oh, I didn't know that, I thought the Panther played in Miami. I guess it might make sense.

Lol, I don't really know what the majority of the population of Miami is, could be a lot of Russians there.
May 3, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

- Calgary = Regina
- Carolina = Charlotte
- Edmonton = Saskatoon
- Florida = Miami
- Seattle = Portland
- Vancouver = Abbotsford

I'm a little skeptical about Houston. Would they have a strong enough fanbase to support a team? I think the league should put an AHL there to see if they can gain enough fans and interest. If it is successful, put a team there. They should do it with other cities like Kansas City, Quebec City, etc.

I agree that the NHL and AHL have to align to make things work. If every AHL team is 1-2 hours from their NHL team, it would help with the divisions, facilities, etc. Putting them in medium/cities cities near those NHL Teams could help gain interest, sell tickets, and generate more income altogether

Some changes I would make to your ideas
St Louis = Kansas City
Tampa Bay = Orlando
Vancouver = Juneau (bit of a reach)
May 3, 2021 at 4:58 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Saskleaf

I've been to the Miami area and I think it could support a hockey team. When I went to Sunrise, it was so empty. It was an hour's drive and there wasn't much to it. Miami has a very big population and I think it could support an AHL team and maybe even an NHL team. In my opinion, Florida Panthers should move to Miami.

I didn't see a lot of Russians in Miami but there is drugs/crimes in some parts of Miami lol
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 8:41 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Devil1122
I'm a little skeptical about Houston. Would they have a strong enough fanbase to support a team? I think the league should put an AHL there to see if they can gain enough fans and interest. If it is successful, put a team there. They should do it with other cities like Kansas City, Quebec City, etc.

I agree that the NHL and AHL have to align to make things work. If every AHL team is 1-2 hours from their NHL team, it would help with the divisions, facilities, etc. Putting them in medium/cities cities near those NHL Teams could help gain interest, sell tickets, and generate more income altogether

Some changes I would make to your ideas
St Louis = Kansas City
Tampa Bay = Orlando
Vancouver = Juneau (bit of a reach)

I know the league did it before, with the Houston Aeros, with moderate success, but I agree with the thought that it has to be an NHL team. I think if you take a Golden Knights approach, market the hell out of the team, try to get some success early, especially with the Rockets, Astros, and Texans all struggling. I know the Rockets owner seems ready to do what it takes to get a team like Arizona to Houston, and if they play in downtown I think there is a good chance the team can catch, especially if the team is good early, while the other major teams struggle.
Devil liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 12:18 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
I know the league did it before, with the Houston Aeros, with moderate success, but I agree with the thought that it has to be an NHL team. I think if you take a Golden Knights approach, market the hell out of the team, try to get some success early, especially with the Rockets, Astros, and Texans all struggling. I know the Rockets owner seems ready to do what it takes to get a team like Arizona to Houston, and if they play in downtown I think there is a good chance the team can catch, especially if the team is good early, while the other major teams struggle.

That is a good idea but if Arizona relocates, then the Houston NHL team might not be so good. It seems like the Coyotes are on the decline and could rebuild soon so I doubt they have early success
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 8:48 p.m.
Steve Durbano Fan

- Calgary = Regina
- Carolina = Charlotte
- Edmonton = Saskatoon
- Florida = Miami
- Seattle = Portland
- Vancouver = Abbotsford

I cant see the NHL being thrilled about knee capping the WHL by taking away 3 of its best markets especially when it is still to be determined what effect the Abbotsford team will have on the Vancouver Giants given they will compete for the family economical night out market. Memphis or Birmingham would be good for Nashville but I think Hockey is done in Atlanta as even there ECHL is technically in Duluth 25 miles out of Atlanta and still struggling as the only pro game in town.
Aug. 7, 2021 at 9:02 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Steve_Durbanofan11
I cant see the NHL being thrilled about knee capping the WHL by taking away 3 of its best markets especially when it is still to be determined what effect the Abbotsford team will have on the Vancouver Giants given they will compete for the family economical night out market. Memphis or Birmingham would be good for Nashville but I think Hockey is done in Atlanta as even there ECHL is technically in Duluth 25 miles out of Atlanta and still struggling as the only pro game in town.

The NHL does not give a damn about the CHL and neither does the AHL. If that were the case then the player agreement from CHL to AHL would be far more intelligent than it currently is.
A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf, AndrewLadd and 3 others liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll