revamp D without hamilton

Created by: MartysBetter29
Team: 2021-22 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: May 4, 2021
Published: May 4, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trades:

Foote trade very much has the threat of a NJD offersheet in mind otherwise I don't think Tampa does it. Devils could use cap space to overpay for Foote anywhere in the 3M-4M range and Tampa would only get a 2022 2nd. To maintain relationships and get the player at a more reasonable salary Fitz negotiates with Brisbois. Tampa fans I know that return look underwhelming. If cap issues weren't a thing it would be. But also I think those players could be helpful. Will have minimum cap hits and RFA control. Merkley has looked really good with NJ and his stats reflect that in a small sample size. Not saying he could be the next Coleman but on a better team with better linemates I absolutely think he's a good 4th liner or decent 3rd liner. Former 1st round pick so theres something there. Okhotyuk is very defensively sound with little upside. He's probably been the best of the Devils young D in the AHL this year and in a 3rd pair role his game is suited for the NHL. Ik Tampa has a logjam on the left so you'd probably have to move someone to the right. To make the deal more reasonable you get a 2nd which would have been owed in an offersheet and a 3rd for good measure.

MTL: Saw this trade posted by a Habs fan earlier. Right now I would say no as NJ because they need all the RHD help they can get and Subban has been a solid 2nd pair dman this year. Only way I make the trade is with the Larsson and Foote moves done. At that point you are getting 2 players who are more defensively sound and higher upside than PK at this point so it makes sense to move him. I could see Drouin improving on a line with Hughes and Holtz. And if he doesn't then you cut your losses and let him walk in 2 years no harm no foul.

VAN: It seems like Holtby's value is about even maybe slightly negative so that's what I tried to do here. NJ and VAN swap about 20ish draft spots and in the process VAN gets that salary off the books and NJ gets a vet goalie who has been mediocre but might be able to find his game again.

Signings:
Hamilton is no doubt the best defenseman available but might not be the best move. He is (rightfully) going to demand serious term and serious AAV and while NJ can do so I don't know if they should. If they draft Luke Hughes in this scenario, they are looking at a future D core with premiere offensive talents (Smith+Hughes) along with Severson who is primarily a puck mover. Instead of having Hamilton, who plays a similar game, taking up major cap 5 years from now, I'd rather make some shorter term moves to solidify the defensive part of the game and eventually hand the reigns over to the Smith/Hughes/Bahl/Foote/Walsh/Mukhamodullin/Vukojevic generation.

With that in mind Martinez might be at the top of my FA wishlist this year. He could immediately step in and stabilize a top pair. He has a winning pedigree, leads by example on the ice, and has been playing competitive playoff hockey throughout the last decade. And while I'm sure playing for VGK is a big part of it, his offensive #s this year are extremely impressive. He's an older player so the term won't come close to Hamilton. I'd back up the truck if I'm NJ and give him a big AAV on a 2 year deal. Biggest issue is I can see him wanting to win at this point in his career. NJ would have to sell him on why they are ready to be competitive and also structure his deal with protections and an agreement to move him at the deadline to a contender if NJ is out of it. Even if it was a short marriage I would love for him to step in and show the young defensemen what effort it takes on a nightly basis to win.

Larrson isn't what he was supposed to be but hes solid. And at this point thats what I want on the Devils right side. It's why I prefer him over Subban who plays a more dynamic offensive style but probably isn't best characterized as "steady". NJ's left side is ripe with young players and prospects. Smith, Bahl, Okhotyuk, Mukhamodoullin, Hughes (theoretically). I need stable veteran offensive players on the right to balance that and help young players grow. I think Larsson could help Bahl make the transition to the NHL next season, whereas a Bahl-Subban pairing gives me major anxiety.

Coleman: I don't know, this is probably 75% heart 25% head. Hey, he's a good player and he brings great energy. Bring Pickles home.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$2,000,000
1$2,000,000
2$1,100,000
3$2,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,000,000
4$4,000,000
2$5,750,000
Trades
NJD
  1. Foote, Cal [RFA Rights]
TBL
  1. Merkley, Nick [RFA Rights]
  2. Okhotiuk, Nikita
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (NYI)
  4. 2022 4th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Oilers condition met. Pick is 2022 3rd.
NJD
  1. Holtby, Braden
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (NJD)
NJD
    Expansion
    Buyouts
    Recapture Fees
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the VAN
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the CBJ
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the NJD
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$62,011,096$0$3,357,500$19,488,904
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New Jersey Devils
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    C
    UFA - 6
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, LW
    RFA - 4
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 6
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333
    LW
    RFA - 3
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $4,166,666$4,166,666
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,800,000$2,800,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RD
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $795,000$795,000 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $2,822,764$2,822,764
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 4, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
    Cal Foote is not eligible to receive an OS and since Foote hasnt played too well in his 1st year he might just sign his tender with Tampa try to make the team out of camp next season.
    May 4, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
    MartysBetter
    Quoting: IamDaPlum
    Cal Foote is not eligible to receive an OS and since Foote hasnt played too well in his 1st year he might just sign his tender with Tampa try to make the team out of camp next season.

Oh wow is he not? If that's true that totally throws a wrench into these plans lol.
    May 4, 2021 at 3:01 p.m.
    That’s a lot of money for Martinez.
    I like him, but whoa.
    May 4, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
    MartysBetter
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    That’s a lot of money for Martinez.
    I like him, but whoa.

It is no doubt. But even with that and some other pretty expensive signings NJ still ends up with 16M cap space. Plus Butcher and Holtby come off the books for the next year (last of Martinez contract) so re-signing players shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't go longer than 2 years at that AAV but if NJ is going to entice him to sign it'll have to be an overpay and they can afford to do so.
    NHLfan10506 liked this.
    May 4, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
    Quoting: MartysBetter29
    Oh wow is he not? If that's true that totally throws a wrench into these plans lol.

From what I found he needs to play at least 80 NHL games, along with some other requirements to be OSed.
    MartysBetter29 liked this.
    May 4, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.
    Canucks decline they aren't trading a pick just to move Holtby
    May 4, 2021 at 3:15 p.m.
    MartysBetter
    Quoting: IamDaPlum
    From what I found he needs to play at least 80 NHL games, along with some other requirements to be OSed.

Interesting I'll have to look more into that.

If you don't mind what have your thoughts been on Foote so far? I've liked the player since his draft year but like you mentioned it doesn't seem like he's been as good as fans would hope. Just tough luck or noticeable things he needs to improve on?
    May 4, 2021 at 3:16 p.m.
    Speak of the Devil
    I like all of these moves but these are some tweaks I would make
    Tampa trade; I think Boqvist+2nd for Foote makes sense for both teams. Devils want Foote and Boqvist could be a great addition for Tampa. He's on ELC and has potential to be a middle 6 winger
    Montreal trade: I like the idea of this trade if we trade for Foote, but tbh I rather have Nolan Foote on the second line over Drouin. Maybe Subban for a pick could work
    Canucks trade: I like the idea of Holtby but I think we could get more since the Canucks need to free up cap space.

I agree with the Hamilton take. His term/money could backfire on us. I like the Martinez, Coleman and Larsson signings.

Another idea is to move Smith to the right side
    LHD: L Hughes, Mukamudullin, Bahl
    RHD: Smith, Severson, Foote
    May 4, 2021 at 3:21 p.m.
    Quoting: MartysBetter29
    Interesting I'll have to look more into that.

If you don't mind what have your thoughts been on Foote so far? I've liked the player since his draft year but like you mentioned it doesn't seem like he's been as good as fans would hope. Just tough luck or noticeable things he needs to improve on?

I dont think Foote has been terrible, Coop seems to trust him on some nights playing him 20+ min then others he plays below 10. Probably doing the same thing they did with Sergy just easing into being a NHL Dman.
    May 4, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
    GO BOLTS
    Foote has not been bad but not overly impressive. Luke Schenn has been the coach's choice as third D. TB will sign him for about a million. Still believe he has a career not sure it will be top pairing.
    May 4, 2021 at 3:55 p.m.
    MartysBetter
    Quoting: Devil1122
    I like all of these moves but these are some tweaks I would make
    Tampa trade; I think Boqvist+2nd for Foote makes sense for both teams. Devils want Foote and Boqvist could be a great addition for Tampa. He's on ELC and has potential to be a middle 6 winger
    Montreal trade: I like the idea of this trade if we trade for Foote, but tbh I rather have Nolan Foote on the second line over Drouin. Maybe Subban for a pick could work
    Canucks trade: I like the idea of Holtby but I think we could get more since the Canucks need to free up cap space.

I agree with the Hamilton take. His term/money could backfire on us. I like the Martinez, Coleman and Larsson signings.

Another idea is to move Smith to the right side
    LHD: L Hughes, Mukamudullin, Bahl
    RHD: Smith, Severson, Foote

I legit really like all of those ideas/adjustments!

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll