SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Kirill Semyonov (1 Year / $825,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 5, 2021 at 3:38 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Emoon
Interesting. I guess the failed Lehtonen and Barabanov experiments didn't hurt the Leafs rep

Quoting: exo2769
Right?!?! This boggles the mind. Good signing for TOR, but a bad decision by Semyonov

Quoting: Hockyluv21
Those guys still got their foot in the NHL door and seem to be doing well in their new homes. The Leafs did their job even if they didn't make it full-time with the Leafs.

But from the player point of view...did they??? If I'm signing as a free agent...wouldn't I want to search for a team that would provide at least a little assurances of NHL ice time. Lehtonen played 9 games out of 28. That's a fail in my book. I don't subscribe to the arsonist/fire fighter analogy of...well at least they traded him. He could have gone to CBJ before the season started.

Quoting: Gauss
Maybe no other time gave then any offers or even interested and only after seeing the few games they played with Toronto became interested. It may have been the only available step in the door to the NHL

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but it should be known that part of the Leafs' sales pitch to these guys coming from overseas is that they will find them NHL employment, be it with the Leafs or another club. They get every chance to earn their keep in the blue and white, but if the team depth doesn't leave these guys a place to play, Dubas does right by these guys and finds them a place where they'll see icetime.

I don't see why Barabanov would be upset about going to San Jose (who doesn't want to play hockey in California???) where he gets a higher role on the roster, can produce, and secure a second NHL contract.

Just because they didn't become the next Panarin and ended up on another roster doesn't mean that no European or Russian player should ever want to sign with the Leafs. If anything, it could be one of the better moves in your early career.
LeafsFanForSomeReason, Emoon, BCAPP and 2 others liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 3:55 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
Quoting: Saskleaf
Give it 3 weeks and this guy will be the most overhyped player on planet earth awesome face

Russian Patrice Bergeron???
Saskleaf and Catch liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 4:01 p.m.
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
Russian Patrice Bergeron???

Patrice Bergeron wishes.
Faulk_my_Dzingel liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 6:28 p.m.
Interesting. I guess the failed Lehtonen and Barabanov experiments didn't hurt the Leafs rep

Leafs almost always do right by these players. They get opportunities, and when they don't work out The Leafs try and find them a better fit, rather than just sitting them or burying them in the minors. There's a reason those guys choose Toronto.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 6:59 p.m.

Why would they?

You can't guarantee someone that they'll make an NHL team.

But you can guarantee them a fair shot and a mid-season trade if things don't work out.

Barabanov + Lehtonen are playing for NHL contracts right now instead of sitting in a pressbox.

What more could they expect?
Saskleaf and Trickster liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 7:04 p.m.
I know this will stoke the haters but I only speak truth:

McDavid has been real quiet since this signing.
May 5, 2021 at 7:41 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but it should be known that part of the Leafs' sales pitch to these guys coming from overseas is that they will find them NHL employment, be it with the Leafs or another club. They get every chance to earn their keep in the blue and white, but if the team depth doesn't leave these guys a place to play, Dubas does right by these guys and finds them a place where they'll see icetime.

I don't see why Barabanov would be upset about going to San Jose (who doesn't want to play hockey in California???) where he gets a higher role on the roster, can produce, and secure a second NHL contract.

Just because they didn't become the next Panarin and ended up on another roster doesn't mean that no European or Russian player should ever want to sign with the Leafs. If anything, it could be one of the better moves in your early career.

This is actually easy to answer...IMO. Lehtonen specifically was given 9 games. Thats pretty embarrassing if that's supposed to be "a true shot at the NHL". What CBJ is doing is providing a true NHL shot. Lehtonen chose TOR when he could have gone to CBJ out of the gate. Again! Not TORs fault. Sign 4 guys every year for all I care and have them sit on the taxi squad just in case they're the next Panarin. You get the first crack. I'm just surprised guys keep going to TOR when their track record is soo poor.
May 5, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Is this the annual KHL signing for the Leafs?

We've had the likes of Zaitsev, Mikheyev, Ozhiganov, Barabanov, Lehtonen etc.

The leafs need to get creative to fill their lineup on elcs with our cap. If we can get 3rd line #4-5 d production for an elc price instead of 2-3 million it's a huge win. If they don't pan out no big deal.

It's not perfect but it's a good part of a solution to team building given our cap
palhal and Trickster liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 8:18 p.m.

I'm with you. I hated the Lehtonen trade at first as I thought he was good insurance. But once I thought it through I realized it was essential for showing to future European and NCAA UFAs: the leafs won't hold you back if you can't get ice time with us
BeterChiarelli and Trickster liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
was not on my radar for KHL targets as I thought he was going to stay with Avangard

good thing I was wrong

Kid can play well and his team recently won the KHL's equivalent to the Stanley Cup so not bad

Plus he knows and has played with Mikheyev in the KHL so added bonus lul

Sure at times makes some bad passes but Keefe and his team can work on that

In general there is gonna be a war for the 3c spot between Kerfoot, Semyonov, and Steeves and I am all for it as competition brings the best out of people

I have not heard from anywhere that Steeves is near NHL ready.
May 5, 2021 at 8:21 p.m.
I think 3rd liner. I think the leafs are planning for Kerfoot to get taken by Seattle and make Semyonov his replacement. Makes sense as Mikheyev is playing on the third line and Semyonov played with him when both were in the KHL

Kerfoots NHL PPG is higher than Semyonov's KHL ppg.

I'd love it if he becomes a 3c, but I'm happy if he's an NHL regular.
Trickster liked this.
May 5, 2021 at 8:38 p.m.

Quoting: Claesson4Norris
Leafs almost always do right by these players. They get opportunities, and when they don't work out The Leafs try and find them a better fit, rather than just sitting them or burying them in the minors. There's a reason those guys choose Toronto.

This is actually easy to answer...IMO. Lehtonen specifically was given 9 games. Thats pretty embarrassing if that's supposed to be "a true shot at the NHL". What CBJ is doing is providing a true NHL shot. Lehtonen chose TOR when he could have gone to CBJ out of the gate. Again! Not TORs fault. Sign 4 guys every year for all I care and have them sit on the taxi squad just in case they're the next Panarin. You get the first crack. I'm just surprised guys keep going to TOR when their track record is soo poor.

Exo I gotta be honest here:

It seems like your understanding of the situation is extremely poor.

I'm just surprised you keep chiming in to repeat an ill though out opinion.

Good day to you sir.
May 5, 2021 at 9:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BCAPP
I have not heard from anywhere that Steeves is near NHL ready.

Steeves will need at least a short stint with the Marlies to improve his skating but hes basically NHL ready

usually college kids adapt quicker to the NHL and Steeves was producing the same as Pinto in his final NCAA year
May 5, 2021 at 9:18 p.m.
Steeves will need at least a short stint with the Marlies to improve his skating but hes basically NHL ready

I don't know anything about the guy behind his NCAA numbers and they're fine but nothing special
May 5, 2021 at 11:22 p.m.
Quoting: Hockyluv21
Those guys still got their foot in the NHL door and seem to be doing well in their new homes. The Leafs did their job even if they didn't make it full-time with the Leafs.

Barabanov was a fail for TO. He's on a point per game pace in SJ and looks really slick with Kane and Hertl. 2 goals and 4 assists with the sharks in 6 games so far. Granted he probably didn't get a top six look in toronto.
May 6, 2021 at 12:03 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Right?!?! This boggles the mind. Good signing for TOR, but a bad decision by Semyonov

The Leafs don't have much depth at centre, especially if Kerfoot traded for cap reasons or is claimed by Seattle. So Semyonov might find spot in Toronto. IMO one reason the Leafs have been successful in signing European UFAs is that the AHL club is in Toronto. If they don't make the Leafs, they stay in their new home (especially important if married and have kids), and they are still in a major North American city.
Lehtonen could have played for the Leafs, but the Leafs just didn't have any injuries to their Dmen. Barbanov just no room for at LW. Give the Leafs credit, they allowed those players to be traded to places where they show off their NHL skills before they UFAs this summer.
exo2769 and Trickster liked this.
May 6, 2021 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: crankshaft
Barabanov was a fail for TO. He's on a point per game pace in SJ and looks really slick with Kane and Hertl. 2 goals and 4 assists with the sharks in 6 games so far. Granted he probably didn't get a top six look in toronto.

He destroyed the AHL in a short sample size too.

In the middle of his stint he got a couple games with Nylander and Tavares.

It's quite possible he didn't get a good enough audition in Toronto, but it's sometimes hard to give those auditions when at Toronto's stage of building.

He looked hard working, with good hustle and instincts in all his play in Toronto. But he never concerted it into offense. Could it have been bad puck luck/limited opportunity in Toronto? 100%. I would also in a non human emotions world have rather kept him for playoff depth.

But considering human emotions I'm glad for him the leafs sent him somewhete we can be given a longer shot. Hopefully he turns into something for you guys. Cheers smile
May 6, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
The Leafs don't have much depth at centre, especially if Kerfoot traded for cap reasons or is claimed by Seattle. So Semyonov might find spot in Toronto. IMO one reason the Leafs have been successful in signing European UFAs is that the AHL club is in Toronto. If they don't make the Leafs, they stay in their new home (especially important if married and have kids), and they are still in a major North American city.
Lehtonen could have played for the Leafs, but the Leafs just didn't have any injuries to their Dmen. Barbanov just no room for at LW. Give the Leafs credit, they allowed those players to be traded to places where they show off their NHL skills before they UFAs this summer.

As well for Russian players the leafs have invested in trying to make the transition easier. For the Scandinavian countries they often already speak a fair bit of English, but less so for many Russian players. The culture shock can be large. The leafs recognized that and have hired Antropov, who while not Russian (Kazakhstani) must speak Russian as he said he's taken it upon himself to help their transition ( https://www.tsn.ca/nik-antropov-finding-real-joy-in-development-role-with-toronto-maple-leafs-1.1469528)

We are also a multicultural city who I have heard (but what do I know) makes non North Americans more comfortable (but I feel like many NHL cities can boast this)
palhal liked this.
May 6, 2021 at 6:09 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Be useful if CF had his stats

Now that CF has put his stats out, it's a decent signing, if he does well he can be a decent depth piece for the leafs and if he sucks he can just play in the AHL and move somewhere else when the year ends
May 6, 2021 at 9:20 p.m.
He destroyed the AHL in a short sample size too.

In the middle of his stint he got a couple games with Nylander and Tavares.

It's quite possible he didn't get a good enough audition in Toronto, but it's sometimes hard to give those auditions when at Toronto's stage of building.

He looked hard working, with good hustle and instincts in all his play in Toronto. But he never concerted it into offense. Could it have been bad puck luck/limited opportunity in Toronto? 100%. I would also in a non human emotions world have rather kept him for playoff depth.

But considering human emotions I'm glad for him the leafs sent him somewhete we can be given a longer shot. Hopefully he turns into something for you guys. Cheers smile

He keeps creating. 6 in 6 now. It does help that both Kane and Hertl are really hot right now but he doesn't look out of place at all. It's weird that our biggest bright spots this year are two Russians (Knyzhov and Barabanov) when Russians haven't really worked here since Nabokov.

He said in a pregame interview that TO coaches didn't trust him. I don't see why, he battles, holds onto pucks well, plays both ends and creates. Hope he gets a contract from Wilson.
BCAPP liked this.
May 6, 2021 at 9:56 p.m.
He keeps creating. 6 in 6 now. It does help that both Kane and Hertl are really hot right now but he doesn't look out of place at all. It's weird that our biggest bright spots this year are two Russians (Knyzhov and Barabanov) when Russians haven't really worked here since Nabokov.

He said in a pregame interview that TO coaches didn't trust him. I don't see why, he battles, holds onto pucks well, plays both ends and creates. Hope he gets a contract from Wilson.

I didnt see a lack of trust so much as too many options and he never wowed

Personally id have cut ties with Vesey earlier, but I don't think I'd have put Barabanov high in the line up even then.

Glad he's getting his shot now
May 6, 2021 at 9:57 p.m.

I think it was bad luck on his part.

He was getting like 10 minutes a night and no pp time. He didn't wow but I think you need a little luck to have the opportunity to wow with such minimal minutes.
crankshaft liked this.
May 6, 2021 at 10:08 p.m.
I think it was bad luck on his part.

He was getting like 10 minutes a night and no pp time. He didn't wow but I think you need a little luck to have the opportunity to wow with such minimal minutes.

And you we're right. Toronto is competing for the cup and SJ is "resetting" (whatever the fudge that means) SJ is trying all kinds of rookies this year so Barbs chances in SJ we're always going to be a bit better being that he's sort of a vet in KHL and for his size is pretty strong compared to the likes of Chmelevski, blichfeld etc. He's also very confident. Lets hope it's not a flash in the pan and he can become a strong middle six nhler for us for a few years. He's no Kaprizov or Panarin but he can be a good player still.
BCAPP liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 6:14 p.m.
Quoting: palhal

I agree but I do think the Leafs have good center depth at the moment:

All these guys can play center in the NHL (even if they aren't currently):

Tavares
Matthews
Nylander
Kerfoot
Engvall
Brooks
Foligno
Spezza
Thorton
Galchuk
Nash
Petan
Malgin
Kossila
Suomela
May 7, 2021 at 8:52 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Is this the annual KHL signing for the Leafs?

We've had the likes of Zaitsev, Mikheyev, Ozhiganov, Barabanov, Lehtonen etc.

You forgot to add C. Rosen, A. Borgman and K. Kaskisuo.
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit