Forums/Armchair-GM

What do we do next year with this surplus

Created by: Jco5ta5
Team: 2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: May 6, 2021
Published: May 7, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What are we doing with all these players? Having too many is a "good problem" but this is nutso. StanBo will have to move some pieces for more draft or AHL capital. Who stays/who goes?

My opinion? Glad you asked...

Offense:
Reichel: signs and plays in AHL. Maybe he's NHL ready but 1 year in AHL will do him good and he can work on intangibles and gaining size and NA experience. Plus there's just too much of a logjam. We can keep another guy on the roster who can be trade bait at the TDL and bring him up late.
Hardman: AHL
Borgstrom: should be given an opportunity to play on the NHL roster and see what we got in him.
Shalunov: hopefully he'd like to come over and try the NHL out. I understand he wants to come over with his best comrade but again...logjam idk if it'll happen. If he wants to stay in KHL because of that then so be it I guess.
Hinostroza: Give him 1 more year. He's earned it. He plays well here. He's from Chicago. If he does well he could be traded at TDL or after this next season he can not be resigned.
Kurashev: for all of you folks reading this, Kurashev is my boy. Been loving this guy since he was drafted. He's 3rd youngest on the team and though he will never wow us with offense, he's a great bottom 6 winger.
Connolly/Gaudette: Seattle will take one of them. No way they take De Haan.
Carpenter: should be traded this offseason to make more room. I love him but he's replaceable.
Kampf: should give him 1 more year at the 4C position. If he doesn't turn it around he can be gone after next season or TDL for anyone looking for depth.
Suter: I think he's very serviceable middle 6 LW and a nice fill in centerman but also maybe he's traded this offseason? Wouldn't mind it so much if they got a 2nd or 3rd for him.
Nylander: ugh... please go away
Entwistle: AHL

Defense:
Keith: needs to be 2LD badly. Limit him to 18 minutes a game.
Kalynuk: might need to be defacto 1LD. Not ideal.
Zadorov: needs to leave this offseason. Don't resign him.
Mitchell: I've cooled on him this year but he hopefully has a good offseason and puts on some weight and trains well for next season.
Beaudin: I think he'd be a great 3LD but I think he's odd man out unless Hawks find a way to rid themselves of both Zadorov and De Haan.
Regula: AHL but regular call up guy
Boqvist: I'm back to hating him. His offense isn't good enough to make up for his defense. dude should've spent last two seasons in AHL technically but he's too sexy of a name to not bring up and Hawks D is atrocious. But this guy is drowning up in the NHL right now.

Goalies:
Delia and Subban: one of them needs to go, the other in the AHL goalie. I'd vote Subban out as he is a legit NHL backup and has more value. Delia can go to AHL and be emergency back up.
Lankinen: he's a 1B or backup at best. Hawks should pursue a new goalie for next year. Dubnyk or Driedger?

Discuss.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
2$1,300,000
1$1,100,000
1$900,000
2$2,000,000
2$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$950,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
31$81,500,000$69,678,509$452,439$5,382,500$11,821,491
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$6,400,000$6,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 2
$3,700,000$3,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, C
RFA
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,300,000$1,300,000
LW
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$912,500$912,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C
RFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, C
RFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
LD
UFA - 2
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
RFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 7, 2021 at 1:10 a.m.
You had me until the boqvist stuff

no, just no. stop it
May 7, 2021 at 6:01 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Tyler_A10

no, just no. stop it

Well, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 7:16 a.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: Tyler_A10

no, just no. stop it

Idk, I see only facts on the Boqvist front. Kicking Nylander to the curb is a bad take though, although his injury came at a pretty inopportune time
Jco5ta5 liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 9:24 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Idk, I see only facts on the Boqvist front. Kicking Nylander to the curb is a bad take though, although his injury came at a pretty inopportune time

I hear ya. I can be overly critical at times. Boqvist and Nylander just hit a nerve with me. To be honest, the team's offense isn't much of an issue (though yes it could use some work) to the point where Nylander's offensive ability makes that big of a difference or is "needed". His defensive game is improving but also not where it needs to be and similarly to Boqvist, his offense doesn't overcome his defensive ineptitude or his inconsistent play. You're right, poor timing. This was his prove it year. Now he'll have yet another prove it year next year with even more limited space on the roster which is why I felt he could/should be given an opportunity with another team who could use him. Maybe NJ, Detroit, or CBJ could take him and plug him in and see if he can produce.
May 7, 2021 at 9:27 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I agree with you that a team can't have "enough good players", but the the that Hawks finished out of the playoffs, would seem to indicate they don't enough NHLers at this time.
Jco5ta5 and Aussie_Blackhawk liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 9:33 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: palhal
I agree with you that a team can't have "enough good players", but the the that Hawks finished out of the playoffs, would seem to indicate they don't enough NHLers at this time.

Yes and no. Part of this is system, being outcoached, defense is a liability and hasn't improved in 3 years, and riding 3 inexperienced back up goalies all year. There was definitely overall improvement in the team. This is the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the league I believe and a few guys who played all year (like Kurashev) I think weren't expected to be ready this year. I think the correct way to analyze the Hawks is that they have a ton of NHL ready players but not many impactful NHL players. Kurashev is a nice player but he's not going to put up more than 20-30 points while playing a defensive game for instance.

Your impact NHL players/prospects are Dach (injured), Boqvist (injured and had up/down season), and Reichel (dude is 19 years old). That's it.

That's how I view it. Let me know if I'm missing anything or being overly critical.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 9:40 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Jco5ta5
Yes and no. Part of this is system, being outcoached, defense is a liability and hasn't improved in 3 years, and riding 3 inexperienced back up goalies all year. There was definitely overall improvement in the team. This is the youngest or 2nd youngest team in the league I believe and a few guys who played all year (like Kurashev) I think weren't expected to be ready this year. I think the correct way to analyze the Hawks is that they have a ton of NHL ready players but not many impactful NHL players. Kurashev is a nice player but he's not going to put up more than 20-30 points while playing a defensive game for instance.

Your impact NHL players/prospects are Dach (injured), Boqvist (injured and had up/down season), and Reichel (dude is 19 years old). That's it.

That's how I view it. Let me know if I'm missing anything or being overly critical.

I don't know the Hawks and their depth as much as you do. But from the an outsiders view, the Hawks seem to have some fine prospects. The Hawks organization job is to get those youngsters ready to be NHL good and soon. Hawks got a break with Shaw and maybe Seabrook on permanent LTIR which opens up over 11m in cap. Plus what the the Toews situation next season?
I wonder if the Hawks feel there is a good UFA good available like Dreiger, who can be the guy for the next five years. Solidifying the goalie position I would say is paramount next season.
Jco5ta5 liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 9:41 a.m.
CHI NYI
I hear ya. I can be overly critical at times. Boqvist and Nylander just hit a nerve with me. To be honest, the team's offense isn't much of an issue (though yes it could use some work) to the point where Nylander's offensive ability makes that big of a difference or is "needed". His defensive game is improving but also not where it needs to be and similarly to Boqvist, his offense doesn't overcome his defensive ineptitude or his inconsistent play. You're right, poor timing. This was his prove it year. Now he'll have yet another prove it year next year with even more limited space on the roster which is why I felt he could/should be given an opportunity with another team who could use him. Maybe NJ, Detroit, or CBJ could take him and plug him in and see if he can produce.

I don't disagree with the idea that Nylander is somewhat superfluous. I've tried mapping out the roster for next year a couple of times and I still have no idea where he is going to fit in. But yeah, I liked how he was progressing towards the end of last season and I know that I, at least, was expecting more good things from him this year. He still kinda has the shine of a former top 10 pick, so we know he has potential. I'm hoping he gets one more chance to show he can live up to it, hopefully with us
Jco5ta5 liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 9:57 a.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: palhal
I don't know the Hawks and their depth as much as you do. But from the an outsiders view, the Hawks seem to have some fine prospects. The Hawks organization job is to get those youngsters ready to be NHL good and soon. Hawks got a break with Shaw and maybe Seabrook on permanent LTIR which opens up over 11m in cap. Plus what the the Toews situation next season?
I wonder if the Hawks feel there is a good UFA good available like Dreiger, who can be the guy for the next five years. Solidifying the goalie position I would say is paramount next season.

Driedger seems to be the consensus on here for free agent goalie signings. I've always been partial to Dubnyk recently but at 35 he might not be the guy. Honestly, if Vegas needs cap space, I'd go after MAF.

No one knows the Toews situation but a recently press conference around the TDL noted that he's progressing and feeling better and plan is he will be part of the team next year. No clue though what is going on and obviously what kind of player he'll be next year.
palhal liked this.
May 7, 2021 at 10:54 p.m.
I am a Boqvist fan and I am on the side of giving Nylander a chance. I think boqvist needs a more mobile partner on the LD. A player like Lindholm from the Ducks would be a good get. To get him however we would have to give up some of the names you just mentioned I would reckon.

I think you missed Hagel. I believe he is part of our plans moving forward and has the right attitude and determination to play a role in the lineup.

I agree with Vinnie, it would be the same for Gaudette if he doesn't get picked up in the expansion.

Borgstrom and Reichel will be in the system next year whether its mixing it up between AHL and NHL, they will be around.

I do like Kurashev and appreciate Suter but they could be pieces that get used to get what we really need (top LD(Lindholm))

Mitchell and Beaudin are still super young and will continue their development into next season providing Stan doesn't pull a Jokiharju on us!

Kalynuk looks to be a good get and will continue to be in the lineup and I agree could fill in the top line until we get someone. Zadorov has a lot to offer a team, just doesn't seem to fit with what we do and how we play.

I think Regula will get more NHL time next year and Entwhistle is on the cusp, probably going to split time between AHL and NHL.
May 8, 2021 at 8:25 p.m.
Hawks Fan
Quoting: Aussie_Blackhawk
I am a Boqvist fan and I am on the side of giving Nylander a chance. I think boqvist needs a more mobile partner on the LD. A player like Lindholm from the Ducks would be a good get. To get him however we would have to give up some of the names you just mentioned I would reckon.

I think you missed Hagel. I believe he is part of our plans moving forward and has the right attitude and determination to play a role in the lineup.

I agree with Vinnie, it would be the same for Gaudette if he doesn't get picked up in the expansion.

Borgstrom and Reichel will be in the system next year whether its mixing it up between AHL and NHL, they will be around.

I do like Kurashev and appreciate Suter but they could be pieces that get used to get what we really need (top LD(Lindholm))

Mitchell and Beaudin are still super young and will continue their development into next season providing Stan doesn't pull a Jokiharju on us!

Kalynuk looks to be a good get and will continue to be in the lineup and I agree could fill in the top line until we get someone. Zadorov has a lot to offer a team, just doesn't seem to fit with what we do and how we play.

I think Regula will get more NHL time next year and Entwhistle is on the cusp, probably going to split time between AHL and NHL.

Thanks for your thoughts. I hope Kurashev isn’t gone! He’s my boy!

I put Hagel in the lineup but I didn’t talk about him in the discussion. That being said he 100% should be in the lineup. Love what he brings.
Aussie_Blackhawk liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 8:40 p.m.
Thanks for your thoughts. I hope Kurashev isn’t gone! He’s my boy!

I put Hagel in the lineup but I didn’t talk about him in the discussion. That being said he 100% should be in the lineup. Love what he brings.

I like what Kurashev brings and hopefully he is in the lineup. If it came down to it, I would take him over Nylander if they were up for discussion in trade talks.
Jco5ta5 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll