Forums/Armchair-GM

Never though Id see the day

Created by: jnowariak
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: May 8, 2021
Published: May 8, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With the second consecutive scratch, it looks like Parise is all but done. Another off-season will probably make the situation worse and nobody wants to see it.

I saw the buyout suggested on Twitter last night and it’s the best thing for all parties IMO. Parise can walk to retirement or find an opportunity elsewhere. The Wild gain a roster space and add short term cap flexibility through the end of Dumba’s contract. The 4 year buyout hit will happen after the cap goes up so the impact I will be negligible in that sense.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$81,500,000$48,363,461$0$0$33,136,539
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 8, 2021 at 4:52 p.m.
Patient gm
Is it an injury or a healthy scratch?
May 8, 2021 at 4:53 p.m.
Quoting: Lightman13
Is it an injury or a healthy scratch?

Healthy scratch. Suggestion is that he’s the odd man out.
Lightman13 and TanSor liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 4:57 p.m.
Retirement recapture is about $5 million for 4 years, so it is actually about $2.5 million/year better for the Wild if he retires.
yikes, TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:03 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited May 8, 2021 at 5:09 p.m.
A buyout really saves the Wild nothing....

Zach has 4 more seasons around 7 after this season.

A buyout will still cost the Wild 7m twice in what would be his 2 years (so in 4 years you’re still paying 7). And still 6m before those 2 years of 7. I equate it to buying out Vlasic, kinda pointless because the point of buying out Parise would be save money in the long term; but the Wild are a good team that’s getting younger with some great prospects still to come or need contracts. I really don’t see a benefit of buying out him for the Wild.

In 2024-25 Parise contract will be done
In 2024-25 he’ll cost his 7m aav

With a buyout he will still cost
6-7m in the final 3 years of what his contract would’ve been, then add a few more years of buyout penalties.

Kinda pointless.
jnowariak, TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
Doesn't seem like there's much benefit outside of year 1.
May 8, 2021 at 5:14 p.m.
Thing is, I think Parise still wants to play and that extra roster spot will be important within the next year. Retirement doesn’t align with his comments about his ability and he won’t allow himself to be sent to Iowa.

That leaves buyout as the best mutual decision between the parties. Parise gets the shot to play again and the Wild open up a roster spot. It’s not ideal but I don’t think there are any ideal solutions.
TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:17 p.m.
Quoting: jnowariak
Thing is, I think Parise still wants to play and that extra roster spot will be important within the next year. Retirement doesn’t align with his comments about his ability and he won’t allow himself to be sent to Iowa.

That leaves buyout as the best mutual decision between the parties. Parise gets the shot to play again and the Wild open up a roster spot. It’s not ideal but I don’t think there are any ideal solutions.

I don't think a buyout is a great idea for the franchise, it would really hurt our cap for much longer than keeping him. The ideal solution might just be mutual termination. Parise is the type of guy that wants to consistently be in the line up and that probably won't happen next year. If he mutually terminated, I can all but guarantee he would get a vet-min offer from Lamoriello (since he loves Parise) and would probably get minutes every night under Trotz with the way he plays.
jnowariak and Wildwinswhen liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
The buyout doesn't make sense: $2.3m, $6.3m, $7.3m, $7.3m, then $800k x 4 in dead cap. He can LTIR(etire) and get his full pay, or just outright retire and MN won't have the extra 4 years of dead cap. Even his NMC going away before the SEA draft will still leave one of Greenway/Foligno exposed.
May 8, 2021 at 5:20 p.m.
Quoting: TanSor
I don't think a buyout is a great idea for the franchise, it would really hurt our cap for much longer than keeping him. The ideal solution might just be mutual termination. Parise is the type of guy that wants to consistently be in the line up and that probably won't happen next year. If he mutually terminated, I can all but guarantee he would get a vet-min offer from Lamoriello (since he loves Parise) and would probably get minutes every night under Trotz with the way he plays.

I guess THAT would be the best case but it feels like it wouldn’t be allowed. I also don’t know how mutual termination works so there’s that.
TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
I guess THAT would be the best case but it feels like it wouldn’t be allowed. I also don’t know how mutual termination works so there’s that.

I'm not very familiar with how it works either, but Big Buff did it last year and he had a big cap hit. I think it's allowed, just doesn't happen very often.
jnowariak and Wildwinswhen liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:34 p.m.
I'm not very familiar with how it works either, but Big Buff did it last year and he had a big cap hit. I think it's allowed, just doesn't happen very often.

Just imagine getting off Scott free from that contract…

Anyways, I saw the suggestion of buying him out and the add on tack is really reasonable. Figured it was worth discussing.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.

Who is the roster spot needed for? MarJo, Bjugstad, and Bonino should all be gone and forgotten. The only prospect that needs a spot is Boldy (takes MarJo's spot next to Fiala).

Healthy scratch. Suggestion is that he’s the odd man out.

Or they are letting Parise rest in meaningless games. Bjugstad needs to play after missing a month. Really after that garbage game MN played last night Parise should be in the lineup over a few FWDs if it was about putting the best team possible on the ice.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:44 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
Who is the roster spot needed for? MarJo, Bjugstad, and Bonino should all be gone and forgotten. The only prospect that needs a spot is Boldy (takes MarJo's spot next to Fiala).

Or they are letting Parise rest in meaningless games. Bjugstad needs to play after missing a month. Really after that garbage game MN played last night Parise should be in the lineup over a few FWDs if it was about putting the best team possible on the ice.

To your first point, roster flexibility is never a bad thing. Maybe it’s what gets Dewar up for a road trip or allows less resistance to getting Menell on the active roster. We’re getting g to the point where we want spots to bring young guys up.

To your second point, his declining ice time leading up to the most recent scratches says otherwise. It’s been a steady drive to this since that first scratch. I also thought it was very telling that Greenway was put on PP2 instead of Parise when Fiala was scratched.
May 8, 2021 at 5:50 p.m.

IIRC MN would still be on the hook for the recapture on Parise. I don't see much incentive for Parise to terminate his deal. I see $10m reasons for him not to.

Buff was a weird thing. it was a mutual termination, but Buff lost $14m (this year and last year pay). I think they got around the $2m recapture because the Jets had him counting towards their cap last year.
jnowariak and TanSor liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:55 p.m.
IIRC MN would still be on the hook for the recapture on Parise. I don't see much incentive for Parise to terminate his deal. I see $10m reasons for him not to.

Buff was a weird thing. it was a mutual termination, but Buff lost $14m (this year and last year pay). I think they got around the $2m recapture because the Jets had him counting towards their cap last year.

I thought something like that had to be the case. But I guess we will see.
May 8, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
To your first point, roster flexibility is never a bad thing. Maybe it’s what gets Dewar up for a road trip or allows less resistance to getting Menell on the active roster. We’re getting g to the point where we want spots to bring young guys up.

To your second point, his declining ice time leading up to the most recent scratches says otherwise. It’s been a steady drive to this since that first scratch. I also thought it was very telling that Greenway was put on PP2 instead of Parise when Fiala was scratched.

I don't read anything into the PP this year. The coaching staff is lost on it, hoping Fiala/Kaprizov make something happen is their main plan. Greenway is leading the team in assists, and JEE is pushing 20g. Not having them on the PP to begin with in favor of MarJo, Rask, and Bonino is wrong to begin with.

As for the diminished ToI, it's the 4th line in games MN was losing. It's why Kaprizov was playing 20 mins a night those same games.
May 8, 2021 at 8:36 p.m.
Minnesota Wild

Byfuglien's contract could not have had a recapture penalty attached to it. It was a 5 year deal signed in 2016 that was not front loaded. For there to be a recapture penalty, it would have to be a front loaded contract signed under the previous CBA (in 2012 or earlier). Currently only Hossa, Zetterberg, Parise, Suter, Weber, Quick, Crosby, Duncan Keith, and Jeff Carter have contracts that would be subject to recapture penalties with Hossa and Zetterberg's deals expiring this summer.
jnowariak liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 8:40 p.m.
Quoting: futurehofer
Byfuglien's contract could not have had a recapture penalty attached to it. It was a 5 year deal signed in 2016 that was not front loaded. For there to be a recapture penalty, it would have to be a front loaded contract signed under the previous CBA (in 2012 or earlier). Currently only Hossa, Zetterberg, Parise, Suter, Weber, Quick, Crosby, Duncan Keith, and Jeff Carter have contracts that would be subject to recapture penalties with Hossa and Zetterberg's deals expiring this summer.

We’re talking about the Parise deal so there’s recapture involved.
May 8, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.

It was front loaded by $2m. Any contract can have a recapture that pays more than the AAV. They just aren't as obscene as the old CBA contracts. It's just not common for these contracts to be terminated and not have a buyout.
May 8, 2021 at 8:46 p.m.
Minnesota Wild
We’re talking about the Parise deal so there’s recapture involved.

wabit said that Winnipeg was able to avoid a recapture penalty because Byfuglien counted against their cap for most of the year. That was what I was responding to. I'm not sure if a mutual termination would result in a recapture penalty, but I know Byfuglien wouldn't have had a penalty either way because his contract was not structured in a way in which that was ever a possibility.
May 8, 2021 at 8:54 p.m.
wabit said that Winnipeg was able to avoid a recapture penalty because Byfuglien counted against their cap for most of the year. That was what I was responding to. I'm not sure if a mutual termination would result in a recapture penalty, but I know Byfuglien wouldn't have had a penalty either way because his contract was not structured in a way in which that was ever a possibility.

Though 4 years Buff was paid (or would have been) $32m, with a cap hit of $30.4m; that's $1.6m difference and needs to be made up. He didn't get his paycheck for his 4th year, but WIN kept him on the books. There wasn't a recapture because they paid more in cap than they did actual money.
May 8, 2021 at 9:46 p.m.

Can’t speak to the Byfuglien situation, but L.A. had some recapture penalties after the Richards contract was mutually terminated a few years ago.
jnowariak liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll