Wilson Value

Created by: Canucks33
Team: 2021-22 Vancouver Canucks
Initial Creation Date: May 8, 2021
Published: May 8, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What would it take to acquire Wilson in the offseason? Assume the following:
- The Capitals lose in the 1st round are open to making a shake up move or two.
- Wilson doesn't do much in the Playoffs or get's suspended in the Playoffs.
- The negotiations with Ovechkin stall and moving cap might be required.
Trades
WSH
  1. Juolevi, Olli [RFA Rights]
  2. MacEwen, Zack
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (VAN)
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the VAN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$81,500,000$60,492,326$648,780$1,050,000$21,007,674
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,125,000$4,125,000
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$891,667$891,667 (Performance Bonus$200,000$200K)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,550,000$2,550,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,225,000$1,225,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,950,000$5,950,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
RFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 5
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$6,000,000$6,000,000 ($4,875,000$5M$4,875,000$5M)
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$786,111$786,111 ($0$0$0$0)
G
RFA - 3
$783,333$783,333 ($0$0$0$0)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 8, 2021 at 5:05 p.m.
Try Boeser
Borocop liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
Try Boeser

If that's what it would take then nevermind lol
May 8, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
Quoting: Canucks33
If that's what it would take then nevermind lol

I mean that’s a closer price. Canucks wouldn’t make that deal, but it’s definitely closer in value
brady_t12 and Eli liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
hockeybadger
You've got to be kidding me right?

If I'm Washington I'm asking for Podkolzin or Hoglander as the primary piece coming back (and there's probably a first or another top prospect included as well).
mhockey91, brady_t12 and GM_MZ_WSH liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
Quoting: telmax
You've got to be kidding me right?

If I'm Washington I'm asking for Podkolzin or Hoglander as the primary piece coming back (and there's probably a first or another top prospect included as well).

I would consider including Hoglander. Not sure I would include much more, maybe Juolevi tops with a pick.
May 8, 2021 at 5:11 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Lind and a 1st at least
Eli liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:12 p.m.
Au-revoir Dorion
idk if a 4th liner, a third pairing dman and a second are really the pieces the caps would be looking for, hes an idiot and i strongly dislike him. but hes a very good hockey player. Would need to be a pretty significant piece coming back
brady_t12 and Eli liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:15 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Yeah the reasons you listed aren’t reasons to trade Wilson and aren’t going to happen. Wilson plays on the edge, yes. He’s gotten suspensions. A players value doesn’t decline because “he could get suspended again.” Anybody can get suspended. It’s not exclusive to Tom Wilson. You don’t trade him because “he might get suspended.” Even if he gets suspended in the playoffs, I’m not trading him if I’m GMBM.

“Doesn’t do much in the playoffs” is also not a recurring issue if it happens this postseason. In 2018, he had 15 points in 21 playoff games. In 2019, he had 5 points in 7 games. 2020 was a **** year for everyone on the caps, so I’m not putting much stock into 3 points in 8 games and labeling him as a non-factor in the playoffs. Nope.

Caps won’t need to move much to afford ovechkin. At worst, they move out Dillon, Kempny, or Hagelin. Plus, with expansion coming up, a guy like Oshie could potentially get moved out for cap purposes if Dillon doesn’t get selected instead of Vanecek.

There’s 0 reason to move Wilson right now unless you’re paying the full price for him. A physical top 6 forward, young, on a cheap deal, good for 20 goals an 40 points over and 82 game season guaranteed and he performs in the playoffs. You’re not getting him for that package, it’s not even close.
Canucks33, Eli and GM_MZ_WSH liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:17 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
I would consider including Hoglander. Not sure I would include much more, maybe Juolevi tops with a pick.

You’re willing to move Juolevi cause he’s worth nothing at this point. You need to give up value if you want an elite power forward.
hockeybadger and Eli liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: brady_t12
You’re willing to move Juolevi cause he’s worth nothing at this point. You need to give up value if you want an elite power forward.

It would be Juolevi in addition to Hoglander. Hoglander would be the main piece in the deal, add from there. If you throw Hoglander and our high 2nd this year together then what else would be needed?
May 8, 2021 at 5:19 p.m.
Who adds what?

WSH LHD depth chart: Orlov, Dillon, Chara, Kempny, Fehervary, Alexeyev, Nardella, Johansen. It's the only position where they don't need a prospect, so they pass on that.

eta: if you really want to move Juolevi, I think WSH could offer Johansen and a 4th.
Canucks33 and brady_t12 liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:22 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
It would be Juolevi in addition to Hoglander. Hoglander would be the main piece in the deal, add from there. If you throw Hoglander and our high 2nd this year together then what else would be needed?

Got it, I misinterpreted your comment then, my bad. I forget if Juolevi is a lefty or a righty, but especially if he’s a righty we’d take him on. I would also be interested in Hoglander for sure. However, you’d probably want to move a little bit of salary out too with Hughes and Pettersson needing contracts. Hoglander and Juolevi + a second might be close.
Eli liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Quoting: Eli
WSH LHD depth chart: Orlov, Dillon, Chara, Kempny, Fehervary, Alexeyev, Nardella, Johansen. It's the only position where they don't need a prospect, so they pass on that.

Chara is probably gone after this season and I don’t know that Nardella will ever get NHL time. Same with Johansen. I could also see Dillon getting moved this off-season due to cap implications but maybe I’m wrong there.
May 8, 2021 at 5:27 p.m.
Got it, I misinterpreted your comment then, my bad. I forget if Juolevi is a lefty or a righty, but especially if he’s a righty we’d take him on. I would also be interested in Hoglander for sure. However, you’d probably want to move a little bit of salary out too with Hughes and Pettersson needing contracts. Hoglander and Juolevi + a second might be close.

Juolevi is a LHD. The Canucks only have one real RHD in the system and that's Woo, so they can't afford to move him. Maybe a young AHL forward like Lind, Gadjovich or Lockwood.

Hoglander + Gadjovich/Juolevi + 2nd 2021 for WIlson.
May 8, 2021 at 5:34 p.m.
Who adds what?
Chara is probably gone after this season and I don’t know that Nardella will ever get NHL time. Same with Johansen. I could also see Dillon getting moved this off-season due to cap implications but maybe I’m wrong there.

In their last AHL seasons, Nardella got six more points in four fewer games than Juolevi. Juolevi is a little bigger and younger, and has more trade value than Nardella, but WSH plays Nardella before they trade Wilson for a bigger, two years younger, currently less skilled guy than Nardella. Also, Nardella then went on to play in Sweden's top league this year, and did fine. I think he gets at least a cup of coffee next year in WSH.
Capitalfail67 liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 5:36 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: mhockey91
Try Boeser

I mean, if you read the description it was clearly stated that this would happen in part if Washington needed cap space to sign Ovechkin, to which you saying Boeser wouldn't make any sense since Boeser has a higher cap hit than Wilson...

It would also be Washington adding more to the deal if they were trying to get Boeser. You can argue Wilson's value all you want, but Boeser's goal scoring ability is far more valuable than Wilson's play. Goals are what win games, not physical play that constantly borders on the line of illegal and not illegal. Not to mention that Boeser would be in a lot more games since Wilson can't seem to stay away from suspensions.

A deal for Wilson after this season would likely be similar to something like Toronto trading Kadri to Colorado. It would be Washington getting a player for a position they need, at a lower cap hit but shorter term. I don't see Vancouver as a fit for that since I think Washington either needs centre depth or a good right handed defenceman and I doubt Vancouver wants to give up young, good prospects for a guy like Wilson when they can be used for a better player. So I don't see a deal between these two teams working out that well
May 8, 2021 at 6:21 p.m.
Who adds what?
WSH isn't trading Wilson. Pieces mentioned here that could combine to change their mind might be, like, Lind, Podkolzin, and a top ten pick. And WSH might have to throw in something more to get that kind of return, but short of getting three top prospects (none at LHD) I don't think they consider moving Tom Wilson.

As Brady said, if it's just about cap space to sign Ovechkin, some team will trade for one of Hagelin, Kempny, Dillon, Schultz, Jensen, or Oshie. If nobody wants to help WSH sign Ovechkin, they end up losing Jensen for almost nothing. Worst case. Not Wilson. And after the year Jensen is having, that's kind of rough. But they'll live.

Quoting: TrueCanuck
You can argue Wilson's value all you want, but Boeser's goal scoring ability is far more valuable than Wilson's play. Goals are what win games, not physical play that constantly borders on the line of illegal and not illegal. Not to mention that Boeser would be in a lot more games since Wilson can't seem to stay away from suspensions.

Wilson is great at puck possession, checking, penalty killing, and pretty much any other measure of defense. He used to make a lot of dirty hits. Now he really doesn't, and the NHL has been spot-on in noticing that they didn't need to suspend him for fighting Panarin, even though Panarin scores more goals. The guy you're arguing Wilson's value with in that comment is a Penguins fan. He does not even like the Capitals. He's just being honest with you. The Kadri trade was 100% about John Tavares wanting to play #1C in Toronto. I don't see John Tavares signing to play #1RW in WSH, so it doesn't seem like a comparable.
May 8, 2021 at 7:36 p.m.
Roster Architect
Wilson is great at puck possession, checking, penalty killing, and pretty much any other measure of defense. He used to make a lot of dirty hits. Now he really doesn't, and the NHL has been spot-on in noticing that they didn't need to suspend him for fighting Panarin, even though Panarin scores more goals. The guy you're arguing Wilson's value with in that comment is a Penguins fan. He does not even like the Capitals. He's just being honest with you. The Kadri trade was 100% about John Tavares wanting to play #1C in Toronto. I don't see John Tavares signing to play #1RW in WSH, so it doesn't seem like a comparable.

You're completely kidding with this, right? I'm sorry, but most of this couldn't be further from the truth.

1: good puck possession player?
CorsiFor - 49.5%
FenwickFor - 48.2%
Both aren't good at all. And he hasn't even been over 52% in either of those categories since 2014-15.

2: checking?
The guy literally commits dirty acts all the damn time. I agree with you about nothing for the Panarin situation, but the punches to the head/shoulder of a completely defenceless Buchnevich is nothing but a dirty play.

3: penalty killing?
He's not a terrible PK player but he's nothing special either. I'm not gonna spend much time debating that.

4: every other defensive metric?
Completely disagree there. The guy is sheltered so much defensively to even consider him a good defensive player. He doesn't suppress shots well, doesn't have great defensive coverage, and starts in the offensive zone the majority of the time. The only thing he has going for him there is his xGA which I'd argue is highly affected by his zone start usage being the highest of his career at 61.7%.

5: doesn't make dirty hits anymore?
LOL this has to be where you're joking. The guy literally just punched a defenceless player lying deface down on the ice. Not to mention he was suspended 7 games already this year for a dirty hit in Brandon Carlo.

I really hope you weren't serious about any of that.
May 8, 2021 at 8:02 p.m.
Caps fan idk why

Lol Juilevi wouldn’t make the Capitals. He’s a useless piece for the capitals. Wilson is a great player you would need to give up something you love to get him not average assets.... Sorry ☹️
Eli and mhockey91 liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 8:04 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
In their last AHL seasons, Nardella got six more points in four fewer games than Juolevi. Juolevi is a little bigger and younger, and has more trade value than Nardella, but WSH plays Nardella before they trade Wilson for a bigger, two years younger, currently less skilled guy than Nardella. Also, Nardella then went on to play in Sweden's top league this year, and did fine. I think he gets at least a cup of coffee next year in WSH.

Nardella lead his team in the SHL in points this year. Either way that kid isn’t close to Fehevary or Alexeyev so he wouldn’t play for the caps anyway.
Eli liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 8:10 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
You're completely kidding with this, right? I'm sorry, but most of this couldn't be further from the truth.

CorsiFor - 49.5%
FenwickFor - 48.2%
Both aren't good at all. And he hasn't even been over 52% in either of those categories since 2014-15.

The guy literally commits dirty acts all the damn time. I agree with you about nothing for the Panarin situation, but the punches to the head/shoulder of a completely defenceless Buchnevich is nothing but a dirty play.

He's not a terrible PK player but he's nothing special either. I'm not gonna spend much time debating that.

Completely disagree there. The guy is sheltered so much defensively to even consider him a good defensive player. He doesn't suppress shots well, doesn't have great defensive coverage, and starts in the offensive zone the majority of the time. The only thing he has going for him there is his xGA which I'd argue is highly affected by his zone start usage being the highest of his career at 61.7%.

LOL this has to be where you're joking. The guy literally just punched a defenceless player lying deface down on the ice. Not to mention he was suspended 7 games already this year for a dirty hit in Brandon Carlo.

Wilson scored at a Nylander pace and adds a physical element that teams are desperately seeking. If you wanna see an example look at every Ranger Gm on this site trading assets for Reeves lol. Wilson is quiet literally one of a kind. You can hate him but every team wants him
Eli and mhockey91 liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 8:20 p.m.
Who adds what?
Edited May 8, 2021 at 8:41 p.m.

CorsiFor - 49.5%
FenwickFor - 48.2%

If you want me to teach you how to read stat sheets, pay me.

eta: if you think your incredulity will convince MacLellan to trade Wilson, then I hope you're wrong. He shouldn't. I'm completely serious.
May 8, 2021 at 8:37 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
If you want me to teach you how to read stat sheets, pay me.

People want Crosby to get selke votes this year

52.07cf% 51.52ff% 51.16xgf% (Crosby)

54.42cf% 53.06ff% 56.12xgf% (eller)

49.25 cf% 48.43ff% 50.28xgf% (Wilson)

By his logic Eller should be a front runner right? Also Eller must be an elite puck possession guy huh?
Eli liked this.
May 8, 2021 at 8:37 p.m.
torontos finest
wilson for buch
May 8, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Capitalfail67
People want Crosby to get selke votes this year

52.07cf% 51.52ff% 51.16xgf% (Crosby)

54.42cf% 53.06ff% 56.12xgf% (eller)

49.25 cf% 48.43ff% 50.28xgf% (Wilson)

By his logic Eller should be a front runner right? Also Eller must be an elite puck possession guy huh?

Eller's a beast. If he figures out just a little more offense he'll be Danault.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll