SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Forum For News, Rumors, Reactions and Fun Throughout the 2021 Season! (PART 5)

May 10, 2021 at 7:59 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Edited May 10, 2021 at 8:11 a.m.
Edit: Never mind, I’m an idiot.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 8:47 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Today’s clinching scenarios:

If Vegas wins in any fashion they clinch first in the West division and the 1st round match-ups in the West will be VGK vs. STL and COL vs. MIN.

If Vegas wins in any fashion, they win the President’s trophy.

If Colorado wins in any fashion and Minnesota loses in any fashion or Colorado gets a point and Minnesota loses in regulation, the Avalanche will clinch home ice in the first round of the playoffs.

If Tampa Bay wins in regulation they get home ice in their series against Florida.

If Florida gets a point they get home ice in their series against Tampa Bay.

If Boston gets a point they clinch 3rd in the East. The 1st round match-ups in the East would be PIT vs. NYI and WSH vs. BOS.

If Montréal loses in regulation or Montréal loses in extra time and Winnipeg gets a point or Winnipeg wins in any fashion and Montréal wins in OT or SO or Winnipeg wins in regulation, the Jets will clinch 3rd in the North Division and will play EDM in the 1st round.

If Montréal gets a point they will clinch a playoff spot. If this and the previous scenario happen, the Canadiens will play TOR in the 1st round.

If Montréal gets a point or Vancouver loses in any fashion, the Canucks will be eliminated from playoff contention.

Current possible playoff match-ups:
CAR vs. NSH
TBL/FLA vs. TBL/FLA

VGK/COL vs. STL
VGK/COL/MIN vs. COL/MIN

PIT vs. BOS/NYI
WSH/BOS vs. BOS/NYI

TOR vs. WPG/MTL/VAN/CGY
EDM vs. WPG/MTL
Brian2016, Zinger and Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 8:49 a.m.
Should Alex DeBrincat be considered an elite-level player in the league at this point? 31G in 51 games played. That's a 50G pace over an 82 game season. Not bad for a 2nd round pick in 2016. BTW, he's 5'7". Patrick Kane has gotten a lot of praise this season, and rightfully so. But, DeBrincat has scored more than double the goals as Kane (15). Is Kane still team MVP? Definitely, yes. But, it's closer now than ever, imo.
Zinger and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 9:04 a.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Saskleaf
Vegas could get upset, the blues certainly have the potential to do that.
Isles could upset as well.
Of course, the canes could get upset, simply due to the fact they look like they will win the presidents trophy.
And the leafs because... well, they're the leafs.

I would not be suprised to see any team get upset. In 2019 all first seeds got upset. Maybe 2021 will be the same (I hope not grimace )

Unless you have a dynasty or something, if you win the Presidents Trophy, there is a very low chance you win the cup no matter how far you go. On the bright side, Vegas might pull ahead of us because they have more games left which would result in us likely finishing in 2nd which is where we finished in '06. But obviously, I do want my Canes to win the Presidents Trophy and go all the way.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 9:06 a.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Today’s clinching scenarios:

If Vegas wins in any fashion they clinch first in the West division and the 1st round match-ups in the West will be VGK vs. STL and COL vs. MIN.

If Vegas wins in any fashion, they win the President’s trophy.

If Colorado wins in any fashion and Minnesota loses in any fashion or Colorado gets a point and Minnesota loses in regulation, the Avalanche will clinch home ice in the first round of the playoffs.

If Tampa Bay wins in regulation they get home ice in their series against Florida.

If Florida gets a point they get home ice in their series against Tampa Bay.

If Boston gets a point they clinch 3rd in the East. The 1st round match-ups in the East would be PIT vs. NYI and WSH vs. BOS.

If Montréal loses in regulation or Montréal loses in extra time and Winnipeg gets a point or Winnipeg wins in any fashion and Montréal wins in OT or SO or Winnipeg wins in regulation, the Jets will clinch 3rd in the North Division and will play EDM in the 1st round.

If Montréal gets a point they will clinch a playoff spot. If this and the previous scenario happen, the Canadiens will play TOR in the 1st round.

If Montréal gets a point or Vancouver loses in any fashion, the Canucks will be eliminated from playoff contention.

Current possible playoff match-ups:
CAR vs. NSH
TBL/FLA vs. TBL/FLA

VGK/COL vs. STL
VGK/COL/MIN vs. COL/MIN

PIT vs. BOS/NYI
WSH/BOS vs. BOS/NYI

TOR vs. WPG/MTL/VAN/CGY
EDM vs. WPG/MTL

Looks like today is the day I become a temporary diehard Avalanche fan.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Brian2016
Should Alex DeBrincat be considered an elite-level player in the league at this point? 31G in 51 games played. That's a 50G pace over an 82 game season. Not bad for a 2nd round pick in 2016. BTW, he's 5'7". Patrick Kane has gotten a lot of praise this season, and rightfully so. But, DeBrincat has scored more than double the goals as Kane (15). Is Kane still team MVP? Definitely, yes. But, it's closer now than ever, imo.

I think he has definitely stepped up into that next tier this season. DeBrincat deserves more recognition for what he's been doing. When he's not playing the Canes, he's one of my favorite players in the league.
A_Habs_fan and Brian2016 liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 9:49 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Dzinger18
Unless you have a dynasty or something, if you win the Presidents Trophy, there is a very low chance you win the cup no matter how far you go. On the bright side, Vegas might pull ahead of us because they have more games left which would result in us likely finishing in 2nd which is where we finished in '06. But obviously, I do want my Canes to win the Presidents Trophy and go all the way.

The presidents trophy is a weird one.
It basically guarantees that you won't win the cup that year. But it also gives you a better chance of winning it a few years later (tampa, washington... ok not as much as I thought).
Zinger liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 9:52 a.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Saskleaf
The presidents trophy is a weird one.
It basically guarantees that you won't win the cup that year. But it also gives you a better chance of winning it a few years later (tampa, washington... ok not as much as I thought).

That definitely happens a lot, so it may be a tell. Like you said, it's a weird one.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 9:54 a.m.
I heff to be mad...
*cough* Aube-Kubel ripped Wilson's leg off
May 10, 2021 at 9:56 a.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: LeafsFan4Ever34

Looks like he helped out his friends on the Rangers a bit.
A_Habs_fan and LeafsFan4Ever34 liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 10:07 a.m.
Quoting: LeafsFan4Ever34

That was incidental contact...
May 10, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
So apparently hedman is playing through a lower body injury and will need offseason surgery. How much does this affect Tampa's cup chances? I'd say a lot as even if he still plays it weakens their D
May 10, 2021 at 10:38 a.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
So apparently hedman is playing through a lower body injury and will need offseason surgery. How much does this affect Tampa's cup chances? I'd say a lot as even if he still plays it weakens their D

Good news for the Canes and Panthers. He is definitely the backbone of the D core, so that will lower their cup chances a lot.
May 10, 2021 at 10:45 a.m.
Good news for the Canes and Panthers. He is definitely the backbone of the D core, so that will lower their cup chances a lot.

Yeah, whether he plays at a lower % or doesn't play it still lowers their chances by a lot
Zinger liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 11:33 a.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Of course, but unfortunately that’s how the game is played right now. The NHL isn’t going to give a fine to every single slash and cross check. Hell, they don’t even give a 2 minute penalty to every slash or cross check.

I think some slashes and cross checks can be necessary and not worth calling. Watch the cross checks that the one guy was giving Jordan staal after he got him in the package with his stick, Jordan Staal fought through them and tipped it in, those probably where not worth calling cause Jordans infront of the met.
Zinger and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016

I think people already see him as one of the best goal scorers, I don't think he does 31 though without an elite passer in Kane.
A_Habs_fan and Zinger liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 11:36 a.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
I think some slashes and cross checks can be necessary and not worth calling. Watch the cross checks that the one guy was giving Jordan staal after he got him in the package with his stick, Jordan Staal fought through them and tipped it in, those probably where not worth calling cause Jordans infront of the met.

That was probably the funniest moment as a Canes fan this season. Gourde gave him at least 5 cross checks and he was trying so hard, but couldn't get the big man to budge. Then came the instant karma when Staal tipped it in for a clutch goal.
May 10, 2021 at 11:37 a.m.
That was probably the funniest moment as a Canes fan this season. Gourde gave him at least 5 cross checks and he was trying so hard, but couldn't get the big man to budge. Then came the instant karma when Staal tipped it in for a clutch goal.

Top 5 underrated play of the season lmao
Zinger liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 11:39 a.m.
John Tortarella to the sabres??
May 10, 2021 at 11:39 a.m.
Canes fan
Top 5 underrated play of the season lmao

It definitely makes me feel good watching that over. Staal doesn't get the recognition he deserves. He's definitely one of the best net front presences/tippers in the league.
May 10, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Canes fan

Excuse me?!
May 10, 2021 at 11:43 a.m.

tears of joy tears of joy . That would probably be disastrous
Zinger liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 11:45 a.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
tears of joy tears of joy . That would probably be disastrous

If it happens the Sabres might as well fold.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 11:47 a.m.
If it happens the Sabres might as well fold.

Sabres aren't folding, they'd either sell or relocate
May 10, 2021 at 11:48 a.m.
I don't want him but our ownership is horrible so...help us

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll