Forums/Armchair-GM

An Eichel trade that maybe makes sense

Created by: mvp13
Team: 2021-22 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: May 11, 2021
Published: May 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Strome and scraps aren't going to cut it... but, then again, maybe to the Rangers overwhelming wing and defense prospect pools, this is scraps? I still think it's better to stay status quo. Just throwing an actual realistic trade into the ring, given all the Strome + scraps joke trades.

Also included a trade with the Blues to get some cheaper grit, at the expense of more younger players we probably won't miss. I like Jones but I'm not sure we need another small body offensive defensemen. I see Jones getting traded at some point, for something, but he splits time with Smith/Borts on the bottom pairing for now.

After making this, I kind of don't hate it as much as I thought I would. I like giving Kravstov and Gauthier better chances in the lineup than they have right now, and keeping Blackwell also. This also leaves us with enough cap space to sign Zibanejad and Fox in the offseason (provided they both get around 8-9mil each), and cross our fingers for some cap raises for Laffy when the time comes. Also banking on Igor getting a 4x4, but we'll see what Drury gives him soon.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,500,000
1$1,000,000
1$800,000
4$4,000,000
1$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
Trades
NYR
  1. Eichel, Jack
Additional Details:
Add additional picks/prospects as necessary
BUF
  1. Buchnevich, Pavel [RFA Rights]
  2. Georgiev, Alexandar
  3. Kakko, Kaapo
  4. Lundkvist, Nils [Reserve List]
  5. Strome, Ryan
Additional Details:
NYR
    Expansion draft
    NYR
    1. Bortuzzo, Robert
    2. Clifford, Kyle
    Additional Details:
    STL
    1. Howden, Brett
    2. Reunanen, Tarmo
    Additional Details:
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the NYR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$70,108,135$0$5,750,000$11,391,865

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New York Rangers
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $5,350,000$5,350,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $11,642,857$11,642,857
    LW
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $800,000$800,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the St. Louis Blues
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    LW, RW
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LD
    RFA - 3
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
    LD
    RFA - 2
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $825,000$825,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD/RD, LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the St. Louis Blues
    $1,375,000$1,375,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $737,500$737,500
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 11, 2021 at 1:39 p.m.
    Rangers 2023
    Lundkvist is objectively better than bortuzzo, screw grit just to make our team worse
    May 11, 2021 at 1:41 p.m.
    Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
    Lundkvist is objectively better than bortuzzo, screw grit just to make our team worse

I know man, Lundkvist has really tore up the league in his entire 0GP NHL career.

... besides the fact Lundkvist vs Borts isn't the conversation here, given a strong defensive prospect will be needed in an Eichel trade
    May 11, 2021 at 1:41 p.m.
    Not a chance both Kakko and Buch are traded for Eichel.
    May 11, 2021 at 1:42 p.m.
    Rangers 2023
    Quoting: aspina25

Exactly, that kills our RW depth
    May 11, 2021 at 1:43 p.m.
    Rangers 2023
    Quoting: mvp13
    I know man, Lundkvist has really tore up the league in his entire 0GP NHL career.

... besides the fact Lundkvist vs Borts isn't the conversation here, given a strong defensive prospect will be needed in an Eichel trade

Does buffalo need defense enough for it to be Lundkvist over Jones or Robertson?
    May 11, 2021 at 1:44 p.m.

Not a chance you get Eichel without giving up pieces you will miss

Buch is a cap casuality regardless, given there is no cap room to keep our necessary pieces in Zib and Fox if this trade happens, without losing Buch, Kreider, etc... given Buch is the most tradeable one there, it'd have to be him
    May 11, 2021 at 1:44 p.m.
    That's a lot of value for Eichel. Is it worth it?
    May 11, 2021 at 1:46 p.m.
    Not a chance you get Eichel without giving up pieces you will miss

There's a difference between "pieces you will miss" and "your only 2 RW that have played on 1st line"

An Eichel trade is aimed to improve a weak spot on your roster, but not at the cost of making a different spot 10x worse.
    May 11, 2021 at 1:47 p.m.
    This trade is overkill, and I think you know it, but played it conservatively so no one came at you with "Buffalo laughs and hangs up the phone".

I have said since day 1 that a Kakko/Lundkvist/2021 1st package should be enough to pry him away from Buffalo. If your goal is to trade Buch and Strome, I think you could trade both for 1st+ B prospects in separate deals. Georgiev is kind of whatever...goalies don't carry a ton of value in trades these days.
    mvp13 liked this.
    May 11, 2021 at 1:50 p.m.
    There's a difference between "pieces you will miss" and "your only 2 RW that have played on 1st line"

An Eichel trade is aimed to improve a weak spot on your roster, but not at the cost of making a different spot 10x worse.

I guess you don't watch the Rangers, because Kreider plays on the right pretty often, and Kravstov is going to develop into a top 6 RW... so, I'm not sure what you're talking about here, especially given that Kakko has never consistently played on the top line, or even really the second line here... only really when injuries take place. The wing depth is still impressive. If we stay status quo, then we're going to have two top 6 wings play on the third line. Yes, we'll miss them, but not incredibly so. Plus the fact that I'm not pulling for this to happen, just giving an actual realistic trade given all the joke trades we've been seeing on here
    May 11, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
    Quoting: Book_Hockey
    This trade is overkill, and I think you know it, but played it conservatively so no one came at you with "Buffalo laughs and hangs up the phone".

I have said since day 1 that a Kakko/Lundkvist/2021 1st package should be enough to pry him away from Buffalo. If your goal is to trade Buch and Strome, I think you could trade both for 1st+ B prospects in separate deals. Georgiev is kind of whatever...goalies don't carry a ton of value in trades these days.

Yeah, not sure if Buffalo could even it out with prospects of their own. I'm just saying, Eichel is a top 5 center in this league in my opinion, you're not gonna get him for Strome and junk like all the other trades on here. The trade is kind of lopsided also due to cap implications; Zibanejad and Fox (out of the players I didn't trade) need contracts next year. Strome and Buch are the most tradeable pieces we wouldn't miss an incredible amount to free up cap space, if you get my meaning

Georgiev goes because Igor cemented the #1, and he could (probably) help out Buffalo's weird goaltending circus over there, given that Ullmark likely won't be back
    Book_Hockey liked this.
    May 11, 2021 at 1:54 p.m.
    Quoting: Oilers4Days
    That's a lot of value for Eichel. Is it worth it?

Jack Eichel is a top 10 center in the league and your saying is it worth it?
    mvp13 liked this.
    May 11, 2021 at 1:55 p.m.
    Yeah, not sure if Buffalo could even it out with prospects of their own. I'm just saying, Eichel is a top 5 center in this league in my opinion, you're not gonna get him for Strome and junk like all the other trades on here. The trade is kind of lopsided also due to cap implications; Zibanejad and Fox (out of the players I didn't trade) need contracts next year. Strome and Buch are the most tradeable pieces we wouldn't miss an incredible amount to free up cap space, if you get my meaning

Georgiev goes because Igor cemented the #1, and he could (probably) help out Buffalo's weird goaltending circus over there, given that Ullmark likely won't be back

You're probably right on all accounts. I wouldnt worry about the winger depth, as you have two top 10 picks in there along with Kreider and Bread. People were clamoring for Krav to be in a top 6 role, and now that he is via this trade, people complain
    mvp13 liked this.
    May 11, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
    IMO its an overpay. Not that Eichel isn't a great player but he isn't worth all of the talent you're giving away especially considering there is a rift between him and Sabres management.
    May 11, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.
    Quoting: Book_Hockey
    You're probably right on all accounts. I wouldnt worry about the winger depth, as you have two top 10 picks in there along with Kreider and Bread. People were clamoring for Krav to be in a top 6 role, and now that he is via this trade, people complain

Haha, I know right? You can't make anyone happy anymore : P

Something has to give with the wing depth, I just don't know what for. Really nothing needs an incredible amount of upgrading, unless you give up Strome.
    May 11, 2021 at 2:04 p.m.
    Definitely an overpay for Eichel. Starts with Kakko and 2021 & 2022 1sts. If you want to add Strome and Georgie thats fine or prospects like Jones or Robertson.
    May 11, 2021 at 2:06 p.m.
    Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
    Does buffalo need defense enough for it to be Lundkvist over Jones or Robertson?

Eh, I guess you can sub in whoever for these... I'm just not sure any of these guys are gonna see long term meaningful time on the Rangers in the next 5 years. The top 4 defensive pair is gonna be Lindgren/Fox, Miller/Trouba for the next 5 years at the very least. If these guys are as good as they say, is it going to be worth paying them what they'll be worth? I don't know. I'd rather have these top two pairs play most of the time, then have a grit-driven third pairing. Borts isn't signed for forever, just a placeholder for a year until someone else develops.

On the Buffalo side, they lost Montour, will probably lose McCabe and/or Miller to Seattle and free agency, could lose Ristolanien if anyone will take him... they've got a lot of holes back there. I'm sure they're gonna want someone good in an Eichel trade. If swapping any of the Jones, Lundkvist, or Robertson around in these trades helps, I still think it's a similar outcome on the Rangers' side. I'm not sure if Lundkvist is NHL ready next year or not. I just think the D pairs are what they are for the next 5 years given Miller's emergence, and Trouba's contract
    May 11, 2021 at 3:06 p.m.
    mokumboi
    The Blues would have zero interest in Reunanen, and probably very little in Howden.
    May 11, 2021 at 3:40 p.m.
    Quoting: mokumboi
    The Blues would have zero interest in Reunanen, and probably very little in Howden.

For curiosity, what would it take? I'm not well versed on the Blues but seems there's no solid 4C; Howden is a good defensive penalty killing 4C despite what majority of Rangers fans want to say about him. Doesn't seem like Borts even plays every game there over the last few years, so thought a potentially 2nd pair defense prospect could get him and help clear some cap space for Hoffman (if he's staying), or whatever else

EDIT: Ah, might be Sundqvist down there as the 4C, didn't catch him on the IR right away. My fault.
    May 11, 2021 at 9:50 p.m.
    mokumboi
    For curiosity, what would it take? I'm not well versed on the Blues but seems there's no solid 4C; Howden is a good defensive penalty killing 4C despite what majority of Rangers fans want to say about him. Doesn't seem like Borts even plays every game there over the last few years, so thought a potentially 2nd pair defense prospect could get him and help clear some cap space for Hoffman (if he's staying), or whatever else

EDIT: Ah, might be Sundqvist down there as the 4C, didn't catch him on the IR right away. My fault.

Clifford would certainly be available, Bortuzzo not so much. He's a good value soldier at his cap hit/position and an important leader in the locker room regardless of whether he plays every night. Reunanen is hardly a top 4 D prospect and he's small and the Blues already have 1000 LD's better than him. Howden is quite wretched, and the Blues already have 32 PK forwards better.

And I tend to doubt Hoffman isn't coming back. Yeah, his goals are nice, but everything else about his game is routinely maddening.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll