Forums/Armchair-GM

Three Years

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2021-22 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: May 11, 2021
Published: May 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Shoutout to @MrApplesauce: I liked his AGM and wanted to make my own tweaks and expand on his work (https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/448277?post_id=2318565). Keep in mind I don't know the Sabres super well: I only really maintain an interest in rebuilding teams.

Tankathon simulation has the Sabres picking third behind the Senators and Devils: my suspicion is that Beniers and Power go first and second overall, leaving the Sabres with Guenther. With the 9th overall pick, I would see the Sabres take Chaz Lucius. The 16th pick would be used to select Matthew Coronato.

Given these picks and assets already in the system, I think the Sabres 'rebuild' should only last 3 years tops and will correlate with the development of the 2021 draft selections: the trio all return to the NCAA/WHL for a season, play in Rochester for a year, and then look to make the big club. Along the way, the Sabres have a near-guaranteed shot at one of Lambert, Savoie, and Wright, as well as a top prospect from the 2023 draft. In the meantime, Laaksonen, Quinn, Samuelsson, and UPL will likely graduate into full-time NHLers for the 2022-23 season while the graduations of Chisholm, Coronato, Guenther, Lucius, Lundkvist, and Peterka all follow suit with the selection of a top prospect at the 2023 draft.

I figure Skinner is going to be bought out at the end of the 2023 season regardless of performance over the next two years. There's a lot of risk in that contract and none of it has been warranted lately. Kapanen and Olofsson are likely Sabres for at least until this point as well, possibly until the end of 2025 when it's no longer feasible to keep their cap on the roster.

The Sabres are going to look top capitalize on waning Bruins and Panthers teams in order to compete for a playoff spot with the likes of Detroit, Montreal, and Ottawa with a fast, high-skilled, very young roster. The selling point for the Pegulas to reinvest in the Sabres like they did in the Bills will likely require an internal cap over the next 5ish years: after bonuses are accounted for, let the extra near-$10M be used to redesign the scouting departments and facilities accessible via the players. This show of good faith to the fans, players, and prospects must be made.

The only reason I don't maximize the available cash for the Pegulas to throw at upper management is because I believe there's an opportunity for the Sabres to pick up Vancouver's pick by 'outbidding' other teams in terms of value going back to the Canucks: Davidsson being a former 2nd rounder, likely not interested in signing in Buffalo, and needing a change in scenery outside of Sweden represents more value going back to Vancouver than most teams looking to take on Eriksson for the Canucks' draft capital. I'd even be willing to include up to the Bruins' 2nd round pick. Key point is getting pick #9 for a year of Louis is always going to be worthwhile to a rebuilding organization.

Thus, in three-years time:

Lafreniere - Cozens - Quinn
Chytil - Wright* - Olofsson
Coronato - Mittelstadt - Guenther
[] - Lucius - Kapanen
[]

Dahlin - Jokiharju
Johnson - Pettersson
Samuelsson - Laaksonen
Chisholm

Ullmark
UPL
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$925,000
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
2$925,000
3$2,500,000
5$7,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$2,000,000
4$4,500,000
Trades
BUF
  1. Eriksson, Loui
  2. 2021 1st round pick (VAN)
VAN
  1. Davidsson, Marcus [Reserve List]
BUF
  1. Chytil, Filip [RFA Rights]
  2. Lafrenière, Alexis
  3. Lundkvist, Nils [Reserve List]
  4. 2021 1st round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Eichel, Jack ($1,000,000 retained)
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Chisholm, Declan
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (WPG)
BUF
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi
  2. Pettersson, Marcus
  3. 2022 4th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Reinhart, Sam [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the COL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the BUF
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$68,089,091$113,916$3,700,000$13,410,909

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$9,000,000$9,000,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,050,000$3,050,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, C
RFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, C
RFA - 3
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
RFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 4
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,025,175$4,025,175
LD
UFA - 4
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$889,166$889,166
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 11, 2021 at 2:11 p.m.
Rangers pass.
May 11, 2021 at 2:12 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: hero9154
Rangers pass.

I'm curious as to why you think this.
May 11, 2021 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'm curious as to why you think this.

Alexis is untouchable. I think the offer would start with Kakko and go from there.
May 11, 2021 at 2:21 p.m.
Saber fans are getting desperate , Vancouver is not giving away it's first round pick .
May 11, 2021 at 2:21 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Alexis is untouchable. I think the offer would start with Kakko and go from there.

I've seen, heard, and believe otherwise:

Panarin and Kreider are signed until the end of time. Depth is great, but Lafreniere coming in at anything above $4M on his next deal (very likely) puts the Rangers in a bad spot in terms of cap. Kakko's emergence as one of the best defensive forwards in the game makes him a hell of a lot harder to justify trading: he's the perfect compliment to either a Kreider-Eichel pairing or a Panarin-Zibenejad pairing, Buchnevich landing on whichever other line while Strome and Kravtsov feast on lesser opposition.

Intrinsically, Kakko has more value to the Rangers today than Lafreniere does. He performs a unique role on the club that isn't predominantly offered elsewhere.

You also have to consider the Sabres' side of this too: top centermen of Eichel's calibre are never made available. Tavares hitting UFA is the only other instance I can think of. These pieces don't move willingly, thus there's always going to be a steep acquisition cost: the Sabres were specific about a return of four first round equivalents: given the minor surplus value going back to New York *plus* the Sabres taking a less prove piece in Lundkvist, there's justification in having Lafreniere over Kakko here.
May 11, 2021 at 2:23 p.m.
Canucks aren't giving a top 10 pick for a 1 year cap dump. Pass
May 11, 2021 at 2:29 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: sedin33
Canucks aren't giving a top 10 pick for a 1 year cap dump. Pass

You're blatantly overlooking the point of the return on this dump being higher than anything anyone else is offering, including up to recouping a 2nd round pick.

I'm not against bumping the pick to 2022, but you're likely not getting a return beyond Davidsson.
May 11, 2021 at 2:33 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Tbh I think it heavily favors the Sabres. When was the last time a #1 center returned that much value, let alone one on the verge of wanting out?
May 11, 2021 at 2:35 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: SevenLeg
Tbh I think it heavily favors the Sabres. When was the last time a #1 center returned that much value, let alone one on the verge of wanting out?

To answer your question with another question: when was the last time a center of Eichel's calibre was moved? Duchene is close, but didn't have either the term nor ceiling Eichel does.

I think if a move happens, it meets Adams' ask of 4 first-round equivalents.
May 11, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
A second on it's own it's more than generous enough for Ristolainen. No need for the Jets to toss in a good, young D prospect.
jgimp69 liked this.
May 11, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.

Panarin and Kreider are signed until the end of time. Depth is great, but Lafreniere coming in at anything above $4M on his next deal (very likely) puts the Rangers in a bad spot in terms of cap. Kakko's emergence as one of the best defensive forwards in the game makes him a hell of a lot harder to justify trading: he's the perfect compliment to either a Kreider-Eichel pairing or a Panarin-Zibenejad pairing, Buchnevich landing on whichever other line while Strome and Kravtsov feast on lesser opposition.

Intrinsically, Kakko has more value to the Rangers today than Lafreniere does. He performs a unique role on the club that isn't predominantly offered elsewhere.

You also have to consider the Sabres' side of this too: top centermen of Eichel's calibre are never made available. Tavares hitting UFA is the only other instance I can think of. These pieces don't move willingly, thus there's always going to be a steep acquisition cost: the Sabres were specific about a return of four first round equivalents: given the minor surplus value going back to New York *plus* the Sabres taking a less prove piece in Lundkvist, there's justification in having Lafreniere over Kakko here.

Appreciate the thoughtful and thorough response. You bring up the salary cap and justifiably so which is a valid concern but at the present time, the Rangers only have 4 players under contract in 23-24. In hindsight, the Kreider contract might be killer in the long term but both his and Trouba's contracts have modified NTC's the last couple of years so there is always hope they can move one of those contracts out.

I believe if you would ask most Ranger fans, we would tell you that Kakko is our 3rd best defensive RW behind Buchneivich (who has grown tremendously defensively) and Kravstov.

IMO if the Rangers trade for Eichel, the Zibby is going because he is going to want his payday too and I don't think the Rangers can afford Panarin, Eichel, Trouba and Zibby all making over $8M (along with whatever Fox commands next offseason).

Agree that players of Eichel's caliber are very rarely made available.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
May 11, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
To answer your question with another question: when was the last time a center of Eichel's calibre was moved? Duchene is close, but didn't have either the term nor ceiling Eichel does.

I think if a move happens, it meets Adams' ask of 4 first-round equivalents.

A #1 overall pick (Lafrenière) is more than just a regular mid 1st round pick. I had off the top of my head Ryan O'Reilly who was older and not as good as Eichel, but still. Such a package could have been in the realm of possibility if Eichel was leading a contending Sabres team, but he's not and is on the verge of wanting out.
May 11, 2021 at 2:51 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: SevenLeg
A #1 overall pick (Lafrenière) is more than just a regular mid 1st round pick. I had off the top of my head Ryan O'Reilly who was older and not as good as Eichel, but still. Such a package could have been in the realm of possibility if Eichel was leading a contending Sabres team, but he's not and is on the verge of wanting out.

The Sabres did not get anything near equivalent value for O'Reilly and you're openly admitting he's not as good. I still don't think you're close.

Lafreniere is a substantial piece yes - the cornerstone of this trade - but the trio of Chytil, Lundkvist, and the 2021 1st are mid-valued at best: Chytil is worth about a mid-first, the 2021 pick is a mid-first, and Lundqvist is probably worth a high 2nd at this point.
May 11, 2021 at 2:53 p.m.
The Sabres did not get anything near equivalent value for O'Reilly and you're openly admitting he's not as good. I still don't think you're close.

Lafreniere is a substantial piece yes - the cornerstone of this trade - but the trio of Chytil, Lundkvist, and the 2021 1st are mid-valued at best: Chytil is worth about a mid-first, the 2021 pick is a mid-first, and Lundqvist is probably worth a high 2nd at this point.

I agree. Tarasenko should have been the return to Buffalo for O'Reilly.
May 11, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

That's exactly what I said, the most recent trade that is close to a hypothetical Eichel trade is O'Reilly's. They didn't get as much as O'Reilly was "worth" and historically 1st line centers almost never fetched as much as they should have.
May 11, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: IceDragon
I agree. Tarasenko should have been the return to Buffalo for O'Reilly.

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

I fully believe the trade should have been Thomas, the two cap dumps, and the picks as they were OR Kyrou, the two dumps, and two firsts. Thompson was a mistake from the get-go.
May 11, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
Jet69
Jets pass. Risto would not make our defence better.
May 11, 2021 at 3:17 p.m.
Appreciate the thoughtful and thorough response. You bring up the salary cap and justifiably so which is a valid concern but at the present time, the Rangers only have 4 players under contract in 23-24. In hindsight, the Kreider contract might be killer in the long term but both his and Trouba's contracts have modified NTC's the last couple of years so there is always hope they can move one of those contracts out.

I believe if you would ask most Ranger fans, we would tell you that Kakko is our 3rd best defensive RW behind Buchneivich (who has grown tremendously defensively) and Kravstov.

IMO if the Rangers trade for Eichel, the Zibby is going because he is going to want his payday too and I don't think the Rangers can afford Panarin, Eichel, Trouba and Zibby all making over $8M (along with whatever Fox commands next offseason).

Agree that players of Eichel's caliber are very rarely made available.

Kaapo isn’t our third best defensive rw? He’s top 3 defensive forward on our team at the minimum he might even be 1-2. And Mika isn’t going to Buffalo do people not understand NMCs?
May 11, 2021 at 3:19 p.m.
This is the best ACGM I’ve seen for an Eichel trade. From a Sabres fan, I would honestly be happy with Lafrieniere and Lundqvist as a return for Eichel, we wouldn’t even need Chytil and 1st in my opinion
May 11, 2021 at 3:20 p.m.
Quoting: Noah93_
Kaapo isn’t our third best defensive rw? He’s top 3 defensive forward on our team at the minimum he might even be 1-2. And Mika isn’t going to Buffalo do people not understand NMCs?

Buch and Krav are both better defensively than Kakko. Agree that Mika isn't going to Buffalo (never said he was just to be clear).
May 11, 2021 at 3:21 p.m.

I get what u said eichels don’t grow on trees and it’s rare they hit the market but you aren’t getting laf, Chytil, nils, and a first. First of all laf won’t be available you say our lw had Kreider and Panarin but we can just play Kreider on the third line and give our third line more minutes. Cap isn’t an issue if you have young talent that has value, cap is an issue if you have lots of bad contracts (not saying Kreider and trouba aren’t bad contracts) but we will always be able to trade these talented players who are young if we need cap as they’ll have value. The argument isn’t valid.
May 11, 2021 at 3:23 p.m.
Buch and Krav are both better defensively than Kakko. Agree that Mika isn't going to Buffalo (never said he was just to be clear).

Oh I thought u meant zibby going in a trade not just leaving for free agency or another team. You might be able to make an argument for buch this year because of his play and the pk but kakko is probably our best defensive forward and definitely not our third best defensive rw. If you think that I’m convinced you didn’t even watch any games and even if you didn’t look at all the stats and analytics backing that kakko is probably our best defensive forward from last year if not top 2-3.
May 11, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Noah93_
I get what u said eichels don’t grow on trees and it’s rare they hit the market but you aren’t getting laf, Chytil, nils, and a first. First of all laf won’t be available you say our lw had Kreider and Panarin but we can just play Kreider on the third line and give our third line more minutes. Cap isn’t an issue if you have young talent that has value, cap is an issue if you have lots of bad contracts (not saying Kreider and trouba aren’t bad contracts) but we will always be able to trade these talented players who are young if we need cap as they’ll have value. The argument isn’t valid.

You can't just assume players will waive NTCs or NMCs to strictly benefit the Rangers. Other clubs have to be capable of taking those players on at a price they're willing to pay. Trading from the ilk of Fox, Kakko, Kravtsov, Lafreniere, Miller, and the two goaltenders doesn't make sense in terms of building a competent roster. Those are the players you move heaven and earth to keep.

My point isn't that Lafreniere isn't expendable: it's that the internal value of Kakko is higher to the Rangers right now.
May 11, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
Pens are the best
Pens decline, maybe switch kapanen with zucker and we add something else. My offer Is Zucker + Pettersson + Bjorkqvist + 4th or 3rd for Reinhart.
May 11, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
wont cost a 1st to dump Loui if the cauncks choose to do so

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll