SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Ottawa Senators

Top 5 surprises from the 2021 Season

May 13, 2021 at 4:36 p.m.
Now that the Sens season is over, I thought I'd take some time to highlight the players who were the biggest surprises to me this year.

1: I was cautiously very excited about what Zub could be, but didn't really expect him to be a real impact player. Once Zub got into the lineup, he was an immediate difference maker. He was a legitimately elite level defensive player, and the moment Zub got into the lineup marked the moment the Sens started to turn the season around. The Sens with Zub in were a top 4 team in the division, they just couldn't overcome their horrendous start.

2: Possibly the most wrong I've been about anything ever, I actually thought Logan Brown was going to make the team in that spot and Norris would start in Belleville. I thought Norris was NHL ready, I just thought he would fall behind Logan Brown, who I really thought was primed for a breakout. I never thought Norris would come in and play the way he did. He was thrust into the role of being a defacto 1C, and not only did he produce, he was great defensively as well. Probably the most well rounded forward Ottawa had this year. Couldn't ask for more out of a rookie.

3: coming into this season, I was pretty low on Gus. I hadn't been consistently impressed with his play in Belleville, and thought he was like 5th on the goalie depth chart behind Murray, Hogberg, Daccord and Søgaard. This season, he played well in Sweden and in Belleville, and was near perfect in his time in the NHL. I don't think any other Sens prospect has raised his stock higher than Gus.

4: Though he only played in 1/4 of the season for Ottawa, I've been a REALLY big fan of what he's brought. Defends very well despite his size, and he's been excellent at breaking the puck out. I don't know what MTL was thinking letting him go for free, but their loss has been a huge gain for Ottawa. Really hope it doesn't have to come down to Brannstrom or Mete next year once Sanderson arrives, because I think Mete can be a part of this team long term.

5: I loved Connor Brown last year, but he's been on a different level this season. He's still the same defensive stalwart as ever, but he really found a new level offensively this year. He's absolutely incredible, and he's such an important part of this team. So happy to have him in Ottawa. Even more happy that his contract year was last year not this year, because having him for two more years at 3.6mil is frankly insane value.
May 13, 2021 at 4:41 p.m.
KFTW
Agree. Those guys are also my top 5 surprises except for Norris. I was calling for him to be a top 6 centre since last year and thought he produce 40pts / 82 games and he produced over 50, amazing .
May 13, 2021 at 4:45 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Agree. Those guys are also my top 5 surprises except for Norris. I was calling for him to be a top 6 centre since last year and thought he produce 40pts / 82 games and he produced over 50, amazing .

I thought Norris was going to be a 2C long term, but I didn't think he'd produce like he has right away, and I definitely didn't expect him to be as poised defensively as he has been. He looks like he might have upside as a 1B two way C. Huge surprise for me
csick liked this.
May 13, 2021 at 4:53 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Honorable mention Nick Paul?
May 13, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Thanks for your analysis of the the Sens. Gee, they seem to most of the pieces to be true contender on their roster. it's a team that even non Sens fans can like.
csick and Claesson4Norris liked this.
May 13, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: palhal
Thanks for your analysis of the the Sens. Gee, they seem to most of the pieces to be true contender on their roster. it's a team that even non Sens fans can like.

I just want 1 more 1st line player somehow. Like a Forsberg, Laine, etc. So we can keep Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson and then have someone playing with Stutzle and Pinto on the 2nd lien
May 13, 2021 at 5:09 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: csick
I just want 1 more 1st line player somehow. Like a Forsberg, Laine, etc. So we can keep Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson and then have someone playing with Stutzle and Pinto on the 2nd lien

With so many teams close to the cap, the Sens are in a great position to take cap in a trade without giving up a significant roster player. Maybe that's how they can get a top line player. Of course money talks, would the Sens want to snag a top line player via free agency this year or next? Suddenly Ottawa might be a desirable place to play.
May 13, 2021 at 5:15 p.m.
KFTW
With so many teams close to the cap, the Sens are in a great position to take cap in a trade without giving up a significant roster player. Maybe that's how they can get a top line player. Of course money talks, would the Sens want to snag a top line player via free agency this year or next? Suddenly Ottawa might be a desirable place to play.

I mean we could draft one of McTavish/Eklund/Johnson this year and be patient. Greig could be coming soon too
May 13, 2021 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
Honorable mention Nick Paul?

Yeah, but it wasn't really a surprise to me. I've known he was good for years. He was really good last year, and pretty much evey time he was a call up under Guy Boucher he had better defensive results than several of the regular bottom six forwards. This is more of a surprise to people who don't really follow the team that closely.
May 13, 2021 at 5:23 p.m.
I said to my brother before the season started when Ottawa was ranked #7 by all TSN board "They might end up at the bottom but they won't be nearly as bad as most people think". They eventually got there and have been looking good. Only thing that's gone "wrong" was Murray, he just wasn't the right target to be a dependable starter.
May 13, 2021 at 5:28 p.m.

They've been reported to be looking to add a top six C this summer. There are definitely a couple of potential free agent options, but you're more likely to get a guy who fits longer term via trade.
May 13, 2021 at 5:46 p.m.
Quoting: Bluetomorrow83
I said to my brother before the season started when Ottawa was ranked #7 by all TSN board "They might end up at the bottom but they won't be nearly as bad as most people think". They eventually got there and have been looking good. Only thing that's gone "wrong" was Murray, he just wasn't the right target to be a dependable starter.

They had a really bad offseason in hindsight (and in foresight). They brought in Murray, Paquette, Coburn, Stepan, J.Brown, Gudbranson and Watson to bring vet leadership, and the only one who worked out at all was Watson. Everyone else was a negative, though I think Murray would have turned the corner if it wasn't for the injuries. Once Ottawa started replacing those vets with young pieces they got better and better, and if you put aside their 2-12-2 start, they were a top 4 team in the Division in their last 40 games. Unfortunately for Murray, he got injured at the worst possible time. When he got to play while the team was improving he played well, and was on track to salvage a somewhat respectable season (relative to the start).

I think Ottawa can push for a wildcard spot next year, but they need to actually learn a lesson from this season and not just try and find next year's Gudbranson and Stepan, but actually make tangible improvements to the roster, while still leaving the team in the hands of a capable young core.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll