Forums/Armchair-GM

Blueprints please read the description

Created by: BeterChiarelli
Team: 2021-22 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: May 14, 2021
Published: May 14, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Purely a thought experiment: I've seen a couple comments from @yikes that suggest the Sharks are going to look to remain competitive, even if we as fans recognize that to be a genuinely awful idea. Granted the Pacific is not going to be strong next year in the slightest, so might as well give it a go.

Sharks are gonna look to draft a centerman with their top pick. Beniers if they win the draft lottery at #1 or #2 (depending on who wins #1), Johnson or Lucius at #8, #9, or #10. It's a blend of BPA as well as the piece that helps them sustain winning the longest given what they already have on the roster and in the system.

From my very distant point of view, the Sharks need to shed Burns, Vlasic and revamp their goaltending in order to achieve this. I've used Seattle to solve the Burns conundrum and given that there's virtually nothing else worth taking from this roster, I don't think it'll cost too much to convince the Kraken to bite on a player likely to wear a letter for them.

I don't think there's a good Vlasic trade out there and I instead look to something more closely resembling equivalent exchange. Habs fans have been griping about Weber a bit so I figure there's an opportunity to swap contracts and hope a change of scenery does both men good. I think the Sharks wouldn't mind bringing Allen in either and the Habs are at risk of losing him for nothing. There needs to be a value adjustment to this trade - I'm fully aware of this - but this is the base of the trade that could be made.

Stars fans can't figure out how to move forward with their three-headed issue in net and I don't think Bishop is apt to retire. His numbers prior to injury were phenomenal and I believe taking an entire year to recover is going to reduce anxieties around how he fares over the next two years. I think the Stars would give him away almost for free, but if they're rebuilding then I think a homecoming for Pavelski could be in order. Again, absolutely lost on the value so I'll need some help here. Explicitly a blueprint.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,250,000
2$2,250,000
2$925,000
2$925,000
2$925,000
Trades
SJS
SEA
  1. Burns, Brent
  2. 2022 2nd round pick (SJS)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the COL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,699,173$0$557,500$9,800,827
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$2,108,696$2,108,696
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$4,725,000$4,725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 1
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$796,667$796,667
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,916,667$4,916,667
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$2,875,000$2,875,000
G
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 14, 2021 at 2:40 p.m.
Lucius will not likely be a center at next level. Johnson will definitely be a winger.
Interesting thinking on trades though
May 14, 2021 at 2:44 p.m.
Weber>Vlasic
Weber's contract> Vlasic's contract
No way Montreal trades Weber for Vlasic and give up any sweetener!
May 14, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Lucius will not likely be a center at next level. Johnson will definitely be a winger.
Interesting thinking on trades though

I've seen those reports too and I can't help but think Johnson could at least be RNH-lite at the NHL level if he continues as is. I think some serious commitment on his behalf, the Sharks organization, Michigan, and Hockey Canada could make an actual centerman out of him long-term. Same goes for Lucius, just with Harvard and Hockey USA respectively. Development is such a strange, hard to track thing: Barzal was supposed to be a winger at the NHL level because of his footspeed. Scouts are wise but are wrong more often than they're right. I think both lads have more control over their futures than scouting reports let on.
May 14, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Campabee
Weber>Vlasic
Weber's contract> Vlasic's contract
No way Montreal trades Weber for Vlasic and give up any sweetener!

Thanks for taking the time to read and provide valuable feedback instead of just being confrontational without providing any discourse.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 14, 2021 at 2:50 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Thanks for taking the time to read and provide valuable feedback instead of just being confrontational without providing any discourse.

The reason Weber's contract is better is because he gets paid less actual cash over the same time frame and even IF he retires early Montreal has little to no recapture penalty. Whereas IF Vlasic were to retire we would still have to pay the full value of the contract it just wouldn't count towards the cap.
May 14, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
True Reverse Retro
Bishop > Khudobin. You can have Khudobin for free. Bishop wouldn’t waive his NMC for San Jose anyway.

Pavelski I’m fine with shopping. After the season he had, his value is going to be about as high as it’ll ever be again, so how’s the time to shop him. If I’m shopping him, I’m probably looking for a Ryan Merkley or a Thomas Bordeleau to be the base of any return package.

Aside from the nostalgia of bringing him back, idk why the Sharks would trade for Pavelski though. He isn’t making that team a Cup contender & would the Sharks really be willing to give up good future assets simply for nostalgia?
May 14, 2021 at 3:07 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Campabee
The reason Weber's contract is better is because he gets paid less actual cash over the same time frame and even IF he retires early Montreal has little to no recapture penalty. Whereas IF Vlasic were to retire we would still have to pay the full value of the contract it just wouldn't count towards the cap.

If either player retires before the end of their contracts, neither player is owed any money by the Canadiens. Montreal's possible recapture with Weber expired last season and Vlasic doesn't have the kind of back-diving deal that is now illegal and would require retirement recapture. Only the Predators would be on the hook for Weber's retirement.

You do make an argument in favour of the cash-dollars owed though. Vlasic is owed almost three times as much money as Weber is over this period. Adding Allen to the equation and the Habs are spending twice as much as they were on Weber and Allen. I don't think either contract is favourable beyond the actual money however: each deal has 5 years left until both men are fossils and both men are starting to decline.

Does there exist an asset in the form of picks/prospects that can bridge the cash difference of $17.75M versus the $34.25M that Vlasic is owed? I suspect it comes in the form of the Sharks retaining up to $1M (can figure out how to make the roster work otherwise) annually to help bridge this gap. I don't suspect this piece is more than a 1st (which is still a high cost) given that the Molson's aren't hard-up for cash and could very quickly market around Vlasic.
May 14, 2021 at 3:09 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: TheMooterus
Bishop > Khudobin. You can have Khudobin for free. Bishop wouldn’t waive his NMC for San Jose anyway.

Pavelski I’m fine with shopping. After the season he had, his value is going to be about as high as it’ll ever be again, so how’s the time to shop him. If I’m shopping him, I’m probably looking for a Ryan Merkley or a Thomas Bordeleau to be the base of any return package.

Aside from the nostalgia of bringing him back, idk why the Sharks would trade for Pavelski though. He isn’t making that team a Cup contender & would the Sharks really be willing to give up good future assets simply for nostalgia?

I agree about Bishop > Khudobin but the optics of trading that deal so soon after signing it are poor. Doesn't line up well if the Stars are looking at a retool and might want to bring in a quality free agent in a year or two.

I can't fully speak to that but there is going to be a familiarity with the guys in the room, considerations to leadership, and that Pavelski is a very good #3C in the short-term. Karlsson and company are going to think they're looking to be cup contenders but I don't think there's a roster configuration for this club that gets them past the 2nd round in any circumstance. Just the reality of the hand they're dealt.
TheMooterus liked this.
May 14, 2021 at 3:28 p.m.
True Reverse Retro
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I agree about Bishop > Khudobin but the optics of trading that deal so soon after signing it are poor. Doesn't line up well if the Stars are looking at a retool and might want to bring in a quality free agent in a year or two.

I can't fully speak to that but there is going to be a familiarity with the guys in the room, considerations to leadership, and that Pavelski is a very good #3C in the short-term. Karlsson and company are going to think they're looking to be cup contenders but I don't think there's a roster configuration for this club that gets them past the 2nd round in any circumstance. Just the reality of the hand they're dealt.

Unless Bishop waives his NMC, which I don't see any scenario where he does, the Stars have to do whatever it takes to move Khudobin. That can be paying Seattle to take him or trading him elsewhere for a 7th round pick, but he has to be off the roster by opening night. If he's still in Dallas, they have to either run with 3 goalies or send Jake Oettinger, who is arguably the best goalie in the organization right now, down to the AHL. This is exactly why myself along with many Stars fans were annoyed when Dallas re-signed Khudobin to a deal longer than 1 year.

Oettinger AT MINIMUM should be splitting starts with Bishop next season & there's a very real scenario where he is the full time starter by the end of the season with Bishop relegated to backup duty (which would be ideal, given his injury history).

I agree with you on the fact that I don't see a roster that gets San Jose past the 2nd Round, and I think even that may be a bit optimistic. Obviously the GM & the Owners are going to say that they are competing for a Cup, but I'd really be curious what the mindset currently is of the brass in San Jose. From a business perspective, have they resigned themselves to the fact that their Cup window has closed & that they need to start the process of getting younger, or do they genuinely still believe that their Cup window is still open? If it's the latter, then absolutely make the trade that gives you the best shot to win, but if it's the former then losing a prospect or two for a 37-year old isn't the best idea. If you really want him to play another season, you could always try and entice him to return before the 2022-2023 season when he's a UFA.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
May 14, 2021 at 3:42 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I think you're wrong about the Kraken and who they will select. They would be much better to draft a 800,000 minor leaguer and have over 7m in cap space to take a player who they really don't want.
I can't imagine Vlasic waiving to go to pressure filled Montreal. Vlasic, Couture, Burns, Kane and Karlsson...with their NTC have retired to California.
May 14, 2021 at 3:45 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: TheMooterus
Unless Bishop waives his NMC, which I don't see any scenario where he does, the Stars have to do whatever it takes to move Khudobin. That can be paying Seattle to take him or trading him elsewhere for a 7th round pick, but he has to be off the roster by opening night. If he's still in Dallas, they have to either run with 3 goalies or send Jake Oettinger, who is arguably the best goalie in the organization right now, down to the AHL. This is exactly why myself along with many Stars fans were annoyed when Dallas re-signed Khudobin to a deal longer than 1 year.

Oettinger AT MINIMUM should be splitting starts with Bishop next season & there's a very real scenario where he is the full time starter by the end of the season with Bishop relegated to backup duty (which would be ideal, given his injury history).

I agree with you on the fact that I don't see a roster that gets San Jose past the 2nd Round, and I think even that may be a bit optimistic. Obviously the GM & the Owners are going to say that they are competing for a Cup, but I'd really be curious what the mindset currently is of the brass in San Jose. From a business perspective, have they resigned themselves to the fact that their Cup window has closed & that they need to start the process of getting younger, or do they genuinely still believe that their Cup window is still open? If it's the latter, then absolutely make the trade that gives you the best shot to win, but if it's the former then losing a prospect or two for a 37-year old isn't the best idea. If you really want him to play another season, you could always try and entice him to return before the 2022-2023 season when he's a UFA.

Fully agree about Oettinger.

It's important that we recall that Bishop has an M-NTC: prior to 2022 free agency opening there are 10 teams must provide a list to Star's management of where he'd refuse to go to. I think teams like Chicago and San Jose don't fall within that 10-team list as I suspect he wants starting minutes and those teams are close enough to the playoffs to rule out an immediate 'no'. I believe teams with bonafide goaltending tandems or purely basement-dwelling teams will comprise his M-NTC list.

For the record, I believe most of the list to be:

Anaheim
Arizona
Buffalo
Columbus
Detroit
New Jersey
New York I.
New York R.
Ottawa
Seattle

I believe San Jose exists on it right now, but with the above moves and a bit of coaxing from both Sharks and Stars management he would waive to play there. California and playoff hockey seems like a pretty great setup.
May 14, 2021 at 3:46 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: palhal
I think you're wrong about the Kraken and who they will select. They would be much better to draft a 800,000 minor leaguer and have over 7m in cap space to take a player who they really don't want.
I can't imagine Vlasic waiving to go to pressure filled Montreal. Vlasic, Couture, Burns, Kane and Karlsson...with their NTC have retired to California.

This kind of thinking defeats the point of the overall thought experiment even if I do think you're correct. Seattle shouldn't be doing favours for clubs without a king's ransom and I don't see how any player actually wants to play in Montreal these days if the rumours about Drouin are true.
May 14, 2021 at 4:11 p.m.
I’m not sure there’s any way I see us getting Pavelski back other than I’m free agency next offseason. Think he’s just too valuable to the Stars as is.

And while you’re right in your description of the Vlasic-Weber trade, I just think Vlasic is so much worse than Weber that no one will even dare touch his contract. And even if we could could convince someone to do so, the Sharks would be unwise to pay the steep price it would cost to dump him.

On a side note, I would try to move Donato, move Pavelski up the lineup and find a better 3C if possible. Not super important but it’s a small change I would make.
May 14, 2021 at 4:15 p.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
couldnt_let_go.png
May 14, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
Quoting: palhal

the thing with Burns and Seattle is that they are going to need a minute crunching defense man who can be a leader in the locker room. Burns had the 3rd highest TOI of any player this year and would in all likelihood become the captain. It's also an opportunity to get an incentive. If this was any other team, I would say hold out for lots of retention, but for an expansion team, I think Seattle is going to be looking to follow in Vegas' footsteps in finding good characters for the situation.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll