Forums/Armchair-GM

So like is Dougie back

Created by: Tyler_A10
Team: 2021-22 Carolina Hurricanes
Initial Creation Date: May 14, 2021
Published: May 14, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I’m gonna simulate what looks like if you can get Dougie back. And what that means for the rest of the roster, including call ups for some prospects who have impressed a ton.

Keep in mind, I am not a hurricanes fan, so if I misjudge the value of a player, please tell me where I got this wrong.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,500,000
2$6,000,000
2$1,750,000
2$1,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$9,500,000
1$3,500,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
CAR
SEA
  1. Foegele, Warren [RFA Rights]
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the STL
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the CAR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$79,831,083$0$1,250,000$1,668,917
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$8,460,250$8,460,250
C
UFA - 3
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RW
RFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD/RD
RFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 14, 2021 at 2:50 p.m.
Canes fan
I would like it how it is, but I think Ned and Svech are gonna want way more than that.
May 14, 2021 at 2:51 p.m.
Carolina likely protect Foegele.

Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Staal, Trocheck, Neiderreiter, Foegele
Slavin, Pesce, Dougie
Nedeljkovic

Necas is exempt.
May 14, 2021 at 2:51 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I was under the impression the Canes were going to try and move one of Gardiner or Skjei during expansion. Likely that you can shave $1M off of Hamilton's AAV, I think he likes playing in Carolina enough to not rob them blind.

Love Jarvis as much as the next guy but if he's NHL bound it'll be as a third-liner. I'm almost of the opinion the Canes should run Bokk - Staal - Jarvis as their third line and push Fast down the roster.
May 14, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: Caniac2000
Carolina likely protect Foegele.

Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, Staal, Trocheck, Neiderreiter, Foegele
Slavin, Pesce, Dougie
Nedeljkovic

Necas is exempt.

I doubt that either of Niederreiter or Hamilton are protected. Hamilton makes no sense since he'll be a pending UFA and likely doesn't sign in Seattle. Be smarter to protect Bean with a handshake agreement with Hamilton that he signs after the draft. And protecting Niederreiter means likely losing Morgan Geekie. Seems to be smarter to protect the younger, cheaper players and if Seattle takes Niederreiter than it frees more cap space for Hamilton and other guys
May 14, 2021 at 3:04 p.m.
Quoting: TrueCanuck
I doubt that either of Niederreiter or Hamilton are protected. Hamilton makes no sense since he'll be a pending UFA and likely doesn't sign in Seattle. Be smarter to protect Bean with a handshake agreement with Hamilton that he signs after the draft. And protecting Niederreiter means likely losing Morgan Geekie. Seems to be smarter to protect the younger, cheaper players and if Seattle takes Niederreiter than it frees more cap space for Hamilton and other guys

Exactly, is beyond dumb to protect a ufa to be in Hamilton. I’d leave Niederreiter exposed personally, but could see them protecting him since he has had a good season and is signed for 1 more year.

And I’ll say this, zero chance Hamilton gets $9.5M from the Canes. I don’t think they even end up offering him something that starts at $8M. In other words, he gone.
TrueCanuck and palhal liked this.
May 14, 2021 at 3:09 p.m.
Quoting: TrueCanuck

Hamilton is one of the best defenseman in the NHL. Why would you risk losing him? Worst scenario is they take Bean, who's looked pedestrian post his first 2 weeks in the NHL. Niederreiter also had 35 points and 20 goals, why would you give that up for a kid who couldn't even make the lineup this year? If they take geekie, let them.
Tyler_A10 liked this.
May 14, 2021 at 3:12 p.m.
Roster Architect
Hamilton is one of the best defenseman in the NHL. Why would you risk losing him? Worst scenario is they take Bean, who's looked pedestrian post his first 2 weeks in the NHL. Niederreiter also had 40 points and 20 goals, why would you give that up for a kid who couldn't even make the lineup this year? If they take geekie, let them.

Let them take Niederreiter and free up more cap space for additional needs and Geekie can take that spot and Necas will likely provide more production to make up for the loss. Svechnikov is gonna want quite a bit and if you wanna keep him and Hamilton you're gonna need more cap space. Hamilton likely won't sign in Seattle. He's a top flight defenceman that's gonna want his best chance to win, Seattle won't give him that. Carolina gives him a better chance. So again, have handshake agreement with him on an extension before the draft and don't make it official till after. He won't be picked. That way you keep your best assets.
May 14, 2021 at 3:15 p.m.
Hamilton is one of the best defenseman in the NHL. Why would you risk losing him? Worst scenario is they take Bean, who's looked pedestrian post his first 2 weeks in the NHL. Niederreiter also had 35 points and 20 goals, why would you give that up for a kid who couldn't even make the lineup this year? If they take geekie, let them.

You don’t seem to understand the expansion draft.

It only makes sense to protect Hamilton if he is re-signed prior to the expansion draft. Guess what, Seattle has a window BEFORE the expansion draft to talk to all ufa-to-be players. IF they come to a deal with a ufa-to-be, that deal is done and the player who was signed counts as the “pick” from his prior team.

So, if by oddball chance, Hamilton signs with Seattle, guess what (again), that would happen BEFORE the expansion draft not after. If Hamilton doesn’t sign with the Kraken, why on earth would you protect him over a player with more team control? You would have less than a week to work out a contract before so many other teams will
offer him MORE $$$ than the Canes will.

A little understanding of how the expansion draft actually works might go a long way...
May 14, 2021 at 3:29 p.m.
Quoting: spockrock
You don’t seem to understand the expansion draft.

It only makes sense to protect Hamilton if he is re-signed prior to the expansion draft. Guess what, Seattle has a window BEFORE the expansion draft to talk to all ufa-to-be players. IF they come to a deal with a ufa-to-be, that deal is done and the player who was signed counts as the “pick” from his prior team.

So, if by oddball chance, Hamilton signs with Seattle, guess what (again), that would happen BEFORE the expansion draft not after. If Hamilton doesn’t sign with the Kraken, why on earth would you protect him over a player with more team control? You would have less than a week to work out a contract before so many other teams will
offer him MORE $$$ than the Canes will.

A little understanding of how the expansion draft actually works might go a long way...

I am well aware of how the expansion draft works, but this is a very unique situation. Hamilton is one of the best players in the NHL. Seattle will get to talk to all PENDING (in capitals since you didn't seem to remember it)

A little understanding of how circumstances change here might go a long way

Hamilton is an elite defenseman and one of the best in the NHL. He came 4th in Norris voting last year. With me so far?

Vegas were the last expansion team. They have had paramount success since joining the NHL. They weaponised their cap space to attract more picks in exchange for eating bad deals.

Seattle will have the same boat load of cap space. They have the chance for the same paramount success. Hamilton can play for a cup contender (If this expansion draft is anything like Vegas') AND still get paid, what... 11/12 million a year?

The reason you protect him is because if Seattle do not pick a UFA they have an agreement with, they cannot sign him for a calendar year. That gives you better odds at keeping the best offensive defenseman in the history of the franchise.

There is no logical reason to expose Hamilton. A little common sense goes a long way here.
May 14, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
I am well aware of how the expansion draft works, but this is a very unique situation. Hamilton is one of the best players in the NHL. Seattle will get to talk to all PENDING (in capitals since you didn't seem to remember it)

A little understanding of how circumstances change here might go a long way

Hamilton is an elite defenseman and one of the best in the NHL. He came 4th in Norris voting last year. With me so far?

Vegas were the last expansion team. They have had paramount success since joining the NHL. They weaponised their cap space to attract more picks in exchange for eating bad deals.

Seattle will have the same boat load of cap space. They have the chance for the same paramount success. Hamilton can play for a cup contender (If this expansion draft is anything like Vegas') AND still get paid, what... 11/12 million a year?

The reason you protect him is because if Seattle do not pick a UFA they have an agreement with, they cannot sign him for a calendar year. That gives you better odds at keeping the best offensive defenseman in the history of the franchise.

There is no logical reason to expose Hamilton. A little common sense goes a long way here.

The logical reason to not protect him is that you are not sure you are going to re-sign him, which is highly unlikely at this point. You take your chances and limit what you lose when he inevitably walks.

Get it through your head-he gone
May 14, 2021 at 3:50 p.m.
The logical reason to not protect him is that you are not sure you are going to re-sign him, which is highly unlikely at this point. You take your chances and limit what you lose when he inevitably walks.

Get it through your head-he gone

Why would you just give up on one of the best defenders in the NHL? He's the best in terms of all underlying metrics and an organisation like Carolina who knows this will not risk anything... and will probably look at re-signing him.

Get it through your head, it makes no sense to let him walk.
May 14, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
Why would you just give up on one of the best defenders in the NHL? He's the best in terms of all underlying metrics and an organisation like Carolina who knows this will not risk anything... and will probably look at re-signing him.

Get it through your head, it makes no sense to let him walk.

Theres no chance they pay him $8M for 8 years. Other teams will. It’s asinine to suggest they protect him and then lose him as well as another player.
May 15, 2021 at 6:12 a.m.
Theres no chance they pay him $8M for 8 years. Other teams will. It’s asinine to suggest they protect him and then lose him as well as another player.

Then pay him! He's one of the best players in the NHL! Why would let him leave? He's a PPG defenseman, or close enough to it. You pay him whatever he wants because he's the most dominant defenseman in the history of the organization.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll