SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Top-16

Top-16

Draft Class: 2021
Created By: BeterChiarelli
Published: May 16, 2021 at 3:46 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Regardless of whether or not they trade Eichel, Beniers has a ton of upside and would occupy a crucial position. Having him in the system could make an Eichel trade more flexible, not requiring that a top-center MUST be included.
2Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Hard to pass up on both a kid grown in your own backyard and one that is likely close to being NHL ready and plays a position of need. I think Wallstedt might be higher on their list but passing up on Power would be lunacy
3Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-Everyone in the top-3 gets something that they want, with the Ducks finding a finishing partner to pair with Zegras down the stretch. If Detroit remains patient with Power, I think Guenther is the player most apt to make the NHL next year given that there's not a lot of reason to leave him in the WHL much longer. Maybe they try Europe?
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-Welcome to the NHL. On your way in, make sure you grab a complimentary top-pairing defender and grow him in-house for a few seasons before bringing him up to the NHL. Typially I'd have Hughes going here for marketability, but the gap between Simon and Luke is vast.
5Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-NEW JERSEY DEVILS The back end is missing few dominant pieces, and nowhere else more than at RHD. Grab a brother, fill a position of need, and grab the BPA in the same pick? That's lucky.
6Logo of the New Jersey Devils-COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS He's not Beniers but he's very much the best piece abailable here. A lot of people thought Pettersson would be an NHL winger and his development allowed him to become one of the premier young centers in the game. Jarmo will look to try and accomplish the same thing here. Worst case scenario, hell of a winger to grab at #6.
7Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-SAN JOSE SHARKS Requisite Johnson to San Jose pick. Thanks for coming.
8Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-So this one's a touch off the board. In my eyes the Kings need wingers and a goalie to tandem with Cal in the future. The names they have in the system aren't promising besides Ingham. Wallstedt's a near-guarantee and fills that void immediately. Grab some wingers with your seconds and next year pick: this piece doesn't come along very often, if at all.
9Logo of the San Jose Sharks-VANCOUVER CANUCKS Not the best pick available. The Canucks try to get cute with a pair of brothers (seen this one before) but it's hard to blame them. They definitely need a piece on the back end but needs are being prioritized over taking Lysell.
10Logo of the Ottawa Senators-The Sens instead capitalize on Benning's nepotism and in drafting Lysell make the commitment to trying to develop Stuetzle as a centerman. If they can grab a quality pivot next year maybe they flip-flop on that idea down the road.
11Logo of the Calgary Flames-Repeat after me: Calgary needs right-handed shots. First piece added in what's likely going to be a two-ish year retool. Probably develops as a winger for the Flames.
12Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Draft Pick Forfeited
13Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-McTavish's draft stock went sky-high after the U18's and it's hard to not blame Chicago for grabbing him here. Not many quality defenders in this range and they need pieces all over. He'll fit nicely as Dach's LW.
14Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Best player available. Hard to see the Flyers keeping this pick. Sillinger goes here regardless of who's taking him, but I suspect the Flyers make a move for a RHD with this pick.
15Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-DALLAS STARS Here's where I suspect the certainty of most mock drafts drop off. With a lack of quality pivots and defenders here, Dallas is locked into taking a winger. Chibrikov's stock, like McTavish's went through the roof during the U18's and they'd have gotten a good look at him in the meantime given they hosted. Matthew Coronato could go here too, but my guess is they want the RW over another LW.
16Logo of the St. Louis Blues-NEW YORK RANGERS Not necessarily the 'best' player available but he's far from a reach here. The only thing the Rangers are missing in their system are more quality pivots and I like what I've seen from Bolduc's two years in junior. He'll be interesting to see at full health next year.
17Logo of the Dallas Stars-
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
19Logo of the New York Rangers-
20Logo of the Nashville Predators-
21Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
22Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the New York Islanders
23Logo of the Boston Bruins-
24Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the Washington Capitals
25Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
26Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
27Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
28Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
29Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
30Logo of the Florida Panthers-
31Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
May 16, 2021 at 3:47 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I'll likely do 17-32 later tonight. Can't wait for mock drafts to get a standings update lol
May 16, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Interesting D rankings i like Hughes the most out of all the top 4 D's, Edvinsson then Power then Clarke.
May 16, 2021 at 4:43 p.m.
Well that wasnt very informative on the sharks pick
May 16, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Interesting D rankings i like Hughes the most out of all the top 4 D's, Edvinsson then Power then Clarke.

Based on?

Hughes plays in the weaker leagues (both the USHL and USDP rate lower than the Swedish J20 league by NHLe) and is yet to play against men. Both Edvinsson and Power played well against both peers and those senior to them this season. Clarke got premier minutes AND played in the strongest league of all four defenders. If we use NHLe as a rough metric to compare their offensive totals:

Clarke: 82GP 9.184G - 18.368A - 27.552P
Power: 82GP - 3.238G - 14.030A - 17.268P
Edvinsson: 82GP - 0.563G - 11.864A - 12.427A
Hughes: 82GP - 2.410G - 8.406A - 10.816P

Keep in mind that unlike forwards, NHLe is a bit flawed when it comes to defenceman. Scoring isn't their bread and butter, but it does give a quick snapshot at how skilled they are.

We see that Hughes has been the least productive of the bunch. We also know that both NCAA freshmen and Swedish juniors rarely see the premier minutes. Power and Edvinsson are out-producing Hughes by a noticeable margin without the key minutes. Clarke's numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt: his numbers are very much a fact of his seeing top line and powerplay usage and he won't immediately translate that well immediately. A return to junior will demonstrate how capable he is, and AHL minutes will confirm it. I take a lot of consideration into the fact that McKenzie and a lot of other reputable scouting services have Hughes behind Power at a minimum. Stylistically, there may be more upside to Hughes over Edvinsson in a few years' time, but from what I see today Edvinsson is currently the better player. Clarke's handedness on top of his productivity give him a substantial amount of value on its own, and I think he goes high more because of his handedness and ability to quarterback a powerplay over his ability to defend.

The biggest thing Hughes has going for him right now is his name.
Fishbrain liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 4:58 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: papishark
Well that wasnt very informative on the sharks pick

He's the pick that's most apt to keep the Sharks competitive over the next half decade given the mandate from management and Karlsson. A lot of drafts have him going to the Sharks.

Someone compared him to Marner-lite and I think the better comparison is RNH-lite. See analysis below:

Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'm personally not hating on him, it's a matter of how he's been utilized and the development path he's taken.

Kent Johnson: D-1 and D0 NHLe:
82GP - 8.056G - 12.66A - 20.716P
82GP - 9.714G - 19.426A - 29.140P.

The path for any Canadian forward into the NCAA without going through the USHL takes a toll on both their numbers and their draft stock: Canadian Jr. A isn't yet a prolific enough of a set of leagues to suggest it's the best developmental environment for top prospects. The BCHL is Canada's top Jr.A league and it's still about 25% weaker than the USHL. It doesn't help that Johnson is a genuine beanpole and doesn't engage in any physical play at all. Hockey men are a bit proterozoic in this regard and will make note of it.

For reference, Marner's D-1 and D0 numbers:
82GP: 5.669G - 18.423A - 24.092P
82GP 19.582G - 32.883A - 52.465P

RNH's D-1 and D0 numbers:
82GP: 8.587G - 15.385A - 23.972P
82GP: 11.399G - 26.706A - 38.105P

Marner was in a completely different stratosphere come his draft day than Johnson is today. In terms of size, style, position, and usage, Johnson is clearly RNH-lite, falling about 9 NHL points shy in terms of what RNH was projected to be when he went first overall. It's not a poor comparison, RNH is a multi-tool that can take faceoffs but is likely a very average #2C at best. More suited to the wing.
papishark liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Based on?

Hughes plays in the weaker leagues (both the USHL and USDP rate lower than the Swedish J20 league by NHLe) and is yet to play against men. Both Edvinsson and Power played well against both peers and those senior to them this season. Clarke got premier minutes AND played in the strongest league of all four defenders. If we use NHLe as a rough metric to compare their offensive totals:

Clarke: 82GP 9.184G - 18.368A - 27.552P
Power: 82GP - 3.238G - 14.030A - 17.268P
Edvinsson: 82GP - 0.563G - 11.864A - 12.427A
Hughes: 82GP - 2.410G - 8.406A - 10.816P

Keep in mind that unlike forwards, NHLe is a bit flawed when it comes to defenceman. Scoring isn't their bread and butter, but it does give a quick snapshot at how skilled they are.

We see that Hughes has been the least productive of the bunch. We also know that both NCAA freshmen and Swedish juniors rarely see the premier minutes. Power and Edvinsson are out-producing Hughes by a noticeable margin without the key minutes. Clarke's numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt: his numbers are very much a fact of his seeing top line and powerplay usage and he won't immediately translate that well immediately. A return to junior will demonstrate how capable he is, and AHL minutes will confirm it. I take a lot of consideration into the fact that McKenzie and a lot of other reputable scouting services have Hughes behind Power at a minimum. Stylistically, there may be more upside to Hughes over Edvinsson in a few years' time, but from what I see today Edvinsson is currently the better player. Clarke's handedness on top of his productivity give him a substantial amount of value on its own, and I think he goes high more because of his handedness and ability to quarterback a powerplay over his ability to defend.

The biggest thing Hughes has going for him right now is his name.

My analysis of their play and scouting reports, i'm definitely not the best scout but i really like Edvinsson and Hughes
May 16, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
My analysis of their play and scouting reports, i'm definitely not the best scout but i really like Edvinsson and Hughes

Until I see a reason to elevate Hughes beyond marketability, I don't think I will.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 5:16 p.m.

Where did you get the NHLe values?
May 16, 2021 at 5:28 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: HabsFan77
Where did you get the NHLe values?

I use mannyelk's values that he posted to his Twitter July 3rd 2018. Ever so slightly outdated but I don't think Volmann has published anything more up to date. Last I checked you need to follow him on Twitter in order to access the NHLe values. My formula is as follows:

(stat / games played) * 82 NHL games * 2 * (NHLe Factor)

The x2 multiplier works its way in there because the Dobber calculator was doubling the values I was coming up without it for U21 players. 22 and above it's discluded iirc.

Should also note that the Edvinsson and Hughes values are unweighted averages of their seasons across various leagues. I don't include playoffs or international tournaments due to a lack of sample size for both and an unreliable conversion factor for the latter.
nickthehabsfan liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 5:46 p.m.
As a Detroit fan I would love this but Detroit has no lottery luck at all. It's more likely they pick somewhere between 7th and 9th.
BeterChiarelli liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 5:48 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: aedoran
As a Detroit fan I would love this but Detroit has no lottery luck at all. It's more likely they pick somewhere between 7th and 9th.

The only thing that's constant in life is change. They've earned it.
aedoran liked this.
May 16, 2021 at 11:12 p.m.
Bad Take Bot v1.02
Finally! someone acknowledging Sharks are probably going to draft Johnson!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll