SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/General Fantasy Talk

Leafs Defense Options

Jan. 17, 2017 at 9:13 p.m.
Media has made it obvious that Leafs need some defense help, and that's fair given that they're so stacked up front; BUT with the cost of defenseman, what would be there best bet be? They can either 1. Keep their same defenseman (resign Polak, Hunwick, Corrado) 2. Look to Free Agency to find some players or 3. Make a trade (keep in mind expansion draft will benefit leafs)

1. Keep their same core

This isn't an awful option, their top 4 are relatively young, Rielly is pushing no. 1 status and Gardiner has been an absolute stud. Carrick and Zaitsev can build off of their first NHL season, and look to improve the top 4. The issue comes with the bottom tier options, Hunwick and especially Polak are struggling to keep up with the Leafs pace. Marincin has been injured for the last month but he could be a serviceable top 6 defenseman.

2. Shop in Free Agency

There's a couple options here that make sense: Big ticket defenders include: Karl Alzner, Michael Stone, and Kevin Shattenkirk. Other options include Michael Del Zotto, Brian Campbell, and Kris Russell. This option allows the Leafs to keep all their forwards but it could cost more salary. I think as the Leafs continue on it's become apparent that they might not need to spend on a big ticket FA. If they were to sign Shattenkirk it would kick Zaitsev or Carrick out of the top 4, and cost the Leafs 7m. I think a more beneficial option would be to sign some options like a Brian Campbell, or a more fluid mobile defender in the bottom six to a cheaper shorter term contract.

3. Make a trade

This option isn't entirely bad either. The Maple Leafs are in a perfect position to acquire with the expansion draft looming over many teams to shed a defender (see ANA, MIN, CLB, etc). I think a player like Josh Manson, or a Calvin De Haan, and David Savard type could be had for a good price. These players might not cost too much and could help improve our depth. I think another option that exists that hasn't been talked about it them acquiring an ELITE defenseman. I don't know what kind of team would, but the Leafs could put together a solid package together. Zaitsev I think could be used as a good trade piece, he's a top 4 exempt defenseman, so a team could protect their depth; the Leafs could also use JVR or Kapanen. All these pieces could be used to pick up a player like Justin Faulk (a top tier right handed defenseman).

Personally I would like them to keep as much talent as possible, and to reduce huge salaries. So if that means we go into the new year with the same top 4 and a couple cheaper top six options than that could work
Jan. 23, 2017 at 10:41 a.m.
Follow CapFriendly
I think they should look to free agency in the off-season. No point to trade for a big name right now. Even though Leafs are doing well right now, no need to lose some talent for a playoff push. Leafs are still fairly early in their rebuild so I think we should stick to what we have right now. Once we lose some big contracts (Laich, Michalek, Greening, Robidas), we will have tons of room to add some better free agents. I think patience in our rebuild is more important than losing a valuable player over a rental player.
Feb. 12, 2017 at 11:48 a.m.
NBABound
Quoting: Leafs
I think they should look to free agency in the off-season. No point to trade for a big name right now. Even though Leafs are doing well right now, no need to lose some talent for a playoff push. Leafs are still fairly early in their rebuild so I think we should stick to what we have right now. Once we lose some big contracts (Laich, Michalek, Greening, Robidas), we will have tons of room to add some better free agents. I think patience in our rebuild is more important than losing a valuable player over a rental player.
Well said.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll