SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Salary cap-less playoffs

Do you agree with no salary cap in the playoffs?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 17, 2021 at 9:44 a.m.
TBL is sparking some "cheating" bickering amongst fans, especially after Kuch was the X-Factor in last night's game. And I feel it is pretty cheap. I understand Kuch had hip surgery and was slated to be out the entire season, but from what I've heard he's been skating the past month and did resume practicing with the team within the last couple weeks of the regular season. I don't know if the NHL regulates who "should" be on LTIR or not, but if Seguin could come back, I'm sure Kuch could've came back if it was "needed". But, to circumvent the cap, he stayed on the sidelines until last night.

I can understand having unlimited roster spots during the post season, but I think it's personally pretty cheap to have no salary cap in the playoffs, when it really matters. Especially if the NHL doesn't regulate who should or shouldn't be on LTIR... then again, even if Kuch was ready post trade deadline, there was no realistic way to force him in. But maybe that could have prevented the TDL acquisitions. Hell, even before that, they were way over the cap. I don't know.

I can't really think of any cases where these big name players (Stamkos and Kuch) returned for the playoffs and had their team 15mil+ over the salary cap. Is this completely new territory for the NHL? Do you expect any rule changes from this? Or, are "people" overreacting and this happens every year?

Perhaps a happy-medium would be you can only go a certain percentage over the cap in the playoffs? Maybe 10%?
May 17, 2021 at 10:30 a.m.
Quoting: mvp13
TBL is sparking some "cheating" bickering amongst fans, especially after Kuch was the X-Factor in last night's game. And I feel it is pretty cheap. I understand Kuch had hip surgery and was slated to be out the entire season, but from what I've heard he's been skating the past month and did resume practicing with the team within the last couple weeks of the regular season. I don't know if the NHL regulates who "should" be on LTIR or not, but if Seguin could come back, I'm sure Kuch could've came back if it was "needed". But, to circumvent the cap, he stayed on the sidelines until last night.

I can understand having unlimited roster spots during the post season, but I think it's personally pretty cheap to have no salary cap in the playoffs, when it really matters. Especially if the NHL doesn't regulate who should or shouldn't be on LTIR... then again, even if Kuch was ready post trade deadline, there was no realistic way to force him in. But maybe that could have prevented the TDL acquisitions. Hell, even before that, they were way over the cap. I don't know.

I can't really think of any cases where these big name players (Stamkos and Kuch) returned for the playoffs and had their team 15mil+ over the salary cap. Is this completely new territory for the NHL? Do you expect any rule changes from this? Or, are "people" overreacting and this happens every year?

Perhaps a happy-medium would be you can only go a certain percentage over the cap in the playoffs? Maybe 10%?

Well when Chicago win the cup in 2015, Kane was out from Deadline to start of playoffs so they acquired Antoine Vermette with the cap space and then Kane was back for the playoffs, this isn't the first time an LTIR player comes back for the playoffs but it's the first i know of where there is contreversy and the player was probably healthy before the playoffa
May 17, 2021 at 11:04 a.m.
Edited May 17, 2021 at 11:10 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Well when Chicago win the cup in 2015, Kane was out from Deadline to start of playoffs so they acquired Antoine Vermette with the cap space and then Kane was back for the playoffs, this isn't the first time an LTIR player comes back for the playoffs but it's the first i know of where there is contreversy and the player was probably healthy before the playoffa

Yeah, I'm sure it's happened before, but this seems entirely egregious... they're at 99mil right now or something crazy. Kane was "only" 6.5mil then I believe so it's not nearly as bad as this one, with both Stamkos and Kuch as well as the TDL people

TOR and STL are also ~5mil over, to be fair. That's a bit more acceptable to me, and mostly just the unlimited roster spots (notable exception being Riley Nash)
May 17, 2021 at 11:17 a.m.
Rutta 4ever
but this seems entirely egregious... they're at 99mil right now or something crazy

The on ice roster is only $89m. Adding half the AHL doing nothing to the number is milking it.
May 17, 2021 at 11:20 a.m.
the whole "cheating" aspect is how can you look at kucherov last night and tell us he just became ready? he was ready at minimum 2 weeks ago and should have been back on the ice during the regular season. teams go over the cap all the time, theres currently 15 teams over the 81.5m amount.
May 17, 2021 at 3:38 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
the whole "cheating" aspect is how can you look at kucherov last night and tell us he just became ready? he was ready at minimum 2 weeks ago and should have been back on the ice during the regular season. teams go over the cap all the time, theres currently 15 teams over the 81.5m amount.

No there isn't haha, if you're going by the "final cap hit" thing, that includes several non-playoff teams that are now calculating in the LTIR players... ANA, VAN, CHI, DAL... in addition STL is also counting LTIR players that aren't playing in the playoffs (Steen). Of the teams playing in that 15, they're all only slightly over, and only over due to the lack of roster cap. They aren't over due to getting two super star players magically "ready" for game one
May 17, 2021 at 3:41 p.m.
Quoting: CoopsTroops
The on ice roster is only $89m. Adding half the AHL doing nothing to the number is milking it.

"only"... : P

You'd at least have to count the "standard" 23 players. It's still nearly 10 million over the cap... I'd hardly call that "only"!

Is it Hedman's turn to sit out all of next season to have this fantasy team squad together again? : P
May 17, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
"only"... : P

You'd at least have to count the "standard" 23 players. It's still nearly 10 million over the cap... I'd hardly call that "only"!

Is it Hedman's turn to sit out all of next season to have this fantasy team squad together again? : P

Started the season with 21 players, so you have to subtract 2.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit