The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 17, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Its okay to not be tampa vs florida, even if it was awesome
May 17, 2021 at 5:35 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: OutCold13
I've only seen a bit of Leafs hockey this year and your assessment seems accurate from that. Still with this year you have to wonder if they play like that because they want to or because they can.
You could say they are built to win the Canadian division and that is technically playoff hockey. Can't see them making it out of the semi finals.
If the Jets had a better blue line then they would be the team in the Canadian division to watch and if Hellebuyck gets hot maybe they still are.
Sorry Leafs fans, I really enjoy Marner and Matthews but as a team it doesn't look like what we have seen before when compared to past cup champs.

I could see the Jets trading for Morgan Rielly in the offseason so that’ll pretty much cement their spot as a legit contender.
OutCold13 liked this.
May 17, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Shibbal18
Dubas doesnt understand playoff hockey, hes an advanced stat nerd who covers his eyes when there's a fight

buddy your team hasn't seen playoff hockey in a decade. maybe don't talk **** about other teams when you your team isn't even built for regular season hockey.
BigDaddyOvech and oneX liked this.
May 17, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: faulkmydzingel
Hard to say they aren't built for playoffs when they haven't played a game yet. I've seen nothing but arguments of how weak the North Division was this year. Yet apparently Vegas and Colorado had it tough with 3 teams not reaching the 50 point mark? Carolina, Florida, and TB had it tough with 2 teams not making the 50 point mark? The East had it tough with Buffalo, Philly, and NJ in their division? I have found every argument extremely weak. Fact is there is no true test until playoffs start. Not often does the presidents trophy winner take the cup. Leafs will be fine. This is the most well rounded team they've iced since 93.

There aren’t any teams in the North that are considered legit contenders cuz no one is deep enough.
May 17, 2021 at 5:40 p.m.
Jetsfan
Their defence sucks and the goalie is unproven

Can they win 4-3, 5-4 against MTL??? It's gonna be interesting if they can cuz I doubt it
May 17, 2021 at 5:43 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: wabit
Time and space are harder to find in the Playoffs because the Refs swallow their whistles, so there is more clutch-n-grab and interference. Solid D-zone play/structure and decent goaltending is what takes teams far in the Playoffs. A high powered offense can win a series, but can't keep it up for the 4 series.

The Leafs are fine in the North where there don't have the VGK, BOS, MN, NSH, etc teams that play the physical, solid defense game to get TOR off their game and wear them down over 7 games. Get to the final 4 and anything can happen. The other 3 teams should be more beat up and worn down from their Divisions.

Time and space are harder to find in the Playoffs because the Refs swallow their whistles, so there is more clutch-n-grab and interference. Solid D-zone play/structure and decent goaltending is what takes teams far in the Playoffs. A high powered offense can win a series, but can't keep it up for the 4 series.

The Leafs are fine in the North where there don't have the VGK, BOS, MN, NSH, etc teams that play the physical, solid defense game to get TOR off their game and wear them down over 7 games. Get to the final 4 and anything can happen. The other 3 teams should be more beat up and worn down from their Divisions.

I agree that they’ll struggle vs strong defensive teams. Not because they lack physicality (I think they’ve got plenty of that) but because it’ll force their forwards to move the puck a lot quicker which is not their strong suit. They are a rather slow hockey team.
May 17, 2021 at 5:44 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
They are a rather slow hockey team.

You haven't watched a Toronto game all year, have you?
Faulk_my_Dzingel, CD282, MapleLeafsfan2003 and 2 others liked this.
May 17, 2021 at 5:45 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Jetman

Can they win 4-3, 5-4 against MTL??? It's gonna be interesting if they can cuz I doubt it

Why does their defence suck? Rielly, Brodie, Muzin, Dermott & Sandin all have an xGF share of 55% or higher. Do you think WPG’s defence is better?
May 17, 2021 at 5:46 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: mondo
You haven't watched a Toronto game all year, have you?

Obviously they have some quick skaters & smooth transition defencemen. But it’s the buildup in the offensive zone that becomes slow. At least compared to the other teams that have played this post season.
May 17, 2021 at 5:48 p.m.
torontos finest
Obviously they have some quick skaters & smooth transition defencemen. But it’s the buildup in the offensive zone that becomes slow. At least compared to the other teams that have played this post season.

Because they go for high danger shots instead of rifling whatever at the net.
Faulk_my_Dzingel liked this.
May 17, 2021 at 5:55 p.m.
Smythe.over.Hart
There aren’t any teams in the North that are considered legit contenders cuz no one is deep enough.

Right. Well Vegas disagrees with you on this with their odds having the Leafs at the third greatest chance of winning the cup right behind Colorado and Vegas who are in the same division....

Media agree that the Oilers are actually a contender this post season. And up until a month and a half ago many were predicting Winnipeg to come out of the North. So I don't know if you get your intelligence from Steve Simmons but try again.
CD282 liked this.
May 17, 2021 at 5:55 p.m.
CHI NYI
This is the best Leafs team we've seen of the Matthews/Marner/Nylander era (by far I think). Whether you think that's because of their "weak" division or them actually being a legit contender (I side with the latter thinking fwiw), I don't think there's any denying that. If they look bad and lose in round 1 again, with this core and team being as good as they were in the regular season, then I think we can call into question whether or not this vision is feasible, but I think they deserve a chance to prove that before we dump on them.

Everyone knew in years past that the team was flawed and the two (three?) biggest flaws have been addressed in the last 12-16 months: Defense (Brodie, emergence of Holl), physicality (Simmonds, Bogo, Hyman having insane year) and goaltending (Campbell). Are those fixes going to be enough to put them over the top in a series or are there new problems going to arise?
oneX liked this.
May 17, 2021 at 6:02 p.m.
MTL has 3 below replacement level defenders in their top 4 (Weber, Edmundson & chariot) so I don’t think Toronto should have much trouble with them even with their relentless style. When they face a good team, they'll Be toast.

Those guys are all huge (6'4 / 230) and will give Toronto's forwards hell trying to get to the net.
May 17, 2021 at 6:15 p.m.
Shibbal18
buddy your team hasn't seen playoff hockey in a decade. maybe don't talk **** about other teams when you your team isn't even built for regular season hockey.

Buddy I dont run my team, I can say what ever I want. Sabres have at least won a series more recently than Toronto
May 17, 2021 at 6:43 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Shibbal18
Sabres have at least won a series more recently than Toronto

coolio. but hey at least your gm doesn't wear glasses, right?
Saskleaf liked this.
May 17, 2021 at 7:20 p.m.
If they lose to the Habs....god help us all. This is the first of 3 seasons Dubas' Leafs have been better than Lou's Isles.
May 17, 2021 at 7:23 p.m.
Jetsfan
Why does their defence suck? Rielly, Brodie, Muzin, Dermott & Sandin all have an xGF share of 55% or higher. Do you think WPG’s defence is better?

Check out the last 5 or 10 games...not very good imo
May 17, 2021 at 7:36 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Because they go for high danger shots instead of rifling whatever at the net.

That’s cuz all the teams they faced are weak defensively & will give them space to create those quality opportunities. It’s a different story vs teams like TBL, COL & CAR. They’re going to need to move much quicker & shoot for rebounds.
May 17, 2021 at 7:39 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
If they lose to the Habs....god help us all. This is the first of 3 seasons Dubas' Leafs have been better than Lou's Isles.

Eh, Lou left Dubas with a mess to clean up with the Zaitsev & Marleau contracts. Plus his awful drafting left no one in the prospect pool. So this is technically Dubas’ 1st year with full control.
May 17, 2021 at 7:43 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
This is the best Leafs team we've seen of the Matthews/Marner/Nylander era (by far I think). Whether you think that's because of their "weak" division or them actually being a legit contender (I side with the latter thinking fwiw), I don't think there's any denying that. If they look bad and lose in round 1 again, with this core and team being as good as they were in the regular season, then I think we can call into question whether or not this vision is feasible, but I think they deserve a chance to prove that before we dump on them.

Everyone knew in years past that the team was flawed and the two (three?) biggest flaws have been addressed in the last 12-16 months: Defense (Brodie, emergence of Holl), physicality (Simmonds, Bogo, Hyman having insane year) and goaltending (Campbell). Are those fixes going to be enough to put them over the top in a series or are there new problems going to arise?

Yep I agree. This is the best defence core that the team has had (everyone except Holl has an xGF% above 55). They have plenty of physical players for playoff-style hockey. They play with good structure.

But something still seems missing. They’re just not a very fast team especially when building up the play in the offensive zone. Other teams that can skate & execute plays quickly will overwhelm them.
May 17, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.
NoWah49
I like the Brodie addition, but I don't think they go far. They can only go as far as 34 and 16 take them
May 17, 2021 at 9:04 p.m.
Please win the cup
Quoting: exo2769
We're certainly going to find out. I like the moves they made getting Foligno and signing Simmonds. They needed those type of Players. I still don't think their Dcore is all that great, nor their goalies, BUT you don't have to be perfect in every category AND the system takes a bit of blame for that...just being so aggressive. It makes the D look bad when they're probably ok.

What you don't like how Jack Campbell was struggling with injures and put up incredible stats?
May 17, 2021 at 9:07 p.m.
Please win the cup
Quoting: Jetman

The fact that Campbell is 17-3-2, and was pushed into the starting position doesn't prove him? GAA 2.15 SV% 921, not to mention he was struggling with an injury early on.
May 17, 2021 at 9:48 p.m.
Do I think they have one of the most skilled rosters in the league? Absolutely. But in reality? No, not a playoff hockey team. Watching the TB - FLA game last night, it reminded me how much of the rulebook is thrown out in the playoffs. Hockey is one of the only sports where there is that much of a change in how games are called in regular szn vs playoffs and how much you can get away with. That difference really hurts the leafs and how theyre constructed.
May 17, 2021 at 10:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

i mean who cares the leafs pp is meh and 5 on 5 they score a tonne, let the refs swallow their whistles lul. Does us a favor

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit