SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

What happens if Arizona wins the lottery?

May 18, 2021 at 11:27 a.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Say if they win the 1st overall pick do they redo the lottery or does the 2nd overall pick(lets say Buffalo) get the "1st overall pick"
May 18, 2021 at 11:31 a.m.
torontos finest
They redraw.

Can't provide a source on that but I've heard that's what will happen if the Coyotes get the 1st pick, they just do it again.
May 18, 2021 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: mondo
They redraw.

Can't provide a source on that but I've heard that's what will happen if the Coyotes get the 1st pick, they just do it again.

Quoting: Gmonwy
Say if they win the 1st overall pick do they redo the lottery or does the 2nd overall pick(lets say Buffalo) get the "1st overall pick"

Why would the Coyotes even be in the lottery? I see no purpose to having a team ineligible to win the lottery in the lottery
Devil liked this.
May 18, 2021 at 11:43 a.m.
Edited May 19, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.. Reason: i'm stupid
Just redraw
May 18, 2021 at 12:53 p.m.
Its just a redraw and arizona is skipped. If they win any of the top two it is redrawn. Once the lottery is over the yotes will just be skipped. They are still in the lottery because the NHL doesn't want to mess with the lottery odds especially with Seattle coming in. Hope this helps!
May 18, 2021 at 12:59 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: TheFlamingC
Why would the Coyotes even be in the lottery? I see no purpose to having a team ineligible to win the lottery in the lottery

It probably has to do with how the lottery is done and the Coyotes situation is being treated as an anomaly. The way the lottery is setup is that they pick four numbers from a possible fifteen and those numbers relate probably not to a team but to a lottery position.

Ie, lets say the numbers 4, 9, 10 and 15 are drawn. Those numbers are assigned to the sixth team in the draft order, which is currently Detroit. The numbers don't change year to year for the sixth team listed.

Removing Arizona would mean they'd have to redo all the sheets so it's easier to just redraw. 6% chance for one of their number sets to come up and it takes less time to just redo the lottery.
Devil liked this.
May 18, 2021 at 2:20 p.m.
It probably has to do with how the lottery is done and the Coyotes situation is being treated as an anomaly. The way the lottery is setup is that they pick four numbers from a possible fifteen and those numbers relate probably not to a team but to a lottery position.

Ie, lets say the numbers 4, 9, 10 and 15 are drawn. Those numbers are assigned to the sixth team in the draft order, which is currently Detroit. The numbers don't change year to year for the sixth team listed.

Removing Arizona would mean they'd have to redo all the sheets so it's easier to just redraw. 6% chance for one of their number sets to come up and it takes less time to just redo the lottery.

SEA gets into the lottery this year, so the numbers get changed anyways. Just take AZ balls out of it completely and it solves the redraw. Plus it won't add insult to injury for AZ if their ball had come up.
May 18, 2021 at 2:29 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: wabit
SEA gets into the lottery this year, so the numbers get changed anyways. Just take AZ balls out of it completely and it solves the redraw. Plus it won't add insult to injury for AZ if their ball had come up.

Watch the video I linked to. Teams don't have balls. They draw four numbered balls of a possible fifteen and check it against a sheet. The numbers will correspond to a draft placement instead of a team. Easier to just redo it instead of trying to retrofit a bunch of changes in.
May 18, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
Watch the video I linked to. Teams don't have balls. They draw four numbered balls of a possible fifteen and check it against a sheet. The numbers will correspond to a draft placement instead of a team. Easier to just redo it instead of trying to retrofit a bunch of changes in.

Ball numbers, whatever. They are still adding a 16th team this year so it has to be changed.
May 18, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
they go ****
May 19, 2021 at 12:15 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Am I the only one who has never seen a Yotes fan?

Anyway, I think they redraw it but they shouldn't. Instead since Seattle is coming into the league, they should just reassign the numbers accordingly. Because there were 15 teams in the lottery last year and this year.
May 19, 2021 at 2:46 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
Am I the only one who has never seen a Yotes fan?

Anyway, I think they redraw it but they shouldn't. Instead since Seattle is coming into the league, they should just reassign the numbers accordingly. Because there were 15 teams in the lottery last year and this year.

Just take out the Yotes and use the Vegas draft year formula.
May 19, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.
torontos finest
Ball numbers, whatever. They are still adding a 16th team this year so it has to be changed.

We're talking about a difference of 30 seconds to redraw.
May 19, 2021 at 3:18 p.m.
We're talking about a difference of 30 seconds to redraw.

Why even have that option on the table when it's easily preventable?

Seriously what if the numbers come up as AZ winning one of the top-3 3 picks? It's just insult to injury for an already beat down team/fanbase.

Bettman draw the numbers. *4 numbers*
Guy at the table says AZ.
Bettman put the balls back in and redraw. *4 numbers*
Bettman stop the camera.
May 19, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
torontos finest
Why even have that option on the table when it's easily preventable?

Seriously what if the numbers come up as AZ winning one of the top-3 3 picks? It's just insult to injury for an already beat down team/fanbase.

Bettman draw the numbers. *4 numbers*
Bettman put the balls back in and redraw. *4 numbers*
Bettman stop the camera.

Because there's a 0.4% chance that scenario happens.

They've also changed the lottery odds since 2017. It's literally easier just to redraw than to try and rearrange like 2000 numbers. If you don't want to add insult to injury, maybe don't break the rules in the first place.
May 19, 2021 at 3:57 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Just take out the Yotes and use the Vegas draft year formula.

What did they do during Vegas's draft year? I forgot
May 19, 2021 at 4:11 p.m.
Because there's a 0.4% chance that scenario happens.

They've also changed the lottery odds since 2017. It's literally easier just to redraw than to try and rearrange like 2000 numbers. If you don't want to add insult to injury, maybe don't break the rules in the first place.

A computer generates the number combos and someone prints that out on paper. It's not some guy sitting a room writing number combos down. The numbers change this year anyways because SEA is being added to have the same chance as the 3rd place team. This isn't some hard thing to do at a computer.

That pick has been removed from the draft it does not exist anymore. It should be removed from the lottery calculations in the same way.

The guy who did the cheating is gone. The team has been punished. Move on without bringing it back to the forefront. It's a bad image to have hanging over the excitement of the draft lottery if somehow a .4% chance happens.

The only way AZ should have numbers in the lotto is if their number comes up they get their original slot pick back. If it comes up twice they get whatever 1, 2, or 3 it would be the 2nd time.
May 19, 2021 at 4:13 p.m.
Quoting: Devil1122
What did they do during Vegas's draft year? I forgot

It went from 14 teams to 15 teams and Vegas had the same odds as the 3rd worst team in the lottery.
Devil liked this.
May 19, 2021 at 4:46 p.m.
torontos finest
A computer generates the number combos and someone prints that out on paper. It's not some guy sitting a room writing number combos down. The numbers change this year anyways because SEA is being added to have the same chance as the 3rd place team. This isn't some hard thing to do at a computer.

My point is that this takes longer to do than to redraw.

EDIT: They also don't air the actual lottery drawing, what we see on TV is just the final outcome. Only way Arizona fans are going to know if they lost out was if they actively seek out the actual drawing.
May 19, 2021 at 8:18 p.m.

here's your official answer: redraw
May 19, 2021 at 8:34 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Regardless of whether or not Arizona actually *wins* the lottery or not, I'll maintain that the league is making a mistake in holding the Coyotes this accountable to their crimes.

Every other instance of the League stripping a team of a pick has resulted in that team getting some other draft pick back, usually at the ass end of the round in question. I'd have personally forced the Coyotes into downgrading each of their pick by an entire round, guaranteeing them the last pick in the round, and freezing them from trading any of their picks (thus pick 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, and 224). Feel free to make that a multi-year punishment but Arizona's already a functionally useless market and stripping them of access to high-end talent from their only reliable player stream seems a bit intense.

I mean they cheated and still managed to draft an actual, criminally-known racist POS. Couldn't have done them too many favours.
A_Habs_fan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll