SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Contract Buyouts for Salary Cap Management

Should NHL Institute one time contract buyout with no Salary Cap implications
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

May 18, 2021 at 1:23 p.m.
Looks like every team has a contract that needs buying out. What are the chances the NHL will allow Contract buyouts like they did in the past.

(1) Players could be bought out for two-thirds of their remaining salary
(2) Money owed to the player had to be paid out over the remaining length of the terminated contract — unlike Ordinary-Course Buyouts (which teams can exercise each offseason) where owed money is paid out over twice the length of the contract
(3) Teams could not pay owed money in a lump sum
(4) Players could not re-sign with the original team until after the 2021-22season
(5) Compliance buyouts did not count against the team’s salary cap, nor did they count against the total player compensation for that year
May 18, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: Fergusss
Looks like every team has a contract that needs buying out. What are the chances the NHL will allow Contract buyouts like they did in the past.

(1) Players could be bought out for two-thirds of their remaining salary
(2) Money owed to the player had to be paid out over the remaining length of the terminated contract — unlike Ordinary-Course Buyouts (which teams can exercise each offseason) where owed money is paid out over twice the length of the contract
(3) Teams could not pay owed money in a lump sum
(4) Players could not re-sign with the original team until after the 2021-22season
(5) Compliance buyouts did not count against the team’s salary cap, nor did they count against the total player compensation for that year

no keep it the same way
May 18, 2021 at 2:12 p.m.
If the compliance buyouts were going to happen it would have been last offseason. If it wasn't for the upcoming SEA draft I think there would have been a better chance of it happening.

I don't see them opening the CBA again to make changes now.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 18, 2021 at 4:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
no keep it the same way

I say introduce a luxary tax

so your team can go over the cap by 5 mill but they have to pay a luxary tax

(set a limit as if any more it would need to be super luxary tax and not all teams can afford that and the ones that can would be to powerful)
May 18, 2021 at 4:11 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
I say introduce a luxary tax and a super luxary tax

if you want to go over you better be prepared to pay

Well if the NHL includes that i'd say there's no reason to have LTIR
May 18, 2021 at 4:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Well if the NHL includes that i'd say there's no reason to have LTIR

in general

LTIR is just a scapegoat for cap manipulation and deceit (in some cases)

Luxary tax allows teams to go over the cap and the league gets money out of it

I say the league makes it where teams can go over the cap by 5mill but they need to pay a luxary tax to do so.

LTIR can changed to where an independent team assesses the player and determines if his injury warrants placement on LTIR. That way no shenanigans occur

works to a degree with the NBA so why not try it (just dont employ super luxury tax lul)
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 18, 2021 at 4:15 p.m.
in general

LTIR is just a scapegoat for cap manipulation and deceit (in some cases)

Luxary tax allows teams to go over the cap and the league gets money out of it

I say the league makes it where teams can go over the cap by 5mill but they need to pay a luxary tax to do so.

LTIR can changed to where an independent team asseses the player and determines if his injury warrants placement on LTIR. That way no shenanigans occur

Well having a luxury tax would also defeat the purpose of why the created a salary cap since like before the cap, the teams that were willing to spend the most would get all the good players
May 18, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
I say introduce a luxary tax

so your team can go over the cap by 5 mill but they have to pay a luxary tax

(set a limit as if any more it would need to be super luxary tax and not all teams can afford that and the ones that can would be to powerful)

Sure just make it equal for everyone where the tax is in the form of picks not money:
Lose a 1st round pick as soon as you got over it, and then another 1st for every $1m over. Add in the Playoff teams would have to be at/under the daily cap on game days or the luxury tax kicks in. Make it painful so it's not just a new upper limit to the salary cap for the big market teams.
A_Habs_fan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit