Forums/Armchair-GM

A Few Misses In An Overall Great Offseason

Created by: Agent_Of_R9
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 18, 2021
Published: May 18, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No GM is perfect and under Kyle Dubas, the Leafs have certainly transformed into a highly rated team in the league. However, even with his great work, there have been some misses. Those include the Kadri trade, not trading Frederik Andersen and not acquiring MacKenzie Weegar.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Barrie, Tyson
1$3,750,000
Bennett, Samuel
1$2,550,000
Trades
COL
  1. Barrie, Tyson
  2. Kerfoot, Alexander
Additional Details:
*Trade Reverted
TOR
    Samuel Bennett
    2020 1st
    TOR
      *Walks In Free Agency
      TOR
      1. Strome, Dylan ($1,500,000 retained)
      CHI
      1. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
      Additional Details:
      *Deadline Acquisition
      Retained Salary Transactions
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      22$81,500,000$81,468,908$0$0$31,092

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $11,640,250$11,640,250
      C
      UFA - 4
      $10,903,000$10,903,000
      RW
      UFA - 5
      Bennett, Samuel
      $2,550,000$2,550,000
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 5
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      UFA - 4
      $1,645,000$1,645,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
      $4,500,000$4,500,000
      C
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $700,000$700,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 1
      $700,000$700,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      RW, LW
      NTC
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $5,625,000$5,625,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      Logo of the Florida Panthers
      $3,250,000$3,250,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 3
      $1,650,000$1,650,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      NMC
      UFA - 4
      $725,000$725,000
      G
      UFA - 2
      $874,125$874,125
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $894,167$894,167
      LD
      UFA - 2
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $700,000$700,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,375,000$1,375,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $700,000$700,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      $1,250,000$1,250,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 2
      $1,375,000$1,375,000
      LW, C, RW
      M-NTC, NMC
      UFA - 1
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      RD
      NTC
      UFA - 1
      Taxi Squad
      $725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      C
      UFA - 2
      $700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $1,050,000$1,050,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      LW, C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
      LD
      UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      May 18, 2021 at 2:41 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Do you guys think this skater group is strong enough to win the cup?
      May 18, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.
      Banned
      sheary over there acting like a WSH enforcer. tears of joy
      at least he stuck up for himself last game. When he played for the penguins he just left with his tail tucked between his legs.

I don't think Dubas is ever going to win a cup. He really doesn't have solutions. He patches crater size potholes with random garbage and considers the job done.
      May 18, 2021 at 2:49 p.m.
      In Zito We Trust
      Weegar wasn't going to be traded anyway, just a rumor
      May 18, 2021 at 2:53 p.m.
      The FWDs TOR has now is fine. Kardi over Kerfoot would be a huge improvement, but Kadri's time in TOR was done.

Weegar is the big add and changes the d-corps a lot. Adding a cheap Norris caliber d-man makes any team better. Just need the goalies to do their part.
      May 18, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
      Trad Breliving
      At the time, the Kadri trade was good. We got our RHD and a replacement 3C and they got a good 2C. Even though Barrie didn’t work out, Kerfoot has been solid. And even though we lost that trade it’s not that bad.

No one could’ve predicted the season Mackenzie Weegar would have. For all we know, it could be a one time thing. (hopefully not though. I like the guy)

The Freddie trade should’ve happened though, I liked it when I first heard about it. But Dubas believed in his goalie and that’s all we can really ask for from management for a team and their players.
      Faulk_my_Dzingel liked this.
      May 18, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
      Please win the cup
      It's ok, but Kadri's hot head in the playoffs crippled us.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:05 p.m.
      Hakuna Matata
      not really

Brodie has done a good job in the Dzone for us and Holl's defensive numbers have been excellent and his offensive numbers have been fine compared to many other top 4 Dman. Yes weegar would have been nice but at the cost of other important parts to the team no thank you.

the goaltending would have been pretty bad for us especially when u consider Campbell was out twice due to injury. Would not have finished first or even 2nd in the division

Bennett was a gamble that worked out for Florida but it is still to early to tell if he will have repeated success

and going with Strome over Foligno would make no sense as Foligno was brought in not to score but to provide leadership, grit, and improve the teams defense especially on the PK

as for Kadri

he had to go. He got his ass suspended twice in the playoffs costing us against boston. If he as in the 2018-2019 series who know maybe we would have won in 6.

in general this team really is not much of an improvement over the current team. The Dcore improves but everything else falters especially the forward defense.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:07 p.m.
      Smythe.over.Hart
      Coulda woulda shoulda occurs a lot. Bennet was being valued for pucks a few months ago. Weegar was borderline unheard of before this season outside of Florida. Kadri is better off in Colorado still even if the trade was lost. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Stick the course. Leafs are finally a legit contender.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:10 p.m.
      torontos finest
      alright since you tagged me, a couple things:

1) stop undoing the kadri trade. it happened. move on.
      2) Andersen wasn't going to be traded and he wasn't going to net Bennett and a 1st. It was a buyers market for goaltenders last offseason and selling him would've been risky.
      3) Weegar trade
      a) Apparently the Dermott + Johnsson thing wasn't true? Would've been an absolute goober move by Zito even if Weegar didn't have the season he did.
      b) Lijlegren wouldn't have cut it.
      4) Strome doesn't add the factor Toronto needs for the playoffs.
      Saskleaf liked this.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:24 p.m.
      Go leafs go
      Why don't you ever make future ACGMs?
      May 18, 2021 at 3:45 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Quoting: pharrow
      sheary over there acting like a WSH enforcer. tears of joy
      at least he stuck up for himself last game. When he played for the penguins he just left with his tail tucked between his legs.

I don't think Dubas is ever going to win a cup. He really doesn't have solutions. He patches crater size potholes with random garbage and considers the job done.

🤣 One thing that you were wrong about is Taylor Hall being finished. He has been throwing hits, recovering dump ins & driving to the net after joining Boston. That’s what you like to see.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:45 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Quoting: VijayPatel11
      Weegar wasn't going to be traded anyway, just a rumor

Yeah no kidding Weegar is a huge upgrade over Holl.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:48 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Quoting: ZachHymanForTheHart
      At the time, the Kadri trade was good. We got our RHD and a replacement 3C and they got a good 2C. Even though Barrie didn’t work out, Kerfoot has been solid. And even though we lost that trade it’s not that bad.

No one could’ve predicted the season Mackenzie Weegar would have. For all we know, it could be a one time thing. (hopefully not though. I like the guy)

The Freddie trade should’ve happened though, I liked it when I first heard about it. But Dubas believed in his goalie and that’s all we can really ask for from management for a team and their players.

Yes I agree the Kadri trade looked good when it first happened. But man, it really hasn’t worked out at all. Kerfoot was great last season but stinks now. Just hasn’t fit in the 3C role that they want him to play.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:49 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Quoting: faulkmydzingel
      Coulda woulda shoulda occurs a lot. Bennet was being valued for pucks a few months ago. Weegar was borderline unheard of before this season outside of Florida. Kadri is better off in Colorado still even if the trade was lost. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Stick the course. Leafs are finally a legit contender.

IDK if the Leafs are legit contenders, they have a bad 3C in Kerfoot & there’s no guarantee Holl will be good enough in the role that he plays.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:50 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Quoting: aadoyle
      not really

Brodie has done a good job in the Dzone for us and Holl's defensive numbers have been excellent and his offensive numbers have been fine compared to many other top 4 Dman. Yes weegar would have been nice but at the cost of other important parts to the team no thank you.

the goaltending would have been pretty bad for us especially when u consider Campbell was out twice due to injury. Would not have finished first or even 2nd in the division

Bennett was a gamble that worked out for Florida but it is still to early to tell if he will have repeated success

and going with Strome over Foligno would make no sense as Foligno was brought in not to score but to provide leadership, grit, and improve the teams defense especially on the PK

as for Kadri

he had to go. He got his ass suspended twice in the playoffs costing us against boston. If he as in the 2018-2019 series who know maybe we would have won in 6.

in general this team really is not much of an improvement over the current team. The Dcore improves but everything else falters especially the forward defense.

Quoting: mondo
      alright since you tagged me, a couple things:

1) stop undoing the kadri trade. it happened. move on.
      2) Andersen wasn't going to be traded and he wasn't going to net Bennett and a 1st. It was a buyers market for goaltenders last offseason and selling him would've been risky.
      3) Weegar trade
      a) Apparently the Dermott + Johnsson thing wasn't true? Would've been an absolute goober move by Zito even if Weegar didn't have the season he did.
      b) Lijlegren wouldn't have cut it.
      4) Strome doesn't add the factor Toronto needs for the playoffs.

Fair feedback. I went for Strome over Foligno mostly cuz he would’ve cost less assets, plus with Bennett, Hyman, Kadri, Thornton & Simmons on my roster, I felt they already had plenty of grit.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
      Trad Breliving
      Quoting: Penguins_Legend_Sheary
      Yes I agree the Kadri trade looked good when it first happened. But man, it really hasn’t worked out at all. Kerfoot was great last season but stinks now. Just hasn’t fit in the 3C role that they want him to play.

Kerfoot isn’t bad.
      May 18, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
      I don't think you were going to get Strome retained for a 2nd, at least, not at this deadline. Maybe they think about trading his rights over the summer, but I would imagine if they cant get a 1st for him they use him as expansion bait for taking a contract off the books.
      May 18, 2021 at 4:19 p.m.
      Banned
      🤣 One thing that you were wrong about is Taylor Hall being finished. He has been throwing hits, recovering dump ins & driving to the net after joining Boston. That’s what you like to see.

Dude that knee is shot. We know it's shot, it was reported as bone on bone. You don't fix that. He's playing now hoping to cash out. No way I'd touch that contract though. They can shoot that knee up so you don't feel a damn thing for hours. That don't mean his knee ain't bum.
      May 18, 2021 at 4:48 p.m.
      NoWah49
      honestly yeah. this team looks great
      May 18, 2021 at 4:50 p.m.
      Smythe.over.Hart
      IDK if the Leafs are legit contenders, they have a bad 3C in Kerfoot & there’s no guarantee Holl will be good enough in the role that he plays.

Kerfoot is playing LW for us now. Nash is playing 3C. Kerfoot is also responsible in his own end while playing C. If your concern is like many others who think the Center just takes faceoffs, the Leafs have assembled a team that has multiple players per line to take draws depending on strong and weak side. They also have Tavares and Spezza who are outstanding on the draw regardless of strong or weak side.

They also have an amazing roster of players who can play the C position. Matthews, Tavares, Nash, Kerfoot, Spezza, Thornton, Foligno, hell even Hyman played C in college.

I don't understand your point about Holl whatsoever??? There's no guarantee any player will play good. What if Crosby sucks for Pittsburgh this post season? What if Weegar plays awful for Florida? What if McDavid gets struck by lightning?
      May 18, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Quoting: ZachHymanForTheHart
      Kerfoot isn’t bad.

He was good at LW with Tavares & Nylander but wasn’t suitable for the 3C role.
      May 18, 2021 at 6:33 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Quoting: faulkmydzingel
      Kerfoot is playing LW for us now. Nash is playing 3C. Kerfoot is also responsible in his own end while playing C. If your concern is like many others who think the Center just takes faceoffs, the Leafs have assembled a team that has multiple players per line to take draws depending on strong and weak side. They also have Tavares and Spezza who are outstanding on the draw regardless of strong or weak side.

They also have an amazing roster of players who can play the C position. Matthews, Tavares, Nash, Kerfoot, Spezza, Thornton, Foligno, hell even Hyman played C in college.

I don't understand your point about Holl whatsoever??? There's no guarantee any player will play good. What if Crosby sucks for Pittsburgh this post season? What if Weegar plays awful for Florida? What if McDavid gets struck by lightning?

No I’m not concerned about faceoff percentage. I just don’t think Kerfoot has the skill level to play as the matchup center against other teams’ top players, or a in matchup role in general. He isn’t particularly intelligent when it comes to predicting how the opponent will execute a play. Plus his lack of size causes him to easily get outmuscled.

The only role he did well in was LW with Tavares & Nylander.
      May 19, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
      Marner Enthusiast
      Quoting: pharrow
      Dude that knee is shot. We know it's shot, it was reported as bone on bone. You don't fix that. He's playing now hoping to cash out. No way I'd touch that contract though. They can shoot that knee up so you don't feel a damn thing for hours. That don't mean his knee ain't bum.

Damn I didn’t know his knee was that bad. Looking at the stats, his chance creation & forechecking results are pretty much in line with his prime years. But I can see why he wants to cash in on a long term deal now.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll