Forums/Armchair-GM

Philly Offseason

Created by: NoVaSpartan
Team: 2021-22 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: May 19, 2021
Published: May 19, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trying a go at Philly, but as a fan of a division rival I expect this team to look terrible when im done

FA Explanations:
Hart on a 2 x 2 since he had a bad year and it gives the flyers some options in case he continues to play poorly.
Hamilton: Can step in and be a #1 defenseman from day 1, and can compliment Provorov.
Hoffman: Goal scoring winger that keeps Aube-Kubel from playing on the 2nd Line.
Gusev: 1 year deal to see if he works, if he doesn't the flyers move on in the next offseason.
Dreidger: Given he doesn't go to Seattle, he can be a safety option and good backup in case Hart continues to struggle.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$925,000
2$925,000
1$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$7,000,000
3$4,500,000
1$1,000,000
2$2,000,000
Trades
PHI
    Expansion Draft
    SEA
    1. Voracek, Jakub
    2. 2022 2nd round pick (PHI)
    BUF
    1. Gostisbehere, Shayne
    2. Sanheim, Travis [RFA Rights]
    3. van Riemsdyk, James
    4. York, Cam
    5. 2021 1st round pick (PHI)
    Additional Details:
    Honestly I don't think this is a good trade, but it's fun to think about
    PHI
    1. Kahun, Dominik [RFA Rights]
    2. 2022 3rd round pick (EDM)
    Additional Details:
    Not sure what Patrick's trade value is, but if RNH is gone the oilers might take a chance at a trade
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$67,112,262$0$1,045,000$14,387,738
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $4,137,500$4,137,500
    RW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $3,571,429$3,571,429
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $4,333,333$4,333,333
    C
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 5
    $863,333$863,333
    C
    RFA - 1
    $1,075,000$1,075,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 7
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,550,000$2,550,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    RFA - 3
    $756,667$756,667 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    Taxi Squad
    $925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    C
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0)
    LW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 19, 2021 at 10:14 a.m.
    Philly would need to add a better piece in the Eichel trade. Ghost was on waivers hes not worth much, JVR is expensive and is basically for cap so the only valuable pieces are Sanheim and York. They do not need 3 d men coming back in a trade. Theyll want Farabee or Konecny
    May 19, 2021 at 10:38 a.m.
    Quoting: Mwasylko34
    Philly would need to add a better piece in the Eichel trade. Ghost was on waivers hes not worth much, JVR is expensive and is basically for cap so the only valuable pieces are Sanheim and York. They do not need 3 d men coming back in a trade. Theyll want Farabee or Konecny

Better pieces* Not piece

That is horrible. A waived player along with JVR, that's a lot of cap space we we wouldn't want on our books.
    May 19, 2021 at 10:51 a.m.
    I think the best bet for Philly to land Eichel would be more of a hockey trade around Eichel for Couturier with the Flyers throwing in more value.
    I've been muddling Eichel and Risto for Couturier and Provorov over in my mind but the hatred Risto gets on this site makes it a suggestion I'm scared to ever post lol
    May 19, 2021 at 11:13 a.m.
    BUF says no
    May 19, 2021 at 12:19 p.m.
    Simpleton
    Edmonton has some experience with high-end prospects that simply do not meet their anticipated potential. Although the contributing factors are quite different, Nolan Patrick's situation reminds me of the Yakupov dilemma. To be clear, I'm not comparing the players, just the challenge that teams deal with if they decide to move on from a highly touted prospect/player who has drastically underperformed. Of course the fundamental difference is that Patrick's issues have been health related, whereas Yakupov's challenges were almost entirely performance related. Regardless, as with Yakupov, the question regarding Patrick is whether his situation can be turned around and his career salvaged.

Patrick had a reasonably good year, in terms of his health. That's a good sign. However his stats were abysmal, so that raises another concern (one that draws a much closer comparison to Yak). Holland missed out on 2nd and 3rd round picks during the 2020 draft, and it appears he is going without 2nd and 3rd round picks in the 2021 draft as well. Its difficult to imagine he will gamble his 2022 2nd round pick on Patrick. He might take a flier, if Philly accepts a lower return, but that seems out of character.
    CD282 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
    May 19, 2021 at 12:36 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: uphere
    Edmonton has some experience with high-end prospects that simply do not meet their anticipated potential. Although the contributing factors are quite different, Nolan Patrick's situation reminds me of the Yakupov dilemma. To be clear, I'm not comparing the players, just the challenge that teams deal with if they decide to move on from a highly touted prospect/player who has drastically underperformed. Of course the fundamental difference is that Patrick's issues have been health related, whereas Yakupov's challenges were almost entirely performance related. Regardless, as with Yakupov, the question regarding Patrick is whether his situation can be turned around and his career salvaged.

Patrick had a reasonably good year, in terms of his health. That's a good sign. However his stats were abysmal, so that raises another concern (one that draws a much closer comparison to Yak). Holland missed out on 2nd and 3rd round picks during the 2020 draft, and it appears he is going without 2nd and 3rd round picks in the 2021 draft as well. Its difficult to imagine he will gamble his 2022 2nd round pick on Patrick. He might take a flier, if Philly accepts a lower return, but that seems out of character.

Really good analysis here (really want to point out Yakupov's demise was strictly on Eakins, but I digress) especially when it comes down to draft capital. However it must be noted that the 2022 2nd round pick, despite its value, should be a piece Holland is eager to move. The player that pick turns into is 3 years out from an NHL role the day the Oilers management crosses the stage and calls out a name. Possibly 4 years given that all expectations dictate that Edmonton's draft picks should be late in the respective round. My expectation is at a certain point, Holland will look to move his late first - annually - for a pair of second-round picks a la Dubas as the majority of the high-end pieces are nigh-permanent on the roster and at that point the trick is quantity in order to sustain the complementary pieces.

Patrick in my eyes still has enough of a ceiling that if he can be a long-term #3C with special teams utility, Edmonton should trip over themselves to acquire him. I covet right-handed centermen, the upper management has an almost unhealthy obsession with big kids from western Canada, he'd fit the role to a tee while providing extreme value, and allow McLeod to either transition to the wing or be the league's best #4C.

Even if RNH doesn't leave this is a trade I'd make. Losing Kahun is small potatoes and Patrick is more of a winning factor today than next year's draft pick is.
    NoVaSpartan liked this.
    May 19, 2021 at 12:38 p.m.

Kahun for Patrick straight up? I think Edmonton would be interested in that.
    May 19, 2021 at 12:44 p.m.
    Quoting: BeterChiarelli
    Really good analysis here (really want to point out Yakupov's demise was strictly on Eakins, but I digress) especially when it comes down to draft capital. However it must be noted that the 2022 2nd round pick, despite its value, should be a piece Holland is eager to move. The player that pick turns into is 3 years out from an NHL role the day the Oilers management crosses the stage and calls out a name. Possibly 4 years given that all expectations dictate that Edmonton's draft picks should be late in the respective round. My expectation is at a certain point, Holland will look to move his late first - annually - for a pair of second-round picks a la Dubas as the majority of the high-end pieces are nigh-permanent on the roster and at that point the trick is quantity in order to sustain the complementary pieces.

Patrick in my eyes still has enough of a ceiling that if he can be a long-term #3C with special teams utility, Edmonton should trip over themselves to acquire him. I covet right-handed centermen, the upper management has an almost unhealthy obsession with big kids from western Canada, he'd fit the role to a tee while providing extreme value, and allow McLeod to either transition to the wing or be the league's best #4C.

Even if RNH doesn't leave this is a trade I'd make. Losing Kahun is small potatoes and Patrick is more of a winning factor today than next year's draft pick is.

Only if he hits his ceiling. He was really, really bad this year. He got his ass handed to him all season long despite favorable zone starts, matchups, etc. They eventually resorted to playing him on the wing.

http://naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=r&team=PHI&pos=C&loc=B&toi=300&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

http://puckiq.com/woodmoney?season=20202021&tier=Elite&positions=c&team=phi&group_by=player_season_team&sort=ctoipct&sort_direction=desc
    May 19, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: CD282
    Only if he hits his ceiling. He was really, really bad this year. He got his ass handed to him all season long despite favorable zone starts, matchups, etc. They eventually resorted to playing him on the wing.

http://naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20202021&thruseason=20202021&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=r&team=PHI&pos=C&loc=B&toi=300&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

http://puckiq.com/woodmoney?season=20202021&tier=Elite&positions=c&team=phi&group_by=player_season_team&sort=ctoipct&sort_direction=desc

I'm aware of the numbers and yeah, admittedly it's purely a gamble on his ceiling. Between the migraines, his status as a former top pick, and his lack of NHL results, I really think he's simply managed to get in his own head. A change of scenery where the names in front of him take the majority of the focus away from him - nevermind that it's close to home - likely does his game wonders. Curious to see what exposure to Gretzky, who went through an identical injury as a youngster, does for him too.

Strange to think of Edmonton as a positive environment these days for this kind of player, but it's becoming a reality.
    NoVaSpartan liked this.
    May 19, 2021 at 12:59 p.m.
    Craig Laughlin Fan

Kahun for Patrick straight up? I think Edmonton would be interested in that.

Thanks for the feedback. Looking at this, i think it is more fair for me to change it to the original trade I thought about before I made it a 2nd round pick, and instead have it be Kahun and a 3rd for Patrick.
    CD282 and BeterChiarelli liked this.
    May 19, 2021 at 1:05 p.m.
    Sabres fan
    Just put Patrick in the Eichel trade. Buffalo has the room to give him a chance, and he fills a role for them. I see him where Casey Mittelstadt was about a year ago. He may not be a top sex center, but he can also be a right wing. Buffalo could use that.
    May 19, 2021 at 1:09 p.m.
    Craig Laughlin Fan
    Quoting: Tjm220
    Just put Patrick in the Eichel trade. Buffalo has the room to give him a chance, and he fills a role for them. I see him where Casey Mittelstadt was about a year ago. He may not be a top sex center, but he can also be a right wing. Buffalo could use that.

If i were to do another gm with Philly, I think I would remove Ghost from the Eichel trade, and Put in Frost instead, Since he has good upside, though I get the concern about his injury. Then probably trade Ghost and a Pick to a team like Seattle or Detroit, to alleviate cap.
    May 19, 2021 at 1:25 p.m.
    Simpleton

The Oilers have quite a few depth players coming off the books this summer, Seattle will scoop one of their contracts, a buy out of Neal or Koskinen is a possibility, and there are some nice assets in their prospect pool (most of whom were acquired by Chiarelli) that represent good trade value. I don't think Holland wants, or needs, to trade away more draft picks to improve his club. He's has often mentioned the need to balance today's needs with tomorrow's.
    May 19, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    Quoting: NoVaSpartan
    Thanks for the feedback. Looking at this, i think it is more fair for me to change it to the original trade I thought about before I made it a 2nd round pick, and instead have it be Kahun and a 3rd for Patrick.

I can't help but look at the Lias Andersson trade and think that Flyers fans en masse would be completely crushed by the return of only Kahun and a third.

Patrick and a 4th for Kahun and a 2nd maintains the optics and sees the Oilers getting a bit more for their dollar than had it been just the two players and the second rounder.
    May 19, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
    Ban Price trades
    The Oilers have quite a few depth players coming off the books this summer, Seattle will scoop one of their contracts, a buy out of Neal or Koskinen is a possibility, and there are some nice assets in their prospect pool (most of whom were acquired by Chiarelli) that represent good trade value. I don't think Holland wants, or needs, to trade away more draft picks to improve his club. He's has often mentioned the need to balance today's needs with tomorrow's.

There's a stark difference between trading a pick for a rental and trading a pick for a player you could realistically pull a decade of term out of. Holland's been very willing to move picks for pieces with term and was even shopping this year's first in such a deal but nothing came up.
    May 19, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
    Simpleton
    Quoting: NoVaSpartan

Honestly, Ryan McLeod's performance toward the end of this past season should put to rest many of the concerns Oiler fans have with the 3C. McLeod is not right-handed, but he's big, a great skater, has good hands, he's smart with and without the puck, and his FO% is 53% in the ten NHL games he's played so far. He was not sheltered, and seemed to fit right in. His emergence will be a factor that influences how Holland deals with upgrades in forward depth and I wonder whether it renders an acquisition like Patrick unnecessary for the Oilers. McLeod will have ups and downs, but there may be more benefit to Edmonton, both immediately and in the future, by bringing in a couple of solid wings who can play alongside him and move up the roster if required. At the very least, that possibility has to be considered, and the conclusion of that deliberation has to impact the price Holland would be willing to pay for a player like Nolan Patrick.

The way I see it, Kahun and a conditional 3rd is the absolute ceiling for Patrick, and only if Holland can't improve his bottom six through free agency and from within. I am sure others will disagree with me.
    May 19, 2021 at 2:51 p.m.
    Simpleton
    There's a stark difference between trading a pick for a rental and trading a pick for a player you could realistically pull a decade of term out of. Holland's been very willing to move picks for pieces with term and was even shopping this year's first in such a deal but nothing came up.

The issue at hand is whether Ken Holland should trade Dominik Kahun RFA rights and his 2022 2nd round draft pick for Patrick Nolan, not whether Holland should hang onto his draft pick.

There is a price point at which everything is for sale, and I don't think the proposal meets that threshold. At the moment, I have no issue moving on from Kahun. That might change if he lights it up in the playoffs. I think there are too many risks associated with Patrick, and that he currently offers only a right-handed draw and draft pedigree. I hope, for the young man's sake, that his lot improves, but as ths situation is now I believe the 2nd-round pick is a bit rich.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll