SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Regular season award predictions

May 19, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
Edited May 19, 2021 at 3:14 p.m.
Post your regular season award winners, with honorable mentions and a blurb about your choices if you wish

Hart -
Winner: Connor McDavid
Runner up: Sidney Crosby
Reason: You're attempting to be an edgelord if you nominate anyone other than McDavid for the Hart. I normally downplay his Hart considerations given his linemates, but his point totals this year are too absolutely ridiculous to ignore. Plus, he did play majority of the year without Drysaddle, and had a considerable amount more points than him, where normally they are pretty close. I give the runner up to Crosby for carrying the team to the #1 spot despite all the injuries and whatnot, in arguably the toughest division to win

Ted Lindsay -
Winner: Connor McDavid
Runner up: Auston Matthews
Reason: Leading the league in points and goals by the margins these two players did is remarkable. I'd love to get Patrick Kane up there, but 41 goals in 56 games is just ridiculous

Vezina -
Winner: Marc-Andre Fleury
Runner up: Semyon Varlamov
Reason: One can probably argue that VGK's division was quite easier than NYI's division, but with near identical numbers and games started, I just have to go with the 36 year old here. Fleury had an unbelievable season after uncertainty if he will be the #1. Varly had an equally impressive season, but I just have to go with age here.

Norris -
Winner: Adam Fox
Runner up: Victor Hedman
Reason: Adam Fox was the #1 defensemen in all situations for NYR this year, and excelled incredibly so at this, at such a young age. He was 2nd in points (1 behind Tyson Barrie), 1st in assists, and averaged 2:36 PK TOI and 3:45 PP TOI per game. He didn't garner Norris attention until his 12 game point streak, but what you won't see on the score sheet was his advancements in the defensive zone all year long. He's certainly made his case to be considered in the top 5 defensemen in the league right now, and had the best season of all of them this year

Selke -
Winner: Mark Stone
Runner up: Sidney Crosby
Reason: I feel like this is a bit of a difficult award to argue, as there's not a whole lot of paper to go by (I'm personally not a fan of advanced stats and don't use them, anyway). But for the games I watched this year, these two certainly stood out as the best defensive forwards in the game to my eye. I'm also kind of going by what I see others say here, that maybe watch more games of these two teams, etc. I admit slight ignorance on this one. I also did go by the takeaway/takeaway per 60 stats on NHL . com, in which (in relevant games played parameters) Mark Stone leads, and Crosby is in the top 10.

Calder -
Winner: Jason Robertson
Runner up: Kirill Kaprisov
Reason: Despite having the impressive lead in points for majority of the season, Robertson had a strong run toward the end. I think him being 3 years younger and never having played in a professional league (Kirill had several years in the KHL) is a lot more impressive than the 6 point lead Kirill had.

Masterton -
Winner: Oskar Lindblom
Runner up: Oskar Lindblom
Reason: Self-explanatory

Jack Adams -
Winner: Dead Evason
Runner up: Joel Quenneville
Reason: I think it's a crime to the integrity of the league that Evason seems to be missing in most people's Jack Adams lists? Do we not see this roster!? This should not be a playoff team, let alone a team that is giving VGK a run for their money. Sure, their division is fairly weak, but finishing above STL by 12 points is nothing to scoff at, in addition to ARI arguably having a better roster on paper. Coach Q turning FLA into a legitimate contender is also very impressive, including leading the league in points at times throughout the season. One can argue his roster is strong on paper, sure, but after a couple of disappointing seasons, being able to turn them into a strong squad on the ice certainly deserves recognition. Still, this award should absolutely be Evason's, and it's really not a remote contest. I'm sure the NHL will somehow find a way to give it to Cassidy or Cooper, though...

Jim Gregory -
Winner: Joe Sakic
Runner up: Kyle Dubas
Reason: These two managed to make two strong teams even stronger, while frequently skating along the lines of the salary cap. Whether it's winning trades or making good depth signings, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these. I'd love to get Burgervan here, but his firing of Julien takes him out of the running in my eyes. He did amazing work on the roster, and it's maybe not his complete fault it didn't translate on the ice too well, but firing the coach for little reason does not seem to have gone well for the team and takes him off. I give the edge to Sakic, who doesn't have the advantage of "hometown discounts" and the like. Sakic also made more meaningful trades, I think
May 19, 2021 at 4:38 p.m.
How does Evason win the Adams and Kaprizov not win the Calder? Kaprizov is 100% the reason MN was in the position it's in. He lead the Wild in goals by 7 and points by 11, 2nd on the team in assists, and he did all that without playing with a center.

MAF (part of the Jennings winning tandem) had a very good year, but I don't think he's was the best goalie in the regular season. Saros is the only reason NSH is in the Playoffs, and my pick.
May 19, 2021 at 4:54 p.m.
Kaprizov wins Calder, Hedman Norris, also where's Vasy for the Vezina he either wins it or is Runner-up
May 19, 2021 at 7:10 p.m.
torontos finest
Did a whole thing about a month ago:

Hart: McDavid. No brainer.
Byng: Matthews. I am 100% biased.
Selke: Barkov. Centres usually take priority in this over wingers. See: Hossa,
Norris: S. Theodore. Hedman is winning anyways but I feel Shea is an underrated key piece on the Golden Knights.
Calder: Robertson. I have gripes about the award and guys like Panarin and soon to be Kaprizov winning it - but it's entirely within the rules and changing them would mean giving the KHL a level of priority that the NHL probably doesn't want to give them.
Vezina: Vasilevskiy. He had a 0.003 lower save percentage than Fleury but a much higher GAA, which tells me he was performing better with an inferior blueline. Highest High Danger GSAA in the league too. It would be nice for Fleury to win a Vezina but Vasilevskiy deserves it much more.
Adams: Quennville. Evason is a close second.
Gregory: Sakic. Think Zito deserves some credit for his strides in Florida but Sakic's primarily built the Avs through trades and drafting which isn't as simple as signing players.
Masterson: Lindblom. Coming back from cancer usually wins.
mvp13 liked this.
May 19, 2021 at 8:55 p.m.
Quoting: wabit
How does Evason win the Adams and Kaprizov not win the Calder? Kaprizov is 100% the reason MN was in the position it's in. He lead the Wild in goals by 7 and points by 11, 2nd on the team in assists, and he did all that without playing with a center.

MAF (part of the Jennings winning tandem) had a very good year, but I don't think he's was the best goalie in the regular season. Saros is the only reason NSH is in the Playoffs, and my pick.

Well, I didn't make this thread to argue with people. I wanted to see what others thought. But, if we must...

I don't understand the Jennings tandem point? MAF and Sarros played the same amount of games (actually, MAF started in more games than Sarros, by one, but I can be petty too grin), yet MAF had quite better stats? MAF is way more the reason VGK has the Jennings, than Lehner. In addition, Sarros had an amazing two month run to end the season... but these awards are for a full season. We'll remember when Dubnyk was traded to MIN in February or whatever, of whatever year, and he played ridiculous and dragged MIN into the playoffs, but didn't get the Vezina. These awards are for a full season. Sarros wasn't good enough the entire year to knock Varlamov out of the runner up spot, let alone Fleury at all

Kaprizov is definitely not the "only" reason... I explained why Robertson gets the Calder over Kaprizov. I get it, the NHL will default to 6 more points, because that's a whole hell of a lot... but, I'm giving it to the guy that was neck and neck with him, yet younger and never played in a major league before. In addition to that, how do you know Evason's coaching style didn't help Kaprizov do what he did? One forward is never going to drag a team into the playoffs (see the years McDavid lead the league in scoring, yet missed the playoffs). MIN gets in for way more reasons than Kaprizov's 50 points. That was a solid team effort, and it's on Evason
May 20, 2021 at 6:49 a.m.
Quoting: mvp13
Well, I didn't make this thread to argue with people. I wanted to see what others thought. But, if we must...

I don't understand the Jennings tandem point? MAF and Sarros played the same amount of games (actually, MAF started in more games than Sarros, by one, but I can be petty too grin), yet MAF had quite better stats? MAF is way more the reason VGK has the Jennings, than Lehner. In addition, Sarros had an amazing two month run to end the season... but these awards are for a full season. We'll remember when Dubnyk was traded to MIN in February or whatever, of whatever year, and he played ridiculous and dragged MIN into the playoffs, but didn't get the Vezina. These awards are for a full season. Sarros wasn't good enough the entire year to knock Varlamov out of the runner up spot, let alone Fleury at all

Kaprizov is definitely not the "only" reason... I explained why Robertson gets the Calder over Kaprizov. I get it, the NHL will default to 6 more points, because that's a whole hell of a lot... but, I'm giving it to the guy that was neck and neck with him, yet younger and never played in a major league before. In addition to that, how do you know Evason's coaching style didn't help Kaprizov do what he did? One forward is never going to drag a team into the playoffs (see the years McDavid lead the league in scoring, yet missed the playoffs). MIN gets in for way more reasons than Kaprizov's 50 points. That was a solid team effort, and it's on Evason

MAF and Saros are very close in stats. Vegas is a much better team and played in an easier Division. That is why I picked Saros. If we're going by just stats Varlamov was better than both of them.

MN's record when Kaprizov didn't get a point: 5-13-3 (.310 p%), MN's record when Kaprizov got a point: 30-3-2 (.886 p%). That's not coaching that is the player.

The MN coaches can't make a functional PP. They even gave up trying at one point and ran regular lines out there for a few games. They finally settled on Kaprizov and Fiala go do stuff the rest of you don't trip over your skates.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll