Forums/Armchair-GM

My take on getting younger

Created by: brady_t12
Team: 2021-22 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: May 24, 2021
Published: May 24, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Okay, I've done a lot of thinking and a lot of talking with fans of other teams. As well, I've spent time scouting AGM posts by other teams' fans to see how other teams value certain players. I would like to think I've come up with a plan that makes sense for the Caps if they choose to start a youth movement. This isn't necessarily a rebuild, but it is quite a hefty retool.

OUT: Oshie, Schultz, Wilson, Kuznetsov, Dillon

IN: Amriov, Fehervary, McMichael, Patrick, Alexyev

-----------------------------------

Toronto Trade:

Wilson is on a great contract and fills a very specific role that few players in the league could: He is a top 6 winger who regularly will pot 50+ points in the regular season and contributes in the playoffs (when the rest of the team isn't being hot garbage), but also plays a vital role on the PP and PK. Regardless of the hate he gets, he is a hot commodity that 31 other GMs want on their team. He's from Toronto, so he'll be happy to play there. Toronto might be losing Hyman to free agency, or they will have to pay more than what Wilson is making to keep him.

Sending him plus Johansen (who really is just a thrown in for this deal) opens up cap space and injects much needed youth into our middle 6. Amirov is highly touted and on an ELC for 3 more years. He will be a mainstay on this team for the long term.

----------------------------------------

Montreal Trade:

Before everyone screams about Kuzy and his off ice issues, let's think about this factually. Montreal is likely to lose Danault, arguably their best (no. 2 at worst) center, to free agency. Montreal is a team that continues to make noise in the postseason despite slight struggles in the regular season. Kuznetsov could provide stability at 1C with Suzuki right behind him. Kuzy has a history of playing well with big bodies, such as Wilson. Pair him up with Anderson on the first line and those guys might light it up. Your center core is now Kuzy-Suzuki-Kotkaniemi. Nice.

For the caps, we are getting back Byron who helps even out the cap exchange, Brook who is a RHD prospect that we desperately need, and a first round pick. Montreal has a very good RHD core (Weber Petry Romanov), so Brook won't get a look for a while even though he may be ready. They also have plenty of depth scoring, including Caufield who has emerged to be a threat in the top 9. This trade is a no brainer for me, but I see the hesitancy on the caps side. I think this fills big needs for both teams.

I would personally look to flip Byron after making this deal. He's a playoff performer and will get some attention from teams looking to bolster the third line with clutch scoring.

----------------------------------------

Philadelphia Trade:

I've seen some mixed ideas of what Patrick's value is. I would like to see if he can ignite something in Washington. He's young, physical, and has shown flashes of being a 2nd overall pick, but has dealt with awful health issues. He played 52 games and put up 9 points. This may be a Sam Bennett-like situation where the player needs a change of scenery to be what he was supposed to be. I'm willing to take a chance on him at the cost of Leason, who is a young forward looking to play a bottom 6 role next season, and a second rounder. I'd see arguments for either side to be for or against this trade.

---------------------------------------

Expansion pick:

I'll keep this brief. Oshie needs to go. He has been fantastic for the caps since we got him, but it's time for a youth movement. This has nothing to do with him or his contract. We need to hold onto Vanecek and Samsonov, and Oshie to Seattle is the most logical way we hold onto that tandem.

-----------------------------------------

Carolina Trade:

Again, doesn't have to be to this team, but I think Schultz makes sense there. They may lose Hamilton to free agency and could use a cheap replacement RHD who can play the power play. Also has cup winning experience from his time with Pittsburgh. I'm willing to take less value for Schultz, but I feel this is fair.

--------------------------------------

Florida Trade:

Flipping Byron, as I mentioned before. He would fit in on the third line here potentially, but I think it's better that we flip him for draft capital. We can afford to eat half of that salary for two years while we get the young guys in the lineup. This doesn't have to be to Florida, but maybe they're interested for such a cheap price?

--------------------------------------

San Jose Trade:

This doesn't have to happen, but I'd rather Dillon be off the roster so that Laviolette isn't tempted to play him over Fehervary. Otherwise I'd let him sit in the press box as we won't need the cap space.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$875,000
3$875,000
3$875,000
3$875,000
3$875,000
3$875,000
3$875,000
3$875,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,000,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
2$800,000
3$2,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$10,000,000
2$800,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Amirov, Rodion
  2. 2022 1st round pick (TOR)
WSH
  1. Brook, Josh
  2. Byron, Paul
  3. 2021 1st round pick (MTL)
WSH
  1. 2021 3rd round pick (CAR)
  2. 2022 6th round pick (ANA)
CAR
  1. Schultz, Justin ($2,000,000 retained)
WSH
  1. 2021 4th round pick (FLA)
  2. 2022 3rd round pick (FLA)
FLA
  1. Byron, Paul ($1,700,000 retained)
WSH
  1. Patrick, Nolan [RFA Rights]
PHI
  1. Leason, Brett
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (WSH)
WSH
  1. 2021 4th round pick (TOR)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$62,347,927$472,927$132,500$19,152,073
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$10,000,000$10,000,000
LW
UFA - 5
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LW, C
RFA - 3
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$791,667$791,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$716,667$716,667
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 24, 2021 at 2:28 a.m.
You overlook 1 major flaw in the Montreal trade (aside from Kuzy's off ice issues). Romanov is a LHD not a RHD and Montreal coaching has said they prefer to use him on his natural side. He often gets used on the right because Montreal is as thin at RHD as Washington is. Literally our only RHD in our entire organization are Petry, Weber (who both have maybe 5 years left at best) Brook, Fleury and Hendrickson (Hendrickson likely never makes the NHL). So out of 90 players organization wide we have 2 aging and 2 very young RHD. Yet you propose us to give up our best young RHD.
May 24, 2021 at 3:25 a.m.
Pocket Aces
man the caps offseason certainly fascinates me itll be so interesting to see what they do huge shake up cause ya too old and slow right now
May 24, 2021 at 7:22 a.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Campabee
You overlook 1 major flaw in the Montreal trade (aside from Kuzy's off ice issues). Romanov is a LHD not a RHD and Montreal coaching has said they prefer to use him on his natural side. He often gets used on the right because Montreal is as thin at RHD as Washington is. Literally our only RHD in our entire organization are Petry, Weber (who both have maybe 5 years left at best) Brook, Fleury and Hendrickson (Hendrickson likely never makes the NHL). So out of 90 players organization wide we have 2 aging and 2 very young RHD. Yet you propose us to give up our best young RHD.

You overlook weeks of conversations, mostly among Habs fans, about what they would like to offer for Kuznetsov.

As another Caps fan following this conversation, this is not a Caps fan proposal. Just a quote of a MTL fan post, based on a comment they made in a conversation, as part of a series of MTL posts bargaining down after another MTL fan suggested Kotkaniemi and MTL's 2021 1st. Like it says in the description, Brady has been asking around and following posts about Caps players. Read this one back on the MTL side? It keeps coming up.

Here's one recent post that offers the above (WSH giving Kuznetsov and taking Byron, MTL giving Brook and a 1st) and throws in a 2nd to take Drouin: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2404379 Not sure if that's fair or not, but WSH would need to clear more cap space in another move to make it work, unless Seattle takes Drouin.

Here's a variation with a 1st, two 2nds, Norlinder, and Poehling for Kuznetsov and Jensen: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2402440 if MTL is adding a top center, that makes it harder for Poehling to make the team next year, so by your logic of keeping depth at all positions, and needing RD, maybe that's a better idea? WSH currently has one AHL RHD: Paul Ladue. He's 28 and his contract is expiring, but they called him up for playoff depth so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring him back.

Here's a Habs fan posting the above trade plus a MTL 4th: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2401469

A Habs fan offered Drouin and a 1st for Kuznetsov. There's an Oilers fan in the comments who thinks the Caps should take Drouin for Kuznetsov straight up, but it's not clear whether he is Peter Chiarelli or the last surviving anti-Peter-Chiarelli troll account: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2399681 Either way, the idea does not help the Caps' depth chart unless Drouin can play #2C and occasionally score 70 points a year there. It would still be a little light. Is there a center the Caps could get for Drouin, somewhere in the league? They have pretty good NHL wings. (as an aside, here's a Drouin to WSH trade that includes a center and takes away a wing from WSH, without taking away from WSH's weak center depth. Not sure it gets any interest unless MTL sweetens it even more, but it seems more realistic than Drouin for Kuznetsov: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2388223)

Here's a Devils fan reposting Kuznetsov for Kotkaniemi and a 1st. I said in the comments the Caps should keep Kuznetsov, but after another quick first round exit, I'm beginning to see the reasoning behind getting younger. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2383142

Here's a Habs fan posting Drouin Kotkaniemi and a 1st for Kuznetsov and Lapierre. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2382077 Another Habs fan commented that isn't enough for Kuznetsov alone, let alone to add Lapierre. I think it's enough for Kuznetsov, even though WSH does not need Drouin, and does need a #2C. They can try Kotkaniemi or Eller there, until McMichael or Lapierre is ready. Since the Caps have four solid top-four wings in

Here's the post that got the conversation started: Hawsie suggests Kuznetsov for Kotkaniemi and a 1st. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2379255 In my comment I offered to add Kempny. Obviously with Kempny coming off a full season of sitting out with injuries, it's debatable which side that helps. But the point is that even though WSH has no RD prospects, nobody is obsessing over how to pry Josh Brook away from the Canadiens. It's more of just a listening process, hearing what most Habs fans want to offer for Kuznetsov that could sort of help the Caps.

So, you know, yeah. MTL could totally keep Brook and add a #1C. If you want to keep the top-four RD prospect, you can certainly go back to offering the top six center prospect and the pick. It doesn't help WSH's depth charts quite as much, but the value is there. Or you can be opposed to adding a top playmaking center. Kuznetsov is a polarizing figure around the league, but his teammates speak well of him, and they didn't publicly speak well of Burakovsky or Vrana, so I would not be surprised to see Kuznetsov stay in Washington and just keep contending.

eta: that's not even getting into what CGY and CBJ fans are offering for Kuznetsov. I've seen Monahan and a 2nd, Domi and a 1st, and Foudy and a 1st. Or CGY's 11th overall pick, plus Kylington. WSH fans rejected the latter because, like MTL, too many LHD.
brady_t12 and Jerry17381 liked this.
May 24, 2021 at 7:48 a.m.
Lenny7
-I mean, Leafers would probably love Wilson, but with their likely cap issue, I'd assume they'd rather just re-sign Hyman for what will likely be cheaper, while also keeping their prospect pipeline flowing. (I'd take him in Anaheim if I could lotto protect the 1st tears of joy)

-I feel like that's probably fair value for Kuzy, but that's a lot of money for the Habs to take on.

-Meh to the rest. If I'm Philly, I don't want to sell low on Patrick, but if they feel like it's time to move on, sure I guess...
May 24, 2021 at 8:40 a.m.
Quoting: Eli
You overlook weeks of conversations, mostly among Habs fans, about what they would like to offer for Kuznetsov.

As another Caps fan following this conversation, this is not a Caps fan proposal. Just a quote of a MTL fan post, based on a comment they made in a conversation, as part of a series of MTL posts bargaining down after another MTL fan suggested Kotkaniemi and MTL's 2021 1st. Like it says in the description, Brady has been asking around and following posts about Caps players. Read this one back on the MTL side? It keeps coming up.

Here's one recent post that offers the above (WSH giving Kuznetsov and taking Byron, MTL giving Brook and a 1st) and throws in a 2nd to take Drouin: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2404379 Not sure if that's fair or not, but WSH would need to clear more cap space in another move to make it work, unless Seattle takes Drouin.

Here's a variation with a 1st, two 2nds, Norlinder, and Poehling for Kuznetsov and Jensen: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2402440 if MTL is adding a top center, that makes it harder for Poehling to make the team next year, so by your logic of keeping depth at all positions, and needing RD, maybe that's a better idea? WSH currently has one AHL RHD: Paul Ladue. He's 28 and his contract is expiring, but they called him up for playoff depth so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring him back.

Here's a Habs fan posting the above trade plus a MTL 4th: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2401469

A Habs fan offered Drouin and a 1st for Kuznetsov. There's an Oilers fan in the comments who thinks the Caps should take Drouin for Kuznetsov straight up, but it's not clear whether he is Peter Chiarelli or the last surviving anti-Peter-Chiarelli troll account: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2399681 Either way, the idea does not help the Caps' depth chart unless Drouin can play #2C and occasionally score 70 points a year there. It would still be a little light. Is there a center the Caps could get for Drouin, somewhere in the league? They have pretty good NHL wings. (as an aside, here's a Drouin to WSH trade that includes a center and takes away a wing from WSH, without taking away from WSH's weak center depth. Not sure it gets any interest unless MTL sweetens it even more, but it seems more realistic than Drouin for Kuznetsov: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2388223)

Here's a Devils fan reposting Kuznetsov for Kotkaniemi and a 1st. I said in the comments the Caps should keep Kuznetsov, but after another quick first round exit, I'm beginning to see the reasoning behind getting younger. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2383142

Here's a Habs fan posting Drouin Kotkaniemi and a 1st for Kuznetsov and Lapierre. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2382077 Another Habs fan commented that isn't enough for Kuznetsov alone, let alone to add Lapierre. I think it's enough for Kuznetsov, even though WSH does not need Drouin, and does need a #2C. They can try Kotkaniemi or Eller there, until McMichael or Lapierre is ready. Since the Caps have four solid top-four wings in

Here's the post that got the conversation started: Hawsie suggests Kuznetsov for Kotkaniemi and a 1st. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2379255 In my comment I offered to add Kempny. Obviously with Kempny coming off a full season of sitting out with injuries, it's debatable which side that helps. But the point is that even though WSH has no RD prospects, nobody is obsessing over how to pry Josh Brook away from the Canadiens. It's more of just a listening process, hearing what most Habs fans want to offer for Kuznetsov that could sort of help the Caps.

So, you know, yeah. MTL could totally keep Brook and add a #1C. If you want to keep the top-four RD prospect, you can certainly go back to offering the top six center prospect and the pick. It doesn't help WSH's depth charts quite as much, but the value is there. Or you can be opposed to adding a top playmaking center. Kuznetsov is a polarizing figure around the league, but his teammates speak well of him, and they didn't publicly speak well of Burakovsky or Vrana, so I would not be surprised to see Kuznetsov stay in Washington and just keep contending.

eta: that's not even getting into what CGY and CBJ fans are offering for Kuznetsov. I've seen Monahan and a 2nd, Domi and a 1st, and Foudy and a 1st. Or CGY's 11th overall pick, plus Kylington. WSH fans rejected the latter because, like MTL, too many LHD.

2 of your links are from one person, 2 from another and one is an obvious troll or a habs fan who is just frustrated and wants to blow the team up cause he is too near sighted to see this team isn't as bad as they seem during the regular season. The Jersey fans opinion doesn't count as he has no idea what Montreal's view of their players are or what our needs are. And who cares what other teams are offering! Just cause there are some fans willing to overpay for a cokehead doesn't make the trade good or even plausible. I could offer Byron, Weal and a 7th for Ovi and Carlson and if some variation of that gets kicked around it still doesn't make the trade better. A bad and unneeded trade is still bad and unneeded even if 300 people post it.
May 24, 2021 at 9:43 a.m.
Icedragon4405
This is awful, they are not gonna give up Oshie in the Expansion draft, that would be a mistake, they are not gonna trade Wilson or Shultz, that would also be a mistake.
May 24, 2021 at 2:28 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Amplifys
man the caps offseason certainly fascinates me itll be so interesting to see what they do huge shake up cause ya too old and slow right now

I had wondered about that Mantha trade at deadline. They lost a fast skilled player for a guy who is slower but bigger. I don't know, I think something ruined their intended "game plan" it is what it is.' That probably wasn't a wise game plan to begin with, but it's the caps and that's what they do.

Quoting: Icedragon4405
This is awful, they are not gonna give up Oshie in the Expansion draft, that would be a mistake, they are not gonna trade Wilson or Shultz, that would also be a mistake.

Moving Oshie is not terrible. If they can get out from under that contract they should. The same is true of Schultz.
Wilson on the other hand, I'm not sure how you value him as a player right now. What version are you getting. Reckless abandon wilson, or this neutered version that was in the playoffs.
One has really good value, the other, not so much.
May 24, 2021 at 6:03 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: pharrow
Moving Oshie is not terrible. If they can get out from under that contract they should. The same is true of Schultz.
Wilson on the other hand, I'm not sure how you value him as a player right now. What version are you getting. Reckless abandon wilson, or this neutered version that was in the playoffs.
One has really good value, the other, not so much.

Wilson still tied for the team lead in playoff hits, and finished 6th in blocks. I don't think he was soft on the Bruins, but there is definitely getting to be an issue where teams run over the Caps' goalie, kick his legs out from under him so he has to leave his next game early and is done for the season with a leg injury, and then Wilson gets blamed and fined for fighting to defend Vanecek. Boston owes the Rangers $250k.

I agree that Oshie will be old by the end of his contract, and that lessens his positive trade value down to, like, a 2nd and a 3rd. I think Schultz put up #1D offensive totals this year at a #3D cap hit, so Carolina probably takes the above even if they are going to re-sign Hamilton. If nothing else, they could lose Schultz in the expansion draft and thereby protect a good young player.
Jerry17381 liked this.
May 24, 2021 at 10:54 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Icedragon4405

i LOVE Oshie, but it needs to happen. Its a good story for Seattle, and the caps free up cap space, aand this is probably the last good chance for the Caps to shed that contract before they are stuck with a 34 year old being paid over 5 million with term.
May 25, 2021 at 10:10 a.m.
Icedragon4405
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
i LOVE Oshie, but it needs to happen. Its a good story for Seattle, and the caps free up cap space, aand this is probably the last good chance for the Caps to shed that contract before they are stuck with a 34 year old being paid over 5 million with term.

But it's not a bad contract because he is a really good player.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll