Forums/Armchair-GM

STL Blues - What If 87D

Created by: PuckShmuck87
Team: 2021-22 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: May 25, 2021
Published: May 25, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Easy everybody. Just throwing some ideas together to see how they look on paper. Love Tarasenko and Schwartz, but I think that adding some size, especially on D, makes better use of limited cap space. Doubt that 91 waves NTC, so I'd try to work a deal to have Seattle take him. Also, wish I could figure out a way to retain Bozy for another couple of years.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$1,750,000
2$900,000
2$1,500,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,500,000
4$3,250,000
8$8,750,000
Trades
STL
    Expansion draft
    STL
    1. Lowry, Adam
    2. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
    WPG
    1. Dunn, Vince [RFA Rights]
    2. Sanford, Zachary [RFA Rights]
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the STL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$74,882,182$306,349$425,000$6,617,818
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the St. Louis Blues
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    C, LW
    NTC
    UFA - 7
    $1,875,000$1,875,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,750,000$1,750,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 6
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    G
    NTC
    UFA - 6
    $3,275,000$3,275,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 5
    $1,375,000$1,375,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $787,500$787,500
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $8,750,000$8,750,000
    RD
    UFA - 7

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 25, 2021 at 12:51 p.m.
    Lets Go Blues
    I've seen a lot of post-mortem Blues analysis that says they need to be bigger, tougher to play against, etc., and personally I think that's trash. It's definitely nice to have some sandpaper in the lineup to help with the rough stuff, but when the team gets swept and the top 6 was completely invisible, it might be time to look at the successful teams and their roster construction. The Avs skated circles around the Blues. They will continue to skate circles around the Blues for the next 5+ years. If the Blues add the biggest, meanest crease-clearing d-men known to man, the Avs will still skate circles around the Blues.

The key to being good at defense is to avoid playing it. It's how all of the other teams win. Cale Makar dominated every shift he played, the dude weighs like 160 lbs soaking wet. Their worst defensemen in the series, by my eye? The big guys, Nemeth and Graves, out there tossing grenades and giving up good ice for bad. It ain't about size or toughness. Those things are nice, but they are cheap/easy to come by/already on the Blues' roster.

Ok that rant is over. Honestly what you've done here is fine. Hamilton is big - he's not a "heavy" player, but he is an elite puck mover/offensive weapon. He'd be a much better replacement for Pietrangelo than Krug or Faulk. But who is playing their off side, or who is the really expensive 3rd pair RHD? That Lowry contract is long but I'd have faith that he could be a 3rd liner for the remainder of it. Losing Dunn is going to suck but I'm already mentally preparing for it.

Only team that can sign Hamilton for 8 yrs is the team he was on at the TDL per the CBA. But if the Blues could shed a big contract to Seattle, they should be all over Hamilton IMO. If he even gets to free agency, that is.
    PuckShmuck87 liked this.
    May 25, 2021 at 1:01 p.m.
    mokumboi
    There's plenty here I don't like or know won;t happen... and I normally would not want to trade Dunn to a division rival... but that Lowry + 2nd offer could change my mind. He'd be a great pick-up.
    May 25, 2021 at 1:14 p.m.
    No way Winnipeg moves Lowry for an LD.
    May 25, 2021 at 1:37 p.m.
    Quoting: A_K
    I've seen a lot of post-mortem Blues analysis that says they need to be bigger, tougher to play against, etc., and personally I think that's trash. It's definitely nice to have some sandpaper in the lineup to help with the rough stuff, but when the team gets swept and the top 6 was completely invisible, it might be time to look at the successful teams and their roster construction. The Avs skated circles around the Blues. They will continue to skate circles around the Blues for the next 5+ years. If the Blues add the biggest, meanest crease-clearing d-men known to man, the Avs will still skate circles around the Blues.

The key to being good at defense is to avoid playing it. It's how all of the other teams win. Cale Makar dominated every shift he played, the dude weighs like 160 lbs soaking wet. Their worst defensemen in the series, by my eye? The big guys, Nemeth and Graves, out there tossing grenades and giving up good ice for bad. It ain't about size or toughness. Those things are nice, but they are cheap/easy to come by/already on the Blues' roster.

Ok that rant is over. Honestly what you've done here is fine. Hamilton is big - he's not a "heavy" player, but he is an elite puck mover/offensive weapon. He'd be a much better replacement for Pietrangelo than Krug or Faulk. But who is playing their off side, or who is the really expensive 3rd pair RHD? That Lowry contract is long but I'd have faith that he could be a 3rd liner for the remainder of it. Losing Dunn is going to suck but I'm already mentally preparing for it.

Only team that can sign Hamilton for 8 yrs is the team he was on at the TDL per the CBA. But if the Blues could shed a big contract to Seattle, they should be all over Hamilton IMO. If he even gets to free agency, that is.

I think Army has a ton on his plate, and it's a retool that needs to happen. The fast pace game has gotten faster since 2019. I'd tend to think that yes we need one or two guys big Parayko and Faulk. The rest needs to be good pick movers. So the farm can be utilized with that. I also think the forward core needs a semi-ish retool. Leave Hoffman to FA. Try and solve some problem within bringing in speedier guys from the farm or signing them. We just need to get faster. Scoring was sort of an issue, but most of the problem was the injuries.
    May 25, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.
    Lets Go Blues
    Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
    I think Army has a ton on his plate, and it's a retool that needs to happen. The fast pace game has gotten faster since 2019. I'd tend to think that yes we need one or two guys big Parayko and Faulk. The rest needs to be good pick movers. So the farm can be utilized with that. I also think the forward core needs a semi-ish retool. Leave Hoffman to FA. Try and solve some problem within bringing in speedier guys from the farm or signing them. We just need to get faster. Scoring was sort of an issue, but most of the problem was the injuries.

I agree, team speed is probably the biggest issue - ignoring injuries which is just bad luck. I do like the concept that they've tried to get to, with a puck mover and a stay-at-home guy for each pair. I think it can work, but I think they gotta protect Dunn and expose Krug. If someone can tell me what Krug does better than Dunn that would be worth an extra 2.5m+ per year, I'm all ears. Krug has a better PP scoring rate over 3 seasons, mostly due to secondary assists racked up on Boston's top unit. Actually this year, Dunn's PP rate was slightly ahead (5.8 PPP/60 to 5.4). For every boneheaded turnover Dunn has made, I'm sure I can find one for Krug. I'd wager that more of them found the back of the net when Dunn was on the ice, which could be pure luck/PDO. Plus, in 6 yrs, imagine what 36 yr old Krug will look like compared to Dunn at age 30... rant not directed at you, I just have a feeling Dunn is going to be left exposed and it's going to be an immediate and long-lasting mistake.
    May 25, 2021 at 4:02 p.m.
    I agree, team speed is probably the biggest issue - ignoring injuries which is just bad luck. I do like the concept that they've tried to get to, with a puck mover and a stay-at-home guy for each pair. I think it can work, but I think they gotta protect Dunn and expose Krug. If someone can tell me what Krug does better than Dunn that would be worth an extra 2.5m+ per year, I'm all ears. Krug has a better PP scoring rate over 3 seasons, mostly due to secondary assists racked up on Boston's top unit. Actually this year, Dunn's PP rate was slightly ahead (5.8 PPP/60 to 5.4). For every boneheaded turnover Dunn has made, I'm sure I can find one for Krug. I'd wager that more of them found the back of the net when Dunn was on the ice, which could be pure luck/PDO. Plus, in 6 yrs, imagine what 36 yr old Krug will look like compared to Dunn at age 30... rant not directed at you, I just have a feeling Dunn is going to be left exposed and it's going to be an immediate and long-lasting mistake.

I think Krug needs a year to settle in. I'm thinking it's gonna take him sometime to fit in just like it was for Faulk. Blues most likely trade them picks to take Scandella or someone else who is not going to leave a long lasting issue occur. I really do like Dunn, he just needs some stability on the back end. I would wager him being on the 3rd Pairing and put Mikkola on the 2nd Pairing would work. Krug-Parayko Mikkola-Faulk Dunn-Santini/Reinke/Bortuzzo/Walman. I like those ideas. Parayko and Krug need some time to work together. I also like the idea of maybe bringing in some speedy guys this offseason. Cheap, but good puck movers. A guy who I think could have immediate impact on the bottom lines or middle lines even Matthias Janmark, he brings good speed he's known to be a good player on the left and down the center. You can honestly swap him with Hoffman I would have any issues with it. Bozak he probably gets replaced by Sunny long-term.

I've seen a news line that said Blues could win the Jack Eichel sweepsteaks, I feel that's a bunch of BS when we don't have much space to begin with so 10 Million dollars on the books isn't gonna really help whatsoever.

Realistically I see

Out the door
    Hoffman
    Scandella
    Bortuzzo
    Gunnarsson
    Sanford
    Bozak

Bring a Forward Speedy one

Then for the defensive retool you use the farm for now as I have stated prospects wise obviously Reinke, Walman, Santini, Mikkola and hopefully hopefully Perunovich is ready sooner rather than later so he can replace Krug if he doesn't work out next year. I think Blues should give him more than one chance at proving himself.

(Steen's Contract off the books)
    PuckShmuck87 liked this.
    May 25, 2021 at 9:48 p.m.

May 25, 2021 at 9:55 p.m.
    I really appreciate your perspective and the thoughtful consideration that you gave in your response. Refreshing.

I agree with much of what you said, but Colorado has spent several years in the basement, acquiring draft picks, and building this very fine, high skill/speed team. I don't see this path as an option for the Blues unless they nuke the roster and start a 6-7 year rebuild. Given the pieces they have to work with, smash mouth with some modicum of skill may be the best avenue to another Cup. It's essentially what they did two years ago.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
    May 25, 2021 at 10:30 p.m.
    Quoting: PuckShmuck87

BTW - a buddy of mine played against Seth Jones, either college or minors, not sure, but he's still high on him. Given his fall from grace in Columbus, would he be a better option than Hamilton? I'm concerned that Parayko may never develop into the dominant, top-pairing RD we were hoping for prior to his back issues and I feel that Faulk is simply an elite 3rd or 4th D. I think Jones would do well with a change of scenery, a solid roster, and steady LD mate, i.e. Scandella or Oleksiak. Thoughts?
    May 26, 2021 at 9:40 a.m.
    Lets Go Blues
    Quoting: PuckShmuck87
    BTW - a buddy of mine played against Seth Jones, either college or minors, not sure, but he's still high on him. Given his fall from grace in Columbus, would he be a better option than Hamilton? I'm concerned that Parayko may never develop into the dominant, top-pairing RD we were hoping for prior to his back issues and I feel that Faulk is simply an elite 3rd or 4th D. I think Jones would do well with a change of scenery, a solid roster, and steady LD mate, i.e. Scandella or Oleksiak. Thoughts?

The numbers on Jones show one really good season and then a huge drop-off in his play. I think if the price is right he would be a great addition, but I think CBJ is going to ask for the moon and someone will probably overpay. For me, Hamilton is the better player and the cost to acquire would be nothing but cap space.

I agree with you on Faulk, he and Krug should be deployed as a 2nd pair. So if you think Parayko isn't going to be able to elevate to the no.1 role, it would make sense to find someone who can. So much of this offseason is going to depend on the expansion draft. If they use it as an opportunity to get a long-term contract out of the way to bring in someone new, if they make a hole at F or D, etc.
    PuckShmuck87 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll