Realistic Offseason Give me your thoughts

Created by: GirouxFanclub
Team: 2021-22 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: May 28, 2021
Published: May 29, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trying to do my best at a Flyers realistic offseason

Pending RFAs: Travis Sanheim, Carter Hart, Nolan Patrick, Connor Bunnaman, Carsen Twarynski, David Kase, German Rubstov, Linus Sandin, Felix Sandstrom, and Pascal Laberge.

Travis Sanheim: I don't see anyway that Sanheim doesn't return to the Flyers next season, so the question is what contract does he get? I see Sanheim signing and 2-3 year bridge deal around 3.5 to 3.75 million dollar deal. I don't think Sanheim wants to go long term because he's probably hoping he has a breakout year soon so he gets a expensive long term deal and I don't think the Flyers are willing to give him a expensive long term contract yet. *Final contract - 3 years 3.75 Million*

Carter Hart: If Harts ELC expired last year we would be talking a 6-8 year contract but with the disappointing season Hart will get no more than a 2 year deal. Money wise, it will probably be between 2-3 million dollars. If Hart bounces back on the 2 year contract he will get his big contract when it expires. *Final contract - 2 years 2.5 million*

Nolan Patrick: Patrick is definitely in the most interesting situation out of all the RFAs. Coming off a season where he provided solid defense, but has lost almost all his confidence in his offensive game. Part of his struggles offensively are; not playing for almost 2 years coming into the season,
getting barely any ice time, and most importantly having 0 confidence. His situation is interesting because a lot of different things could happen to him this offseason. I could see one of these 3 things happening; he resigns with the Flyers, he gets unprotected in the expansion draft and gets taken by Seattle (unlikely), or he gets traded. If I were to guess what would happen I think he will be traded. Things just haven't worked out with Patrick in Philadelphia and I think he wants a fresh start and the team could definitely look to move him. If he were to resign it would definitely be a 1 year deal around 1 million *Final contract (if he's resigned) - 1 year 975k*

Connor Bunnaman: Bunnanman is nothing more than a solid depth center. He played well enough last year when in the line-up and he will definitely get a little bit of a raise but nothing more than 1 million. Term wise he will most likely get a 2 year deal. *Final contract - 2 year 875k (2-way contract)*

Carsen Twarynski: Twarynski is an okay depth winger that can come up from the AHL and can fill a roster spot when needed. Twarynski contract will be similar to Bunnanmans, probably a little cheaper considering Bunnaman provides more value. I see it probably being a 2 year deal like Bunnanmans and under 900k. *Final contract - 2 years 795k (2-way contract)*

David Kase: As of this week Kase signed with HC Sparta Praha of the Czech league. The Flyers still have rights to Kase but he can't play with the Flyers organization until his new contract expires and then he can decide if wants to come back to North America.

German Rubstov: Rubstov was loaned to the KHL for the 2020-21 season and had an okay season over in Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed in the KHL for the 2021-22 season as well but he could definitely come back to North America too. If he does decide to come back I'd assume he would sign a 1 or 2 year contract worth around league minimum salary. *Final contract (If he signs) - 1 year 750k (2-way contract)*

Linus Sandin: If Sandin is interested in signing back with the Flyers instead of leaving back to the SHL his contract will probably be 1 or 2 years and around 800k. *Final contract (If he signs) - 1 year 794k (2-way contract)

Felix Sandstrom: I'm not sure if the Flyers will re-sign Sandstrom because they have some younger goalies with better potential that could make the transition to the AHL for the 2021-22 season. *I say he doesn't re-sign*

Pascal Laberge: Laberge is the same as Sandstrom as he has been at best just okay in his time in the ECHL and AHL, and also like Sandstrom there are younger players with higher potential ready to replace him. *I say he doesn't re-sign*

Pending UFAs: Andy Andreoff, Chris Bigras, Brian Elliott, Alex Lyon, Samuel Morin, Derrick Pouliot, Nate Prosser, and Tyler Wotherspoon

I'm going to make this quick since none of these players are really important at all. I think Morin will be signed to a 2 year 850k (2-way contract), and I think Chris Bigras will get a 1 year league minimum contract (2-way contract). I also think it's possible the Flyers bring back Tyler Wotherspoon to a league minimum deal as well.

Expansion Draft

I could see Seattle going in a few directions in the expansion draft depending on who's protected and who's not.

Protected FWDs: Giroux (NMC), Hayes (NMC), Konecny, Couturier, Lindblom, Laughton, Patrick
Protected D-man: Provorov, Sanheim, Myers
Protected Goalie: Hart

JVR: JVR is who I think is the most likely to be picked and who I think they will pick. JVR had a great 2021 season after a mediocre 2019-20 season. His contract isn't as bad as some think because it only has 2 years remaining from the start of next season. Obviously the 7 million dollar cap is a lot to take on but JVR is a good player and would be a great instant impact top 6 FWD for Seattle. I think the Flyers maybe would have to add a mid round pick or a B or C level prospect to have Seattle take on the contract but it would be worth it for the Flyers as 7 million is very valuble cap space and with winger maybe being the Flyers deepest position you can afford to lose JVR.

Nicolas Aube-Kubel: NAK has served as a great bottom 6 role player for the Flyers the past 2 seasons so it would obviously hurt to lose him if he is chosen but like JVR it hurts less considering winger is the Flyers deepest position. Since he's young with good potential I could Seattle taking him, but considering JVR will be one of the better players unprotected I think they will take him.

Nolan Patrick. I touched on Patrick earlier in this post so I won't go that into detail here. If Patrick is unprotected I think Seattle will take him. If Patrick got a fresh start with a brand new franchise and more opportunity I think he would thrive and finally start to show his 2nd overall potential. In the end tho I do see the Flyers protecting him.

Shayne Gostibehere: Ghost had a very underrated bounce-back season last year and he will almost certainly be unprotected in the draft. Even though I think there is still a solid player in Ghost I don't think Seattle would take the risk of taking on that contract for the next 3 years but he's still an interesting player to throw out there for Seattle.

What needs the Flyers should target via free agency and via trade

It's obvious the Flyers need help on defense as last year as the retirement of Niskanen left a huge whole in their top 4. Some players I would target if I was the Flyers; RD Erik Cernak from the Tampa Bay Lightning. It's clear how bad Tampa Bays cap situation is right now and Cernak has been a name thrown around in trade talks to help clear some cap in the offseason. I think Cernak would be a perfect fit in the top 4 as he is a big right handed defensive first d-man which is exactly what the Flyers need.

Another player I would target would be LD Mattias Ekholm from the Nashville Predators. As the window closes for the Preds they might finally start to ship off some key players from their once great team. I think Ekholm fits in the time frame perfectly for the Flyers as his contract expires next offseason which is the same year that Giroux, Couturier, Farabee, and many more key Flyers players contracts expire. If works out you can re-sign him to whatever fits the next time frame with the Giroux and Couturier contracts. The only thing that I don't like about his fit is that he's a left handed but besides that everything the Flyers need Ekholm has.

I think the Flyers are missing a 4th line center and a guy that fits that description is Boone Jenner. Jenner is a solid bottom 6 two way center who would help stabilize that bottom 6 and complete it. I think CBJ would be interested in moving on from Jenner as he's getting older and the Jackets are clearly going into a rebuilding direction. He also has 1 year left so if it doesn't work out you can just move on next offseason.

Another guy I think the Flyers should target is veteran FWD Tyler Ennis. The Flyers virtually had no depth scoring last year and a guy like Ennis who could come in when injury's happen and can play all over the lineup would be a perfect fit.

If the Flyers want to really make a splash at a great young defenseman I think they should target St. Louis Blues D Vince Dunn. Dunn can play either side of the blue line and would probably pair well with anyone you pair him with. It would take a lot to get Dunn but he would be a great fit now and for the future.

Also the Flyers need to target any goalie who can be a good 1b goalie for Hart.

Finally I want to talk about trade assets on the NHL roster

Ghost is an obvious pick for this as he most likely be traded. Potential fits I could see are Florida, or St. Louis (in a Dunn trade).

Same goes for Patrick as he most likely will be traded. Potential fits I could see are Seattle, Vancouver, Detroit, or Chicago.

Voracek could be traded but I doubt it. Although if the Flyers make a blockbuster trade Voracek would probably be apart of it. I do see Voracek being moved in the 2022 offseason tho.

Now I'm going to make some moves let me know what you think of them in the comments!

The first move is trading Patrick to the Red Wings. I think the Wings would be interested in Patrick as they have weak center depth and Yzerman has traded for players looking for a fresh start before for example, Robbi Fabbri. The Flyers get Svechnikov in return as he is another player that just hasnt worked out and the Flyers get a 3rd as well because Patrick is a better player than Svechnikov. *I then signed Svechnikov to a 1 year 825k (2-way contract)*

Expansion Draft is simple since I already talked about it earlier. Pay Seattle an average prospect in Ratcliffe so they take on JVR's contract.

Now for the big move. I already talked about Dunn's fit with the team so lets talk about the trade. This trade only happens if the Flyers don't win the lottery. This trade would happen either days before the draft or on draft night. A 1st and 2nd is where the conversation starts and then the Flyers add Ghost to make the cap work and Ghost will be the replacement for Dunn. Then you add Hagg and a 3rd to sweeten the deal and I think you have fair value. The Blues will definitely want at least 1 roster defenseman back in a deal like this and either picks or prospects which is what I offered. *I then signed Dunn to a 3 year bridge deal worth about 4 million a year*

For the final trade I just give up a 6th round pick for Kris Russel who will come in to be Robert Haggs replacement.

As for free agent signings I signed Ennis to a 1 year deal (kinda overpayed but since it's only a 1 year deal it doesn't really matter). Ennis would be a good add to provide depth scoring and come in and play all over the lineup.

I signed Paquette instead of trading for Jenner because I didn't want to trade any picks after the Dunn trade. Paquette can serve as a gritty 4th line center for his 2 year contract and would be a decent fit considering the team need.

I also signed 2 goalies one being former Flyer Petr Mrazek. Mrazek is going to probably want a longer term contract but that doesn't work for the Flyers so I offered him more money for a 2 year deal. He could be a 1b goalie for Hart when he needs his rest. Comrie is just a add to get some more goaltending depth.

With all these moves you are still left with 4.5 million in cap to either spend for a rental at the deadline or save for the big offseason next year.

Now I'm finally done let me know what you think in comments because this took me forever so I want so feedback lol
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
3$875,000
3$873,400
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,750,000
2$2,500,000
2$875,000
2$795,000
1$750,000
1$794,000
1$825,000
3$4,125,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$750,000
2$850,000
1$1,150,000
2$1,850,000
1$775,000
2$4,650,000
Trades
PHI
  1. Svechnikov, Evgeny [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
*PRE EXPANSION*
Acquire a player looking for a fresh start for a player looking for a fresh start.
Patrick is better than Svechnikov so the Flyers also get a 3rd round pick.
DET
  1. Patrick, Nolan [RFA Rights]
PHI
    *EXPANSION DRAFT*
    SEA
    1. Ratcliffe, Isaac
    2. van Riemsdyk, James
    Additional Details:
    Seattle gets an average prospect to take on JVR contract
    PHI
    1. Dunn, Vince [RFA Rights]
    Additional Details:
    *BEFORE 2021 NHL DRAFT*
    Dunn signs extension with Flyers
    Also if the Flyers win the lottery they aren't making this trade
    STL
    1. Gostisbehere, Shayne
    2. Hägg, Robert
    3. 2021 1st round pick (PHI)
    4. 2021 3rd round pick (PHI)
    5. 2022 2nd round pick (PHI)
    EDM
    1. 2022 6th round pick (PHI)
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the DET
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the VGK
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    Logo of the PHI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    25$81,500,000$67,218,095$0$1,470,000$14,281,905
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
    $4,137,500$4,137,500
    RW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,333,333$4,333,333
    C
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,571,429$3,571,429
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    RW
    RFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333
    C
    RFA - 1
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 5
    $1,850,000$1,850,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,075,000$1,075,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,725,000$4,725,000
    LD
    UFA - 4
    $4,125,000$4,125,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    G
    RFA - 3
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $2,550,000$2,550,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $4,650,000$4,650,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $1,150,000$1,150,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $756,667$756,667 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
    LD/RD
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $875,000$875,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 29, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
    Hockeynerd Oiler Fan
    Don't know Philly well enough to comment on most of it, but Ennis would be a good pickup. Small but gritty, can play all over the lineup. Don't think the Oilers would do the Russell trade (certainly not for a 6th) as he projects to be 3LD next year at a good price point. Dmitri Kulikov might be an alternative LD UFA pickup at ~1M.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.
    Quoting: Krahntinuum
    Don't know Philly well enough to comment on most of it, but Ennis would be a good pickup. Small but gritty, can play all over the lineup. Don't think the Oilers would do the Russell trade (certainly not for a 6th) as he projects to be 3LD next year at a good price point. Dmitri Kulikov might be an alternative LD UFA pickup at ~1M.

I personally think that Edmonton will re-sign Kulikov making Russel available to trade for. And I think Edmonton wants Bouchard to get more minutes and possibly Broberg so I do think there is a decent chance Russel gets moved.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.
    Kuddos to you for the team description.

I could get behind that Detroit deal for the change of scenery.
    GirouxFanclub and aedoran liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:01 p.m.
    mokumboi
    It doesn't really matter if the Flyers win the lottery, because the Blues won't take that deal.
    aedoran liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:06 p.m.
    Quoting: mokumboi
    It doesn't really matter if the Flyers win the lottery, because the Blues won't take that deal.

? so you are saying you wouldn't trade a top 3 pick, a 2nd, a 3rd, and two solid roster defenseman for Dunn. You're crazy
    Roperttos, aedoran, Jfstompers and 2 others liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:07 p.m.
    Quoting: BStinson

Took me forever to make this lol
    BStinson liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:12 p.m.
    I think the Blues would probably be looking for winger rather than doubling down on defensemen. However, I think Army would take that deal if he thought he could flip one of Ghost or Scandella without retaining
    GirouxFanclub liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:13 p.m.
    Quoting: StLHockey
    I think the Blues would probably be looking for winger rather than doubling down on defensemen. However, I think Army would take that deal if he thought he could flip one of Ghost or Scandella without retaining

What flyers forward would you be interested in?
    May 29, 2021 at 2:19 p.m.
    Hockeynerd Oiler Fan
    Quoting: GirouxFanclub
    I personally think that Edmonton will re-sign Kulikov making Russel available to trade for. And I think Edmonton wants Bouchard to get more minutes and possibly Broberg so I do think there is a decent chance Russel gets moved.

Not saying it won't happen, but I can tell you Russell played ahead of Kulikov in the last playoff game. Kulikov makes too many 5-alarm mistakes. Tipp trusts Russell. Also, Russell has made it pretty clear that he would prefer to stay in Alberta or at least Western Canada/US as he has a ranch in southern Alberta. Has said he would retire if he can't play close to home. Not saying he couldn't change his mind, but just some local intel for you.

Bouchard is RD so that doesn't factor in. They won't play him on the left side. Broberg needs at least most or all of next year in the AHL before he'll be ready. He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs in Sweden.
    GirouxFanclub liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:22 p.m.
    Quoting: Krahntinuum
    Not saying it won't happen, but I can tell you Russell played ahead of Kulikov in the last playoff game. Kulikov makes too many 5-alarm mistakes. Tipp trusts Russell. Also, Russell has made it pretty clear that he would prefer to stay in Alberta or at least Western Canada/US as he has a ranch in southern Alberta. Has said he would retire if he can't play close to home. Not saying he couldn't change his mind, but just some local intel for you.

Bouchard is RD so that doesn't factor in. They won't play him on the left side. Broberg needs at least most or all of next year in the AHL before he'll be ready. He was a healthy scratch in the playoffs in Sweden.

makes sense, you definitely learn stuff about other players and teams from other fans on here
    Krahntinuum liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
    Quoting: BStinson

I don't know Svech ok but with Patrick's concussion history a 3rd is too much for me.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:38 p.m.
    Quoting: aedoran
    I don't know Svech ok but with Patrick's concussion history a 3rd is too much for me.

bro it's a 3rd for a high upside player and the red wings would still have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:41 p.m.
    ? so you are saying you wouldn't trade a top 3 pick, a 2nd, a 3rd, and two solid roster defenseman for Dunn. You're crazy

Thinking that the Flyers would give up that much for Dunn isn't all that sane either.
    GirouxFanclub and BStinson liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 2:55 p.m.
    Pop Pop

They could do this deal and and even move the 2nd to seattle for them to take ghost and still have hagg a 1st and a 3rd. Philly is the one who shouldn't do the deal.
    May 29, 2021 at 3:01 p.m.
    bro it's a 3rd for a high upside player and the red wings would still have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.

How many picks Detroit is completely irrelevant! If you really were an NHL GM and you said to another GM "Well you have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds." What do you think the other GM would say?
    May 29, 2021 at 3:02 p.m.
    If you are saying the Flyers trade Ghost and a 2nd to Seattle and then offer sheet Dunn I'll tell you that St. Louis would not except a offer sheet because they know they can get more for him via trade.
    May 29, 2021 at 3:06 p.m.
    How many picks Detroit is completely irrelevant! If you really were an NHL GM and you said to another GM "Well you have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds." What do you think the other GM would say?

My point is you can afford to trade a 3rd for a high risk player considering all the other picks you have. And Patrick would almost certainly have an increased role in Detroit and would probably become a solid middle 6 center. And about the concision issues, he obviously had the major migraines but besides that hes been pretty healthy since drafted and last season he had no health issues.
    May 29, 2021 at 3:08 p.m.

Except he's not really a high upside player anymore. He's shown he's not very good and has health concerns on top of that, his migraines could return at any time. Veleno and Rasmussen are better than Patrick atp, so Wings don't really have room for him next season
    May 29, 2021 at 3:10 p.m.
    Quoting: Drw4209
    Except he's not really a high upside player anymore. He's shown he's not very good and has health concerns on top of that, his migraines could return at any time. Veleno and Rasmussen are better than Patrick atp, so Wings don't really have room for him next season

Veleno is maybe better than Patrick but Rasmussen has been nothing but trash on both ends of the ice so far in the NHL and Patrick is already solid defensively and if he regains offensive confidence and gets more ice time he will probably become a good middle 6 two way center.
    May 29, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
    mokumboi
    Edited May 29, 2021 at 4:17 p.m.

First of all, you clearly stated there would be no deal if Philly won the lottery, so your reply makes no sense at all. I'm not replying to an offer that won;t be on the table. If, as you state, the Flyers don;t make the deal if they win the lottery, and I'm telling you the Blues don't make the deal if you don't win the lottery, then it doesn't matter if the Flyers win the lottery, does it? Either way the lottery goes, there's no deal here.

And just for the record, "two solid roster defenseman" is a very funny way of describing them. If they are so "solid" then why are you paying so much to ditch them? The Blues already have LDs better and cheaper than those two "solid" guys falling out of their ears. Sending two inferior LDs that cost way more is not going to entice the Blues. They're not going to eat more cap to downgrade.
    May 29, 2021 at 4:12 p.m.
    mokumboi
    Quoting: Jfstompers
    They could do this deal and and even move the 2nd to seattle for them to take ghost and still have hagg a 1st and a 3rd. Philly is the one who shouldn't do the deal.

I always love these remarks about how the team "could always just" make some other move(s) we don't actually know they'd be able to make, and that magically solves everything. That is not the hell how eating cap in a trade works, bro. It's not like "oh, here take this $10M worth of players you do not want or need because surely you can coerce somebody else into taking them". That's not trade value, and it's no way to run a team.
    May 29, 2021 at 4:12 p.m.
    mokumboi
    Thinking that the Flyers would give up that much for Dunn isn't all that sane either.

He literally says above that they don't make the offer if they win the lottery. So I have no idea what this reply is about.
    aedoran liked this.
    May 29, 2021 at 4:14 p.m.
    mokumboi
    Quoting: StLHockey
    IHowever, I think Army would take that deal if he thought he could flip one of Ghost or Scandella without retaining

Ha! Good luck with that. Army is not playing clearance center for other teams.
    May 29, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
    Banned
    Sorry but Adam Dunn, Has nowhere near that kind of value.
    May 29, 2021 at 5:28 p.m.
    Pop Pop
    Quoting: mokumboi
    I always love these remarks about how the team "could always just" make some other move(s) we don't actually know they'd be able to make, and that magically solves everything. That is not the hell how eating cap in a trade works, bro. It's not like "oh, here take this $10M worth of players you do not want or need because surely you can coerce somebody else into taking them". That's not trade value, and it's no way to run a team.

Jesus I was just saying it gives st louis options, settle down buddy

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll