Forums/Armchair-GM

Busy offseason

Created by: EccE
Team: 2021-22 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: May 31, 2021
Published: May 31, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I just kinda made this so values and stuff might be a bit off.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,500,000
5$6,200,000
4$4,100,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$750,000
Trades
MIN
    Expansion
    SEA
    1. Rask, Victor
    2. 2021 2nd round pick (MIN)
    Additional Details:
    Francis likes this guy - he was the one who gave him his current deal. Maybe he wants him? Please?
    MIN
    1. Cirelli, Anthony
    Additional Details:
    Tampa is more than 5M over the cap already. They have multiple contracts to sign. Even if Seattle picks Johnson (which will be EXTREMELY costly) they'd need to shed millions of cap. Losing Cirelli hurts, but that is the tough reality of a flat cap.
    TBL
    1. Greenway, Jordan ($750,000 retained)
    2. 2021 1st round pick (MIN)
    Additional Details:
    Cirelli had a bit of a down year, but he is still a great 2C. His price will be a cheap top6 forward and a 1st. Let me know if something needs to be added, but be realistic. Tampa has zero leverage at the moment.
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    Logo of the MIN
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    20$81,500,000$70,766,667$0$1,350,000$10,733,333
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Minnesota Wild
    $8,500,000$8,500,000
    LW
    UFA - 5
    Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
    $4,800,000$4,800,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $880,833$880,833 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 2
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $6,200,000$6,200,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167
    C
    RFA - 4
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,700,000$1,700,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 3
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $3,666,667$3,666,667
    G
    UFA - 2
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $7,575,000$7,575,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    G
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    May 31, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
    PULL A TAMPA IGNORE
    No chance Cirelli is cap fodder
    May 31, 2021 at 1:23 p.m.
    Quoting: TheThunder
    No chance Cirelli is cap fodder

Then I'd like to know your way of handling the hell some also like to call Tampa Bay's cap situation.
    TanSor liked this.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:25 p.m.
    Quoting: EccE
    Then I'd like to know your way of handling the hell some also like to call Tampa Bay's cap situation.

They'll just have somebody get hurt, wait to get surgery, and LTIR for the season again.
    TanSor, OutCold13 and EccE liked this.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.
    Quoting: wabit
    They'll just have somebody get hurt, wait to get surgery, and LTIR for the season again.

That would probably be Kucherov again lol. But seriously, I think the NHL will change (hopefully) the rules so that the cap is on in the playoffs as well.
    TanSor liked this.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:28 p.m.
    PULL A TAMPA IGNORE

Johnson is packaged to Seattle and Killorn is traded TB minimums Rfa and uses Syracuse
    May 31, 2021 at 1:34 p.m.
    Johnson is packaged to Seattle and Killorn is traded TB minimums Rfa and uses Syracuse

Johnson to Seattle will cost a 1st and a good prospect at least. Remember, you have no leverage. Shipping Killorn out will also cost a good pile of draft capital I'm not sure BriseBois is willing to give away. Goodrow, Savard, and Coleman are as good as gone. You have to sign 5 RFAs (two of them have arbitration rights) and let me tell you, they won't be taking the minimum pay. After all that, you still have to sign a number 2 goalie. Your proposal is optimistic, but simply not enough. Somethings got to give. If you want to contend, having two lines of great players and two lines of AHLers is not an option.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:37 p.m.
    PULL A TAMPA IGNORE
    Johnson to Seattle will cost a 1st and a good prospect at least. Remember, you have no leverage. Shipping Killorn out will also cost a good pile of draft capital I'm not sure BriseBois is willing to give away. Goodrow, Savard, and Coleman are as good as gone. You have to sign 5 RFAs (two of them have arbitration rights) and let me tell you, they won't be taking the minimum pay. After all that, you still have to sign a number 2 goalie. Your proposal is optimistic, but simply not enough. Somethings got to give. If you want to contend, having two lines of great players and two lines of AHLers is not an option.

You're delusional if you think Killorn costs
    JTBF81 liked this.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:38 p.m.
    Hockey Fan13
    Quoting: wabit

You beat me to it, nicely done.
    Lightman13 liked this.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:41 p.m.
    You're delusional if you think Killorn costs

Who wants to help you? Everybody knows Tampa can't afford anything, so they can and they will take advantage. Killorn has a cap hit of 4,45 million for 2 more years and he has been... meh, kinda okay. Nobody PAYS to get him in a flat cap world. You are delusional if you think you will get something for trading him.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:42 p.m.
    PULL A TAMPA IGNORE
    Edited May 31, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
    Who wants to help you? Everybody knows Tampa can't afford anything, so they can and they will take advantage. Killorn has a cap hit of 4,45 million for 3 more years and he has been... meh, kinda okay. Nobody PAYS to get him in a flat cap world. You are delusional if you think you will get something for trading him.

Teams also want to help themselves and he's a 20 goal power forward who's an excellent PK guy very good pp guy on a very reasonable contract. They get at least a 3
    May 31, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
    Teams also want to help themselves and he's a 20 goal power forward who's an excellent PK guy very good pp guy on a very reasonable contract

You are not realizing the important part: You. Have. No. Leverage. You have two options: pay to give Killorn away or have him on your team while being over the cap. Your choice.

Your position is so bad you have to be desperate to be cap compliant by next season. Teams will take advantage. Why pay when you can get it for free.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:51 p.m.
    PULL A TAMPA IGNORE
    You are not realizing the important part: You. Have. No. Leverage. You have two options: pay to give Killorn away or have him on your team while being over the cap. Your choice.

Your position is so bad you have to be desperate to be cap compliant by next season. Teams will take advantage. Why pay when you can get it for free.

Because easily 5-6 would jump on getting Killorn which will cause a slight bidding war negating some cap issues
    May 31, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
    Because easily 5-6 would jump on getting Killorn which will cause a slight bidding war negating some cap issues

There are cheaper options than Killorn if you want penalty killers. There won't be a bidding war, believe me. Tampa pretty much has to give a quality player like Cirelli away to be cap compliant. Maybe I am a pessimist, but I just see no other way.
    May 31, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
    PULL A TAMPA IGNORE
    There are cheaper options than Killorn if you want penalty killers. There won't be a bidding war, believe me. Tampa pretty much has to give a quality player like Cirelli away to be cap compliant. Maybe I am a pessimist, but I just see no other way.

Option 2 for the pessimist Palat is used to "trade" Johnson to Seattle Seattle gets a top line winger and overpaid but looking at advance metrics solid 3c
    May 31, 2021 at 2:05 p.m.
    Patient gm
    In theory this would be a very good team. If that wouldn’t work with Tampa sign denault.
    May 31, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.

Tampa actually has a lot of leverage... but not in the traditional sense... their leverage is in the fact that other teams would get into a bidding war if Cirelli were to be available... I suspect you would have to add another piece to make that deal happen. And based on Tampa’s history, they are going to need an ELC guy like Rossi or Boldy to make them choose the Wild over other teams in the hunt.
    It’s the same as Columbus with Foligno and PLD... they had very little leverage, but created some additional leverage by openly having multiple suitors.
    If Eichel gets traded that will be the same type of scenario... but way more

May 31, 2021 at 5:38 p.m.
    Tampa actually has a lot of leverage... but not in the traditional sense... their leverage is in the fact that other teams would get into a bidding war if Cirelli were to be available... I suspect you would have to add another piece to make that deal happen. And based on Tampa’s history, they are going to need an ELC guy like Rossi or Boldy to make them choose the Wild over other teams in the hunt.
    It’s the same as Columbus with Foligno and PLD... they had very little leverage, but created some additional leverage by openly having multiple suitors.
    If Eichel gets traded that will be the same type of scenario... but way more
    May 31, 2021 at 11:03 p.m.
    Tampa easily declines this meh offer for their 2C. A middle or bottom 6 F and a mid round 1st in a weak draft, yeah easy pass. The usual, "no one will help Tampa so they'll have to take this bad offer" is something Tampa fans have heard for several years, and interestingly enough they've always been wrong...

Tampa has plenty of options before trading their 2C for pennies. Johnson has 21 teams he can be moved to, and if Brisebois can't find a trade that works(which he will), then a buyout is also an option. The cap hit is only worse in one year, the other are 1 or 1.5.

One of Killorn or Palat is also likely getting traded for value, and anyone that thinks that Tampa will have to pay to move Killorn is kidding themselves. After that, a lot depends on how Tampa wants their defense to look, as whether they work on McD to Seattle(or somewhere else if he's convinced to waive) and keep Savard, or let Savard walk and keep McD is still not 100% certain. Coleman is likely gone unless he takes a team friendly deal, and similar considerations could come into play for Savard. Moving McD could give them enough to keep Savard and Coleman with another small move, but I doubt McD is going anywhere. Goodrow will get re-signed since he will be less than Coleman, and if Coleman is prioritized that much, Tampa could trade both Killorn and Palat to keep him.

What won't be happening is Tampa trading their 23 year old 2C, who still hasn't reached his potential yet, for s guy who might be on Tampa's 3rd line(being generous) and a pick between 20-23 in one of the weakest draft classes in years. If Cirelli was even being considered as a trade piece, Tampa would easily receive quite a few better offers than this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll