SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

A safe pace for leaf fans to post their feelings

May 31, 2021 at 10:22 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
see but I think they had that. They shut down AM and MM, yes. But we also should have been able to roll out

Foligno - Tavares - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Simmonds
Jumbo - Engvall - Spezza

which is great depth. Easily could have got the job done. But at the same time even without JT they should have found a way. Trade Marner and get who? Marner was elite all season and then this? Like **** i just don't know

outside Nylander and tavares those are all 4th liner on other teams, Kerfoot tho actually tried hard from what many ppl said on other sites boards.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
May 31, 2021 at 10:22 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
What do you mean "get out of his own head"?

he was stuck in his own head, beating himself up over every little mistake and he put WAYYYYY too much pressure on himself to break out of his slump
May 31, 2021 at 10:25 p.m.
Quoting: athrin
outside Nylander and tavares those are all 4th liner on other teams, Kerfoot tho actually tried hard from what many ppl said on other sites boards.

no their not. Spezza was producing at a 2nd liner's pace with 4th line minutes (which is an argument for another time). Kerfoot isn't a 4th liner. 3rd line C, middle 6 winger. Mikheyev is a 3rd line checking line dream. Foligno is a good player, 3rd liner at worst.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
May 31, 2021 at 10:28 p.m.
Quoting: leafs101
no their not. Spezza was producing at a 2nd liner's pace with 4th line minutes (which is an argument for another time). Kerfoot isn't a 4th liner. 3rd line C, middle 6 winger. Mikheyev is a 3rd line checking line dream. Foligno is a good player, 3rd liner at worst.

Habs 3rd line was Byron, JESPERI KOTKANIEMI, and Josh Anderson, NOTHING the leafs could put out there past the 1st line could match that.
May 31, 2021 at 10:33 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
he was stuck in his own head, beating himself up over every little mistake and he put WAYYYYY too much pressure on himself to break out of his slump

I disagree, he should have put more pressure on himself.

He does not have a playoff slump.

He is just not the same player in the playoffs as he is in the regular season. In the regular season he's a top 10, borderline top 5 winger in the league.

In the playoffs he's barely a 1st line player.
May 31, 2021 at 11:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
here is my prediction for 2021-2022

Dubas stays as GM but its his last chance to make a statement

Keefe stays coach, Malhotra gets moved to 3rd spot assistant coach and Boudreau gets hired to run the PP.

Rielly and Nylander or Marner are moved

Dubas brings back: Spezza and Hyman

Seattle takes: Kerfoot + Dermott
Jun. 1, 2021 at 6:49 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
here is my prediction for 2021-2022

Dubas stays as GM but its his last chance to make a statement

Keefe stays coach, Malhotra gets moved to 3rd spot assistant coach and Boudreau gets hired to run the PP.

Rielly and Nylander or Marner are moved

Dubas brings back: Spezza and Hyman

Seattle takes: Kerfoot + Dermott

I think dubas is too stubborn to move Nylander or Marner. Could definitely see Reilly leaving though...
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:10 a.m.
2 players cannot win a series, ask the Oilers

2 players can't win. In years past, Leafs Fandom talked about how Anderson is the reason they lost in the playoffs. I had multiple discussions on here, on YouTube, and other places where Leafs fans said they just need a goaltender and they would won. Campbell played great and didn't let up the "soft goals" that supposedly Anderson always gave up and the Leafs still lost.

People now make Marner the whipping boy but here are some other facts.

Matthews: 4 points in 9 total elimination games, same as Marner. 5 points in this 7 game series, 3 of which came in game 2 leaving two points in the other 6 games. Zero shot attempts in the first period, 2 shots total in Game 7. 32 playoff games, 24 points (Marner has 25 in 32).

Neither Matthews nor Marner are the only ones at fault. It's a collective fault with these two and others. Both choke in big games.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:22 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
But it was just extremely painful to watch him.

He did not score for one. But without the puck he was horrible. He gave up so many turnovers.

Everyone struggles sometimes. But when you have the 3rd most points in the regular season you should not have a 17 game goal drought. That's not struggling, it's showing you are not a playoffs performer.

I don't want to hate on Marner, I realize it's probably really hard on him. I feel really sorry for him. But he has to be better. He just does. Or he needs to be traded.

When you score 40 in a 56 game season, you should score more than 1 in a 7 game series. Matthews really didnt look any better. Yes, Marner had some very bad turnovers, but Matthews has not shown up ever when the team needs him most. Didn't even have a shot attempt in the first period and only two shots on goal in game 7. 3 of his 5 points came in one game. Matthews looked like he was afraid out there. More specifically, afraid to fail. 4 points in 9 elimination games in his career. People can talk about how without Tavares him and Marner had zero depth, but that's no excuse for the last two seasons. Someone needs to be traded, but who will take that 10.903 cap hit? No clue. Matthews needs to push harder though.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Save Ukrane, end war
Quoting: mondo
No.

I know on CapFriendly the thing to do is go after the glasses nerd, but this loss wasn't on him. Well, mostly not on him. He's made a ton of great acquisitions to actually get the team to this point. I don't think he counted on the Rocket Richard winner and his teammate who had more points than him being absolutely useless in the playoffs.

I agree with most of what you said but I wouldn't say they were completely useless. Matthews had a ton of shots and many of them great scoring chances. He also was throwing the body more than in the season and overall I'd say he was playing with a pretty good level of compete. Marner, although he's unwillingness to take the body is frustrating, I still think he played a solid two-way game and was very effective on the PK. yeah I shot the puck onto my roof in game 6 which was bad but I don't think he deserves all the hate. The biggest issue I saw with the team is lacking an overall team mentality. Like sometimes someone like Willy would finish a check and holy cow we all take notice and it fires him up and creates a turnover and guys feed off it. But then a large portion of the time guys like Thornton or Simmonds or Marner would just do fly bys on the canadians D. The habs mostly played only 4 d for the last two games! If Simmonds or Thornton aren't throwing the body and punishing the D, then why are they even in the lineup?? This series is not to pin on the top two guys, criticize them sure, but every player needs to be held accountable. If there's a silver lining in any of this it's that goaltending and defense wasn't our demise this year.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 12:15 p.m.
Please win the cup
Quoting: jpsnow13
"Danault is not a 1C."
" Price's best years are behind him."
" Montreal lacks star power."
" Weber is a capdump."

So, have we learned something today?

They still lack star power, Leafs star power only showed up with Nylander
Jun. 1, 2021 at 12:39 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: MapleLeafsfan2003
They still lack star power, Leafs star power only showed up with Nylander

If you can beat a team full of "star power" without having any, it might not be so important ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun. 1, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: jpsnow13
If you can beat a team full of "star power" without having any, it might not be so important ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bergevin give danault 12 million dollars challenge
Jun. 1, 2021 at 1:15 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Chopper02
When you score 40 in a 56 game season, you should score more than 1 in a 7 game series. Matthews really didnt look any better. Yes, Marner had some very bad turnovers, but Matthews has not shown up ever when the team needs him most. Didn't even have a shot attempt in the first period and only two shots on goal in game 7. 3 of his 5 points came in one game. Matthews looked like he was afraid out there. More specifically, afraid to fail. 4 points in 9 elimination games in his career. People can talk about how without Tavares him and Marner had zero depth, but that's no excuse for the last two seasons. Someone needs to be traded, but who will take that 10.903 cap hit? No clue. Matthews needs to push harder though.

Matthews was also very bad.

Marner was worse, because he didn't play at all whereas Matthews actually played defense.

But I understand what you mean.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 3:36 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I took a break after our choke job.
Had to.

Cool and calm thinking here, you have make a change somewhere and send clear message.

To me the fall guy should be Rielly.
He has been a leader on this team for years and is likely on his way out in another year.

You cant roll it back with the same exact core, that sends that exact wrong message.

And it is time to move on from Andersen.
Campbell shown he is good enough, get a 1B goalie.

Hyman, I feel if we pay him... it will be for past results.
Dont feel he will age well.

My replacement candidates are Janmark and Coleman.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 4:15 p.m.
Quoting: Trickster
I took a break after our choke job.
Had to.

Cool and calm thinking here, you have make a change somewhere and send clear message.

To me the fall guy should be Rielly.
He has been a leader on this team for years and is likely on his way out in another year.

You cant roll it back with the same exact core, that sends that exact wrong message.

And it is time to move on from Andersen.
Campbell shown he is good enough, get a 1B goalie.

Hyman, I feel if we pay him... it will be for past results.
Dont feel he will age well.

My replacement candidates are Janmark and Coleman.

Agree with this except Hyman. My gut says he stays a leaf long term. He’s said he loves the city and is willing to take a discount. Idk how true that rumour of him turning down 5mil is, doesn’t seem like his character....
Jun. 4, 2021 at 4:19 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Agree with this except Hyman. My gut says he stays a leaf long term. He’s said he loves the city and is willing to take a discount. Idk how true that rumour of him turning down 5mil is, doesn’t seem like his character....

Thing is 4 million is probably a discount .
Let's say the term is 4 or 5 years.

How will he be in year 3 and onward?
Probably not worth 4 million
oneX and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 4:38 p.m.

So I was a big Hyman supporter when it was not very trendy to be such a supporter. That said, this recent playoffs performance and the one in the Columbus series left a lot to be desired.

I understand he was coming off an injury in both scenarios, but for a team that desperately needed playoff round wins, his performance was just ordinary.

You know what happens to players and teams that have just ordinary performances? They get eliminated.

I really do think Hyman is a good team oriented player, I also fear he won't age well especially with the recent injuries.
Trickster and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 11:28 p.m.
Hey @palhal and @Sign_em_up000000 , what are your thoughts on Hyman's performance in these playoffs and the Columbus series?

I'm curious to see if I'm the only one thinking he was just ordinary.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 11:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: oneX
Hey @palhal and @Sign_em_up000000 , what are your thoughts on Hyman's performance in these playoffs and the Columbus series?

I really can't remember the Columbus series. I thought Hyman was one of the better Leaf forwards against Montreal. But looking at the stats he has just one point, a goal in the Habs series. I'm surprised.
Jun. 5, 2021 at 12:50 p.m.
Quoting: oneX

I don't recall the Columbus series that well anymore but I thought he was good in the Montreal series or at least did a lot of little things right. Going forward I'd offer him 4.5×6 and tell him that's the best we're going to do, or in other words thanks for everything, go get paid you deserve it but it won't be more from us. It's going to be difficult to replace him but we don't have much of a choice.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 5, 2021 at 1:10 p.m.
Thing is 4 million is probably a discount .
Let's say the term is 4 or 5 years.

How will he be in year 3 and onward?
Probably not worth 4 million

Hyman has been a great foot solider for us but the reason why he's been so valuable is because he was on a value contract if he signs for more than that he will become the next scapegoat and it will only get worse as he ages IMO.
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 5, 2021 at 6:45 p.m.
Habs 3rd line was Byron, JESPERI KOTKANIEMI, and Josh Anderson, NOTHING the leafs could put out there past the 1st line could match that.

they could have easily matched it if Tavares hadn't been hurt.
Sign_em_up000000 and oneX liked this.
Jun. 5, 2021 at 8:24 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Hyman has been a great foot solider for us but the reason why he's been so valuable is because he was on a value contract if he signs for more than that he will become the next scapegoat and it will only get worse as he ages IMO.

I like Janmark and Coleman as replacements and feel they can be signed off less than Hyman.
Sign_em_up000000 and oneX liked this.
Jun. 6, 2021 at 10:51 a.m.
I like Janmark and Coleman as replacements and feel they can be signed off less than Hyman.

Those 2 would be very good options IMO. I've liked and followed Janmark since he was with Detroit and continued too follow him after he was traded to the stars. I've taken a lot of flack over the years because he wasn't viewed as a good option because he didn't score enough, but I like him because of his speed and defensive abilities. I think he'd fit like a glove on this team, that being said what do you think he signs for?
Trickster and oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll