SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Maple Leaf Fans Wake UP

May 31, 2021 at 10:55 p.m.
Quoting: TrueCanuck
LOL

You've listed nothing of the same variety. You mention losing a captain, that's the only thing that was similar in your statement. Tavares is far more important to Toronto than Stamkos is to Tampa (not saying who's better, saying who's more important). It's about importance to a team. & when Tampa is loaded with depth (again they moved Stamkos to the wing for that playoffs and had 3 other centres play over Stamkos - those were Point, Cirelli, and Gourde). So yes, if a team has 2 top 6 calibre centres playing in their bottom 6 already, they might be able to sustain overcoming that big of an injury.

You want a comparable from Tampa in terms of importance to their team? Look at what happened when they lost Hedman to injury the year before after being the best team in league history.. they got swept. That's how important some players are to teams and that's the level of Tavares' importance to the team.

Tavares is not anywhere close to Hedman. Tavares plays 2C with 2C minutes. If you have Matthews and Marner combing for 1 goal what does that have to do with Tavares, he doesn't even play on the same line with them. And on the PP, it was already stagnant for most of the year with Tavares on it. These excuses will keep Toronto from succeeding and when they feed us this excuse, which they will, if the fans just eat it again, they're going to continue. Dubas screwed up this team by signing 4 forwards for half the cap, and now its a flat cap. He didn't know it was going to happen, but since no other team in the league has done that, it's on him.
ALjet12 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
May 31, 2021 at 10:57 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: Saskleaf
Stamkos.....

Like I said to the other user; the amount of value that Tavares provides to Toronto is far greater than what Stamkos provides to Tampa. & that's why Tampa could afford to lose Stamkos and win, but Toronto could never afford to lose Tavares and win a cup. Tampa has 3 guys that can fill in for Stamkos, Toronto has 0 that can fill in for Tavares.
May 31, 2021 at 10:59 p.m.
Roster Architect
Quoting: GarthBrooks
Tavares is not anywhere close to Hedman. Tavares plays 2C with 2C minutes. If you have Matthews and Marner combing for 1 goal what does that have to do with Tavares, he doesn't even play on the same line with them. And on the PP, it was already stagnant for most of the year with Tavares on it. These excuses will keep Toronto from succeeding and when they feed us this excuse, which they will, if the fans just eat it again, they're going to continue. Dubas screwed up this team by signing 4 forwards for half the cap, and now its a flat cap. He didn't know it was going to happen, but since no other team in the league has done that, it's on him.

The value, or importance of Tavares to the Leafs is similar to Hedman to Tampa. It has nothing to do with skill.
GarthBrooks liked this.
May 31, 2021 at 11:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: jpsnow13
I totally agree. Defense wins championships. You need a decent shutdown bottom 6. A reliable top 4. A proven goalie.

Also, stop predicting the Stanley Cup to a team who only offered evidence of beeing unable to win a round. PLZ.

not defense

Goaltending

look at Nashville Saros almost won them that series
Minnesota Talbot shutout Vegas twice and if Minissota had more offense I have a feeling things would have ended differently.

leafs have the goaltending but the core guys did not show up. Dubas will have to take a serious look at the core as something needs to give.
May 31, 2021 at 11:47 p.m.
Go leafs go
Like I said to the other user; the amount of value that Tavares provides to Toronto is far greater than what Stamkos provides to Tampa. & that's why Tampa could afford to lose Stamkos and win, but Toronto could never afford to lose Tavares and win a cup. Tampa has 3 guys that can fill in for Stamkos, Toronto has 0 that can fill in for Tavares.

Kerfoot filled in for Tavares perfectly fine.

He wasn't Tavares, but he was one of the leafs best players and was a perfectly fine 2c.

If M and M were actually playing in the playoffs, this team had the ability to go somewhere without Tavares with how Nylander and Kerfoot were stepping up.

I'm not saying Tavares isn't important to this team. But good teams can overcome injures like that. Toronto is not a good team.
May 31, 2021 at 11:55 p.m.
Roster Architect
Kerfoot filled in for Tavares perfectly fine.

He wasn't Tavares, but he was one of the leafs best players and was a perfectly fine 2c.

If M and M were actually playing in the playoffs, this team had the ability to go somewhere without Tavares with how Nylander and Kerfoot were stepping up.

I'm not saying Tavares isn't important to this team. But good teams can overcome injures like that. Toronto is not a good team.

I'm not saying they were good. But Kerfoot being "perfectly fine" still is no where close to Tavares. Tavares is an elite centre and a constant scoring threat. When he's in the lineup, it opens the lineup up for scoring chances because teams can't solely focus on 1 line - they have 3 lines to watch out for. Moving Kerfoot into that spot creates a 1 line team. No team is winning a cup with a 1 line team. No team. Tampa could overcome it because they have the depth. The have 3 guys that can step in to play a top 6 centre role and not miss a beat. But the drop off from Tavares to Kerfoot is far, far greater than Stamkos to anyone of Cirelli, Gourde, or Point. Kerfoot is not a top 6 option. Doesn't matter how well he played, he doesn't have the skills of a top 6 player. Tampa has many more players that have those skills for that role. No matter what you say, you need to realize that the importance of Tavares in the lineup opens the Leafs up to who they're supposed to be. Without him, Toronto is nothing more than what Edmonton is - which is a 1 line team. That's not a championship type team. No team built like that is a championship calibre team.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 12:14 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: aadoyle
not defense

Goaltending

look at Nashville Saros almost won them that series
Minnesota Talbot shutout Vegas twice and if Minissota had more offense I have a feeling things would have ended differently.

leafs have the goaltending but the core guys did not show up. Dubas will have to take a serious look at the core as something needs to give.

Are you not realizing you are talking about Minnesota and Nashville, 2 of the deepest Dcore in the league? 2 teams knowned for their disciplined defensive system?

Toronto is far from a Saros away from a deep playoff run.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 1:09 a.m.
ALjet12
I'm not saying they were good. But Kerfoot being "perfectly fine" still is no where close to Tavares. Tavares is an elite centre and a constant scoring threat. When he's in the lineup, it opens the lineup up for scoring chances because teams can't.
solely focus on 1 line - they have 3 lines to watch out for. Moving Kerfoot into that spot creates a 1 line team. No team is winning a cup with a 1 line team. No team. Tampa could overcome it because they have the depth.

The have 3 guys that can step in to play a top 6 centre role and not miss a beat. But the drop off from Tavares to Kerfoot is far, far greater than Stamkos to anyone of Cirelli, Gourde, or Point. Kerfoot is not a top 6 option. Doesn't matter how well he played, he doesn't have the skills of a top 6 player. Tampa has many more players
that have those skills for that role. No matter what you say, you need to realize that the importance of Tavares in the lineup opens the Leafs up to who they're supposed to be. Without him, Toronto is nothing more than what Edmonton is - which is a 1 line team. That's not a championship type team. No team built like that is a championship calibre team.

I'm not saying they were good. But Kerfoot being "perfectly fine" still is no where close to Tavares. Tavares is an elite centre and a constant scoring threat. When he's in the lineup, it opens the lineup up for scoring chances because teams can't solely focus on 1 line - they have 3 lines to watch out for. Moving Kerfoot into that spot creates a 1 line team. No team is winning a cup with a 1 line team. No team. Tampa could overcome it because they have the depth. The have 3 guys that can step in to play a top 6 centre role and not miss a beat. But the drop off from Tavares to Kerfoot is far, far greater than Stamkos to anyone of Cirelli, Gourde, or Point. Kerfoot is not a top 6 option. Doesn't matter how well he played, he doesn't have the skills of a top 6 player. Tampa has many more players that have those skills for that role. No matter what you say, you need to realize that the importance of Tavares in the lineup opens the Leafs up to who they're supposed to be. Without him, Toronto is nothing more than what Edmonton is - which is a 1 line team. That's not a championship type team. No team built like that is a championship calibre team.

If Tavares is so essential in winning 1.) how did the Leafs win Game 2,3,4 without him and 2.)lose last year to Columbus with Tarvares in the lineup
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 2:23 p.m.
Go leafs go

Why is Tyler Johnson or Yanni Gourde a capable player to fill Stamkos' place on the team but Kerfoot is not capable of filling Tavares'?
Jun. 1, 2021 at 3:04 p.m.
Roster Architect
Why is Tyler Johnson or Yanni Gourde a capable player to fill Stamkos' place on the team but Kerfoot is not capable of filling Tavares'?

Offensive scoring ability. Kerfoot's been a 30 point guy in Toronto. Nothing special. Both Gourde and Johnson have seasons over 50 points. Kerfoot is not a top 6 player at all. At least Johnson and Gourde are a decent scoring threat.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 4:55 p.m.
Please win the cup
Offensive scoring ability. Kerfoot's been a 30 point guy in Toronto. Nothing special. Both Gourde and Johnson have seasons over 50 points. Kerfoot is not a top 6 player at all. At least Johnson and Gourde are a decent scoring threat.

I agree he's not a top six, but definitely Middle 6. He can play on the top end of the middle 6, but he's not a top 6 player.
TrueCanuck and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 10:55 p.m.
Go leafs go

Wait, let me clarify.

Are you arguing that they wouldn’t win the cup without Tavares? Because in that case I agree.

But they should have beat Montreal.
TrueCanuck liked this.
Jun. 2, 2021 at 9:15 a.m.
Roster Architect
Wait, let me clarify.

Are you arguing that they wouldn’t win the cup without Tavares? Because in that case I agree.

But they should have beat Montreal.

Yes. I was saying exactly all of that actually.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 2, 2021 at 1:31 p.m.
1967 Forever
1967 FOREVER...and EVER
Jun. 2, 2021 at 2:45 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Leafsstink
1967 FOREVER...and EVER

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option