Forums/Armchair-GM

Campbell isnt the Leafs problem

Created by: Wreckless
Team: 2020-21 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 1, 2021
Published: Jun. 1, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No he was never going to be as good as Price. That was obvious to anyone with half a brain who understands that goaltending is more than statistics. (Here’s looking at you Mark Masters)
But I, for one, completely appreciate how honest the kid is, how accountable he was...
THAT, Leaf fans, is a role model. He’s young (in terms of experience), and he should get better.

Contrast that with Mitch Marner who, along with his agent, demanded to be grossly overpaid (a little reminiscent of Subban), because he’s able to produce points alongside one of the elite talents in the League named Austin Matthews (as could most talented players). Who publicly whined about Mike Babcock.
Leafs media needs to stop talking about those two players in the same sentence as if they’re somehow equivalent.

Austin Matthews is one of the best players in the league. He would fetch a king’s ransom in return even at his cap hit.
Mitch Marner with zero goals in 18 straight playoff games who, unless you retain salary or take a bad contract in return, is basically untradeable.

Dubas should have let him walk and taken the picks when he threatened his team with an offer sheet. Now you won’t even get that value of draft picks in return and you’re probably stuck with his overinflated cap hit (and overinflated ego).

But the gen Z GM apparently thinks the way you build a winner is by coddling gen Z players.
Last time I checked, “the influence of too much coddling is still stronger than the wrath of the disappointed.”

Dubas needs to go. But man, does he ever have a massive army of apologists who support him. Absolutely fascinating to watch from the outside.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$83,993,908$0$0-$2,493,908
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 5
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 4
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 2
$874,125$874,125
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000 ($1,675,000$2M$1,675,000$2M)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
LD
UFA - 1
$1,375,000$1,375,000 ($300,000$300K$300,000$300K)
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 1, 2021 at 7:52 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
It's really strange not blaming the losses on bad goals against. Campbell did nothing but good things, happy to have him back next year.
TheOriginalDuster liked this.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 7:55 a.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: Ritzy
It's really strange not blaming the losses on bad goals against. Campbell did nothing but good things, happy to have him back next year.

(in my opinion) He gave up some bad goals at times, is somewhat shaky with rebound control, and his reaction time isn’t the best (although his positioning is generally excellent). But all in all, he was generally pretty solid, and without question, an absolute bargain at his cap hit.

I would be proud to have him as a Leaf if I was a Leafs fan. He will get better.
TheOriginalDuster liked this.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:07 a.m.
100% agree on Campbell

I think Dubas should have taken a harder stand on Nylander, Matthews and Marner during the contracts.

Marner is not untradeable and they will not need to retain salary if they wanted to move him. He is a premier playmaker. I agree he's no Mathews but he is an elite talent
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:10 a.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: kous
100% agree on Campbell

I think Dubas should have taken a harder stand on Nylander, Matthews and Marner during the contracts.

Marner is not untradeable and they will not need to retain salary if they wanted to move him. He is a premier playmaker. I agree he's no Mathews but he is an elite talent

I’ll hear you out, what team rights now do you think would make a pitch for Marner, and what could the offer look like? The flat cap for multiple years going forward cannot be understated.

Alex Galchenyuk was a 3rd overall elite talent and he’s making $1.05mm on your team. Being just “an elite talent” isn’t enough anymore.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:19 a.m.
This teams got basically a 3 year window cause Matthews and Nylander are UFAs. The year after Tavares and Marner are up. Some GMs sign RFAs with bridge deals so they’re still RFAs at the end (Point, Barzal, Werenski, McAvoy), some sign them long term till for the full 7 yrs, then there’s Dubas. There’s no guarantee any of them will stay in Toronto. Congrats
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:21 a.m.
100% agree on Campbell

There’s no point teams are going to have to send a big contract back. How many teams have a free 10 mil of cap space. Send him to the moon
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:25 a.m.
Hockey Expert
Dubas is not the problem. He built the best leafs team we have seen in a long time and gave them all of the assets they needed to win. Its a locker room problem, and the best way to fix that is by bringing in a coach that is going to set the players straight. I do not at all believe Keefe deserves to be fired, I just don't think he is the coach to change the attitude in the locker room. I want Torts.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:25 a.m.
Quoting: Wreckless
I’ll hear you out, what team rights now do you think would make a pitch for Marner, and what could the offer look like? The flat cap for multiple years going forward cannot be understated.

Alex Galchenyuk was a 3rd overall elite talent and he’s making $1.05mm on your team. Being just “an elite talent” isn’t enough anymore.

You can't compare Galchenyuk to Marner.

Marner produces. He is someone you need on a contender. I think what everyone seems to forget is he is still only 24 years old with his prime in front of him

The issue is that Dubas has a fantasy that a finesse team can win the cup. The NHL reality is you need to be tough and dirty to win.

The Leafs need to get nastier on the back end and on wings. Our 3rd or 4th line need to be able to hit.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:30 a.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: GarthBrooks
There’s no point teams are going to have to send a big contract back. How many teams have a free 10 mil of cap space. Send him to the moon

The point is you can better use (i.e. need) an overpaid D on your roster more than an overpaid playmaker. So a trade would definitely make sense to me.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:35 a.m.
Wreckless
You can't compare Galchenyuk to Marner.

Marner produces. He is someone you need on a contender. I think what everyone seems to forget is he is still only 24 years old with his prime in front of him

The issue is that Dubas has a fantasy that a finesse team can win the cup. The NHL reality is you need to be tough and dirty to win.

The Leafs need to get nastier on the back end and on wings. Our 3rd or 4th line need to be able to hit.

Elite playmaker. Highly skilled. Great passer. Great vision. Decent shot. High draft pick. Proned to defensive blunders. Similar age. Has this aura of at times looking like a whiner and a spoiled child. Produces elite numbers when he plays with elite players...

Cant compare them? I disagree. Are the equal? Of course not. But you’re telling me that Marner is worth more than $9.5mm over than Galchenyuk? More than 10x Galchenyuk’s salary?

I’d put Galchenyuk on Matthews’ wing, trade Marner (with the goal of cap space, not return) and use the cap space to overpay Dougie Hamilton.
Cuz for me, if the team’s trying to win:
Matthews playing with Galchenyuk AND Dougie Hamilton >>> Matthews playing with Marner AND a giant hole at right D.

Cap space matters now more than ever. Dubas will have learned that lesson the hard way. Remains to be seen if he still has a job in a week.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:42 a.m.
Elite playmaker. Highly skilled. Great passer. Great vision. Decent shot. High draft pick. Proned to defensive blunders. Similar age. Has this aura of at times looking like a whiner and a spoiled child. Produces elite numbers when he plays with elite players...

Cant compare them? I disagree. Are the equal? Of course not. But you’re telling me that Marner is worth more than $9.5mm over than Galchenyuk? More than 10x Galchenyuk’s salary?

I’d put Galchenyuk on Matthews’ wing, trade Marner (with the goal of cap space, not return) and use the cap space to overpay Dougie Hamilton.
Cuz for me, if the team’s trying to win:
Matthews playing with Galchenyuk AND Dougie Hamilton >>> Matthews playing with Marner AND a giant hole at right D.

Cap space matters now more than ever. Dubas will have learned that lesson the hard way. Remains to be seen if he still has a job in a week.

I would rather have him on the Leaf's than not even at his salary. Is he overpaid? Yes but is he on a bad contact? NO

The Leaf's are in a position where many teams have been before. Great regular season team bit not a playoff team. They need to tweak this team not overhaul it.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:47 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
How about never signing John Tavares to an 11mil contract when you already had a great young core to build around. That cap hit is why they could never add to the Dcore or having secondary scoring. It’s why you see so many Marner trades right now (yes, he has had terrible playoffs) but also his cap hit. But he is only 24 and is still a really good player.

The Dubas plan to have 4 FWDs making over 40mil dollars has failed. Plain and simple. He did everything you could want to change this group, new coach, new goalie, new RD, vet leadership, and still a first round exit.

And even with a healthy JT, like the Leafs had last year against CLB, guess what, the Leafs could not score and had no depth. There is the real problem.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:51 a.m.
Wreckless
I would rather have him on the Leaf's than not even at his salary. Is he overpaid? Yes but is he on a bad contact? NO

The Leaf's are in a position where many teams have been before. Great regular season team bit not a playoff team. They need to tweak this team not overhaul it.

“They need to tweak this team not overhaul it.”

Sounds familiar.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 8:57 a.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
How about never signing John Tavares to an 11mil contract when you already had a great young core to build around. That cap hit is why they could never add to the Dcore or having secondary scoring. It’s why you see so many Marner trades right now (yes, he has had terrible playoffs) but also his cap hit. But he is only 24 and is still a really good player.

The Dubas plan to have 4 FWDs making over 40mil dollars has failed. Plain and simple. He did everything you could want to change this group, new coach, new goalie, new RD, vet leadership, and still a first round exit.

And even with a healthy JT, like the Leafs had last year against CLB, guess what, the Leafs could not score and had no depth. There is the real problem.

There’s more scarcity value at center than on the wing, but regardless of what the perception is of relative value on your team between Marner and Tavares, three letters: NMC. So there’s nothing you could do about that now even if you wanted to. Not much utility in dedicating headspace to impossibilities, imo.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 9:04 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
There’s more scarcity value at center than on the wing, but regardless of what the perception is of relative value on your team between Marner and Tavares, three letters: NMC. So there’s nothing you could do about that now even if you wanted to. Not much utility in dedicating headspace to impossibilities, imo.

No ****, I know we are stuck with him. My point was Dubas plan to have this much cap space to 4 FWDs is why they are in this position today. It will be a shame if they trade away a 24 year old winger simply for cap space. Does he need to be better come playoff time, absolutely, but he is still young.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 9:11 a.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: LeafsfanMathews
No ****, I know we are stuck with him. My point was Dubas plan to have this much cap space to 4 FWDs is why they are in this position today. It will be a shame if they trade away a 24 year old winger simply for cap space. Does he need to be better come playoff time, absolutely, but he is still young.

When Subban overreached, Bergevin knew he was going to trade him before his NMC kicked in. Ended up being one of the best trades in the NHL in the past decade.
Remains to be seen if Dubas has the cojones (or if he’ll still have the post) to do what he needs to do.

I just realized something though, I’m wrong about untradeable. Most of his cash will already be paid out after his signing bonus this off-season.
Did someone say Mr. Melnick penny pincher?
Jun. 1, 2021 at 9:14 a.m.
Barzals skateblade
Quoting: revaze15
Dubas is not the problem. He built the best leafs team we have seen in a long time and gave them all of the assets they needed to win. Its a locker room problem, and the best way to fix that is by bringing in a coach that is going to set the players straight. I do not at all believe Keefe deserves to be fired, I just don't think he is the coach to change the attitude in the locker room. I want Torts.

Honestly, not a bad idea. I think Edmonton wants him too though. The Matthews goal numbers would go down in the regular season but I think come playoff time they'll be better still with the option to let Matthews loose.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 9:22 a.m.
100% agree on Campbell

Leafs should not retain, take a lesser return and save as much of that 11m for cap space to sign 5-6M 20g-50P middle 6 depth players as they can, that is what they need, DEPTH
Jun. 1, 2021 at 9:25 a.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: revaze15

The Leafs had the right coach already with Babcock. Then Shanahan bought into these myths sold to him by Gen Z. Weak.
Jun. 1, 2021 at 9:27 a.m.
Wreckless
Quoting: athrin
Leafs should not retain, take a lesser return and save as much of that 11m for cap space to sign 5-6M 20g-50P middle 6 depth players as they can, that is what they need, DEPTH

I now agree, they’ll find a taker from a bad team with a cheap owner. Quite a few trades recently with the Sens, why not one more?

Only $24.8mm cash left to pay on Marner’s contract after his signing bonus gets paid this offseason. That’s $6.2mm a year for 4 years for Marner that Melnyck needs to pay out, including basically nothing next year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll