SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Dubas confirms Matthews and Marner aren’t going anywhere

Jun. 2, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
Personally I think keeping Marner is a big mistake but I’m curious as to what everyone else thinks
Jun. 2, 2021 at 5:10 p.m.
https://twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1400193696038010887?s=21
Jun. 2, 2021 at 5:54 p.m.
torontos finest
Canadiens GM Bergevin insists he’s not shopping Subban
Jun. 2, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
Personally I think keeping Marner is a big mistake but I’m curious as to what everyone else thinks

They also said they would access how the season/playoffs went. Who knows, they may change their minds on who stays and who goes.

My question to Dubas/Shanny would be why weren't there changes to the Power Play knowing what they were doing wasn't working.

Why didn't Nylander, Spezza and Kerfoot get moved to Power Play 1 seeing how well each of these guys played.
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 2, 2021 at 11:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
good

I want this core to win. Not another core where Marner or Nylander were moved but this core with JT, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. To much change means chemistry goes out the window and team will spend to much time adjusting

next year we will most likely see Hallander, Robertson and Liligren graduate. Youth often brings more motivation and who knows Robertson may win the Calder (or is he not illegible anymore I don't know)

Spezza, Simmons and potentially thorton are coming back. Leadership and grit

Freddie could come back. Experienced goalie who we know when healthy is amazing

Hyman could come back. Bleeds blue and white for life
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 2, 2021 at 11:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
They also said they would access how the season/playoffs went. Who knows, they may change their minds on who stays and who goes.

My question to Dubas/Shanny would be why weren't there changes to the Power Play knowing what they were doing wasn't working.

Why didn't Nylander, Spezza and Kerfoot get moved to Power Play 1 seeing how well each of these guys played.

The pp issue was something I could not understand as I have not seen that big of a shift occur within a team

it went from 1st in the NHL the first 20 games to dead garbage. I dont know if it was coaching, Malhotra or some other force but it just seemed strange. I have a feeling it will improve next season or else Malhotra will be looking for another job
oneX and Trickster liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 1:45 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
The pp issue was something I could not understand as I have not seen that big of a shift occur within a team

it went from 1st in the NHL the first 20 games to dead garbage. I dont know if it was coaching, Malhotra or some other force but it just seemed strange. I have a feeling it will improve next season or else Malhotra will be looking for another job

Right, well aren't you a bit cheesed off that the same reason they got rid of Babcock for is the same reason they ended up losing? That being in-game adjustments.

I don't know how one can become a coach in the NHL and not have in-game adjustments. This is just unfathomable for me.
Trickster liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 9:59 a.m.
I wouldn't trade either of them, unless it's for an absolute superstar equivalent to either one of them, and in Toronto's eyes.
BigDaddyOvech liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: aadoyle
good

I want this core to win. Not another core where Marner or Nylander were moved but this core with JT, Matthews, Marner, and Nylander. To much change means chemistry goes out the window and team will spend to much time adjusting

next year we will most likely see Hallander, Robertson and Liligren graduate. Youth often brings more motivation and who knows Robertson may win the Calder (or is he not illegible anymore I don't know)

Spezza, Simmons and potentially thorton are coming back. Leadership and grit

Freddie could come back. Experienced goalie who we know when healthy is amazing

Hyman could come back. Bleeds blue and white for life

I'll preface this by saying as an Oilers' fan, I'm all Dubas all the way. I want the Leafs to succeed because I think they're on the frontier of where this sport should be headed. Keeping the big four together and continuing to address depth is the only meaningful way forward.

I suspect Hallander starts at minimum with the Marlies, especially if Dubas wants to keep him as a pivot as opposed to a LW. His NHLe is only 82GP - 13.325G - 11.275 - 24.600P which misses the cutoff for third-line production (I use 0.33P/GP as a staunch cutoff, and even then I prefer the number being closer to 0.4). Dubas will like the strength that Hallander-Amirov bring to the Marlies. Robertson's NHLe is poised to get close to the half-point-per-game mark and no doubt I expect him to be on the roster as either the #2 or #3LW.

I suspect Liljegren is going to be traded, but I'm not sure what for. Bogosian played really well this year and I can't help but think he'll be one of those value contracts for the Leafs a la Spezza that continues to sign cheap until they've won a cup. I find it damning that he still hasn't been an NHL presence after his D+4 year and suspect the move will be to address the #3C.

Hyman's back without question and a hometown discount at around $4M with lots of term wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know if you bring Simmonds or Thornton back. They didn't accomplish much and weren't as effective as I imagine Dubas had hoped. There has to be better players out there to replace them with. I like Barclay Goodrow on a one-year deal and I think he'd like the fit too. A Goodrow - Brooks - Spezza 4th line is a very good 4th line. Freddie will probably be too cost-prohibitive for the Leafs. I suspect they're in the market for a $2M/2y goaltender to tandem with Campbell. I wonder if an Engvall-Khudobin swap with some retention makes sense for the Leafs. It very much works for the Stars, given their current three-headed goaltending monster.
MapleLeafsfan2003, aadoyle, leaflet and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 3, 2021 at 1:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 3, 2021 at 1:30 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I'll preface this by saying as an Oilers' fan, I'm all Dubas all the way. I want the Leafs to succeed because I think they're on the frontier of where this sport should be headed. Keeping the big four together and continuing to address depth is the only meaningful way forward.

I suspect Hallander starts at minimum with the Marlies, especially if Dubas wants to keep him as a pivot as opposed to a LW. His NHLe is only 82GP - 13.325G - 11.275 - 24.600P which misses the cutoff for third-line production (I use 0.33P/GP as a staunch cutoff, and even then I prefer the number being closer to 0.4). Dubas will like the strength that Hallander-Amirov bring to the Marlies. Robertson's NHLe is poised to get close to the half-point-per-game mark and no doubt I expect him to be on the roster as either the #2 or #3LW.

I suspect Liljegren is going to be traded, but I'm not sure what for. Bogosian played really well this year and I can't help but think he'll be one of those value contracts for the Leafs a la Spezza that continues to sign cheap until they've won a cup. I find it damning that he still hasn't been an NHL presence after his D+4 year and suspect the move will be to address the #3C.

Hyman's back without question and a hometown discount at around $4M with lots of term wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know if you bring Simmonds or Thornton back. They didn't accomplish much and weren't as effective as I imagine Dubas had hoped. There has to be better players out there to replace them with. I like Barclay Goodrow on a one-year deal and I think he'd like the fit too. A Goodrow - Brooks - Spezza 4th line is a very good 4th line. Freddie will probably be too cost-prohibitive for the Leafs. I suspect they're in the market for a $2M/2y goaltender to tandem with Campbell. I wonder if an Engvall-Khudobin swap with some retention makes sense for the Leafs. It very much works for the Stars, given their current three-headed goaltending monster.

honestly all in all its gonna be a big offseason and if Dubas does the same thing he did last year im all for it

If hyman comes back and Robertson graduates one big piece of advice to try

Robertson-Matthews-Marner. Youth give off that competitive spirit and it seems Marner needs some of that along with Matthews

Hyman is an incredible top 6 but I want to create a third line like Goodrow-Gourde-Coleman or Copp-Lowry-Appleton. Something that will piss off other teams top lines

As for goaltending. No idea maybe freddie returns on a 1 year prove it deal. Maybe Reimer comes back. Maybe Dubas trades for Kuemper who knows

and then we got people complaining about picks. What they forget is Dubas can get the majority of the picks back by trading down in the draft

Lets say we get the 30th pick in the 2nd round, trade to 40th and get a 3rd, take that third get a lower third and a 4th, take that 4th and do the same thing and again and again and before you know it Dubas will draft 2-7th round in no time
Jun. 3, 2021 at 7:14 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

Thanks for saying this. The Oilers and the Leafs were the most exciting teams in Canada this year, and I think it's bad news for the league to see both of them out so early - not to mention a star player leaving on a stretcher on game 1. I'm not interested in that kind of butchery. No offense to Jets and Habs fans, but a series featuring McDavid vs Matthews would have been one of the best the sport has to offer.

I also think Dubas does a good job at evaluating talent and promoting good moral values within the organization. Signing contracts is the only weakness. I don't think 4M for Hyman is a discount - former teammate Connor Brown does a similarly important job at a 3.6M AAV, and there will be fantastic opportunities in this price range and below on the UFA market this summer. I think the field is wide open for Dubas to further improve the roster for next year.
BeterChiarelli, oneX, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 2:04 a.m.
Quoting: leaflet
Thanks for saying this. The Oilers and the Leafs were the most exciting teams in Canada this year, and I think it's bad news for the league to see both of them out so early - not to mention a star player leaving on a stretcher on game 1. I'm not interested in that kind of butchery. No offense to Jets and Habs fans, but a series featuring McDavid vs Matthews would have been one of the best the sport has to offer.

This 1000%
The league is moving to ESPN and TNT starting next season and if the NHL wants to play with the big boys in terms of ratings/revenue, it's time to turn the page and let the skilled players shine.

There's nothing wrong with clean hitting, I'm all for it but the league needs to prioritize skill over goonery.

I hope ESPN/TNT push this league into relavencey.
Trickster liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll