Forums/Armchair-GM

More conservative offseason with an interesting swap

Created by: brady_t12
Team: 2021-22 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 4, 2021
Published: Jun. 4, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Leason needs to get NHL minutes. He will be a huge boost to bottom 6 scoring and will mesh super well with Hathaway and Dowd on the fourth line. He's big and has a fantastic shot. Dowd's playmaking abilities will shine with a guy like Leason over Hagelin.

It sounds like McMichael is gonna get one more year in the AHL to bulk up and refine his defensive game. Keep him with Hershey and let him be the first call up in case of injury.

Add a draft asset in a trade to swap defensemen with Philly. If Ghost doesn't work out here, his contract only lasts two seasons. Kempny is still here to be swapped in and out with Ghost as necessary.

Give Jensen top 4 minutes (he was our best RHD, arguably second best defenseman overall behind Orlov last season) and give TVR regular minutes in a shutdown role. He has shown he's capable of it. Could be a good partner for Ghost/Kempny.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$10,000,000
2$925,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Pettersson, Emil [Reserve List]
ARI
  1. Hagelin, Carl
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (ARI)
WSH
  1. Gostisbehere, Shayne
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (PHI)
Additional Details:
Why WSH makes this trade:

Gostisbehere has spent a lot of time scratched and in the AHL since his breakout year, but has shown flashes of offense. Laviolette's system employs the defense in the cycle in the offensive zone. He likes defensemen who can generate offense and move the puck. While the caps are a big team and Dillon fits that mold, we need to exchange size for speed and offense. Lack of offense got the caps eliminated.

Second round pick is added because Gostisbehere has a slightly larger cap hit but also less value (imo). ***Value can be reworked there.*** As well, his contract ends at the same time as Fehervary, McMichael, Alexyev, and Lapierre's ELCs, which means we will free up 4.5 million in cap space when we need to sign those guys to bridge deals. Alexyev should be ready for full time NHL minutes by then as well and can take Ghost's spot.
PHI
  1. Dillon, Brenden
Additional Details:
Why PHI makes this trade:

As I've already mentioned, Gostisbehere has spent time in the AHL and as a healthy scratch. Flyers are likely looking to dump his contract. There has been speculation that the Flyer's abrupt and drastic drop off this season came from both a lack of goalie and was also caused in large part by the departure of Niskanen, who provided them with a steady defensive presence on the backend. Gostisbehere does not provide that. Dillon can.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$69,955,428$472,927$165,000$11,544,572
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$9,200,000$9,200,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$10,000,000$10,000,000
LW
UFA - 5
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$791,667$791,667 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$716,667$716,667
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 4, 2021 at 2:18 a.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Adding the second in the ghost trade might be a bit too much but I’d like to hear other caps fans and some flyers fans chime in on it.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 7:06 a.m.
Banned
I'm kind of OK with the PHL trade here. I think if WSH wants to move on from Dillon this might be a path forward.
I also doubt SEA takes Schultz. I've seen enough of him to know he's that bad. Next to Jack Johnson he was the penguins worst defenseman.
I can't see how SEA would take him here. I think they take Vanecek or TVR if DIllon isn't available.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 7:40 a.m.
Edited Jun. 4, 2021 at 10:43 a.m.
Um, you're wrong on the whole Ghost thing (waivers/ahl) and kind of about your analysis on the Flyers woes, but can;t really be bothered to explain what happened and why.... suffice to say that Flyers have too many LD and too many puck rushers and might do that deal, but not by adding a high 2nd.
ALitteral and DirtyDangles liked this.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 8:26 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Caps probably have to add a pick for Seattle to take schultz, there are too many other good options for Seattle. Otherwise, I love the moves made here.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 8:43 a.m.
By a lot of time in the AHL do you mean a 2 game conditioning stint when he was recovering from knee surgery? If so, then absolute loads. I'd rather have Ghost than Dillon 7 days a week. Ghost is younger, shorter contract length, and the difference in $ is negligible.

Dillon is a candidate to come back down to earth; 103+ PDO is not sustainable unless you have MVP-era Hasek in net that somehow I missed (and I'm certain we don't). The premise is that Dillon will step in to be a top-pairing right-handed defenseman to stabilize our d-corps... which is just wrong. See an excerpt from RMNB opining:

"Brenden Dillon appears to be a passenger. Of the top-ten Washington defensive pairings by ice time, when you rank them by shot-attempt percentage, Dillon’s in last (with TVR), 8th (with Carlson), and 7th (with Schultz). If anyone deserves a night off, it’s not 43-year-old Zdeno Chara; it’s Dillon. I am a bit lost as to what he brings to the table right now. Especially when you consider who’s waiting in the wings."
Hammerwise liked this.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 9:42 a.m.
After watching a lot of Caps and Flyers this season I can confidently say Ghost is still a lot better than Dillon. Flyers decline
ALitteral and Hammerwise liked this.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 12:16 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Quoting: Hammerwise
Um, you're wrong on the whole Ghost thing (waivers/ahl) and kind of about your analysis on the Flyers woes, but can;t really be bothered to explain what happened and why.... suffice to say that Flyers have too many LD and too many puck rushers and might do that deal, but not by adding a high 2nd.

Did you just say “I can’t be bothered to explain” and then explained it anyway lmao
Jun. 4, 2021 at 12:21 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Quoting: ALitteral
By a lot of time in the AHL do you mean a 2 game conditioning stint when he was recovering from knee surgery? If so, then absolute loads. I'd rather have Ghost than Dillon 7 days a week. Ghost is younger, shorter contract length, and the difference in $ is negligible.

I mean, for the record, I said he spent a lot of time **scratched** and in the AHL. I wasn’t implying he spent a ton of time in the AHL, but yes he was sent down for a small chunk of the season. And he was on waivers. He did spend a good bit of time scratched on a pretty bad flyers team this year. Dillon is exactly the type of player the Flyers need to stabilize that defensive core. They had it with Niskanen, look where they are now. I’m sure Justin Braun would also love to have Dillon around.

As well, I also said the pick can be reworked. It wasn’t something to get upset about.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 12:23 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Quoting: DH28Hockey
After watching a lot of Caps and Flyers this season I can confidently say Ghost is still a lot better than Dillon. Flyers decline

At what? Generating offense? Yes. Being a defenseman? No. Being physical? No.

The flyers have plenty of offensive guys on the blue line. They need to bring in a strong, physical, defensive defenseman. If they want to get back to the playoffs, they would love a guy like Dillon.
Jun. 4, 2021 at 1:06 p.m.
Quoting: brady_t12
I mean, for the record, I said he spent a lot of time **scratched** and in the AHL. I wasn’t implying he spent a ton of time in the AHL, but yes he was sent down for a small chunk of the season. And he was on waivers. He did spend a good bit of time scratched on a pretty bad flyers team this year. Dillon is exactly the type of player the Flyers need to stabilize that defensive core. They had it with Niskanen, look where they are now. I’m sure Justin Braun would also love to have Dillon around.

As well, I also said the pick can be reworked. It wasn’t something to get upset about.

Okay, here goes.....Firstly keep in mind that Provorov, Sanheim, Gustaffson, Hagg are all LD, As is Ghost.

Ghost was injured and scratched at start of season due to various injuries and then got COVID.

Hart, Sanheim, Myers all regressed and sucked this year.

At a certain point Philly had THREE goaltenders and 8 dmen on roster for an extended time, and forwards like Patrick, Laughton, Lindblom were ailing and hadn;t had a rest. A week or two earlier, Philly had put RD Mark Friedman on waivers and he was claimed by PITTS. To rest a forward, Philly had to put a defenseman on waivers...of the eight on the NHL roster, the most likely to put on waivers and not be claimed was Ghost.

Ghost was not claimed and came back to play 19 mins a night at RD and put himself on pace for a 45+ pt season while playing capable defense (surprise). He never actually went to AHL and never left Philly, it was a paper move that lasted 2 games and about 4 days. Its not like Philly threww him out because he was useless/overpaid. It was a calculated risk, that paid off.

Other than those 2 games on waivers and a suspension, he played almost every game he was healthy for.

Im not adverse to the idea of getting Dillon, who is more of what PHI lacks, just tired of saying that Ghost as a 40+ pt dman has value, but slightly overpaid. Most NHL fans just think hes a cap dump beacuse he was on waivers without actually knowing any of the situation.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll