Forums/Armchair-GM

If the Leafs wanted to move Marner

Created by: Eli
Initial Creation Date: Jun 5, 2021
Published: Jun 5 at 7:10
Team: 2021-22 Washington Capitals
Team Explanation
and if the Caps wanter to move Wilson and Kuznetsov...

Leafs side here: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2447571
although maybe move JT to 1L and go Tavares, Matthews, Wilson, followed by Hyman, Kuznetsov, and Nylander.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Samsonov, Ilya2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Ovechkin, Alex4$10,000,000
Trades
WSH
  1. Marner, Mitchell
  2. Abramov, Mikhail
  3. Liljegren, Timothy
TOR
  1. Kuznetsov, Evgeny
  2. Vanecek, Vitek
  3. Wilson, Tom
WSH
    SEA
    1. Copley, Pheonix
    Additional Details:
    Not the most likely scenario. Just showing that WSH basically has cap space for this move, if they have any interest.
    DRAFT YEARROUND 1ROUND 2ROUND 3ROUND 4ROUND 5ROUND 6ROUND 7
    WSH
    ARI
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    WSH
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES BONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$81,830,927$472,927$132,500-$330,927
    Left WingCenterRight Wing
    WSH
    Ovechkin, Alex
    $10,000,000
    LW, RW
    NMC NTC
    UFA - 5
    WSH
    Bäckström, Nicklas
    $9,200,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    TOR
    Marner, Mitchell
    $10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    WSH
    Mantha, Anthony
    $5,700,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    WSH
    Eller, Lars
    $3,500,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    WSH
    Oshie, T.J.
    $5,750,000
    RW, C
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    WSH
    Sheary, Conor
    $1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    WSH
    Dowd, Nic
    $750,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    WSH
    Sprong, Daniel
    $725,000
    RW
    RFA - 1
    WSH
    Hagelin, Carl
    $2,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    WSH
    McMichael, Connor
    $863,333
    C
    RFA - 3
    WSH
    Hathaway, Garnet
    $1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    WSH
    Pinho, Brian
    $725,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    WSH
    Dillon, Brenden
    $3,900,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    WSH
    Carlson, John
    $8,000,000
    RD
    NTC
    UFA - 5
    WSH
    Samsonov, Ilya
    $1,500,000
    G
    RFA - 1
    WSH
    Orlov, Dmitry
    $5,100,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 2
    WSH
    Schultz, Justin
    $4,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    WSH
    Fucale, Zachary
    $750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    WSH
    Fehérváry, Martin
    $791,667
    LD
    RFA - 2
    WSH
    Jensen, Nick
    $2,500,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    WSH
    van Riemsdyk, Trevor
    $950,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    WSH
    Kempný, Michal
    $2,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun 5 at 7:14
    Absolute legend
    TOR would lose Vanecek to Seattle, so I don't see huge interest from their side.
    tsyls liked this.
    Jun 5 at 7:26
    Who adds what?
    Edited Jun 5 at 7:41
    Quoting: justaBoss
    TOR would lose Vanecek to Seattle, so I don't see huge interest from their side.

Because you think Seattle is touching Campbell with a ten foot pole?

eta: Kerfoot is 26, was on pace for his third 40 pt season, got 6 points in the playoffs this Spring, and is still likely exposed because of cap space. Could be SLE's #2C. Campbell might be the 4th best 29+ year old goalie available to SLE, behind Holtby (with a mid pick in expansion draft), Allen (with a mid pick in expansion draft), and Andersen as a UFA 3G they don't need. Dermott or Holl could also tempt Seattle, but from the Kraken posts I've seen, they'll be deep on defense and thin at center.
    Jun 5 at 7:39
    Absolute legend
    Quoting: Eli
    Because you think Seattle is touching Campbell with a ten foot pole?

No, but because Dubas and majority of TOR fans are balls deep in Campbell after last season.
    Jun 5 at 7:49
    Roster Architect
    Not even considered by Toronto.

Leafs aren't trading a young, top 5 scorer that plays well defensively too for a guy that can't stay out of the leagues suspension office, a declining/overpaid centre with off-ice drug addiction problems, and a dime a dozen goalie. On top of that you want Toronto to add 2 quality prospects? ... easy pass any day of the week.
    Jun 5 at 7:51
    Who adds what?
    No, but because Dubas and majority of TOR fans are (emotionally invested) in Campbell after last season.

Fair enough. And if we're going by how highly Dubas praises guys, Marner is going to retire a Leaf. And so will Liljegren. smile

I kinda see this as a win for Tor, with a top six of JT, AM, Wilson, Hyman, Kuznetsov, Nylander. WSH, above, is missing a #2C until one of their prospects steps up. That could cost them a playoff spot next year, but might make them better, after that?
    Jun 5 at 7:56
    Absolute legend
    Fair enough. And if we're going by how highly Dubas praises guys, Marner is going to retire a Leaf. And so will Liljegren. smile

I kinda see this as a win for Tor, with a top six of JT, AM, Wilson, Hyman, Kuznetsov, Nylander. WSH, above, is missing a #2C until one of their prospects steps up. That could cost them a playoff spot next year, but might make them better, after that?

I see it as a loss for both teams. TOR gets older, lose cap and also take in an asset they'd just lose almost immediately, WSH adds bunch of youth and a playoff loser they really don't need or want as to be fair their latest playoffs runs after the cup win have gone very, very south.
    Eli liked this.
    Jun 5 at 8:54
    Who adds what?
    I see it as a loss for both teams. TOR gets older, lose cap and also take in an asset they'd just lose almost immediately, WSH adds bunch of youth and a playoff loser they really don't need or want as to be fair their latest playoffs runs after the cup win have gone very, very south.

That's a reasonable take. The way I was looking at it is that Tor is a little bit soft and unmotivated, and WSH is kind of old and slow, and they each fix those issues, here, by a lot.
    Jun 5 at 9:00
    Absolute legend
    That's a reasonable take. The way I was looking at it is that Tor is a little bit soft and unmotivated, and WSH is kind of old and slow, and they each fix those issues, here, by a lot.

To be fair imo WSH looked the most unmotivated team in the 2019 bubble playoffs. And Kuzy couldn't manage anything this year either.
    Jun 5 at 9:10
    Who adds what?
    To be fair imo WSH looked the most unmotivated team in the 2019 bubble playoffs. And Kuzy couldn't manage anything this year either.

Yep. When the team doesn't show up, they don't show up together. But in the 2018 playoffs, Kuznetsov and Wilson were pretty good. As for Kuznetsov's 1 point in the series against Boston, Boston's a really good defensive team and Kuznetsov rushed back from CoViD because Eller was injured and the team was auditioning different rookie centers. I could certainly see Toronto deciding to give their home-town kid more chances, if they think he's the guy that drives their success. But if they think he's benefitted from playing with two elite goal scoring centers for years, and JT is starting to decline, then they might try to sell high on Marner while he's riding great offensive totals, and try to turn him into three guys they need: a speedy second line center, a second Zach Hyman, and a starting goalie. But like you said, they'd have to accept the risk of losing Campbell.
    Jun 5 at 9:17
    Absolute legend
    Yep. When the team doesn't show up, they don't show up together. But in the 2018 playoffs, Kuznetsov and Wilson were pretty good. As for Kuznetsov's 1 point in the series against Boston, Boston's a really good defensive team and Kuznetsov rushed back from CoViD because Eller was injured and the team was auditioning different rookie centers. I could certainly see Toronto deciding to give their home-town kid more chances, if they think he's the guy that drives their success. But if they think he's benefitted from playing with two elite goal scoring centers for years, and JT is starting to decline, then they might try to sell high on Marner while he's riding great offensive totals, and try to turn him into three guys they need: a speedy second line center, a second Zach Hyman, and a starting goalie. But like you said, they'd have to accept the risk of losing Campbell.

They'd protect Campbell even with Vanecek in the team.

Also I don't think the 2018 cup performance has much merit in 2022.

Furthermore, after constantly fading in the playoffs, I don't think Leafs are able to sell high on Marner. That contract is just dreadful.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Remove Option
    Submit Poll