what if

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2021-22 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 6, 2021
Published: Jun. 6, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
This is a rough idea here.
The seattle trade would have to be something coming back to the penguins. Not sure if it's future considerations where they help with cap later, or picks, or what. But something needs to come back there.

The COL deal, COL is going to probably lose him anyway, they get a 2nd for him out of the west.
EDM probably takes that. IT works well for both teams.
AZ will probably need defensemen. Matheson has been solid. Riikola is kind of a throw in. Just one to many bodies over here and since they need defense he slides over. He's a nothing of a cap hit and they can bury him in the AHL if they need to. Maybe he's their 7th guy or let him be their 3LD who knows.

The NY trade I think would work out well. The penguins aren't giving up a ton for that contract, for obvious reasons. But I think Kreider would be a good fit for what they need.

This roster gives the team a little bit of not putting up with your shyt.
Which is exactly what they need. While still playing fast and skilled hockey.
I think it kind of hits that perfect blend.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
3$2,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,500,000
2$2,000,000
Trades
COL
  1. 2021 2nd round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. 2022 2nd round pick (EDM)
PIT
  1. Kreider, Chris ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
look not sure what this would look like, but the penguins aren't giving up a ton here for obvious reasons of that contract.
NYR
  1. 2022 4th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. 2021 5th round pick (ARI)
Additional Details:
penguins need to make room.
PIT
  1. Crouse, Lawson
Additional Details:
AZ needs defense. They got two guys signed in Chychrun, and OEL and they wanted to move OEL last year. Might happen this year.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$77,241,364$0$0$4,258,636
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 3
$2,636,364$2,636,364
RW, C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$1,533,333$1,533,333
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
G
UFA - 2
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$3,166,667$3,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$4,400,000$4,400,000
RD
UFA - 6
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 6, 2021 at 7:41 p.m.
Avs decline, for the 100th time they aren’t trading anyone before the XD, they can’t and it doesn’t help them
Jun. 6, 2021 at 7:51 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: coga16
Avs decline, for the 100th time they aren’t trading anyone before the XD, they can’t and it doesn’t help them

maybe, maybe not.
Look Avs gonna have a lot of cap on that blueline. Too much they just got to many players back there. Someone is gonna go.
Even if they don't trade him, Maybe he's the piece coming back from Seattle at this point.
The only thing COL can do is make a deal. But that doesn't really help them as the blueline is packed with bigger contracts. You got Makar gonna get paid, Toews, Girard you got Byram coming in and Timmins.
They are packed on the LD, someone's gonna get moved. They can't protect forwards as they are already at 4 and 4 and got no room. It just looks like a good move.
Jun. 6, 2021 at 8:04 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
maybe, maybe not.
Look Avs gonna have a lot of cap on that blueline. Too much they just got to many players back there. Someone is gonna go.
Even if they don't trade him, Maybe he's the piece coming back from Seattle at this point.
The only thing COL can do is make a deal. But that doesn't really help them as the blueline is packed with bigger contracts. You got Makar gonna get paid, Toews, Girard you got Byram coming in and Timmins.
They are packed on the LD, someone's gonna get moved. They can't protect forwards as they are already at 4 and 4 and got no room. It just looks like a good move.

Trading anyone before the XD means they lose another good player

So what’s worse losing graves only or losing donskoi and trading away graves for nothing that helps their roster

So now they created 2 holes in their roster. Like I said they are not moving anyone before the XD, plus there are exposure requirements and they need graves for that

Avs are going 7-3-1, not 4-4
Jun. 6, 2021 at 8:29 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: coga16
Trading anyone before the XD means they lose another good player

So what’s worse losing graves only or losing donskoi and trading away graves for nothing that helps their roster

So now they created 2 holes in their roster. Like I said they are not moving anyone before the XD, plus there are exposure requirements and they need graves for that

Avs are going 7-3-1, not 4-4

I don't see this as true. Some loses are not as bad as others. I also see them going 4-4. I mean if they took Jost and a 2nd I don't think COL cares. Which is better than, say losing anyone you can't protect. So you aren't losing 2 guys, you are gaining the ability to control your loses.
I see them protecting Donskoi for the record.
COL is deep, and truth is, it might be they give up the pick they get back on moving Graves to make sure they lose the guy they want as opposed to just letting SEA have at it and pick a guy they would have rather kept but couldn't. The pick plus the guy they take isn't nearly as bad as them just going at it. .Or as I said, maybe he goes to Seattle, the penguins keep their pick, and Seattle sends him over to the penguins.
As I said at the beginning of the post, this is a rough idea.
But I'm not sure I agree with you that trading him doesn't happen. It might be the equivalent of what you have to do anyway. Pay something + lose something, to make sure you don't lose the guy's you want to keep. It's not a clean cut, lose 1 or lose 2 situation for COL. You are most likely losing 2 of something. It's just what two and how do you control that loss.
Jun. 6, 2021 at 9:41 p.m.
0 chance hextall trades his second this year. they need to slowly start building for the future
Jun. 7, 2021 at 1:07 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Pens2000
0 chance hextall trades his second this year. they need to slowly start building for the future

A second isn't going to "save the team" you can just forget that. If they get a younger defenseman with size to win now, that's just fine.
That 2nd round pick is 2-3 years a way. Team will be not be saved by them. It's win now.
Jun. 7, 2021 at 4:18 a.m.
I highly doubt that Seattle would want to unload 9.5m from us, let alone send something back.
Jun. 7, 2021 at 8:12 a.m.
A second isn't going to "save the team" you can just forget that. If they get a younger defenseman with size to win now, that's just fine.
That 2nd round pick is 2-3 years a way. Team will be not be saved by them. It's win now.

good point. i should have added, if its for an impact player. graves is good and i asked an avs fan if a trade for graves started it'd start with mccann
Jun. 7, 2021 at 8:50 a.m.
Banned
good point. i should have added, if its for an impact player. graves is good and i asked an avs fan if a trade for graves started it'd start with mccann

I don't think they can protect McCann if it's before the ED, and if it's after, to be honest, I'm fine with that. I'm shipping him out anyway. We need space to bring in 3 bigger forwards with skill.
Honestly I pegged them both at the same value, 2nd and 2nd. So to me that's just a lateral move.
Jun. 7, 2021 at 8:58 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: mike384
I highly doubt that Seattle would want to unload 9.5m from us, let alone send something back.

that assumption starts with the fact you think they keep both. Seattle will be trading defensemen after the expansion draft or even during it. Because they will create holes on teams on defense, and other teams are already in need of defense and might not like the market or the cost o what will be a pretty large shortage of defensemen.
I'm about certain they take and trade defense this offseason. And Zucker is fine, he's not overly paid for what you get, he's a good guy to have in the locker room etc... I don't see SEA having an issue taking him.
I think the ED is going to look different than other people think. You are going to see SEA making moves to help other people out. You see a team like BOS who has issues on DEF, a team like SEA getting to pick and choose a lot of defensemen, I can see DeBrusk and a prospect or pick heading to SEA for a defensemen. Etc.....
They can help move guys around where the other teams need them to go, that typically wouldn't be on the market.
So be it MP going from PIT to SEA to somewhere else, or Graves going from COL to SEA to PIT, or Kreider going from NY to SEA to PIT or whatever, SEA can influence a lot of moves and I see that happening for a lot of reasons. Especially on guys that don't have long contracts like Zucker, who has 2 years left and SEA might be willing to retain for 1 or 2 years if it helps them with their build.
Jun. 7, 2021 at 10:43 a.m.
I don't think they can protect McCann if it's before the ED, and if it's after, to be honest, I'm fine with that. I'm shipping him out anyway. We need space to bring in 3 bigger forwards with skill.
Honestly I pegged them both at the same value, 2nd and 2nd. So to me that's just a lateral move.

ya good point. mccann is good player but he just isn't the type of player thats useful to the pens at this point. instead of kreider tho i'd go after a guy like coleman or to fulfill the top 6 role beside sid or geno. another idea would be to do zuck for brown with some possible retention. he had a decent year in LA and i think he could have a carter like resurgence playing with jeff or sid.
Jun. 7, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
Banned
ya good point. mccann is good player but he just isn't the type of player thats useful to the pens at this point. instead of kreider tho i'd go after a guy like coleman or to fulfill the top 6 role beside sid or geno. another idea would be to do zuck for brown with some possible retention. he had a decent year in LA and i think he could have a carter like resurgence playing with jeff or sid.

I mean the problem with coleman is it's lateral. He's gonna be 30, He's 5'11, and a 20 goal scorer. You have that in Zucker. I would argue Zucker is probably the better of those two players to be honest.
That's just not the point of getting Kreider. You get Kreider for what he brings to the team in attitude, in leadership, and being able to throw his weight around.
Jun. 7, 2021 at 11:00 a.m.
I mean the problem with coleman is it's lateral. He's gonna be 30, He's 5'11, and a 20 goal scorer. You have that in Zucker. I would argue Zucker is probably the better of those two players to be honest.
That's just not the point of getting Kreider. You get Kreider for what he brings to the team in attitude, in leadership, and being able to throw his weight around.

i think they'll try and flip mccann for "their" type of winger (big and tough). mccann has tons of potential but he just isn't right in this lineup
Jun. 7, 2021 at 11:06 a.m.
Banned
i think they'll try and flip mccann for "their" type of winger (big and tough). mccann has tons of potential but he just isn't right in this lineup

McCann has had tons of potential for like 3-4 years now. His issue is he's never really figured out how to put it together. The more I watch him play the more that becomes apparent. He just lacks the "it" factor. He has the speed, he has a nice shot, he can even play defense fairly well, and at times is a bit scrappy. But he just can't break through that ceiling and really be an impact guy.
At 6 years in, it is what it is. He's a decent enough player but never really gonna be a guy to put a team over the top.
That's all there is to say on him. They should move him because they need guys who can get in the mud come playoff time. They don't have it. They need it. But they can't just be an old slow goon. They need guys who are fast and contribute. That's a harder thing to come up with.
Pens2000 liked this.
Jun. 7, 2021 at 11:38 a.m.
McCann has had tons of potential for like 3-4 years now. His issue is he's never really figured out how to put it together. The more I watch him play the more that becomes apparent. He just lacks the "it" factor. He has the speed, he has a nice shot, he can even play defense fairly well, and at times is a bit scrappy. But he just can't break through that ceiling and really be an impact guy.
At 6 years in, it is what it is. He's a decent enough player but never really gonna be a guy to put a team over the top.
That's all there is to say on him. They should move him because they need guys who can get in the mud come playoff time. They don't have it. They need it. But they can't just be an old slow goon. They need guys who are fast and contribute. That's a harder thing to come up with.

a guy like greenway comes to mind in terms of age and impact. we'll see what hextall has up his sleeve
Jun. 7, 2021 at 11:43 a.m.
Rangers say yes only bc when they signed Kreider they didnt' expect to get Lafraniere or covid to hit. They also likely use that cap for Buchnevich.
Jun. 7, 2021 at 12:56 p.m.
Banned
a guy like greenway comes to mind in terms of age and impact. we'll see what hextall has up his sleeve

yes greenway could be a guy, but I don't see why MIN moves him.
I can't come up with a scenario where they say, hey, lets dump this 24 year old player that costs like nothing but helps us come playoff time and he's not an anchor. Like I don't see how that matches up.
Especially on a team where Zuccarello is gonna be 34 and ZP is gonna be 37. It just doesn't make much sense to move the younger players you do have.
Pens2000 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll