SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Jun. 30, 2021 at 1:43 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
Smith had better basic & advanced numbers than Campbell. You clearly didn’t watch Edmonton well enough.

Advanced stats aren’t everything, but I respect them
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 5:11 p.m.
WentWughes

This screams Ottawa to me (I know not technically Western Canada) He's owed 4 Million in his last 2 years, it's right up Melnyk's alley.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 5:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 30, 2021 at 5:33 p.m.
So through all accounts Dubas may go through a sort of run it back type offseason and honestly I dont mind it

Now Friedman did mention a new face will be on the leafs on top of Dubas signing a bunch of the previous guys from last season back. Some names that have been linked in trade talks (Garland, Dvorak, Garland could happen)

But mostly the leafs will see the same guys minus Kerfoot and Thorton and that's ok

When Freddie is healthy he is good and having him be the backup for Campbell is good as what if Campbell struggles and Vezina Freddie from 3 years ago shows up.

As for Foligno sure 1 year deal is fine. Cause when healthy we know what he can do with Matthews and Marner.

RN if we go with Foligno and Freddie coming back and Kerfoot going to Seattle

? are spaces available and probs filled via FA or trade

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
?-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-?-Mikheyev
Simmonds-Brooks-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-? (probs Liligren unless traded for a 3c or top 6 wing)

Campbell
Freddie

Extras
Engvall
Semyonov
Rosen (probs)

now my idea is Thorton should do what Williams did. Join the team on the last possible date
Jun. 30, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
Advanced stats aren’t everything, but I respect them

But even if you ignore advanced stats, Smith still has a better save percentage and goals against average.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 5:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

This screams Ottawa to me (I know not technically Western Canada) He's owed 4 Million in his last 2 years, it's right up Melnyk's alley.

Vancouver or Winnipeg is my guesss

Winnipeg especially

Picture

Morrisey-Demelo
Keith-Pionk
Stanley-Forbort
Brian2016 liked this.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 5:38 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

My brother, whose favourite teams are Vancouver and Chicago is hoping that they trade Tyler Myers for Duncan Keith straight up. Which honestly makes quite a bit of sense.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 6:16 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
My brother, whose favourite teams are Vancouver and Chicago is hoping that they trade Tyler Myers for Duncan Keith straight up. Which honestly makes quite a bit of sense.

Quoting: aadoyle
Vancouver or Winnipeg is my guesss

Winnipeg especially

Picture

Morrisey-Demelo
Keith-Pionk
Stanley-Forbort

I was honestly thinking Seattle bound with expansion draft clauses apart of it
Saskleaf and Rangsey liked this.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 6:38 p.m.
So through all accounts Dubas may go through a sort of run it back type offseason and honestly I dont mind it

Now Friedman did mention a new face will be on the leafs on top of Dubas signing a bunch of the previous guys from last season back. Some names that have been linked in trade talks (Garland, Dvorak, Garland could happen)

But mostly the leafs will see the same guys minus Kerfoot and Thorton and that's ok

When Freddie is healthy he is good and having him be the backup for Campbell is good as what if Campbell struggles and Vezina Freddie from 3 years ago shows up.

As for Foligno sure 1 year deal is fine. Cause when healthy we know what he can do with Matthews and Marner.

RN if we go with Foligno and Freddie coming back and Kerfoot going to Seattle

? are spaces available and probs filled via FA or trade

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
?-Tavares-Nylander
Robertson-?-Mikheyev
Simmonds-Brooks-Spezza

Rielly-Brodie
Muzzin-Holl
Sandin-? (probs Liligren unless traded for a 3c or top 6 wing)

Campbell
Freddie

Extras
Engvall
Semyonov
Rosen (probs)

now my idea is Thorton should do what Williams did. Join the team on the last possible date

Do you worry that, with all the collapses, running it back will yield the same result?
Jun. 30, 2021 at 7:35 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: Rangsey
Do you worry that, with all the collapses, running it back will yield the same result?

I mean Tampa ran it back until they got enough talent out of the draft to finally get them over the hump. Sure they lost Miller on the way but I don't think he was ever really a core piece.

I can't see it being anyone beyond Edmonton or Vancouver: Winnipeg is a divisional rival and all Calgary has are LHD. If Klefbom's out-out, then Keith at the right price makes some kind of sense but I would much prefer it be the Canucks. God forbid it ends up being Bear or any other quality piece going back for Keith.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 7:53 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
I mean Tampa ran it back until they got enough talent out of the draft to finally get them over the hump. Sure they lost Miller on the way but I don't think he was ever really a core piece.

I can't see it being anyone beyond Edmonton or Vancouver: Winnipeg is a divisional rival and all Calgary has are LHD. If Klefbom's out-out, then Keith at the right price makes some kind of sense but I would much prefer it be the Canucks. God forbid it ends up being Bear or any other quality piece going back for Keith.

Coleman Goodrow Cernak Bogo Shattenkirk. As much as their core has been consistent they kept tinkering with pieces until it clicked.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 8:05 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Coleman Goodrow Cernak Bogo Shattenkirk. As much as their core has been consistent they kept tinkering with pieces until it clicked.

That's kind of the point I was making? The Leafs shouldn't look to do anything drastic and Tampa winning the cup through the tinkering affirms that.

The Lightning didn't get those names all at the same time: Cernak had been there a minute, Bogosian and Shatty were UFAs, and the Coleman-Goodrow duo were deadline acquisitions. If we give aadoyle the benefit of the doubt and that's the primary roster construction, they're effectively set up identically if we put Brodie in the 'been there a minute' box. Two UFAs and the right kind of deadline piece and there's no reason why the Leafs can't be there.

Dunking on Leafs fans is tons of fun sure but I don't think we should be overlooking just how hard it is to win the cup. Dubas has done most everything right and even his errors really only boil down to cap management (find me a GM that doesn't have this problem). It has to click one day. They're too good for it not to. Said the same thing about Tampa for half a decade.
aadoyle, Rangsey and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 8:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

And thats what Dubas is gonna do. Bring back pieces that worked and add new pieces to do a bit of tinkering

Kerfoot, Engvall and probs another guy will be out

A new 3c, top 6 LW and maybe top 4 RD will be brought in

cause rn there is no need for major change. If the big 4 stay healthy and dont show up the team goes far.
Rangsey liked this.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 8:18 p.m.
And thats what Dubas is gonna do. Bring back pieces that worked and add new pieces to do a bit of tinkering

cause rn there is no need for major change. If the big 4 stay healthy and dont show up the team goes far.

That's kind of the point I was making? The Leafs shouldn't look to do anything drastic and Tampa winning the cup through the tinkering affirms that.

The Lightning didn't get those names all at the same time: Cernak had been there a minute, Bogosian and Shatty were UFAs, and the Coleman-Goodrow duo were deadline acquisitions. If we give aadoyle the benefit of the doubt and that's the primary roster construction, they're effectively set up identically if we put Brodie in the 'been there a minute' box. Two UFAs and the right kind of deadline piece and there's no reason why the Leafs can't be there.

Dunking on Leafs fans is tons of fun sure but I don't think we should be overlooking just how hard it is to win the cup. Dubas has done most everything right and even his errors really only boil down to cap management (find me a GM that doesn't have this problem). It has to click one day. They're too good for it not to. Said the same thing about Tampa for half a decade.

Totally valid. They're a solid lineup. I think it came down to my definition of "run it back"

Does the Toronto lineup have a legit bulldog? Corey Perry type?
Jun. 30, 2021 at 8:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Totally valid. They're a solid lineup. I think it came down to my definition of "run it back"

When wayne simmonds was healthy he was like a bulldog

after he broke his wrist and came back he went from bulldog to a french poodle. All bark no bite so to speak

If he can stay healthy I can see him doing well for us like he did his first 15 games
Jun. 30, 2021 at 8:24 p.m.
Ban Price trades

I'd love to see Mikheyev take on that kind of role: he might have one of the worst shots at the NHL level but does everything else rather well. If he could become a modern-day Esa Tikkanen I think the Leafs could be cooking with gas.
Jun. 30, 2021 at 9:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I'd love to see Mikheyev take on that kind of role: he might have one of the worst shots at the NHL level but does everything else rather well. If he could become a modern-day Esa Tikkanen I think the Leafs could be cooking with gas.

honestly Mikheyev maybe should be the guy playing with Matthews and Marner. This kid is fast like I saw a clip of him and Mcdavid racing for the puck and he won, can beat out icings, and plays a gritty defensive game. His only need would be to get Matthews or Marner the puck and that line is set. Plus just get 30+ points off Matthews scoring goals like crazy. Should be something to honestly consider.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 4:00 a.m.
If RNH is worth, say $6M AAV on the open market, Kuzy has to be worth less. I'm thinking he's worth around $4M AAV. Therefore, WASH will almost certainly have to add picks/prospects in order to trade him away. MIN, like Devil1122 suggests, could be a very intriguing trade partner. However, if the Caps trade Kuzy, they'll certainly look to replace him with another top six C. I don't see Eichel as a realistic option, so I think at the end of the day, WASH keeps Kuzy for another season and hopes he bounces back. Eichel will go to a team with top draft picks and/or prospects, like NYR, ANA, or LAK.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 5:07 a.m.

IMO Kerfoot should be back and maybe let Holl go. Getting a stay at home D man that chips in sometimes might be easier to find than a legit 3C
Jul. 1, 2021 at 11:29 a.m.
WentWughes

Zinger and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
Canes fan

Wow! Never saw that one coming. Guess the Kings are trying to bring in some more talent, skill, and experience to flip the page next season. It's gonna be interesting to see what the package going Nashville's way looks like.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 11:44 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Dzinger18
Wow! Never saw that one coming. Guess the Kings are trying to bring in some more talent, skill, and experience to flip the page next season. It's gonna be interesting to see what the package going Nashville's way looks like.

I'd have to imagine it's futures which makes no sense to me from LA's perspective.
Zinger liked this.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 11:55 a.m.
Jinx god

Finally something entertaining for this offseason.
KSIxSKULLS and Zinger liked this.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 12:02 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jul. 1, 2021 at 12:08 p.m.
People were saying Arvidsson to Toronto

to me the fit was kind of there but its better in LA

Seriously though thought he was going to Edmonton to play with Mcdavid

ALSO LA ROBBED NASHVILLE

Zinger, EsoYeezus69 and CoopsTroops liked this.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Official: Arvidsson to LA for 2nd and 3rd

Congrats Poile for yet another terrible trade
EsoYeezus69 and Zinger liked this.
Jul. 1, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
Canes fan
wow nashville got robbed

That's so cheap tears of joy What the heck was Poile thinking? I mean, it's still a decent return, but he could've got way more out of Arvidsson.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll