SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Aug. 14, 2021 at 5:07 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Like I said it depends on what they’re looking for.

True
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 5:22 p.m.
Jinx god
Edited Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:27 p.m.
Here are my national teams if any of you were wondering.

Canada: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2709406

USA: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2710875

Sweden: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2716160

Russia: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2716734

Finland: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2716786

Czech: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2716884
Devil liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 5:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I’d go:

Chychrun-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Chabot-(Hamilton or Ekblad depending on team need)
(The one who gets cut between those two)

Last cuts would be Pelech, Toews and Weegar.

I went with

Pelech-Hamilton
Toews-Makar
Chycrun-Pitrangelo

cuts
Spurgeon, Ekblad, Rielly

Cause Pelech is just a beast defensively and Team Canada has a good Dcore but most are not great at 5 on 5 defense especially on the left side. Adding Pelech and Toews balances that problem while not hurting the offense.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 5:43 p.m.
Canes fan
So today I went to the Canes yard sale.

I waited an hour in 95 degree heat to get in, but it was quite nice inside.

Bought a Ryan Dzingel photo for 5 bucks (pretty much my new profile picture but from another angle and more focused)

Bought a couple of T-Shirts

Roamed around and looked at some game used stuff...

MET DON WADDELL

So I was just roaming around looking at some sticks and then all of a sudden DON WADDELL walks up beside me and asks; "Hey, who do you have a photo of there?" and I'm just standing there in pure shock and tell him that it's of Dzingel (hoping he'll bring him back at the TDL).

Then got a picture with him and he seemed like a pretty nice, genuine guy. Chatted to him for a couple minutes, but I just couldn't insult him about signing TDA and trading Ned since he actually seemed quite nice. Did tell him that I liked the Ethan Bear acquisition, though. Anyways, it was a pretty surreal moment for me since despite his rough offseason, I've always idolized him. After all, he was the one who pulled this team out of the trash in 18-19.

Just felt super lucky that I got the opportunity to meet the Don Waddell.

Also saw our equipment managers Jorge Alves and Bob Gorman helping some people with equipment. Got to also chat to VP of the PNC, Larry Perkins who took my picture by our central division championship banner.

Pretty good day, now hopefully Waddell will sign Svech.
EsoYeezus69, Devil, Saskleaf and 8 others liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 5:46 p.m.
Jinx god
7uEoAZOZHzeNjcqwljEFtav24-G0oKpFVxKSFN7QDRg.jpg?auto=webp&s=8e8a8102b88faae89fa1934d8887eaf836dba780
Zinger, Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 5:54 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Dzinger18

Bought a Ryan Dzingel photo for 5 bucks (pretty much my new profile picture but from another angle and more focused)

MET DON WADDELL

So I was just roaming around looking at some sticks and then all of a sudden DON WADDELL walks up beside me and asks; "Hey, who do you have a photo of there?" and I'm just standing there in pure shock and tell him that it's of Dzingel (hoping he'll bring him back at the TDL).

Then got a picture with him and he seemed like a pretty nice, genuine guy. Chatted to him for a couple minutes, but I just couldn't insult him about signing TDA and trading Ned since he actually seemed quite nice. Did tell him that I liked the Ethan Bear acquisition, though. Anyways, it was a pretty surreal moment for me since despite his rough offseason, I've always idolized him. After all, he was the one who pulled this team out of the trash in 18-19.

Also saw our equipment managers Jorge Alves and Bob Gorman helping some people with equipment. Got to also chat to VP of the PNC, Larry Perkins who took my picture by our central division championship banner.

If I'd meet the Blake Comeau it would be funny af. I'd probably just ask him if he wanted to box when he retires from hockey like all the influencers do, and after that I'd want to get a face off picture like they do in boxing, and I'd frame that and probably use it as my profile picture. Only problem is that I live 2273 miles away from Dallas. I wouldn't challenge him to box if we met up face to face because that's rude, but if he ever challenges me I'd accept it 100%, which will probably never happen because I'm pretty much a nobody (but then again so is he), but anything is possible. Logan Paul fought one of the greatest fighters of all time so Me vs Blake wouldn't be that far fetch.
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan, Kotkaniemi15 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:17 p.m.
Bedard23

Russia: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2716786

When I went to see team Russia it showed team Finland instead
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:24 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

MET DON WADDELL

W

I thought the central division banner was a joke lol
Zinger liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:25 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

A_Habs_fan, EsoYeezus69 and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:27 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: IconicHawk
When I went to see team Russia it showed team Finland instead

Fixed it
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:29 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Russia: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2716734

Finland: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2716786

Would Eichel be able to play at the Olympics? Will he be fully healthy by February?
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:31 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Devil1122
Would Eichel be able to play at the Olympics? Will he be fully healthy by February?

It would be a huge blow for team USA. If he isn't I'd put Larkin in the lineup and Trochek as a scratch.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:32 p.m.

MET DON WADDELL

Nice, cool for you, my comparable would probably either be, I was at one of the Ottawa 67’s players night and I actually have a picture of myself with Sean Monahan, also met a couple other 67’s players ( pretty sure Toffoli, Mrazek were there too ) or there was a watch a hockey game at a Gatineau museum on a Imax ( huge screen, kinda like a cinema screen ) and Mike Bossy and Mathieu Dandenault were commentating there live, have their signatures somewhere in my stuff
EsoYeezus69, Zinger and Canesfan21_ liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:33 p.m.
Bedard23

I’m just waiting for Eichel to sue the Sabres for preventing him have surgery
EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan, Devil and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:39 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
It would be a huge blow for team USA. If he isn't I'd put Larkin in the lineup and Trochek as a scratch.

What about....JACK HUGHES
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:48 p.m.
Jinx god

MET DON WADDELL

Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Nice, cool for you, my comparable would probably either be, I was at one of the Ottawa 67’s players night and I actually have a picture of myself with Sean Monahan, also met a couple other 67’s players ( pretty sure Toffoli, Mrazek were there too ) or there was a watch a hockey game at a Gatineau museum on a Imax ( huge screen, kinda like a cinema screen ) and Mike Bossy and Mathieu Dandenault were commentating there live, have their signatures somewhere in my stuff

I don't have too many comparables, I met Shayne Corson and Chris Chelios once when I was very young so I hardly remember. The only two instances that happened when I met up with Philippe Myers and Lukas Cormier. I met Myers at a conditioning camp, he was back in his home town and he went to that camp when he was young so he decided to come right before he left for training camp for the Flyers. He practiced with us, he's 6"5 so he isn't a small fellas. Anyways I didn't get an autograph or a picture or anything like that, but I did try to do this move on him when we were on a 1 on 1:

Let's just say I wasn't as good as Ovi.

Cormier is from really close to where I live and he went to the same high school as me. He came to play some ODR hockey at our local rink. He was somewhat impressed by my hockey knowledge (I can pretty much remember every Stanley cup winner of all time except a couple which happened before the 1930) so that made me proud of myself. He also embarrassed us pretty badly without even trying.
Zinger and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 6:52 p.m.
Jinx god
What about....JACK HUGHES

If he improves greatly this year then I can maybe see it, but he's still fairly young and guys like Larkin and Trochek already got 70 points seasons in the past and are experienced. He should be a lock for the next ones though.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 7:03 p.m.
Canes fan
Edited Aug. 14, 2021 at 7:26 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

That sounds pretty sick. I've always wanted to go to a junior game but I can't since I live down here in NC. I have just always thought it would be cool to get to see some of the younger prospects play.
EsoYeezus69 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 7:25 p.m.
Canes fan
I don't have too many comparables, I met Shayne Corson and Chris Chelios once when I was very young so I hardly remember. The only two instances that happened when I met up with Philippe Myers and Lukas Cormier. I met Myers at a conditioning camp, he was back in his home town and he went to that camp when he was young so he decided to come right before he left for training camp for the Flyers. He practiced with us, he's 6"5 so he isn't a small fellas. Anyways I didn't get an autograph or a picture or anything like that, but I did try to do this move on him when we were on a 1 on 1:

Let's just say I wasn't as good as Ovi.

Cormier is from really close to where I live and he went to the same high school as me. He came to play some ODR hockey at our local rink. He was somewhat impressed by my hockey knowledge (I can pretty much remember every Stanley cup winner of all time except a couple which happened before the 1930) so that made me proud of myself. He also embarrassed us pretty badly without even trying.

That seems cool too. I would've schooled Waddell with my hockey knowledge when I got to meet him earlier today, but he had to head out pretty quick to take a couple phone calls. Hopefully I may come by him again since it's such a small world down here in NC, though.

Few more small world references:

A lot of my family lives up in NB and some of them actually got the chance to meet Myers.

Some friends of mine are related to Clark Bishops fiancé and know Clark well too. We have thanksgiving gatherings together every year and Clark was in town for one of them, so he actually came to my parents house and had dinner with us. Another really nice guy. He's also massive in person. He signed a puck and my old 12-13 Canes Jersey for me. Now he plays up in Ottawa and I thought it was sick that him and Dzingel got to play toegther for a bit (two absolute legends).

Jake Allen is also an NB native and he stills spends his summers there. My uncle works at a Ford dealership in in Fredericton and once got to service his truck for him. A bunch of my relatives also got to see when he brought the cup up there.

One time when I was at a Canes game 2 years ago I saw my mailman working there as a security guard (he works 4 jobs on and off). He offered me VIP access to go down and get some signatures from the players as they were leaving. Got to meet Aho, Slavin, Williams, Staal, and Clark Bishop again.

Also once when I was going into the rink for one of my games I bumped into Curtis McElhinney after his son had just played. He seemed quite nice as all of these guys did.

Pretty fortunate to live here down in NC as a canes fan with so much hockey publicity, but one day I still hope I get a chance to meet the Ryan Dzingel.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 7:44 p.m.
Bedard23

MET DON WADDELL

Really cool, I’ve never met an nhl GM before but I did meet Alex DeBrincat once when I went on my first trip by myself which was like 2019 I went to a Blackhawks mercy store bought a hockey stick which was signed by DeBrincat himself for like 15 bucks and I saw him walk by me saw my stick and we had a chat for like 45 minutes then at the end he signed the front of the Blackhawks jersey I was wearing it was a really cool experience.
EsoYeezus69, Kotkaniemi15, Zinger and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 7:53 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

MET DON WADDELL

That’s hilarious.

Since everyone else is sharing their stories, I’ll share mine. In September 2018, 2.5 weeks after the Max Pacioretty trade the Owen Sound Attack were in town (Guelph) and me and my family bought tickets to the game (mostly to watch Nick Suzuki, it was his first game coming back from his very brief stint at the habs training camp). So anyways before we went to the game, using a printer, some paper, and some tape I made numbers and a name for “SUZUKI” and “88”. (That was his number with the habs in training camp before he made the NHL) So I stuck these paper numbers and name on the back of my blank habs jersey, and wore it to the game. After the game we were some of the last people to leave, and we were hanging around and talking near the doors to leave the stands area of the rink. I hear a woman say “wow that’s the first time I’ve seen one of those jerseys”. She was Nick Suzuki’s mother, and she offered to bring me down to see Nick when he got out of the dressing room. So we hung around and spoke to Nick’s parents for a bit. His mother said that’s the first time that she’d seen a Suzuki habs jersey, and his father was talking about being a Leafs fan and having to cheer for the habs, and how just a few days before the trade they were down in Vegas and bought a bunch of Golden Knights apparel. Nick came out of the dressing room and he signed my jersey and got a photo with me. The whole experience was surreal.

The best part was that later that season, Nick was traded to my hometown Guelph Storm and lead them to an OHL championship. I met him again the day of the championship parade for the Storm.
EsoYeezus69, Zinger, A_Habs_fan and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:06 p.m.
Go leafs go
That seems cool too. I would've schooled Waddell with my hockey knowledge when I got to meet him earlier today, but he had to head out pretty quick to take a couple phone calls. Hopefully I may come by him again since it's such a small world down here in NC, though.

Few more small world references:

A lot of my family lives up in NB and some of them actually got the chance to meet Myers.

Some friends of mine are related to Clark Bishops fiancé and know Clark well too. We have thanksgiving gatherings together every year and Clark was in town for one of them, so he actually came to my parents house and had dinner with us. Another really nice guy. He's also massive in person. He signed a puck and my old 12-13 Canes Jersey for me. Now he plays up in Ottawa and I thought it was sick that him and Dzingel got to play toegther for a bit (two absolute legends).

Jake Allen is also an NB native and he stills spends his summers there. My uncle works at a Ford dealership in in Fredericton and once got to service his truck for him. A bunch of my relatives also got to see when he brought the cup up there.

One time when I was at a Canes game 2 years ago I saw my mailman working there as a security guard (he works 4 jobs on and off). He offered me VIP access to go down and get some signatures from the players as they were leaving. Got to meet Aho, Slavin, Williams, Staal, and Clark Bishop again.

Also once when I was going into the rink for one of my games I bumped into Curtis McElhinney after his son had just played. He seemed quite nice as all of these guys did.

Pretty fortunate to live here down in NC as a canes fan with so much hockey publicity, but one day I still hope I get a chance to meet the Ryan Dzingel.

I've never met any nhl players of any kind.
EsoYeezus69, BuFfaLOFaN and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:09 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Saskleaf
I've never met any nhl players of any kind.

I do live less than an hour from Wendall Clark's house (Kelvington, SK), though.

Never met him though. Sometime I guess I'll have to try and meet him.
EsoYeezus69 and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:11 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Saskleaf
I do live less than an hour from Wendall Clark's house (Kelvington, SK), though.

Never met him though. Sometime I guess I'll have to try and meet him.

How far do you live from Comeau's home town (Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan)?
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
That’s hilarious.

Since everyone else is sharing their stories, I’ll share mine. In September 2018, 2.5 weeks after the Max Pacioretty trade the Owen Sound Attack were in town (Guelph) and me and my family bought tickets to the game (mostly to watch Nick Suzuki, it was his first game coming back from his very brief stint at the habs training camp). So anyways before we went to the game, using a printer, some paper, and some tape I made numbers and a name for “SUZUKI” and “88”. (That was his number with the habs in training camp before he made the NHL) So I stuck these paper numbers and name on the back of my blank habs jersey, and wore it to the game. After the game we were some of the last people to leave, and we were hanging around and talking near the doors to leave the stands area of the rink. I hear a woman say “wow that’s the first time I’ve seen one of those jerseys”. She was Nick Suzuki’s mother, and she offered to bring me down to see Nick when he got out of the dressing room. So we hung around and spoke to Nick’s parents for a bit. His mother said that’s the first time that she’d seen a Suzuki habs jersey, and his father was talking about being a Leafs fan and having to cheer for the habs, and how just a few days before the trade they were down in Vegas and bought a bunch of Golden Knights apparel. Nick came out of the dressing room and he signed my jersey and got a photo with me. The whole experience was surreal.

The best part was that later that season, Nick was traded to my hometown Guelph Storm and lead them to an OHL championship. I met him again the day of the championship parade for the Storm.

I'm very disappointed in you, you're a Guelph fan.

I'm a Kitchener fan.
Kotkaniemi15 and Zinger liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll