SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:14 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
How far do you live from Comeau's home town (Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan)?

Pretty far, Meadow Lake is quite far North. It's about a 6 hours drive from where I live.

Too bad, I'd like to see the GOAT sometimes.
EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:18 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Saskleaf
Pretty far, Meadow Lake is quite far North. It's about a 6 hours drive from where I live.

Too bad, I'd like to see the GOAT sometimes.

That's probably on my voyage bucket list. It would be funny if I caught Blake grocery shopping.
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:21 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I feel like I have to share a story as well, I'm at work but I'll make it quick.

When I used to work at Tim Hortons two years ago as a student, some guy came and ordered at the drive-through in English which is quite uncommon in my area. He came at the window and I recognized him partially because it was during his first training camp. I said:

Me-You look like a hockey player
Him-Oh yeah?
Me- Nick Suzuki
Him-It's me

I did not want to bother him with an autograph, but some coworker old lady did it for me lol. She said I had to do all the broom+mop on the floor for her and she would give it to me. I never swept a floor quick like that in my life and probably never will again.

Now I have a Nick Suzuki #14 autograph on the back of an Iced Cappucino receipt.
Saskleaf, EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan and 7 others liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:28 p.m.
All these meeting people stories are exactly why i love the forums, we’re a great community here
EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf, Kotkaniemi15 and 5 others liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:30 p.m.
Jinx god
Another story since everybody are sharing there's. I'm 99.9% sure that it wasn't Chara, but one time coming home from a road trip from Mount Carleton we stopped at a Tim Hortans to get food. Once in line I turned around and see a gigantic figure looking exactly like Chara (at the time I was like 5"7 so he was a whole foot plus some taller than me), he never said a word.

Chara if it wasn't you I've found your clone or long lost twin. If it was you, how tf did you get so tall.
A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf, Kotkaniemi15 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 8:40 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
That’s hilarious.

Since everyone else is sharing their stories, I’ll share mine. In September 2018, 2.5 weeks after the Max Pacioretty trade the Owen Sound Attack were in town (Guelph) and me and my family bought tickets to the game (mostly to watch Nick Suzuki, it was his first game coming back from his very brief stint at the habs training camp). So anyways before we went to the game, using a printer, some paper, and some tape I made numbers and a name for “SUZUKI” and “88”. (That was his number with the habs in training camp before he made the NHL) So I stuck these paper numbers and name on the back of my blank habs jersey, and wore it to the game. After the game we were some of the last people to leave, and we were hanging around and talking near the doors to leave the stands area of the rink. I hear a woman say “wow that’s the first time I’ve seen one of those jerseys”. She was Nick Suzuki’s mother, and she offered to bring me down to see Nick when he got out of the dressing room. So we hung around and spoke to Nick’s parents for a bit. His mother said that’s the first time that she’d seen a Suzuki habs jersey, and his father was talking about being a Leafs fan and having to cheer for the habs, and how just a few days before the trade they were down in Vegas and bought a bunch of Golden Knights apparel. Nick came out of the dressing room and he signed my jersey and got a photo with me. The whole experience was surreal.

The best part was that later that season, Nick was traded to my hometown Guelph Storm and lead them to an OHL championship. I met him again the day of the championship parade for the Storm.

I was at game 2 and 5 of those OHL finals game, it was sad to see Ottawa lose game 5 and then the series but seeing future Habs great Suzuki was cool
Kotkaniemi15 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 9:33 p.m.
Farewell
Quoting: SevenLeg
I feel like I have to share a story as well, I'm at work but I'll make it quick.

When I used to work at Tim Hortons two years ago as a student, some guy came and ordered at the drive-through in English which is quite uncommon in my area. He came at the window and I recognized him partially because it was during his first training camp. I said:

Me-You look like a hockey player
Him-Oh yeah?
Me- Nick Suzuki
Him-It's me

I did not want to bother him with an autograph, but some coworker old lady did it for me lol. She said I had to do all the broom+mop on the floor for her and she would give it to me. I never swept a floor quick like that in my life and probably never will again.

Now I have a Nick Suzuki #14 autograph on the back of an Iced Cappucino receipt.

This is legendary
EsoYeezus69, SevenLeg, Saskleaf and 4 others liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 9:35 p.m.
Bedard23
Canucks signed Dickinson three year 2.65M$ contract
EsoYeezus69, Canesfan21_ and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk

Slight overpay but its in Benning's nature to do so

But man signing all your RFA's before your big stars isn't smart. Sends a bad message towards Petterson and Hughes lul. Expecting them to sign 5 year deals by September.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 9:47 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk

Came here to say this, since it hasn’t been officially announced yet by CF, my guess was 3x2.45, so not too far off. And yes, Probably a slight overpay if we’re being honest
Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:04 p.m.
Since we’re sharing hockey stories, I got to watch the Senators practice at Canada Olympic Park when they came to Calgary a few years ago (this must have been like 2014, I think Paul MacLean was still the coach). Got a ton of signatures (I had a couple Craig Anderson hockey cards, I think a Spezza one?, and most of the team signed a hat I had), altogether it was an amazing experience for me as a teenager. Bobby Ryan is quite possibly the nicest human on the planet, just a great guy. Erik Karlsson is kind of a dick lol. He wouldn’t sign anything, not even the jerseys of the little kids (like 8-10yo) that clearly idolized him. I can get not signing the pics that the middle aged guys are clearly gonna sell on Ebay the next day (they seemed to accept that fairly philosophically as well), but even they were like at least sign the kids’s stuff, my mom has disliked him ever since haha

I also met THE Walter Gretzky in an airport once, the only problem is I was like 1 year old and obviously don’t remember it lol, but according to my parents he was very gracious and outgoing, extremely friendly.

I’ve heard that Matt Dumba and Kelly Hrudey play at my local golf course occasionally. I worked there for a couple summers in high school but never got to meet them. I think I saw Dumba once, but it was at a distance as he was heading out so I wasn’t certain, and I saw Hrudey’s name on the tee sheet once, but I missed him for one reason or another (might’ve been at the range, it was a job after all lol, or he went straight to the first tee or something).

Probably nobody knows who this is, but Danny Lorenz used to manage the rink I played at as a kid in Seattle, so I saw him all the time, and have a signed hockey card of him (iirc he was surprised to see it lol, he only played 8 games in the NHL, for the Isles in the early 90s). Cool guy.

I was lucky enough to go to the Niedermayer hockey camp for a couple of years, they’re just awesome. I have a boatload of signed cards, pictures, etc. and a signed team Canada Scott Niedermayer jersey (with the C) that is my favourite piece of hockey memorabilia. I forgive those two (and Pronger cuz he’s my 2nd favourite player of all time, we were born in the same place in the middle of nowhere in Ontario) for beating the Sens in 2007, but nobody else lol

Guys I’d love to meet: Alfredsson, Pronger, Stamkos, Stone (my personal favourite players), and Lou Franschetti (one Christmas I got a set of like 300 hockey cards, and like 23 of them were the exact same Lou Franschetti card lmaoooo, would love to meet the guy now).
EsoYeezus69, Zinger, SevenLeg and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:05 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
That's probably on my voyage bucket list. It would be funny if I caught Blake grocery shopping.

I know someone who once saw Eric Staal at a daycare tears of joy
Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:07 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Saskleaf
I've never met any nhl players of any kind.

They're quite wholesome. I'm sure you'll get to meet one someday. It's just so hard up in Canada since the teams have what seems like a bubble around them.
EsoYeezus69, Devil, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:11 p.m.
Canes fan
One more player story:

So back in 2011 when we hosted the ASG, my dad got picked to be a shuttle driver for some of the players (even though hes a bit old and reckless). He got to meet Claude Giroux and the Sedin brothers. One of my cousins is a diehard canucks fan and my dad got the Sedins to sign a puck for him and we sent it to him. He was ecstatic when he saw it. Just a great heartwarming moment.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:12 p.m.
Jinx god
Edited Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:36 p.m.
Quoting: Dzinger18
They're quite wholesome. I'm sure you'll get to meet one someday. It's just so hard up in Canada since the teams have what seems like a bubble around them.

It depends who. 99.9% of professional Hockey players are nice, but there’s some that aren’t. One personnel story was when I went to Charlie Bourgeois’s hockey camp and let me tell you it was one of the worst experiences I’d ever had. 0/10 on quite literally everything. Now I go to the same camp that Myers went to when he was growing up and it’s 1000 times better.
A_Habs_fan and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:23 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 14, 2021 at 11:30 p.m.
K so with everyone signed Benning has his 2 big boyz to sign

Hughes and Petey

So based on some MATHS and stuff I figure were gonna see

Petey sign for 7mill x 3 yrs (Barzel deal) and for Hughes he will probs make 8.25x6years. Could even be more as their agent is notorious for getting the most money he can for his clients

Thats fine as they got 16.1mill once Ferland goes to LTIR

But the question becomes how do they afford Boeser

His QA is 7.5mill and they dont got the room. On top of that Miller, Hoglander, and especially Horvat are due the year after.

I got a feeling someone getting moved and I think we all know why as hes rumored to be on the block every year lul

In general Benning is gonna screw up somewhere as if he can give Poolman 2.5mill hes gonna give one of his guys way to much on his next deal.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:22 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Sorry I'm late to the hockey player story telling party, I just arrived in Houston, home of the Coyotes.

Ive met alot of current and former Devils players, including the greatest goalie of all time Marty Brodeur, the snake Zach Parise, elite Norris defenseman PK Subban, and more.

The most heartbreaking one was when I met Adam Henrique (and Will Butcher) after my birthday. About a week later, Henrique got traded.

The best moment was when I met the whole 2012 cup run team.
Saskleaf, SevenLeg, Kotkaniemi15 and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:25 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Dzinger18

Ya. The thing is I don't live close to a team but I'm sure at some point I'll see one.
EsoYeezus69 and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 1:52 a.m.
Rutta 4ever
I've been off CapFriendly a bit lately (and will disappear again right after this), but popped in and saw it was story time.

I used to work at a school that Marty St. Louis' kids went to (long after they had left said school), and in one of the classrooms during summer camp we were going through the back of a desk drawer and there were a bunch of old class assignment worksheets stuck behind it, and one of them belonged to one of St. Louis' kids. I want to say it was Ryan's, but I do not remember.

Also, one year at the Valspar Championship my brother's friend's dad decided to start chatting it up with Paulina Gretzky. Shooters shoot I guess when DJ is busy.
SevenLeg, Kotkaniemi15, A_Habs_fan and 4 others liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 8:31 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
K so with everyone signed Benning has his 2 big boyz to sign

Hughes and Petey

So based on some MATHS and stuff I figure were gonna see

Petey sign for 7mill x 3 yrs (Barzel deal) and for Hughes he will probs make 8.25x6years. Could even be more as their agent is notorious for getting the most money he can for his clients

Thats fine as they got 16.1mill once Ferland goes to LTIR

But the question becomes how do they afford Boeser

His QA is 7.5mill and they dont got the room. On top of that Miller, Hoglander, and especially Horvat are due the year after.

I got a feeling someone getting moved and I think we all know why as hes rumored to be on the block every year lul

In general Benning is gonna screw up somewhere as if he can give Poolman 2.5mill hes gonna give one of his guys way to much on his next deal.

Acquiring OEL screwed them long term, Benning gonna Benning I guess
EsoYeezus69, Kotkaniemi15, aadoyle and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 9:08 a.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Acquiring OEL screwed them long term, Benning gonna Benning I guess

The Canucks are the Charlotte Hornets of the NHL they both have awful gms that they refuse to fire
Aug. 15, 2021 at 9:29 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 9:44 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

Woah, I did not expect that

My prediction was Fiala = 7.5, Minnesota =5.5
Aug. 15, 2021 at 10:01 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

BuFfaLOFaN and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 10:24 a.m.
Minnesota gotta quit lowballing everyone