SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Aug. 15, 2021 at 10:29 a.m.
I think it probably goes in between like 4x5
Aug. 15, 2021 at 10:34 a.m.
Well I guess yesterday was story time! I was camping so I’ll share mine.

When I was 8 years old I went to a charity game between some nhl veterans and the local police force. Among the players playing were Rick Vaive, Mark LaForest, and mike Krushylneski. Anyway I had VIP passes to go into the dressing room during first intermission, I was so starstruck, I was able to meet and have all these players sign a photo. I asked where krushylneski was and all I heard was “Hes prolly doing his hair!!” From vaive.

When it was my turn to meet Rick, he looked around and saw I was the only kid there so he asked me, “hey kid, I’ve got something to ask u, what do cows drink?” I was so starstruck I wasn’t expecting him to ask me anything so I just went “uhmmmmmm, milk?” My mom said I was so nervous haha, and he goes “haha don’t be nervous, it’s water like everything else! Enjoy the game buddy!”

Pretty cool to meet all those players, it meant the world to me!
SevenLeg, EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 10:40 a.m.
Go leafs go
I am having a discussion on the ACGM section of this site with someone that thinks Connor Murphy is better than Rielly.

Curious to see what people on this section of the site think because I didn't think people actually thought Murphy is better. Rielly is better.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 10:52 a.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: Saskleaf
I am having a discussion on the ACGM section of this site with someone that thinks Connor Murphy is better than Rielly.

Curious to see what people on this section of the site think because I didn't think people actually thought Murphy is better. Rielly is better.

Who I’d want on my team more - Murphy

Who I think is better - Rielly

If it was a discussion on who is better with that being the only context I’d say Rielly, but if we were going on team need it can be debated. For example if I were Dallas I’d rather get Murphy because he’s a RHD, he’s cheaper, he’s stronger, better defensively, and would be a perfect partner for Heiskanen (scenario that we didn’t get Suter in last year’s FA). But if I was looking for a number 1 dman who can rack up some points and be my best defensemen I’d go with Rielly.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 10:57 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Who I’d want on my team more - Murphy

Who I think is better - Rielly

If it was a discussion on who is better with that being the only context I’d say Rielly, but if we were going on team need it can be debated. For example if I were Dallas I’d rather get Murphy because he’s a RHD, he’s cheaper, he’s stronger, better defensively, and would be a perfect partner for Heiskanen (scenario that we didn’t get Suter in last year’s FA). But if I was looking for a number 1 dman who can rack up some points and be my best defensemen I’d go with Rielly.

Yes, for some teams Murphy would be a better target, but I think the context is just who is better, which in that case it's Rielly. Rielly can be a number one guy, Murphy can't be.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 11:06 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Christian Dvorak has gotten so overvalued in ACGM, it's unreal.
Saskleaf, EsoYeezus69, LeafsFan4Ever34 and 3 others liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 11:19 a.m.
Jinx god
Edited Aug. 15, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg

Literally every 3rd line player gets so overrated like it’s unreal, they’re not close to being worth two 1sts or whatever the crazy “asking price” is. Just because of that I demand your entire franchise for Blake Comeau.
Saskleaf and LeafsFan4Ever34 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 11:31 a.m.
Edited Aug. 15, 2021 at 11:39 a.m.
Literally every 3rd line player gets so overrated like it’s unreal, they’re not close to being worth two 1sts. Just because of that I demand your entire franchise for Blake Comeau.

I’d do it, Comeau is a once in a generation talent.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:17 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: Devil1122

Woah, I did not expect that

My prediction was Fiala = 7.5, Minnesota =5.5

That’s really low for Fiala’s camp. I can see why the Wild filed for arbitration.
EsoYeezus69, A_Habs_fan, AndrewLadd and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:23 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
That’s really low for Fiala’s camp. I can see why the Wild filed for arbitration.

The wild still have 19M left to sign him
Kotkaniemi15 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Acquiring OEL screwed them long term, Benning gonna Benning I guess

That and he signed Poolman to 2.5MILLION

Like I talked to Jets fans and they all were puzzled beyond belief he made that. League min to at least 1mill should have been the most he got.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

To be fair the coyotes asking price for him is high according to some reports. That said it seems they made the price high as they dont want to move him
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:40 p.m.
Bedard23
Every teams worst contract:
ANA: Adam Henrique
ARI: Andrew Ladd
BOS: Charlie Coyle
BUF: Jeff Skinner
CGY: Milan Lucic
CAR: Brady Skjei
CHI: Brett Connolly (would say Seth Jones but his new contract doesn’t start until 22-23)
COL: Erik Johnson
CBJ: Jakub Vorchek (Would say Zach Werenski but same thing as Jones)
DAL: Jamie Benn
DET: Frans Nielsen
EDM: Duncan Keith (would say Darnell Nurse but again his extension doesn’t start until next season)
FLA: Sergei Bobrovsky
LAK: Drew Doughty
MIN: Dimitri Kulikov
MTL: Carey Price
NSH: Matt Duchene
NJD: PK Subban
NYI: Matt Martin
NYR: Jacob Trouba
OTT: Matt Murray
PHI: JVR
PIT: Mike Matheson
SJS: Erik Karlsson
STL: Justin Faulk
TBL: Ondrej Palat
TOR: John Tavares
VAN: Tyler Myers
VGK: Alex Pietrangelo
WSH: TJ Oshie
WPG: Josh Morrissey
EsoYeezus69 and Zinger liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
CHI: Brett Connolly (would say Seth Jones but his new contract doesn’t start until 22-23)
EDM: Duncan Keith (would say Darnell Nurse but again his extension doesn’t start until next season)

For Winnipeg I actually think its Wheeler. He is 34 and making slightly more than 8mill and thats till hes 37 years old. Hes still a good player but the decline was noticeable and he put minimal effort in the dzone which drove jets fans nuts this year.
Kotkaniemi15, A_Habs_fan, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 12:50 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

I agree with most, but I'd say
McDonagh's is worse than Palat's
Spurgeon's is worse than Kulikov's
aadoyle liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 1:19 p.m.
Jinx god

For Dallas I’d pick Suter, Lindell and Faksa over Benn. Sure he’s a little overpaid, but he’s great two ways, a great leader, a terrific playoff performer, a great physical player, his offensive game is still pretty good, and he can play every forward position. He’s one of the most complete players in the league. He brings more than almost everyone on the team.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 1:20 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
For Winnipeg I actually think its Wheeler. He is 34 and making slightly more than 8mill and thats till hes 37 years old. Hes still a good player but the decline was noticeable and he put minimal effort in the dzone which drove jets fans nuts this year.

But unlike Wheeler, Morrissey sucks
Aug. 15, 2021 at 1:38 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Am I the only one who dislikes the Jets offseason? If Schmidt does not bounce back it's a bad contract with trade protection for a defenseman not so young. I prefer the Dillon acquisition but the price was steep. I get they traded for two bodies to fill their top 4, but they're both bottom-of-the-barrel top 4 defensemen.

They lost one of the best backup goaltenders in free agency and they are planning to replace him with a waivers goalie who has been part of 1/3 of the organizations and/or a promising but unproven Mikhail Berdin.

They had so much cap space coming into the offseason and now they have pretty much the least and they could not buy even one UFA year of Copp.

Re-signing Stastny was a good move whatsoever.
EsoYeezus69 and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 1:56 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Am I the only one who dislikes the Jets offseason? If Schmidt does not bounce back it's a bad contract with trade protection for a defenseman not so young. I prefer the Dillon acquisition but the price was steep. I get they traded for two bodies to fill their top 4, but they're both bottom-of-the-barrel top 4 defensemen.

They lost one of the best backup goaltenders in free agency and they are planning to replace him with a waivers goalie who has been part of 1/3 of the organizations and/or a promising but unproven Mikhail Berdin.

They had so much cap space coming into the offseason and now they have pretty much the least and they could not buy even one UFA year of Copp.

Re-signing Stastny was a good move whatsoever.

100%. The Jets were terrible in the series against the habs, and they didn’t improve that much. Hellebuyck is the only thing that will be keeping them in playoff contention next year.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 2:43 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
100%. The Jets were terrible in the series against the habs, and they didn’t improve that much. Hellebuyck is the only thing that will be keeping them in playoff contention next year.

Well they had no defence so they really couldn’t do much about it……
Aug. 15, 2021 at 2:48 p.m.
Literally every 3rd line player gets so overrated like it’s unreal, they’re not close to being worth two 1sts or whatever the crazy “asking price” is. Just because of that I demand your entire franchise for Blake Comeau.

Dvorak isn’t a 3rd liner in case that’s what your saying, Dvorak is a 2c with maybe untapped upside because he’s been in Houston forever
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Dvorak isn’t a 3rd liner in case that’s what your saying, Dvorak is a 2c with maybe untapped upside because he’s been in Houston forever

Dvorak isn't a 3rd liner by any case, but if he was in Dallas we have 4 centres better than him (Hintz, Seguin, Benn, Pavelski), but on a team like Vegas who's weak at centre he'd be their number 1/2. I'm just saying that players like Dvorak who have alright value are apparently worth more than a 1st line player, which is ridiculous.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 3:23 p.m.
Bedard23
Dvorak isn't a 3rd liner by any case, but if he was in Dallas we have 4 centres better than him (Hintz, Seguin, Benn, Pavelski), but on a team like Vegas who's weak at centre he'd be their number 1/2. I'm just saying that players like Dvorak who have alright value are apparently worth more than a 1st line player, which is ridiculous.

Isnt Benn a left winger?
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 3:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Isnt Benn a left winger?

He played center last season with Robertson on his wing. Its like Paul or Jarnkrok where they can play center but they are mostly on wing
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2021 at 3:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
So Ottawa is reportedly looking to move Brannstrom for a center specifically a top 6 center.

Feel bad for him as DJ smith would rather have Holden or Del Zotto play over him. Feels bad man.

Hopefully if he is moved he succeeds on his new team and makes them look dumb for moving him
A_Habs_fan and EsoYeezus69 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll