SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:52 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
Hello guys! I’m back!!

Yes he did, but on his account it only says he’s 13… so I’m sorry, but I didn’t take it too seriously. McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon will definitely out score Matthews! They are way better at getting points. Now yes, Tavares is not a top 5 center man… not even close. I would say he is probably top 15! I would have to check all the center men, but he may be.

Oh that makes a lot more sense

I wasn't sure if he was just trolling or clueless
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:55 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Hello guys! I’m back!!

Yes he did, but on his account it only says he’s 13… so I’m sorry, but I didn’t take it too seriously. McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon will definitely out score Matthews! They are way better at getting points. Now yes, Tavares is not a top 5 center man… not even close. I would say he is probably top 15! I would have to check all the center men, but he may be.

Lmao 13 year olds shouldn’t be on this site. He probably turned 13 yesterday so he made an account. He he’s just a homer and extremely biased. Probably doesn’t know anything about the NHL anyway so ignore him.
MitchMarner_16 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:57 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Devil1122
Oh that makes a lot more sense

I wasn't sure if he was just trolling or clueless

The answer is neither. The answer is biased. Maybe clueless but mostly just biased. He probably only watches Leafs games and drools over Matthews.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 6:57 p.m.
Quoting: Juiceman
Lmao 13 year olds shouldn’t be on this site. He he’s just a homer and extensor biased. Probably doesn’t know anything about the NHL anyway so ignore him.

Probably doesn’t, and yes, I don’t know why you would want to be on a hockey website if you are clueless about the NHL. He may be a homer, but who knows…. I don’t want to jump to conclusions. Maybe he wants us to help him learn, so he understands these things. Who knows.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:08 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Probably doesn’t, and yes, I don’t know why you would want to be on a hockey website if you are clueless about the NHL. He may be a homer, but who knows…. I don’t want to jump to conclusions. Maybe he wants us to help him learn, so he understands these things. Who knows.

Who knows. Let’s just see what his next posts are gonna be like. I think he’s dead serious that he thinks Matthews is gonna out score McDavid and Tavares is a top 5 center lol
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:09 p.m.
I didn’t see whatever post y’all are talking about, but Matthews is at worst the 2nd best goal scorer and 5th best player in the league (I’d probably have him 1 and 4 at this point). Crazier things have happened than a player that good winning the Art Ross. Giroux finished 2nd a few years ago, and Benn and St. Louis both have Art Ross trophies in the last decade. I’d argue none of those guys were top 5 at the time, and even if they were, they certainly weren’t as close to the top guys as Matthews is (i.e. 2015 Benn is further from 2015 Crosby than 2021 Matthews is from 2021 McDavid)
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:11 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Alfie11
I didn’t see whatever post y’all are talking about, but Matthews is at worst the 2nd best goal scorer and 5th best player in the league (I’d probably have him 1 and 4 at this point). Crazier things have happened than a player that good winning the Art Ross. Giroux finished 2nd a few years ago, and Benn and St. Louis both have Art Ross trophies in the last decade. I’d argue none of those guys were top 5 at the time, and even if they were, they certainly weren’t as close to the top guys as Matthews is (i.e. 2015 Benn is further from 2015 Crosby than 2021 Matthews is from 2021 McDavid)

If you go back a couple pages the title is called top 10 scorers or something like that. It is a custom roster. I think he was talking about points which is funny.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:11 p.m.
Bedard23
If you asked me who were the top 5 centers in the league here’s how I rank them:

1. McDavid
2. Mackinnion
3. Draisital (however you spell his name)
4. Matthews
5. Point (it’s really up for grabs I don’t care who you think it is as long as it makes sense)
Nhl_oilers liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:12 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Let's be real, a tandem of Jones and Hart...that's not going to turn out so good

Especially if their defense plays bad again

Everyone is so quick to degrade Martin jones but I’ll have you know he has a 0.00 GAA in games he has a shutout, that’s elite stuff whether you want to admit it or not
TheFlamingC and Devil liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:14 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
How good is this?

Iafallo-Crosby-Bertuzzi
Forsberg-Point-Pavelski
Wood-Vilardi-Goodrow
Frederic-D.Ryan-Sutter

Toews-McAvoy
Edmundson-Montour
Del Zotto-Gudas

Hellebuyck
Halak
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:23 p.m.
GO FLAMES GO
Working on the first part of a review of the 2010 drafts. Look out for it in the NHL forum
Juiceman, A_Habs_fan and Nhl_oilers liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:40 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
Lol some biased leafs fan thought Matthews would outscore McDavid Draisaitl and MacKinnion

He also said Tavares is a top 5 center...

A little yeast leavens the whole lump, a bad apple ruins the whole bunch. It’s dudes like this that give leaf fans a bad name lol
Juiceman and Devil liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:47 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
A little yeast leavens the whole lump, a bad apple ruins the whole bunch. It’s dudes like this that give leaf fans a bad name lol

There’s always those kinds of people. He’s only 13 so I Hope this kid grows up and looks back on these posts and has a good chuckle
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:53 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
If you asked me who were the top 5 centers in the league here’s how I rank them:

1. McDavid
2. Mackinnion
3. Draisital (however you spell his name)
4. Matthews
5. Point (it’s really up for grabs I don’t care who you think it is as long as it makes sense)

I agree here mostly, but I do sincerely believe that matthews could be number 2, but granted, he didn’t show up in the playoffs. This wrist surgery could’ve been the reason he dropped off in production in the latter half of the season and the playoffs...

Either way both players have failed to help their teams have any major playoff success.

In my opinion, sincerely and unbiased, I think matthews is better than Drai, my reasons being
1. GOALS
Matthews and Draisaitl have the same number of career goals, though Matthews has played in almost 150 less games. Even attributing to the fact that matthews has an elite playmaker on his side, that’s a very wide gap.

2. Defensive Ability
I don’t use analytics a lot (I really never look at them), but based on my own eyes these two players have very similar defensive ability, If not drai has the edge. However, matthews has been getting better and better every year defensively and Drai seems to have hit his defensive “ceiling”. If matthews doesn’t improve this year defensively, the drai reigns superior in this category.

3. Game Changing Ability
I know there is no statistics to measure here, but this is all based on how a single player can change the game. You can see and notice when matthews is on the ice, (this playoffs with his wrist injury aside), because the other players seem to respect his skill. When he gets momentum matthews can change the flow of the game, something very few players can do, guy like mcdavid do the same. Draisaitl really doesn’t have as much of a wow factor as matthews when he’s on the ice. He’s a lot more subtle and doesn’t really determine the game flow. However this is all interpretation and you could interpret this very differently than me

That said, there is my reason for matthews > drai. Matthews hasn’t hit his ceiling yet, whereas it seems that Draisaitl won’t get much better than this……
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
He also said Tavares is a top 5 center...

Once upon a time he was. Now he is more of a top 15 Center.

If we go top 5 rn its

Mcdavid
Crosby
Mackinnon
Matthews
Point
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
I agree here mostly, but I do sincerely believe that matthews could be number 2, but granted, he didn’t show up in the playoffs. This wrist surgery could’ve been the reason he dropped off in production in the latter half of the season and the playoffs...

Either way both players have failed to help their teams have any major playoff success.

In my opinion, sincerely and unbiased, I think matthews is better than Drai, my reasons being
1. GOALS
Matthews and Draisaitl have the same number of career goals, though Matthews has played in almost 150 less games. Even attributing to the fact that matthews has an elite playmaker on his side, that’s a very wide gap.

2. Defensive Ability
I don’t use analytics a lot (I really never look at them), but based on my own eyes these two players have very similar defensive ability, If not drai has the edge. However, matthews has been getting better and better every year defensively and Drai seems to have hit his defensive “ceiling”. If matthews doesn’t improve this year defensively, the drai reigns superior in this category.

3. Game Changing Ability
I know there is no statistics to measure here, but this is all based on how a single player can change the game. You can see and notice when matthews is on the ice, (this playoffs with his wrist injury aside), because the other players seem to respect his skill. When he gets momentum matthews can change the flow of the game, something very few players can do, guy like mcdavid do the same. Draisaitl really doesn’t have as much of a wow factor as matthews when he’s on the ice. He’s a lot more subtle and doesn’t really determine the game flow. However this is all interpretation and you could interpret this very differently than me

That said, there is my reason for matthews > drai. Matthews hasn’t hit his ceiling yet, whereas it seems that Draisaitl won’t get much better than this……

There are statistics for everything my friend. If you look up advanced statistics there will be all these weird stats for almost anything. It’s hard to really understand at first but you’ll understand more as you go. Personally I haven’t compare the two players but if you wanted to, you could compare their advanced stats. For game changing abilities, look at their projected GAR and WAR. Those show how important they are. I think Matthews is the third best center in the league. MacKinnon though is just much more rounded but it’s quite close. McDavid is just on another level though. Drai is a fantastic player and really the only thing that separates them is the goal scoring which Matthews has the edge (not by very much)
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:58 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: aadoyle
Once upon a time he was. Now he is more of a top 15 Center.

If we go top 5 rn its

Mcdavid
Crosby
Mackinnon
Matthews
Point

I’d say Crosby has dropped out of top 5 now. I’d rank him at 6th or 7th just because of all the young guys that haven’t hit their prime.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 7:59 p.m.
Who knows. Let’s just see what his next posts are gonna be like. I think he’s dead serious that he thinks Matthews is gonna out score McDavid and Tavares is a top 5 center lol

I hope not, but yes, we will see. If he is, then he needs to do his research.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
There are statistics for everything my friend. If you look up advanced statistics there will be all these weird stats for almost anything. It’s hard to really understand at first but you’ll understand more as you go. Personally I haven’t compare the two players but if you wanted to, you could compare their advanced stats. For game changing abilities, look at their projected GAR and WAR. Those show how important they are. I think Matthews is the third best center in the league. MacKinnon though is just much more rounded but it’s quite close. McDavid is just on another level though. Drai is a fantastic player and really the only thing that separates them is the goal scoring which Matthews has the edge (not by very much)

We can all agree Crosby, Mackinnon and Mcdavid are the top 3. Decide the order as you wish. Matthews be arguably the 4th best out there as he is only getting better with time especially defensively. 5th place is up in the air as one could argue Point has taken that role as over the last 3 seasons he has been a monster at both ends. Pushing Draisaitl to 6th but who cares still in the top 10 which is still a list with some notable names.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:03 p.m.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think am34 is number two, mackinnon is 2, Mcdavid number one
Juiceman liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:04 p.m.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think am34 is number two, mackinnon is 2, Mcdavid number one

I rank my top five

1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Matthews
4. Draisaitl
5. Crosby/Point (probably point)
Devil and Nhl_oilers liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:05 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
We can all agree Crosby, Mackinnon and Mcdavid are the top 3. Decide the order as you wish. Matthews be arguably the 4th best out there as he is only getting better with time especially defensively. 5th place is up in the air as one could argue Point has taken that role as over the last 3 seasons he has been a monster at both ends. Pushing Draisaitl to 6th but who cares still in the top 10 which is still a list with some notable names.

My list goes:
McDavid
MacKinnon
Matthews
Point
Draisaitl
Crosby
Pettersson
Barkov
Barzal
Bergeron

To be honest after the top 5 I haven’t done enough research to be confident in this list. 6-10 could honestly be in any order with even other players I didn’t mention
aadoyle and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 24, 2021 at 10:40 p.m.
I’d say Crosby has dropped out of top 5 now. I’d rank him at 6th or 7th just because of all the young guys that haven’t hit their prime.

Until we see a massive drop he still is in the top 3 conversation. Good at both ends, strong puck handler and can be relied upon in almost all situations. Only guy who is for sure better is Mcdavid and maybe on some lists Mackinnon.

As for the top 10 if we go 6-10

Draisaitl
Barkov
Eichel (before the injury as lets be real next season once healthy he will be back to dominating the score sheet)
Bergeron
(3 way tie) Barzel-Petterson-Zibanajad
Juiceman liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:11 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Until we see a massive drop he still is in the top 3 conversation. Good at both ends, strong puck handler and can be relied upon in almost all situations. Only guy who is for sure better is Mcdavid and maybe on some lists Mackinnon.

As for the top 10 if we go 6-10

Draisaitl
Barkov
Eichel (before the injury as lets be real next season once healthy he will be back to dominating the score sheet)
Bergeron
Petterson

Fair enough
aadoyle liked this.
Aug. 24, 2021 at 8:12 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
10,000 posts everyone

Dang that’s a lot of posts
MitchMarner_16 and Nhl_oilers liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll