SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Jun. 22, 2021 at 5:02 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Here is, IMO, the main issue with the Leafs:

They are in a MAJOR cap hell BEFORE having done anything, before having won a cup or simply a series for god's sake. Look, it's one thing to be in a cap hell when you're the 2015-18 Hawks or the 2020/2021 TBL (SW WINNERS) but it's another to be in a big cap hell while not having won anything.

We clearly saw against MTL that TOR severely lacks scoring depth, but the fact is that there is no way to fix it without downgrading the defense (and coming back to the 17-18/18-19/19-20 Leafs, which is simply a recipe for disaster) or without moving Marner. It just is impossible. So good luck Kyle, and I hope I'm wrong, but I'm confident in saying I don't see how you fix this
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 5:42 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward

They are in a MAJOR cap hell BEFORE having done anything, before having won a cup or simply a series for god's sake. Look, it's one thing to be in a cap hell when you're the 2015-18 Hawks or the 2020/2021 TBL (SW WINNERS) but it's another to be in a big cap hell while not having won anything.

We clearly saw against MTL that TOR severely lacks scoring depth, but the fact is that there is no way to fix it without downgrading the defense (and coming back to the 17-18/18-19/19-20 Leafs, which is simply a recipe for disaster) or without moving Marner. It just is impossible. So good luck Kyle, and I hope I'm wrong, but I'm confident in saying I don't see how you fix this

Trade Marner
Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Devil1122
Trade Marner

does not work. Watch we move marner he gets 100 points with his respected team takes them past round 1 and leafs fans will go

WHY DID WE TRADE HIM AGAIN?

literally will be the Kadri situation all over again lul
MitchMarner_16 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 9:57 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: aadoyle
does not work. Watch we move marner he gets 100 points with his respected team takes them past round 1 and leafs fans will go

Difference is Kadri doesn't make $11M. I know Marner is a good player, but something has to change if he can't perform in the playoffs

If the Leafs lose in the first round next year, he has to go (unless he does great in the playoffs)
Jun. 22, 2021 at 10:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Difference is Kadri doesn't make $11M. I know Marner is a good player, but something has to change if he can't perform in the playoffs

If the Leafs lose in the first round next year, he has to go (unless he does great in the playoffs)

the thing was I blame the performance also on keefe. Matthews and Marner were not working why were they not split up. Because Matthews was getting held back Marner was to as often his best chances came away from matthews.

Who knows with Kerfoot Marner may have scored some goals or generated more points. Cause look how good Chucky-Kerfoot-Nylander were.

All honesty would have by gm6 ran

Chucky-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Marner
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 11:00 p.m.
Go leafs go
Trade Marner

Marner for Tkachuk plus.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jun. 22, 2021 at 11:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
Marner for Tkachuk plus.

nah

I want a 2-way player who can contribute to our PK rather than cause us to be on the PK lul
CoopsTroops and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 5:17 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
nah

I want a 2-way player who can contribute to our PK rather than cause us to be on the PK lul

I'm sorry but if you still have 100% faith in MM after FIFTEEN playoff games he's been awful in Idk what to tell u
Jun. 23, 2021 at 9:47 a.m.
Go leafs go
nah

Fair.

I just think Tkachuk would be a nice add because he’s gritty and he scores a lot too, not to mention he’s 3.9 mil cheaper. If it’s a first and someone like Dube, and Matt, for Marner the leafs should seriously consider.

I'm sorry but if you still have 100% faith in MM after FIFTEEN playoff games he's been awful in Idk what to tell u

He’ll figure it out eventually. Besides, the leafs will lose any MM trade unless they get another star coming back (Matt Tkachuk maybe?)
Jun. 23, 2021 at 9:54 a.m.
Brace for the Storm
Fair.

I just think Tkachuk would be a nice add because he’s gritty and he scores a lot too, not to mention he’s 3.9 mil cheaper. If it’s a first and someone like Dube, and Matt, for Marner the leafs should seriously consider.

He’ll figure it out eventually. Besides, the leafs will lose any MM trade unless they get another star coming back (Matt Tkachuk maybe?)

Look, even if Dubas gets, say, 75% of his value (75% of his value, IMO, looks like a Miles Wood, Dawson Mercer and NYI first rounder package) it's still worth it, cause you still free like 9M of cap room, which means getting a better goalie than Rittich (cause he's not that good) to help Jack while getting 3-4 more forwards (besides Wood) (one of em should be HYman) to round out your bottom six

Your lineup could/should look like:
Hyman-AM-WN
Robertson-JT-FA signing
Wood-3C(Idk who it could be)-Mikeyev
Engvall-Spezza-

Abramov and Amirov could get looks
Jun. 23, 2021 at 1:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Fair.

The only way leafs dont lose a MM trade is if its superstar for superstar or the team he goes to overpays

Buffalo comes in as lets say we go Marner + for Eichel

in that regard both sides hit equilibrium as its superstar for superstar.

If Im dubas and I decide to move Mitch Marner I want a large package consisting of good depth players and high picks.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
Go leafs go
Look, even if Dubas gets, say, 75% of his value (75% of his value, IMO, looks like a Miles Wood, Dawson Mercer and NYI first rounder package) it's still worth it, cause you still free like 9M of cap room, which means getting a better goalie than Rittich (cause he's not that good) to help Jack while getting 3-4 more forwards (besides Wood) (one of em should be HYman) to round out your bottom six

Your lineup could/should look like:
Hyman-AM-WN
Robertson-JT-FA signing
Wood-3C(Idk who it could be)-Mikeyev
Engvall-Spezza-

Abramov and Amirov could get looks

Moving a 24 year old superstar for 75% of his value (which I would argue the package you have isn't even that) is not a recipe for success. The leafs team you have here, while more playoff built, has a legitimate threat of not making the playoffs and has far less potential to win.

The leafs can't really win a MM trade, unless another star is coming back. It will almost certain make the team worse.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 3:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Moving a 24 year old superstar for 75% of his value (which I would argue the package you have isn't even that) is not a recipe for success. The leafs team you have here, while more playoff built, has a legitimate threat of not making the playoffs and has far less potential to win.

The leafs can't really win a MM trade, unless another star is coming back. It will almost certain make the team worse.

In general I see next season being Marners best

for the first time since Gilmour were gonna see a leaf reach 100+ points.

and for the playoffs the kid we saw score on that penalty shots gonna come back.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 3:03 p.m.
Go leafs go
In general I see next season being Marners best

for the first time since Gilmour were gonna see a leaf reach 100 points.

That's why they cannot trade him for 75% of his value. If a team overpays or offers another equal or almost equal superstar, trade him, absolutely. But dumping him for the sake of dumping him isn't smart.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 3:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
That's why they cannot trade him for 75% of his value. If a team overpays or offers another equal or almost equal superstar, trade him, absolutely. But dumping him for the sake of dumping him isn't smart.

Even trading him for another star is also risky

lets say we trade Marner for Tkachuck

whose gonna be our star penalty killer Hyman hes gone lul

that leaves us with Mikheyev, Engvall, and that aint looking good
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 3:08 p.m.
Go leafs go
Even trading him for another star is also risky

lets say we trade Marner for Tkachuck

whose gonna be our star penalty killer Hyman hes gone lul

that leaves us with Mikheyev, Engvall, and that aint looking good

If it's Marner for Tkachuk, Hyman stays, but I see your point.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 3:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If it's Marner for Tkachuk, Hyman stays, but I see your point.

the issue with keeping Hyman is term

he wants 6x6 years and as we have seen with other guys like him they are good for 2 then fall off hard resulting in anchor contracts

remember when Lucic and Okoposo were good lul
Jun. 23, 2021 at 5:49 p.m.
Go leafs go
the issue with keeping Hyman is term

he wants 6x6 years and as we have seen with other guys like him they are good for 2 then fall off hard resulting in anchor contracts

remember when Lucic and Okoposo were good lul

If they have enough cap space though, I think they’ll be looking to bring him back on a “discount” (5 mil or so)
Jun. 23, 2021 at 5:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If they have enough cap space though, I think they’ll be looking to bring him back on a “discount” (5 mil or so)

even on a discount still dont want him long term

that contract after 2 years would be an anchor for us especially when you consider Hymans injury list with his knees
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 6:01 p.m.
Go leafs go
even on a discount still dont want him long term

that contract after 2 years would be an anchor for us especially when you consider Hymans injury list with his knees

Not saying I want him signed long term (much rather have him short term, or at this point not have him), I just think that might happen.
Jun. 23, 2021 at 7:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:43 a.m.
So Franks likely trade list is out

Some interesting big names on this list

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/seravallis-trade-targets-20-names-in-play-in-the-summer-of-jack/

Got to think if Hyman walks Warren Foegele could be an intriguing filler for us
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:43 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Also according to Pierre Lebrun Rielly is willing to take less money on his next deal

Great now we Ow Spezza and Rielly steak dinners next to Campbell lul
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:26 p.m.
So Dave Haksol (our PK coach I believe) was chosen as Seattle's head coach (congrats man you've earned it)

we got an assistant coach position open people

could be another open as teams are still talking to our other two assistants

my ideal idea behind the bench

HC: Keefe
PPC: Boudreau
PK Coach: Malhotra
EITSC: Gilmour
MitchMarner_16 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:44 p.m.
Canes fan
Congrats to Dave Hakstol on signing as the coach for the Expansion Seattle Kraken!

MitchMarner_16 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 24, 2021 at 12:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Dzinger18
Congrats to Dave Hakstol on signing as the coach for the Expansion Seattle Kraken!

So who yall think replaces him for the leafs

I think I know who everyones gonna say lul
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll