SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021 offseason talks thread

Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:07 a.m.
Rutta 4ever

I figured if Stephens was going to be on the move it was going to be to Detroit.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:09 a.m.
Quoting: LeafsFan4Ever34
My predictions for the Atlantic

1. Tampa Bay Lightning (If Hedman can play)
2. Toronto Maple Leafs
3. Florida Panthers
4. Boston Bruins
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Ottawa Senators
7. Montreal Canadiens
8. Buffalo Sabres

How is Montreal 7th?
SevenLeg liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:09 a.m.
I heff to be mad...
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
How is Montreal 7th?

Price misses first few games and Weber's gone
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:12 a.m.
Price misses first few games and Weber's gone

And how does that make us worse than Detroit and Ottawa lol? Our defence is still solid, we should have better goal scoring, MB has to have a move planned to acquire another center and Ottawa and Detroit are nowhere near us
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:13 a.m.
I heff to be mad...
And how does that make us worse than Detroit and Ottawa lol? Our defence is still solid, we should have better goal scoring, MB has to have a move planned to acquire another center and Ottawa and Detroit are nowhere near us

I'm just guessing Sanderson can play and Norris and Batherson level up their lines
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
I'm just guessing Sanderson can play and Norris and Batherson level up their lines

Sens only have Chabot on D, the only real close area between Habs and Sens is offense depending on how their kids play
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:31 a.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Well I wouldn't play in Canada if I was American... Not just because of pay etc.

Same goes for both sides tho. I think the point being is a unfair tax issue in terms of parity. If you want parity in the league where players can get equal pay everywhere then it is a issue. Because yes I can sign a 70mil contract but it will not be the same everywhere and other places will give me a huge benefit (which I dont think anyone is to blame).

Because as a Canadian; I would NOT want to ever live or raise a family in most of the USA. There are select AREAS I would change my mind for but in general I would have little desire to move to the USA in general (ex: the USA ranks 122 in all countries on the peacefulness index compared to Canada at 10). Now thats a subjetive opinion of me having no desire to live there.

Objectively; Florida flexes a tax advantage than most places can never keep up with. Even other US states. I don't think theres a way to fix it really (there are but nothing "easy" for the league). In general a luxury cap should be added to allow anyone to have the choice of spending more. Like the MLSE would then gain a benefit compared to other Canadian markets because they can flex their wealth. This then causes other issues for other Canadian teams lol.

There wont be an easy objective fix: but there is a advantage for some teams that NO other teams get, not just Canadian. That takes away from the equal field the NHL tries to produce with their current structure (as all teams share in growth and revenue and spread the money throughout).
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:49 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: aadoyle
My favorite buzzer beater of all time and I was there live when it happened

reminds me when me and some buddies drove to TOR and went to the massive Jurassic Park for the finals (Cant remember which game cause the Raps lost, but it was a very close game lol), but my god Jurassic Park was miles long and it was an absolute gong show, so fun and something I haven't experienced in hockey.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:50 a.m.
Go leafs go

2. Toronto Maple Leafs
3. Florida Panthers
4. Boston Bruins
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Ottawa Senators
7. Montreal Canadiens
8. Buffalo Sabres

Um, what? Why is Montreal so low and Detroit so high?
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:52 a.m.
Canes fan

2. Toronto Maple Leafs
3. Florida Panthers
4. Boston Bruins
5. Detroit Red Wings
6. Ottawa Senators
7. Montreal Canadiens
8. Buffalo Sabres

Saying the Red Wings will finish 5th is like saying Waddell will stop destroying the Canes.
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan, LeafsFan4Ever34 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:53 a.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
Honestly. This off-season is horrible. I kinda wish I never came back from vacation

Seth Jones congrats. Leafs won’t be able to re sign rielly now

From a leafs fan, a team that has done next to nothing this offseason...

I love it!
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:55 a.m.
Rutta 4ever

I'm still not sold on the Perry signing, but I am resigned to the fact we're going to be the most hated team in the league with these 2 stirring stuff up on the ice.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 10:58 a.m.
Quoting: CoopsTroops

I'm still not sold on the Perry signing, but I am resigned to the fact we're going to be the most hated team in the league with these 2 stirring stuff up on the ice.

News flash: you would still be the most hated team in the league if your entire lineup was comprised of literal saints. 2-time reigning champs, ltir maneuvering, nobody’s happy with tampa right now lol
Saskleaf, SevenLeg, Kotkaniemi15 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:02 a.m.
Rutta 4ever
Edited Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:08 a.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
News flash: you would still be the most hated team in the league if your entire lineup was comprised of literal saints. 2-time reigning champs, ltir maneuvering, nobody’s happy with tampa right now lol

I've seen some holdouts from other teams still pulling for or indifferent towards Tampa. That changes with Perry now I bet.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:15 a.m.
Quoting: yikes
Same goes for both sides tho. I think the point being is a unfair tax issue in terms of parity. If you want parity in the league where players can get equal pay everywhere then it is a issue. Because yes I can sign a 70mil contract but it will not be the same everywhere and other places will give me a huge benefit (which I dont think anyone is to blame).

Because as a Canadian; I would NOT want to ever live or raise a family in most of the USA. There are select AREAS I would change my mind for but in general I would have little desire to move to the USA in general (ex: the USA ranks 122 in all countries on the peacefulness index compared to Canada at 10). Now thats a subjetive opinion of me having no desire to live there.

Objectively; Florida flexes a tax advantage than most places can never keep up with. Even other US states. I don't think theres a way to fix it really (there are but nothing "easy" for the league). In general a luxury cap should be added to allow anyone to have the choice of spending more. Like the MLSE would then gain a benefit compared to other Canadian markets because they can flex their wealth. This then causes other issues for other Canadian teams lol.

There wont be an easy objective fix: but there is a advantage for some teams that NO other teams get, not just Canadian. That takes away from the equal field the NHL tries to produce with their current structure (as all teams share in growth and revenue and spread the money throughout).

Well on paper a tax-adjusted cap would mean that “everyone would be payed the same” and it would come down to how the player feels about the city and how much tax adjusted money they get
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:19 a.m.
Canes fan
Team of the Remaining unsigned UFAs:

Ritchie - Krejci - Tatar
Parise - Donato - Palmieri
Galchenyuk - Bozak - Ryan
Thornton - Johansson - Brassard

Murray - Vatanen
Chara - Gustafsson
Djoos - Benn

Rask
Dubnyk
Devil, LeafsFan4Ever34, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:21 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Well on paper a tax-adjusted cap would mean that “everyone would be payed the same” and it would come down to how the player feels about the city and how much tax adjusted money they get

does the NBA have that in the luxury cap? jw idk off the top of my head
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: Dzinger18
Team of the Remaining unsigned UFAs:

Ritchie - Krejci - Tatar
Parise - Donato - Palmieri
Galchenyuk - Bozak - Ryan
Thornton - Johansson - Brassard

Murray - Vatanen
Chara - Gustafsson
Djoos - Benn

Rask
Dubnyk

I’d like the Flames to pick up Ryan, Kase, or Tatar on a cheap deal to supplement their forward group. The Sens only target should be Krejci or maybe Bozak, but I’d prefer to trade for a 2C at that point.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
Farewell

@Kotkaniemi15 Further to your point about Perry and Maroon being similar... smile
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:37 a.m.
Farewell
Yep, Canadian markets are at a disadvantage, the only way to equal out with the tax rates would be a tax-adjusted cap but NHL won’t do that

Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Well I wouldn't play in Canada if I was American... Not just because of pay etc.

Facts. #USA
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:38 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan

I 100% agree. I would never want to live in the US. But when you’re a millionaire the decisions are a bit different than what it would be for normal people. So there’s taxes and the fact that 78% of the potential jobs come from the US. And since they’re millionaires being cared for by billion dollar companies, they don’t have much else to worry about, except for things that money can’t change, like weather.
yikes and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Farewell
Edited Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.

I figured if Stephens was going to be on the move it was going to be to Detroit.

So this pretty much leaves the bottom 6 as some combination of: Perry, Bellemare, Maroon, Joseph, Colton, Barre-Boulet. Not the same as last year, but not bad, especially if Colton, Joseph, and Barre-Boulet can keep stepping up their games (Colton and Joseph I'm very confident in, Barre-Boulet a little less so). I would think the Lightning would sign one more forward as insurance, don't love the idea of Smith and Walcotte basically being the only options on the bench (now that Stephens is gone). I would love Tyler Bozak or Nikita Gusev (the former is probably the less expensive option).
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
I heff to be mad...
Quoting: Saskleaf
Um, what? Why is Montreal so low and Detroit so high?

They'll both miss the playoffs anyway
Saskleaf liked this.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 11:59 a.m.

I'm just messing around, I know what you mean and even places like buffalo have the same disadvantage. I've got bunches of friends and family in Canada so I know the facts lol.
Jul. 30, 2021 at 12:00 p.m.
I heff to be mad...
1. Vegas Golden Knights
2. Seattle Kraken
3. Los Angeles Kings
4. Arizona Coyotes
5. Calgary Flames
6. Vancouver Canucks
7. San Jose Sharks
8. Anaheim Ducks

My Pacific division predictions
Saskleaf liked this.