SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

Washington Fans Samsonov or Vanecek

Jun. 8, 2021 at 11:49 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Both Ilya Samsonov and Vitek Vanecek are eligible for the expansion draft. (I signed Samsonov to a new, bridge deal here just to make him visible.). I assume that you'll protect Samsonov and expose Vanecek. (If not, what's Samsonov's price on the trade market?) If so, what's Vanecek's price on the trade market?
Jun. 8, 2021 at 11:55 a.m.
KFTW
You have to go Samsonov imo. Trade Vanecek for a pick and then sign a cheap backup like Halak or Reimer
DogDayCaps2, OldNYIfan, Nhl_oilers and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 11:56 a.m.
Barzals skateblade
I'm no Washington fan but for me it's gotta be Vanecek. Not only did he play better this year, but his contract is still good for another year whereas Sammy is up now. Also Sammy doesn't seem like a person that Washington wants around. Sammy might have a higher ceiling , but don't sleep on Vanecek, he's more consistent and he can keep getting better.
down bad
Sammy is a star... just needs to stay healthy. i would protect him

Sammy = 1st basically a Varlomov 2.0 trade
V V = 2nd ... if teams are desperate + an average prospect
OldNYIfan, Trickster and csick liked this.
Ovchinnikov 137
Gotta think he makes the most sense to a team that can protect him. He could be a fit with say EDM or SJS. I see Leaf fans trading for him but we will be protecting Campbell. We'd lose him for sure.
IMO a 2nd or B+ prospect would do. Or a player that is exempt from the expansion draft
DogDayCaps2, OldNYIfan, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 11:57 a.m.
down bad
Quoting: Theo_nollaf
I'm no Washington fan but for me it's gotta be Vanecek. Not only did he play better this year, but his contract is still good for another year whereas Sammy is up now. Also Sammy doesn't seem like a person that Washington wants around. Sammy might have a higher ceiling , but don't sleep on Vanecek, he's more consistent and he can keep getting better.

Sammy is way better imo but both are great goalies. Sammy is a guy you trade and regret the rest of his career .... like rask
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Gotta think he makes the most sense to a team that can protect him. He could be a fit with say EDM or SJS. I see Leaf fans trading for him but we will be protecting Campbell. We'd lose him for sure.
IMO a 2nd or B+ prospect would do. Or a player that is exempt from the expansion draft

Yes, Edmonton is exactly the team I was thinking of. Thanks for the input!
MatthewsFan liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:04 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: DogDayCaps2
Sammy is way better imo but both are great goalies. Sammy is a guy you trade and regret the rest of his career .... like rask

Thanks for the input!
DogDayCaps2 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.

It's pretty much a 99% certainty that the Caps protect Samsonov. His ceiling is too high to expose. Vanecek had a good rookie season, but you can't give up on a first round draft pick that fast in his second season as an NHLer. He certainly won't get a contract as high as made in this post, but the potential is there. Vanecek probably has a 1B ceiling IMO.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:06 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Thanks for the input! You've put your finger on the problem -- the cost of signing Samsonov will be significant, which makes it difficult to find the money to re-up Ovechkin.
Theo_nollaf and csick liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:08 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Thanks for the input!

Bold prediction..... Capitals keep him and Kuzy and both of them have HUGE years. like lets say Kuzy scores 85p and Sammy finishes top 5-7 in Vez voting. Its a make or break year for both and i see them both playing angry next year to prove everyone wrong
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:08 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: staytru20
It's pretty much a 99% certainty that the Caps protect Samsonov. His ceiling is too high to expose. Vanecek had a good rookie season, but you can't give up on a first round draft pick that fast in his second season as an NHLer. He certainly won't get a contract as high as made in this post, but the potential is there. Vanecek probably has a 1B ceiling IMO.

Thanks for the input!
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:09 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
old prediction..... Capitals keep him and Kuzy and both of them have HUGE years. like lets say Kuzy scores 85p and Sammy finishes top 5-7 in Vez voting. Its a make or break year for both and i see them both playing angry next year to prove everyone wrong

But what about the other Russian? And I don't mean Orlov.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:09 p.m.
Vitek Vanecek is the one to go... I see Samsonov being their starter for a long time. I’ve been suggesting Ethan Bear for Vitek Vanecek trade happens before the draft. Vanecek has played one year, and has backup numbers. He played very bad in the playoff game they gave him. Bear has not been fitting with the oilers in my opinion, he has been doing very bad passes through the middle near our net, and getting beat wide, also has been out muscled for the puck. He has some great potential, but just needs a change of scenery. With Washington, he could play third, and trade Jenson, or second and trade Schultz if he can’t play left side.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:11 p.m.
hey look a squirrel
I'd love to get Vanecek on the Leafs.
Maybe Seattle takes him and we get from them.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
He played very bad in the playoff game they gave him.

To be fair, Vanecek got injured in the first period of game one against the Bruins on his fourth shot faced lol. Can't really say he played bad in a game where he gave up one goal and was injured on that play.
RawDeal liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: staytru20
To be fair, Vanecek got injured in the first period of game one against the Bruins on his fourth shot faced lol. Can't really say he played bad in a game where he gave up one goal and was injured on that play.

I apologize.. I didn’t know, I just thought he played bad. Thanks for the information though.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 12:19 p.m.
down bad
But what about the other Russian? And I don't mean Orlov.

Ovechkin? he's fine he had 4p in 5playoff games ... and 45gp 24g 18a 42p.... while having to sit out bc of COVID protocol 44g pace and 77p pace. imagine those would actually be higher if he didnt miss skating for 15 days. Ovechkin is fine playing im justworried that hes taking the Capitals to the bank....im hoping hesigns for 8- 9.5 but i think hes going to get 11m
Jun. 8, 2021 at 1:36 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Ovechkin? he's fine he had 4p in 5playoff games ... and 45gp 24g 18a 42p.... while having to sit out bc of COVID protocol 44g pace and 77p pace. imagine those would actually be higher if he didnt miss skating for 15 days. Ovechkin is fine playing im justworried that hes taking the Capitals to the bank....im hoping hesigns for 8- 9.5 but i think hes going to get 11m

No, I was so clever that you missed my point . . . which is that if Samsonov gets anything significant, it will be difficult to pay Ovechkin what he is undoubtedly looking for.
DogDayCaps2 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 1:41 p.m.
down bad
No, I was so clever that you missed my point . . . which is that if Samsonov gets anything significant, it will be difficult to pay Ovechkin what he is undoubtedly looking for.

ohh i got you.... i think Ovechkin and the Caps are trolling/ making it seem like there is a contract dispute so it doesnt look intentional that they arent signing him to not waste a protection spot... what im hoping for
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jun. 8, 2021 at 3:51 p.m.
KFTW
Thanks for the input! You've put your finger on the problem -- the cost of signing Samsonov will be significant, which makes it difficult to find the money to re-up Ovechkin.

One of Eller, Kuzy, Schultz, Dillon, Orlov will be gone, maybe even 2 of them
Jul. 13, 2021 at 10:44 p.m.
I'm going on the route of keeping VV.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 13, 2021 at 10:48 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: kendrick_67
I'm going on the route of keeping VV.

A bold move! We'll see in two weeks!
Sep. 5, 2021 at 4:21 p.m.
Go leafs go
Both Ilya Samsonov and Vitek Vanecek are eligible for the expansion draft. (I signed Samsonov to a new, bridge deal here just to make him visible.). I assume that you'll protect Samsonov and expose Vanecek. (If not, what's Samsonov's price on the trade market?) If so, what's Vanecek's price on the trade market?

A second, appearently.
Sep. 7, 2021 at 3:53 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
After seeing Samsonov in the playoffs, I'm much more confident in him moving forward. Granted it was only three games, but he was the only reason we had a shot in any of those three games. He made some incredibly athletic saves, especially when Boston was on the power play.
capsfan2121 and NoVaSpartan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll