Forums/Armchair-GM

A deal with Detroit

Created by: CapFriendlysFinest
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 9, 2021
Published: Jun. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I would love to acquire a guy like Bert from Detroit. I know he has high value which is why the large payment from TO. He fights, he scores, and he's a dressing room guy. I doubt Detroit would move him but I am intrested to see what people would say
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
5$5,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
4$4,000,000
1$1,000,000
1$2,000,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler [RFA Rights]
  2. 2021 4th round pick (TBL)
  3. 2022 4th round pick (VGK)
DET
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$81,500,000$80,729,783$0$400,000$770,217

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
G
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:35 a.m.
redw1n9s
I don't think this falls under large payment.

Kerfoot sucks, that's a low level prospect and a late 1st rounder. Easy no.
DeadWingsv2 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:36 a.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Let me get this straight - you want one of Detroit's best forwards AND 2 mid round picks, for an average prospect, a late 1st round pick and a cap dump? Try again.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:40 a.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
A team would have to overpay for Detroit to even entertain moving Bertuzzi right now. Hållander and the '22 1st is the cost... maybe more.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:42 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: DeadWingsv2
Let me get this straight - you want one of Detroit's best forwards AND 2 mid round picks, for an average prospect, a late 1st round pick and a cap dump? Try again.

Kerfoot is not a cap dump!!!!!!!!!!!! He is defiantly a good trade piece and proved that in the playoffs. Is he worth Tyler Bertuzzi, god no, but he is NOT A CAP DUMP
Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:50 a.m.
The 1st round pick is a nice starting point. I think Detroit would be looking for a different secondary piece as Kerfoot wouldn’t be that enticing to a rebuilding team (although he could be thrown in for cap purposes) and swapping mid round picks for a former mid- round pick is a scrap.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:09 a.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Kerfoot is not a cap dump!!!!!!!!!!!! He is defiantly a good trade piece and proved that in the playoffs. Is he worth Tyler Bertuzzi, god no, but he is NOT A CAP DUMP

Detroit would see him as a cap dump for the reason that he's not as good as the few centres they already have.

He would not be a good fit in Detroit and if a player isn't really useful to a team he will be considered a liability and not an asset.
DeadWingsv2 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:10 a.m.
Bedard23
Yzerman flat out blocks Toronto from trading with him again
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:15 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Billy12Bob
Detroit would see him as a cap dump for the reason that he's not as good as the few centres they already have.

He would not be a good fit in Detroit and if a player isn't really useful to a team he will be considered a liability and not an asset.

Come on, to say Kerfoot would not be an asset to a team that won 19 games this year, 17 games last year is just stupid. Kerfoot is like a swiss army knife that can play up and down the lineup, on the wing or at Center. If you don't like the player that's one thing but to think he wouldn't be a great addition to a team that is not good is not silly.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:17 a.m.
Deal needs to include Sandin otherwise not really interested in moving Bert.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:20 a.m.
Detroit would not accept this.

Bertuzzi fills a great need on the team right now and if he was to be traded any interested team would have to overpay to get him.

It would take an offer of Nylander + picks for Yzerman to consider this or perhaps Liljegren + Mikheyev + picks.

Bertuzzi is simply too important to Detroit to trade him for anything less than a haul.
IconicHawk liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:32 a.m.
Come on, to say Kerfoot would not be an asset to a team that won 19 games this year, 17 games last year is just stupid. Kerfoot is like a swiss army knife that can play up and down the lineup, on the wing or at Center. If you don't like the player that's one thing but to think he wouldn't be a great addition to a team that is not good is not silly.

He is not a good fit for Detroit.

He may be a decent player but there also has to be a roster spot open for him and there isn't in Detroit. Detroit will be offered several cap dump deals this year. One of those deals could well be to take on Tyler Johnson and getting paid handsomly to do so.

Detroit already have 9 waiver eligible wingers penned in for next year + Raymond and Berggren if we also take on Johnson we will have Larkin, Johnson, Veleno as our top-3 centres.

That's what makes Kerfoot hold no value to Detroit. There's no open spot for him and he's not good enough to beat out the guys we do have. He would be considered a liability AKA a cap dump.

His value may be totally different to another team but Detroit doesn't need players like him when we can get paid to get better ones.

You have to look at the needs and wants for both teams in a trade not just the one side.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:35 a.m.
PlusMinus is stupid

We already have that in Namestikov. My point just like the BillyBob12 said, was that to Detroit, he is a cap dump. He would definitely have value on a good team, but you're just proving the point about Detroit's win total and why he isn't a fit here - we don't need any more of that type of player, we need impact players. Players like Kerfoot help GOOD teams win more games, they only make teams like Detroit tread water and for that reason, he is a cap dump to us. He would have value somewhere else, just not in Detroit.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Let me make this clear, I never intended this to be the trade for Bert. Just the idea. I don't think this deal works at all for the red wings. I think Kerfoot is a piece that comes back regardless if you think hes good or not (He is a good player but not an amazing one). I also think Leafs need to include a 1st, prospect and other if they want to make a real stab at Bert.

Again as already stated tho, I doubt the Wings move on from one of their best forwards.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:58 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
He is not a good fit for Detroit.

He may be a decent player but there also has to be a roster spot open for him and there isn't in Detroit. Detroit will be offered several cap dump deals this year. One of those deals could well be to take on Tyler Johnson and getting paid handsomly to do so.

Detroit already have 9 waiver eligible wingers penned in for next year + Raymond and Berggren if we also take on Johnson we will have Larkin, Johnson, Veleno as our top-3 centres.

That's what makes Kerfoot hold no value to Detroit. There's no open spot for him and he's not good enough to beat out the guys we do have. He would be considered a liability AKA a cap dump.

His value may be totally different to another team but Detroit doesn't need players like him when we can get paid to get better ones.

You have to look at the needs and wants for both teams in a trade not just the one side.

Agree with all your points just, I am just calling out on him being consider a cap dump, he is not. Would be be a good fit if you don't acquire another player. But if he doesn't fit the group that is one thing sure.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:01 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
We already have that in Namestikov. My point just like the BillyBob12 said, was that to Detroit, he is a cap dump. He would definitely have value on a good team, but you're just proving the point about Detroit's win total and why he isn't a fit here - we don't need any more of that type of player, we need impact players. Players like Kerfoot help GOOD teams win more games, they only make teams like Detroit tread water and for that reason, he is a cap dump to us. He would have value somewhere else, just not in Detroit.

Well Namestikov could be taken by Seattle but again I am just stated that fact Kerfoot is not a cap dump. If he doesn't fit what DET is looking for fine, but he is a really good player that would help DET and any other team that would acquire him. Not trying to start anything, I'm just hate people always saying Kerfoot is a cap dump. He is not.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:09 p.m.
Agree with all your points just, I am just calling out on him being consider a cap dump, he is not. Would be be a good fit if you don't acquire another player. But if he doesn't fit the group that is one thing sure.

Toronto is way over the cap.
90% of your ACGMs are trying to trade him away.

That's pretty much the definition of a cap dump, isn't it? smile
Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Toronto is way over the cap.
90% of your ACGMs are trying to trade him away.

That's pretty much the definition of a cap dump, isn't it? smile

What, he is being taken by Seattle cause he is the best player available over Holl/Dermott/Engvall. And if he is being traded it is for a hockey deal so they don't lose out on a really good assets.
And let's be real, there a lot of terrible Leaf fans on here or trolls that pretend to be Leaf fans trying to get a rise out of people.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:39 p.m.
What, he is being taken by Seattle cause he is the best player available over Holl/Dermott/Engvall. And if he is being traded it is for a hockey deal so they don't lose out on a really good assets.
And let's be real, there a lot of terrible Leaf fans on here or trolls that pretend to be Leaf fans trying to get a rise out of people.

Well...

What makes a trade a cap dump or not isn't how good the player being traded is. It's the reason for him being traded that determines that.
Even a trade of Nylander for Bertuzzi could be called a cap dump.
Any trade where a team in cap trouble trades away salary for a return of lower salary could legit be called a cap dump.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:54 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Well...

What makes a trade a cap dump or not isn't how good the player being traded is. It's the reason for him being traded that determines that.
Even a trade of Nylander for Bertuzzi could be called a cap dump.
Any trade where a team in cap trouble trades away salary for a return of lower salary could legit be called a cap dump.

lol alright we are just going to back and forth. Ill just end it with this. Trading Skinnner, Parise, Ladd, Neal, etc are called cap dumps.
Billy12Bob liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:14 p.m.
lol alright we are just going to back and forth. Ill just end it with this. Trading Skinnner, Parise, Ladd, Neal, etc are called cap dumps.

smile

...and so are Tyler Johnson, Gostisbehere, and Gardiner...

We'll have to agree to disagree on that particular definition.
RedWing9119 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:18 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid

No, those are cap mudslides, haha

Cap dump does not have to equal bad player. I think that's where we're getting caught up in semantics. We're using it in the sense, that it's taking on any player which is being moved out from the previous team, solely due to cap reasons, in most cases for additional assets. That's a cap dump.

I think we can all agree Carey Price still has a lot of value (hell, he's basically carrying Montreal on his back right now), but when you factor in his term and salary, trading him would be a cap dump, due to how cumbersome his contract is.

On any note, I appreciate quality dialogue coming from any Leafs fan this off-season, as your fan base (as you've already acknowledged) can have the tendency to be, well... let's just say, a shade unreasonable, haha
RedWing9119 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:46 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
No, those are cap mudslides, haha

Cap dump does not have to equal bad player. I think that's where we're getting caught up in semantics. We're using it in the sense, that it's taking on any player which is being moved out from the previous team, solely due to cap reasons, in most cases for additional assets. That's a cap dump.

I think we can all agree Carey Price still has a lot of value (hell, he's basically carrying Montreal on his back right now), but when you factor in his term and salary, trading him would be a cap dump, due to how cumbersome his contract is.

On any note, I appreciate quality dialogue coming from any Leafs fan this off-season, as your fan base (as you've already acknowledged) can have the tendency to be, well... let's just say, a shade unreasonable, haha

For me I would break it down like this:

Sundqvist
Jenner
Cizikas
Faksa
Haula
Eller

All pretty similar in terms of cap hit and how each team utilizes said players. Would you call anyone of those guys, for this example all are signed, as cap dumps. My point to all of this has been Kerfoot is a very valuable player and would be an asset to anytime who gets him. And he just proved how valuable he is to the Leafs both in the playin series against CLB and the current run against MTL. He is a playoff performer! Someone all teams want. I hope the Leafs can protect him but if they can’t I hope they do trade him to get something quality in return instead of losing him to Seattle for nothing. His value on the trade market is higher than Dermott or Holl both players again who could be taken. I’d gladly see one of them leave instead of Kerfoot.

And yes it’s unfortunate that real and pretend Leaf fans have tainted his value
Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
For me I would break it down like this:

Sundqvist
Jenner
Cizikas
Faksa
Haula
Eller

All pretty similar in terms of cap hit and how each team utilizes said players. Would you call anyone of those guys, for this example all are signed, as cap dumps. My point to all of this has been Kerfoot is a very valuable player and would be an asset to anytime who gets him. And he just proved how valuable he is to the Leafs both in the playin series against CLB and the current run against MTL. He is a playoff performer! Someone all teams want. I hope the Leafs can protect him but if they can’t I hope they do trade him to get something quality in return instead of losing him to Seattle for nothing. His value on the trade market is higher than Dermott or Holl both players again who could be taken. I’d gladly see one of them leave instead of Kerfoot.

And yes it’s unfortunate that real and pretend Leaf fans have tainted his value

To me, it's subjective based on destination. Kerfoot doesn't fit in Detroit, so to Detroit, he is a cap dump. I would say the same about all of those players you listed TO Detroit, yet I would not consider them cap dumps to a very large number of teams where they'd fit better (same with Kerfoot). It all comes down to need, fit and destination.
MatthewsFan and Billy12Bob liked this.
Jun. 9, 2021 at 2:00 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
To me, it's subjective based on destination. Kerfoot doesn't fit in Detroit, so to Detroit, he is a cap dump. I would say the same about all of those players you listed TO Detroit, yet I would not consider them cap dumps to a very large number of teams where they'd fit better (same with Kerfoot). It all comes down to need, fit and destination.

😂 Agreed but for the love of god, Kerfoot and cap dump do not belong in the same sentence
Jun. 9, 2021 at 2:01 p.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
😂 Agreed but for the love of god, Kerfoot and cap dump do not belong in the same sentence

To Detroit, Kerfoot is a cap reallocation that we do not want. smile

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll