Isles 2021-22

Created by: slapshot723
Team: 2021-22 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 8, 2021
Published: Jun. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Expansion

Seattle claims Nick Leddy. Out of everyone available, Leddy makes the most sense for Seattle. They could claim Bellows, Koivula, Aho, or Dal Colle, but Leddy is a legit top-4 offensive LHD with only one year left on his deal. I think he would re-sign at his current deal or even less if he enjoys Seattle. Or even better, they could move him right after claiming to a team that could use him (Buffalo, Arizona, NJD, LA, WPG, Toronto, Columbus to name a few).

---

NYI-SJS (based on https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2457334)

Isles get a 2nd/3rd pairing LHD on a reasonable contract in Radim Simek, and a nice, two-way, versatile forward in Ryan Donato. Both these guys would really solidify the roster. Donato signs his QO here of one year, $2.15M. Chances are to save cap, he would not be qualified (not sure if he's QO eligible) or re-signed in 2022-23.

San Jose gets a starting goalie in Semyon Varlamov, at minimum someone who can tandem with Martin Jones. They also get Michael Dal Colle, a guy who can sign at the league minimum and maybe get a better role suited for him in a nice change of scenery. He's at least a good project for a team like San Jose to take on.

---

NYI-VGK

Isles get Brayden McNabb, a defensive LHD on an expiring contract who could pair very nicely with Noah Dobson, especially since Andy Greene will likely retire. Isles also get Nicolas Roy, a young-ish two-way center with offensive potential and can replace Casey Cizikas, who will likely be too expensive to bring back. McNabb would be a one-year rental, with Robin Salo or Samuel Bolduc ready to fight for that spot.

Vegas gets Kieffer Bellows, who can provide third-line production on his QO ($874,125 based on CapFriendly's QO calculator). He'd play with Cody Glass, his center in Juniors where they had tremendous success (Bellows 41 goals, 74 points in 56 games; Glass 102 points in 64 games). A potential third line of Bellows-Glass-Tuch could be filthy. They also would save a tiny bit of cap space, which they could use to just have, or they could even go after Eichel (that's at least what I'm hoping for, a line of Pacioretty-Eichel-Stone would dominate the NHL).

---

Other Notes:
- Anthony Beauvillier signed to a four-year deal with a $4.1M cap hit. Basically the forward version of the Devon Toews contract.
- Adam Pelech signed to a six-year deal with a $4.4M cap hit. I used guys like Jakob Chychrun, Marcus Pettersson, John Marino, Shayne Gostisbehere, and Rasmus Andersson as direction here.
- Ilya Sorokin signed to a two-year deal with a $4M cap hit. I figured the Elvis Merzlikins deal was comparable enough here.
- Devan Dubnyk is signed to a one-year deal at $900k. I figured he's the best option of all G available to potentially play at a high level for a backup, and sign a cheap contract given the cap constraints.
- Thomas Hickey is bought out, charging the Islanders $833,334 for two seasons.
- Andrew Ladd is sent to BPT in this, not on LTIR. I wanted to make sure in case he's not put on LTIR, I can still make all the moves I made. Obviously, I was able to, but if he does go on LTIR it creates a ton more flexibility for the Isles to get another defenseman, a better backup G, or 3LW. Honestly, I probably wouldn't make the SJ deal if Ladd is on LTIR and just keep Varlamov, while signing UFAs to fill Donato and Simek's spots in the AGM.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$4,100,000
6$4,400,000
2$4,000,000
2$850,000
2$850,000
1$2,150,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
Trades
NYI
    Protection List

Forwards: Barzal, Beauvillier, Nelson, Lee, Pageau, Eberle, Bailey
    Defense: Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield
    Goalie: Varlamov
    SEA
    1. Leddy, Nick
    Additional Details:
    Claimed by Seattle in Expansion.
    VGK
    1. Bellows, Kieffer [RFA Rights]
    2. 2022 2nd round pick (COL)
    Buyouts
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the NYI
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$81,087,522$1,365,854$1,075,000$412,478

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the New York Islanders
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW
    NTC
    UFA - 5
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    C, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 3
    $2,150,000$2,150,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    C
    NTC
    UFA - 5
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RW
    RFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,400,000$4,400,000
    LD
    UFA - 8
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    G
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,450,000$1,450,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $725,000$725,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW, LW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:50 a.m.
    Kravtsov_Stan
    I feel like Pelech will demand more
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 10:54 a.m.
    NYI
    Quoting: Kravtsov_Stan
    I feel like Pelech will demand more

He could. Like I said, I used some pretty fair comparables here. A lot of these defensemen seem to be getting six-year deals in the mid-$4M range. I think he's the best defensive defenseman in the NHL, but his offense isn't really there. He's been getting some points but that's not his game. Either way, I don't think he should be getting more than $5M.
    Kravtsov_Stan liked this.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:22 a.m.
    Dekesaladekes
    Quoting: slapshot723
    He could. Like I said, I used some pretty fair comparables here. A lot of these defensemen seem to be getting six-year deals in the mid-$4M range. I think he's the best defensive defenseman in the NHL, but his offense isn't really there. He's been getting some points but that's not his game. Either way, I don't think he should be getting more than $5M.

Islanders might not offer him 5 mill but I’m sure there is many teams in the league that would offer him 5 mill plus and considering he’s an rfa islander would have to either match or take the compensation, if Jacob Trouba can get 8 mill and krug can get 6.5 mill just for an elite power play quartback and solid offensive production then pelech can get atleast 5.5mill to be a shutdown guy
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:39 a.m.
    Isles7
    Quoting: Dekes
    Islanders might not offer him 5 mill but I’m sure there is many teams in the league that would offer him 5 mill plus and considering he’s an rfa islander would have to either match or take the compensation, if Jacob Trouba can get 8 mill and krug can get 6.5 mill just for an elite power play quartback and solid offensive production then pelech can get atleast 5.5mill to be a shutdown guy

offersheets rarely happen and I doubt pelech would get one
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 11:41 a.m.
    Isles7

Pelech drives offense at an elite level , he just doesn't put up a ton of points because he doesn't play on the PP and the isles don't have a lot of finishing talent. But he still plays 20+ on a SC contending team, he's on a 6 year deal he'll get 5 mill at least
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:12 p.m.
    NYI

I guess $5.5M would be the absolute highest I'd go, but let's not act like offer sheets are real threats. There have been three in the last ten years. Trouba and Krug are apples and oranges to Pelech.

Quoting: Isles777
    Pelech drives offense at an elite level , he just doesn't put up a ton of points because he doesn't play on the PP and the isles don't have a lot of finishing talent. But he still plays 20+ on a SC contending team, he's on a 6 year deal he'll get 5 mill at least

If that's what he gets I'm cool with it. I'm just noting the comparables and didn't even mention the flat cap.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:16 p.m.
    I really like that deal for both teams.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:20 p.m.
    Isles7
    I guess $5.5M would be the absolute highest I'd go, but let's not act like offer sheets are real threats. There have been three in the last ten years. Trouba and Krug are apples and oranges to Pelech.

If that's what he gets I'm cool with it. I'm just noting the comparables and didn't even mention the flat cap.

I think pelech gets 5 mill x 4-5 years. He's a Norris caliber defenseman
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:28 p.m.
    NYI
    Quoting: papishark
    I really like that deal for both teams.

Me too, took me a little maneuvering but it really makes sense. I've wanted Donato for a while and Simek seems like a natural fit with our need and our need for a LHD and his contract. Also, since you're the Sharks fan, can you give me a bit of a scouting report on Simek?

I don't know about Norris calibre, there's a reason he doesn't play on the PP. But like I said earlier, I think he's the best defensive defenseman in the NHL. I wouldn't trade him for Nylander straight up if that was proposed to us. Let's sign him for 6+ years. If it takes $5M, so be it.
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:29 p.m.
    VGKNation702
    It’s not bad, but I don’t see vegas moving Mcnabb. He is cheap, knows his role to a T, excellent at it. Roy and Tuch have a thing building with chemistry. I wouldn’t have Bellows but I think this trade makes them a worse current team, and with championship aspirations the future 2nd doesn’t really help now
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:30 p.m.
    Isles7
    Me too, took me a little maneuvering but it really makes sense. I've wanted Donato for a while and Simek seems like a natural fit with our need and our need for a LHD and his contract. Also, since you're the Sharks fan, can you give me a bit of a scouting report on Simek?

I don't know about Norris calibre, there's a reason he doesn't play on the PP. But like I said earlier, I think he's the best defensive defenseman in the NHL. I wouldn't trade him for Nylander straight up if that was proposed to us. Let's sign him for 6+ years. If it takes $5M, so be it.

Pelech was a top 5 all around defenseman NHL this season and is deserving of Norris votes. Hes elite at driving offense at even strength, as you can see he’s in the 92nd percentile for even strength offense. Tbh he should be on the powerplay over Leddy
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:31 p.m.
    Isles7

Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:34 p.m.
    Isles555
    Feel like we don’t pay enough in the VGK trade.. I absolutely love his outcome tho
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 12:38 p.m.
    NYI
    Quoting: VGKNation702
    It’s not bad, but I don’t see vegas moving Mcnabb. He is cheap, knows his role to a T, excellent at it. Roy and Tuch have a thing building with chemistry. I wouldn’t have Bellows but I think this trade makes them a worse current team, and with championship aspirations the future 2nd doesn’t really help now

That's fair, I know it's a bit of a risky move for VGK but figured I'd try. I was hoping the appeal would be the cap space to potentially get Eichel or another top-6 center, unless Vegas is cool with Stephenson or expecting Glass to step up next year.

I assume you meant you "wouldn't mind Bellows". What would you give up for him? I was always interested in a Bellows for Hague swap but Hague seems to have stepped up this season. Would you trade a 3rd and an LHD prospect for him before the Expansion Draft?
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 1:36 p.m.
    VGKNation702
    That's fair, I know it's a bit of a risky move for VGK but figured I'd try. I was hoping the appeal would be the cap space to potentially get Eichel or another top-6 center, unless Vegas is cool with Stephenson or expecting Glass to step up next year.

I assume you meant you "wouldn't mind Bellows". What would you give up for him? I was always interested in a Bellows for Hague swap but Hague seems to have stepped up this season. Would you trade a 3rd and an LHD prospect for him before the Expansion Draft?

Yes that’s what I meant lol. I wouldn’t use Hague, like you said he’s progressing. I think that depends if we bring Janmark back….3rd and a LHD prospect like Ahac would be fine
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 3:32 p.m.
    Dekesaladekes

I do like pelech a lot but he is not Norris caliber, the Norris trophy is so more aimed towards who has the highest points as a defencemen rather then who’s the best defender. Even if they considered defence and offence evenly in the voting pelech still wouldn’t win because he’s way below guys like Herman, makar, fox, mcavoy in terms of offence and only a few stepping stones ahead of some on them
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 3:40 p.m.
    Isles7
    I do like pelech a lot but he is not Norris caliber, the Norris trophy is so more aimed towards who has the highest points as a defencemen rather then who’s the best defender. Even if they considered defence and offence evenly in the voting pelech still wouldn’t win because he’s way below guys like Herman, makar, fox, mcavoy in terms of offence and only a few stepping stones ahead of some on them

Yeah based on the leagues standards he’s not Norris caliber . You’re right - But it’s fair to say Pelech was a top 5 defenseman in the league this season and he was better than hedman - hedman was just nominated based on reputation
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 3:43 p.m.
    Isles7

Best defenseman in the league this season:
    1. Mcavoy
    2. Makar
    3. Fox
    4. Weegar
    5. Pelech
    Jun. 9, 2021 at 4:06 p.m.
    NYI
    Quoting: VGKNation702
    Yes that’s what I meant lol. I wouldn’t use Hague, like you said he’s progressing. I think that depends if we bring Janmark back….3rd and a LHD prospect like Ahac would be fine

I'd do that if it's before the Expansion Draft.
    VGKNation702 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll