Forums/Armchair-GM

Hear Me Out

Created by: tstrauss16
Team: 2021-22 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 9, 2021
Published: Jun. 9, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trade #1: Expansion Draft - Blues trade Mikkola and Toropchenko, so that the Seattle Kraken select Barbashev in the Expansion Draft. Mikkola and Barbashev would be depth guys on Seattle, and Toropchenko can work his way through the farm system.

Trade #2: Between the Expansion Draft and Entry Draft - Blues trade Dunn to Detriot for the 22nd overall pick in the 2021 NHL Entry Draft. Very mixed ideas on Dunn going to Detriot, but overall getting a young potential Top 4 D doesn't hurt.

Trade #3: Between the Expansion Draft and Entry Draft - Blues trade Blais to Montreal for Brook and a pick. Blues getting a solid RD prospect and Montreal receive a hardworking forward.

Trade #4: NHL Entry Draft - these are the Blues ideal selections, obviously it is subject to change, but in an ideal scenario the Blues should be set up pretty well with these selections.

Re-Sign: Kyrou to a 2 year $7M deal (remains a RFA after expiration), Thomas to a 3 year $9.9M deal (remains a RFA after expiration), Bozak to a 1 year $1.5M deal, Sanford to a 3 year $5.1M deal

Trade #5: Offseason Trade - I have a feeling I will get reamed for this trade BUT THIS IS ONLY IF THE BLUES HAVE A DEAL ALREADY SET WITH HAMILTON AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Blues trade Parayko to Vancouver for Miller. Vancouver will receive a true defenseman who can pair with Hughes. Blues get a Top 6 F. I think 1 for 1 is a pretty fair trade in my eyes, but someone may add I don't know who.

Free Agent Signing: Only works, like I said, if the Blues are serious serious contenders for Dougie Hamilton. By serious serious, I mean he already is on Zillow looking for a house in the area.

Trade #6: PATTY BABY NOTHING MORE TO SAY

After this season line-up:

Schenn -- O'Reilly -- Perron (rs 1 yr)
Kyrou -- Miller -- Tarasenko
Neighbours -- Sillinger -- Thomas
Sanford -- Sunny -- Kostin
Faulk -- Hamilton
Krug -- Scandella
Walman -- Perunovich
Binnington
Husso/FA
Ex: Joshua, Tucker, Santini

For all the Parayko trade haters, this same scenario works, excluding the Parayko for Miller trade and Hamilton signing. If the Blues keep Parayko (extend him during the season for 6 years in the ballpark of ~$6.3M AAV) and sign RNH to a 6 year $6.6M AAV deal, they would be in the same spot. Just interchange RNH and Miller, Parayko and Hamilton
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,500,000
3$3,300,000
3$1,700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
7$8,000,000
Trades
STL
    Expansion Draft
    STL
    1. 2021 1st round pick (WSH)
    DET
    1. Dunn, Vince [RFA Rights]
    STL
    1. Brook, Josh
    2. 2021 4th round pick (STL)
    STL
      16 oa - C. Sillinger
      22 oa - M. Coronato or S. Robertsson
      3rd - Puck-Moving RD
      4th - Give me a LW with speed
      5th - LD with solid playmaking
      6th - RW grinder
      7th - some forward
      SEA
      1. 2021 1st round pick (STL)
      2. 2021 1st round pick (WSH)
      3. 2021 3rd round pick (STL)
      4. 2021 4th round pick (STL)
      5. 2021 5th round pick (STL)
      6. 2021 6th round pick (STL)
      7. 2021 7th round pick (DET)
      TBL
      1. 2022 4th round pick (STL)
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      Logo of the STL
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$81,500,000$71,969,682$306,349$425,000$9,530,318

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the St. Louis Blues
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      C, LW
      NTC
      UFA - 7
      $1,875,000$1,875,000
      C
      UFA - 2
      $4,000,000$4,000,000
      RW, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $3,500,000$3,500,000
      RW
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
      $5,250,000$5,250,000
      C, LW, RW
      UFA - 2
      $3,750,000$3,750,000
      RW
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
      $900,000$900,000
      LW, RW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $3,300,000$3,300,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 2
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 2
      $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
      LW, RW
      RFA - 1
      $1,700,000$1,700,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      RD
      NTC
      UFA - 6
      $8,000,000$8,000,000
      RD
      UFA - 7
      $6,000,000$6,000,000
      G
      NTC
      UFA - 6
      $6,500,000$6,500,000
      LD
      NTC
      UFA - 6
      $3,275,000$3,275,000
      LD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 3
      $1,375,000$1,375,000
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $725,000$725,000
      LD
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $900,000$900,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      RD
      UFA - 2
      Taxi Squad
      $925,000$925,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$1,300,000$1M)
      LD
      RFA - 1
      $808,333$808,333 ($0$0$0$0)
      LD/RD
      RFA - 2
      Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
      $795,000$795,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
      RD
      UFA - 1
      $795,000$795,000 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
      G
      RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:01 p.m.
      I think the Vancouver trade is very interesting. I think if Parayko could be resigned as part of the deal, then I would do it as a Canucks fan. If not, it's too high a price for a 1 year rental.
      tstrauss16 and PeterForsberg21 liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:05 p.m.
      Good job explaining all your moves. Its fun to read something like that.

1st, I think Kyrou and Thomas signings are too much money.

2nd, I don't think we need to pay Seattle to take Barbie, plus Mikkola is showing very good sign of a though rugged dman that want to learn and fight. I would keep him.

3rd, the trade for Dunn and Blais are good ones even if I would keep Blais. For the Vancouver one, I think we can wait and give Parayko another healthy season before pulling the trigger, even if Miller is exactly the kind of guy St Louis want.

4th, I would prefer to see Faulk playing on his good side rather than with Hamilton. Also that would make a hell of a paycheck for our D core.

5th, if Maroon wins another cup with TBL maybe he will stay there.

Last but not least, if I could pay for Seattle to take someone it would be Sanford.
      tstrauss16 and Radu47 liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:05 p.m.
      Vegan Commie Hipster
      How the Dickens is Dunn not a top 4 D as we speak

0.4 career pts per game

Corsi rel out the whazoo

Incredibly dynamic talent

From an analytical perspective he is absolutely destroying 3rd pairing usage in sheltered deployment which makes him easily a top 4 D if not top pair
      tstrauss16 liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:14 p.m.
      Detroit will be happy to take Dunn off your hands.

He will find a nice home on the left side for the next decade.
      Radu47 and Twins1568 liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:19 p.m.
      Lets Go Blues
      You have to consider the expansion side deals like this: if Dunn's market value is pick #22, then Seattle would need to get something more valuable than pick #22 in order to agree not to select Dunn. Would any team give a 1st round pick for 4C Barbashev, 7th D Mikkola, and AHLer Toropchenko? Probably makes more sense to deal Dunn before expansion, and settle with losing a Barby/Blais/Sanford.

I like the creativity of adding Hamilton and moving Parayko, but I still think that defensive unit is a little sketchy when it comes to playing in their own end. Hopefully they'd see more of the puck and wouldn't have to.

Maroon worked for us on that line in the past, but I think the team is already way too slow overall, and adding Patty takes them in the wrong direction.

I'd rather the money for an NHL quality backup than pay 1.7m for Sanford on the 4th line.
      tstrauss16 liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:21 p.m.
      Quoting: Radu47

0.4 career pts per game

Corsi rel out the whazoo

From an analytical perspective he is absolutely destroying 3rd pairing usage in sheltered deployment which makes him easily a top 4 D if not top pair

Dunn will be a nice top-4 D in Detroit and get a lot more icetime too.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 6:51 p.m.
      PDG over PDO
      I am going to give you huge props for the Van trade there is value their if Prayko re-signs it's definitely something Van thinks about
      tstrauss16 and PeterForsberg21 liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:10 p.m.
      Quoting: sedin33
      I think the Vancouver trade is very interesting. I think if Parayko could be resigned as part of the deal, then I would do it as a Canucks fan. If not, it's too high a price for a 1 year rental.

I totally agree, I think the intention would be to keep Parayko in Vancouver long-term
      sedin33 liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:13 p.m.

0.4 career pts per game

Corsi rel out the whazoo

BOOM, I don't know why some people really undersell him. I think the way the Blues have set things up (Faulk, Scandella, Krug, Parayko presumably) all being long-term, they just can't fit Dunn in the top 4 without getting a rid of 1 of those contracts.
      Radu47 and Billy12Bob liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:14 p.m.
      Quoting: theleano1
      I am going to give you huge props for the Van trade there is value their if Prayko re-signs it's definitely something Van thinks about

I agree, I think with Parayko re-signing it makes Vancouver more willing to do the deal
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:20 p.m.
      Quoting: A_K
      You have to consider the expansion side deals like this: if Dunn's market value is pick #22, then Seattle would need to get something more valuable than pick #22 in order to agree not to select Dunn. Would any team give a 1st round pick for 4C Barbashev, 7th D Mikkola, and AHLer Toropchenko? Probably makes more sense to deal Dunn before expansion, and settle with losing a Barby/Blais/Sanford.

I like the creativity of adding Hamilton and moving Parayko, but I still think that defensive unit is a little sketchy when it comes to playing in their own end. Hopefully they'd see more of the puck and wouldn't have to.

Maroon worked for us on that line in the past, but I think the team is already way too slow overall, and adding Patty takes them in the wrong direction.

I'd rather the money for an NHL quality backup than pay 1.7m for Sanford on the 4th line.

No I totally agree with the Hamilton/Parayko situation. I put the disclosure at the end of the description with the RNH and Parayko approach. I think I was hesitant to trade Dunn before the deadline because previous posts got annihilated because Dunn isn't worth a 1st before the expansion draft for some reason. I personally don't see the difference between trading Dunn before or after the expansion draft. I think I did the Maroon deal because the Blues just need a 1 year LW on the 3rd line before Neighbours joins the NHL.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:27 p.m.
      Quoting: Twins1568
      Good job explaining all your moves. Its fun to read something like that.

1st, I think Kyrou and Thomas signings are too much money.

2nd, I don't think we need to pay Seattle to take Barbie, plus Mikkola is showing very good sign of a though rugged dman that want to learn and fight. I would keep him.

3rd, the trade for Dunn and Blais are good ones even if I would keep Blais. For the Vancouver one, I think we can wait and give Parayko another healthy season before pulling the trigger, even if Miller is exactly the kind of guy St Louis want.

4th, I would prefer to see Faulk playing on his good side rather than with Hamilton. Also that would make a hell of a paycheck for our D core.

5th, if Maroon wins another cup with TBL maybe he will stay there.

Last but not least, if I could pay for Seattle to take someone it would be Sanford.

I appreciate the positivity smile

1) Yes, Thomas and Kyrou are probably overvalued here, I think realistically Thomas does get a Rope Hintz deal and Kyrou gets a 2 yr deal between 2.75-3.25M AAV

2) I think if Blues trade Dunn prior to the expansion draft, let Seattle pick who they want naturally, if that's Sanford great, if it's Barbashev great

3) I agree about the trades too. I love Blais, but that RD prospect might be a major appeal. I put a disclosure at the bottom with Parayko staying and Blues signing RNH (if you wanna see that in a post form I can do that too - just lmk)

4) I didn't want Faulk in Hamilton's shadow so I put them together

5) Maroon realistically stays in TB, Blues probably try for a veteran guy on a 1 year deal
      Radu47 and Twins1568 liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:35 p.m.
      Wings decline and offer EDM 2nd+ for Dunn. Or lose him to Seattle for nothing if you prefer
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:40 p.m.
      Quoting: Drw4209
      Wings decline and offer EDM 2nd+ for Dunn. Or lose him to Seattle for nothing if you prefer

Or or the Blues just trade Dunn to NJD for the NYI 1st Rd Pick
      Billy12Bob liked this.
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:51 p.m.
      Vegan Commie Hipster
      Quoting: Billy12Bob
      Detroit will be happy to take Dunn off your hands.

He will find a nice home on the left side for the next decade.

He and Seider seem like a really nice fit

Maybe LHugh Hronek 2nd pair

Not too shabby
      Jun. 9, 2021 at 7:52 p.m.

0.4 career pts per game

Corsi rel out the whazoo

I get what you are saying but with your description why is STL even trading him? Analytics can only give you part of the picture.
      Jun. 10, 2021 at 12:33 a.m.
      Quoting: tstrauss16
      No I totally agree with the Hamilton/Parayko situation. I put the disclosure at the end of the description with the RNH and Parayko approach. I think I was hesitant to trade Dunn before the deadline because previous posts got annihilated because Dunn isn't worth a 1st before the expansion draft for some reason. I personally don't see the difference between trading Dunn before or after the expansion draft. I think I did the Maroon deal because the Blues just need a 1 year LW on the 3rd line before Neighbours joins the NHL.

It could make a difference for Detroit whether Dunn goes before or after the expansion draft.

Detroit has a need for a further acquisition on LD and getting Dunn before the draft would complicate things considerably, they already have problems deciding which of Cholowski/Lindström/Stecher to protect and if they take on another LD (like Gostisbehere) and also Dunn ahead of the draft then they would either have to pay Seattle to take Namestnikov or Pánik or risk losing someone they really want to keep.

The difference in price for Dunn before or after essentially reflects the extra cost that would have to go to Seattle, either in picks or in losing the wrong player.

Trading for Dunn after the expansion draft just makes everything much easier and that also makes it easier to part with the Washington pick.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll