Forums/Armchair-GM

Marner Trade Ideas Read Description

Created by: pokachyCP
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 11, 2021
Published: Jun. 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
These are just some players that I would like if the Leafs were to trade Marner - how would trades centred around these players for Marner look in terms of additional assets on either side?
Trades
TOR
  1. Pionk, Neal [RFA Rights]
WPG
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$81,500,000$118,632,283$0$0-$37,132,283
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$1,645,000$1,645,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$5,850,000$5,850,000
RW, C
UFA - 5
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$4,750,000$4,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$2,550,000$2,550,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$4,850,000$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
G
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$5,200,000$5,200,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:20 p.m.
you arent getting Girard from the Avs thats for sure...bc no one is touching Marner and his cap hit during the flat cap
Foppa21 liked this.
GO FLAMES GO
Remove Colorado,Vegas-Cap straped
Calgary-Lindholm isn't for trade
Vegas will not be trading a $4.7 million Tuch for a $11 million Marner who can't produce in the Playoffs
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:23 p.m.
To be completely honest if hypothetically the Leafs were to move Marner I would think they would rather pull in some serious draft capital and then use the cap space to sign a free agent (eg Taylor Hall) extend Rielly and use that draft Capitol to acquire ELC or end of ELC talent
Leafsfan416 liked this.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:49 p.m.
who? what?
for the flyers, I'd start with Holl and a 2nd and negotiate from there
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Boomer125
To be completely honest if hypothetically the Leafs were to move Marner I would think they would rather pull in some serious draft capital and then use the cap space to sign a free agent (eg Taylor Hall) extend Rielly and use that draft Capitol to acquire ELC or end of ELC talent

I’m ready to move on from Morgan but agreed the best Marner trade is creating cap space
Jun. 11, 2021 at 1:58 p.m.
What in tarnation
Biggest win in any hypothetical Marner trade is the freed cap space. Good value will not be something they get from here.

Aside from PHI, no one suggested here can afford bringing Marner in without serious cap management, which may ultimately lead the team becoming even worse.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 2:07 p.m.
Dealing marner is similarly like dealing eichel with those cap hits your just not going to have the pick of the litter around the league going to be VERY limited on which teams can even consider such a move and those teams aren’t likely going to be giving up prized prospects because they just took in a massive salary need those type of young prospects to play for cheap. Might be able to get quantity of draft capital but going to need to accept later round picks and some dead cap just for any trade to go threw. It’s an unfortunate time to pull the trigger on a high salary player worth a lot less than they would be if COVID didn’t cause the issues it has.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 2:18 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Biggest win in any hypothetical Marner trade is the freed cap space. Good value will not be something they get from here.

Aside from PHI, no one suggested here can afford bringing Marner in without serious cap management, which may ultimately lead the team becoming even worse.

Not really true, Marner has a large amount of value, this is the same kid that 2 offseasons ago this entire site was claiming Marner would get Offer sheets at 10+ , outside of the AAV the cash value is less than 6 million a year so with the loss of revenue that many many teams suffered through covid acquiring a top 10 F in the league who produces at a ppg with his hands tied is incredibly salivating for any organization on a budget
Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:24 p.m.
What in tarnation
Not really true, Marner has a large amount of value, this is the same kid that 2 offseasons ago this entire site was claiming Marner would get Offer sheets at 10+ , outside of the AAV the cash value is less than 6 million a year so with the loss of revenue that many many teams suffered through covid acquiring a top 10 F in the league who produces at a ppg with his hands tied is incredibly salivating for any organization on a budget

Don't get me wrong - a regular season Marner as a played is as good as they get on his position and his performance would be very valuable for frankly any team. Unfortunately, there's just two problems.

1) his inability to keep up that game in the playoffs
2) that contract of his is impossible to take for any non-pseudo contender

Ultimately, my point is this - as long as TOR (or frankly any team) is wasting this much money to a player who can't compete and produce for anything else than the president's trophy, that player is not going to be valuable for true SC contenders. Which is why getting rid off that sort of contract in itself is valuable.

I'm not inherently saying that Marner doesn't have value - he could very well boost half of the league to fight for the playoff spot, and TOR will certainly get something ok in return. But until he can start producing on the playoffs, he's no use for a contender to manage for.

People here, myself included, wasn't aware of what kind of a hole Leafs might've been digging for themselves with that contract, and that applies to all offer sheets of the posted here as well. I'm pretty sure most of the teams are happy that their any potential offers didn't go through.
Jun. 11, 2021 at 7:16 p.m.
Don't get me wrong - a regular season Marner as a played is as good as they get on his position and his performance would be very valuable for frankly any team. Unfortunately, there's just two problems.

Ultimately, my point is this - as long as TOR (or frankly any team) is wasting this much money to a player who can't compete and produce for anything else than the president's trophy, that player is not going to be valuable for true SC contenders. Which is why getting rid off that sort of contract in itself is valuable.

I'm not inherently saying that Marner doesn't have value - he could very well boost half of the league to fight for the playoff spot, and TOR will certainly get something ok in return. But until he can start producing on the playoffs, he's no use for a contender to manage for.

People here, myself included, wasn't aware of what kind of a hole Leafs might've been digging for themselves with that contract, and that applies to all offer sheets of the posted here as well. I'm pretty sure most of the teams are happy that their any potential offers didn't go through.

You're basing all of your observation on a single palyoff series, Marner has in his career produced 25 pts in 35 playoff games , the issue everyone is focused on is the lack of goals he has scored which frankly should be irrelevant as he is not goal scorer he is the setup man, like Matthews had 1 goal that whole series is he now worthless?
Jun. 11, 2021 at 7:20 p.m.

You're basing all of your observation on a single palyoff series, Marner has in his career produced 25 pts in 35 playoff games , the issue everyone is focused on is the lack of goals he has scored which frankly should be irrelevant as he is not goal scorer he is the setup man, like Matthews had 1 goal that whole series is he now worthless?

Outside of that who cares if he's traded to a "contender" or a rebuilding team , Marner does not have any NMC or NTC or even a modified NTC he can be traded anywhere with no discussion with him at all, there is at least 10 teams with little to know playoff entry over the last 6-10 seasons that would would be extactic to see 4 post season games
Jun. 11, 2021 at 7:38 p.m.
What in tarnation
Outside of that who cares if he's traded to a "contender" or a rebuilding team , Marner does not have any NMC or NTC or even a modified NTC he can be traded anywhere with no discussion with him at all, there is at least 10 teams with little to know playoff entry over the last 6-10 seasons that would would be extactic to see 4 post season games

I literally said that Marner could be a good acquisition for a team that needs the boost to make the playoffs. I'm not disputing that. But teams like that might not have much to offer for the Leafs, because seldom do we see from teams mid retooling such huge moves. Of my recent memory I can think of CBJ and ARI, acquiring Duchene and Hall respectively, and that got them only so far. Both were rental acquisitions, but the return players like them got wouldn't be even close to what Leafs would deem acceptable - furthermore these teams only offered futures as it'd wouldn't really work in their favor to offer established assets they need in order to succeed. Something Leafs wouldn't trade Marner for in their current situation.

So, to answer your question, both Leafs and the team offering for Marner absolutely care about where and what he gets traded for, because there's only so many teams that could do a deal with Leafs that are beneficial to both parties. I'd estimate the number of them being much less than "at least 10". Probably not even 5.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll