Forums/Armchair-GM

2nd round minimum

Created by: MauriceArthur15
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 11, 2021
Published: Jun. 11, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A new look Leafs. The Leafs try to build on their success in the regular seasomn and hopefully in the playoffs.

Kerfoot is lost to expansion.

Pierre Engvall is trade for a 6th to NJD.

Morgan Rielly to LA. Rielly signs an extension with LA, and Toronto get Tyler Madden, Sean Walker and a 3rd. This is a move to get the Kings into the playoffs next year. Expect them to go after a Defensive partner for Doughty and play Rielly with Roy for an awesome top 4.

Leafs trade for Max Domi. CBJ retains half and gets, Malgin, Dermott and SDA. This is move for CBJ to go young and give 2 players opportunities couldn't get in Toronto. They also get a B-tier prospect back to start rebuilding the prospect pool. Ik a lot of people will say its under-valued but look at the Leafs perspective. They're getting a UFA at the end of next season, and player with back to back down years coming off a shoulder surgery.

Lastly Hutch to TBL. TBL needs a cheap backup with their cap situation. TBL gets Hutch who had a above .910% sv and a solid GAA. They give up a 7th for it as its. pretty much nothing.

With the money freed up Leafs bring in Brandon Saad, Alex Wennberg and Barclay Goodrow. They also resign Spezza and Rittich. The 5 UFA signing gives the Leafs strong depth as they now have 3 scoring lines and a real shutdown/defensive line. Expect another big deadline acquisition later in the year to bolster wherever they need to improve.

LMK what y'all think down below. Have a great rest of your day.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
2$850,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,000,000
3$2,500,000
3$3,500,000
1$750,000
1$800,000
1$1,500,000
Trades
TOR
    Expansion Draft
    TOR
    1. 2022 6th round pick (NJD)
    TOR
    1. Madden, Tyler
    2. Walker, Sean
    3. 2022 3rd round pick (LAK)
    LAK
    1. Rielly, Morgan
    Additional Details:
    Rielly resigns long-term
    TOR
    1. Domi, Max ($2,650,000 retained)
    TOR
    1. 2021 7th round pick (NSH)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the NSH
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the LAK
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$77,104,783$0$400,000$4,395,217

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
    -$1,325,000-$1,325,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $11,640,250$11,640,250
    C
    UFA - 3
    $10,903,000$10,903,000
    RW
    UFA - 4
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $796,667$796,667
    LW, RW
    RFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 6
    $725,000$725,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,645,000$1,645,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD/RD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
    $2,650,000$2,650,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,650,000$1,650,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    LD
    NTC
    UFA - 3
    $894,167$894,167
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $825,000$825,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $800,000$800,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 5:31 p.m.
    I like to hockey
    Just bc NJ can take another teams trash doesn’t mean they should. I’ll take the risk on the 6th round pick
    NHLfan10506 liked this.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 5:39 p.m.
    I still think LA says no to this.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 5:39 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    Quoting: tgasp67
    Just bc NJ can take another teams trash doesn’t mean they should. I’ll take the risk on the 6th round pick

Doesn't the Devils need defensive forwards that can carry the puck and can penalty kill? Why do y'all assume with Engvall rather than look at his advance stats and his actual games?
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 5:44 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    Quoting: tkecanuck341
    I still think LA says no to this.

Ik you're a Kings fan but you are getting a locker room guy that can log top minutes. You're pretty much getting a top 4 that's can hold it down. Like let's be real here. Does any defensive prospects has the same or higher ceiling than Rielly on the left side?
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 5:44 p.m.
    PULL A TAMPA IGNORE
    Thank we'll keep the pick TB's backup goalie is probably the least significant position on the Ice in the league
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:04 p.m.
    Quoting: MauriceArthur15
    Ik you're a Kings fan but you are getting a locker room guy that can log top minutes. You're pretty much getting a top 4 that's can hold it down. Like let's be real here. Does any defensive prospects has the same or higher ceiling than Rielly on the left side?

On the offensive side of the game, probably not. Defensively, I think both Anderson and Bjornfot are superior to Rielly. The key issue is that he's only under contract for one more year and he could just as easily walk and sign elsewhere.

If I'm LA and giving up young quality prospects, I want someone in return that is excellent at both offense and defense and rights' controlled for more than 1 season.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:11 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    On the offensive side of the game, probably not. Defensively, I think both Anderson and Bjornfot are superior to Rielly. The key issue is that he's only under contract for one more year and he could just as easily walk and sign elsewhere.

If I'm LA and giving up young quality prospects, I want someone in return that is excellent at both offense and defense and rights' controlled for more than 1 season.

Bud I wrote in the trade Rielly resigns...
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:14 p.m.
    TopDawgReese

And to your point, that's why Tampa, Carolina and the former LAK that won Stanley Cup paired Defenceman like Rielly, Hedman, and Carolina with defensive defenceman. I personally don't know how much you watch TBL games but Hedman is average at best on his own end. The offensive side however is a total different beast.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:15 p.m.
    Bud I wrote in the trade Rielly resigns...

LA isn't going to want to extend him until they see how well he plays in their system. They're certainly not going to pay any more than a rental price for him. If he comes into LA's system and excels, then I'm sure the Kings would consider extending him. LA isn't going to compensate Toronto for years not already under contract.

If Toronto extends him to a 4+ year deal, then wants to make a trade, then I'm sure LA would be willing to pay a bit more. As it stands, Walker + 3rd that upgrades to 2nd with performance conditions is about as much as I would pay for him.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:20 p.m.
    And to your point, that's why Tampa, Carolina and the former LAK that won Stanley Cup paired Defenceman like Rielly, Hedman, and Carolina with defensive defenceman. I personally don't know how much you watch TBL games but Hedman is average at best on his own end. The offensive side however is a total different beast.

I don't agree with that at all. While Hedman may not be as defensively elite as the top defensive guys in the NHL, he's certainly above average in that regard. He's absolutely the best defensively out of all three of the current Norris nominees. He's light years ahead of Rielly, who I would consider below average, on the defensive side of the puck. Hedman is on the top PK pairing for Tampa, while Rielly isn't even in the top 4 PK TOI among Toronto's defensemen.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:28 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    I don't agree with that at all. While Hedman may not be as defensively elite as the top defensive guys in the NHL, he's certainly above average in that regard. He's absolutely the best defensively out of all three of the current Norris nominees. He's light years ahead of Rielly, who I would consider below average, on the defensive side of the puck. Hedman is on the top PK pairing for Tampa, while Rielly isn't even in the top 4 PK TOI among Toronto's defensemen.

How much does Ruuta/Cernak cover for Hedman. He's average and ik Rielly is below average but who's going to qb a PP in LAK. Doughty is regressing and I'll let you in on truth if you want Jones. Jones is as good as Rielly defensively and probably have the same offensive potential and are the same age. One is gonna cost whatever Hamilton gets the other will get max the Krug contract. I think you know which is which. Rielly (who resigns) is probably one the best fits for LAK and all you need to give up is a centre prospect which you have an abundance of NHL ready ones, and Sean Walker who's the replacement for the Leafs plus a 3rd.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:31 p.m.
    TopDawgReese

Also to your point of the PK its because Toronto doesn't need him to PK as we got Muzzin, Brodie, Holl and Bogo for that while before the Savard trade Tampa had Mcdonnaugh, Cernak, Rutta and Hedman. Not to sound arrogant or a home but out of those 4 Toronto had the better defensively responsible Defenceman.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 6:42 p.m.
    How much does Ruuta/Cernak cover for Hedman. He's average and ik Rielly is below average but who's going to qb a PP in LAK. Doughty is regressing and I'll let you in on truth if you want Jones. Jones is as good as Rielly defensively and probably have the same offensive potential and are the same age. One is gonna cost whatever Hamilton gets the other will get max the Krug contract. I think you know which is which. Rielly (who resigns) is probably one the best fits for LAK and all you need to give up is a centre prospect which you have an abundance of NHL ready ones, and Sean Walker who's the replacement for the Leafs plus a 3rd.

Doughty just had one of the best seasons of his career. He's not regressing. His last two seasons before this one were objectively bad, but it was a problem of motivation not of ability. Those teams weren't in danger of making the playoffs, so he phoned it in. When he learned that he might not make the Canadian Olympic team next year, that lit a fire under his behind and propelled him to his best season since his Norris trophy win. I have no doubt that Doughty will continue to be an elite defenseman for the next 4+ seasons.

LA doesn't want Seth Jones either. They're in the market for a LHD, not a RHD, and he has the same problem that Rielly has. He's a UFA next season and is not guaranteed to re-sign. I'd disagree that Jones and Rielly are on the same level defensively. Jones is significantly better in that regard.
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 8:42 p.m.
    Doesn't the Devils need defensive forwards that can carry the puck and can penalty kill? Why do y'all assume with Engvall rather than look at his advance stats and his actual games?

We get a lot -- and I mean, a lot -- of extra forwards offered to us every day for late round picks.
    (They want us for our cap number, not our personality)

We can be picky
    Jun. 11, 2021 at 9:25 p.m.
    TopDawgReese
    Quoting: NHLfan10506
    We get a lot -- and I mean, a lot -- of extra forwards offered to us every day for late round picks.
    (They want us for our cap number, not our personality)

We can be picky

ok fair but its not like Engvall doesn't bring something NJD needs. It was more a move of Toronto getting cap relief and y'all get player you can really use on your PK and bottom 6. He is really annoying to play against and brings a strong defensive game which NJD needs to take the next step
    Jun. 13, 2021 at 8:52 p.m.
    I like to hockey

NJ has multiple forwards that can play the PK in Sharangovich, McLeod, Bastian, and there are plenty of others in the pipeline that can work their way into that role. The issue with NJ is that they need more finishers to capitalize on the opportunities that are created by Jack and Nico. If anything, the way to fix the PK is by getting better defensive minded defenseman since the majority that they have are offensive defenseman. Engvall may be great on the PK but he is not someone that NJ needs to spend assets on.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll