Vegas Blockbuster

Created by: Shakabakes
Team: 2021-22 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 15, 2021
Published: Jun. 15, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Vegas gets a 1C (and some Cap space).

Rangers get a future C, a Pick, and some complimentary pieces. Don't waste future Cap on Zibenejad.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$5,500,000
5$5,000,000
3$3,300,000
1$1,100,000
Trades
NYR
VGK
  1. Reunanen, Tarmo
  2. Zibanejad, Mika ($2,675,000 retained)
NYR
  1. Drury, Jack [Reserve List]
NYR
SEA
  1. Gauthier, Julien [RFA Rights]
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$71,871,468$0$10,100,000$9,628,532
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,300,000$3,300,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 1
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
LD
RFA - 2
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
UFA - 4
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
RFA - 3
RD
UFA - 1
$2,425,000$2,425,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
RD
RFA - 3
$737,500$737,500
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 15, 2021 at 8:45 p.m.
Banned
Why trade jones for drury?
Jun. 15, 2021 at 8:53 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: CMcAvoy73

Because Jack Drury's uncle, Chris Drury, is the General Manager.
Devil liked this.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 8:54 p.m.

Trade from a surplus position to a position that is depleted.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 8:55 p.m.
Quoting: Dzinger18
Because Jack Drury's father, Chris Drury, is the General Manager.

Uncle
Zinger liked this.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: Shakabakes
Uncle

Thanks for correcting me. I knew they were related somehow.
Shakabakes liked this.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 8:56 p.m.
Banned
Trade from a surplus position to a position that is depleted.

Jones is way better though
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 8:58 p.m.
This is even more foolish than the Eichel nonsense......congrats.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 8:59 p.m.
VGKNation702
I can get behind this
Shakabakes and Chrismurtagh liked this.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 9:23 p.m.
Quoting: delneggs
This is even more foolish than the Eichel nonsense......congrats.

Explain
Jun. 15, 2021 at 9:24 p.m.
Jones is way better though

I know Jones has debuted already, but I thought they were still pretty close in value. If not, do you think something minor like a Mid Round Pick could bridge the gap?
Jun. 15, 2021 at 9:43 p.m.
Banned
I know Jones has debuted already, but I thought they were still pretty close in value. If not, do you think something minor like a Mid Round Pick could bridge the gap?

If you’re looking to give Carolina an awesome deal, sure.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 9:51 p.m.
Explain

What is there to explain? Trade Mika and retain salary because you don't want to "waste" future cap space on him? The premise is simply FOOLISH. If you don't understand that, I can't explain it to you.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 10:05 p.m.
What is there to explain? Trade Mika and retain salary because you don't want to "waste" future cap space on him? The premise is simply FOOLISH. If you don't understand that, I can't explain it to you.

So you have an upcoming Cap crunch coming on this team. With Panarin, Kreider and Trouba already under Contract. With Fox and Shesterkin getting lengthy extensions. With Kakko and Kravtsov getting Bridged. And then Lafreniere and K'Andre getting lengthy extensions after that.

And with all that, you want to give Zibenejad probably close to $9M over the next 6 or 7 years...on a deal that starts at age 29...thinking that he will continue to put up the same #'s past his Prime at double the Cap hit?

And you think I'm foolish?

Toronto and Edmonton have multiple players in their early to mid 20's with huge Cap hits (most of them Centers, as well) that are hurting their teams overall. But you think Zibenejad going into his early 30's will be different?

I love what Zibenejad has done these past couple Seasons. But just because I love what he did in the past, doesn't mean I am "Foolish" enough to think he will continue to do the same at a higher Cap hit as he ages.

Would much rather have 2 younger and cost effective Centers in Glass and Drury to mix in with the Rangers other young talent. Not fall into the Cap trap with older players that many unfortunate teams have done in the past.

No, Sir. I am thinking quite clearly.
Jun. 15, 2021 at 10:16 p.m.
If you’re looking to give Carolina an awesome deal, sure.

I don't think the difference is that great. Jones is good, but an undersized Defenseman on a team that needs more size there (which Robertson and/or Schneider would soon bring instead). If Drury isn't the right option, that's fine. But would much rather move Jones for a young C with potential of any sort.
Jun. 16, 2021 at 3:40 a.m.
So you have an upcoming Cap crunch coming on this team. With Panarin, Kreider and Trouba already under Contract. With Fox and Shesterkin getting lengthy extensions. With Kakko and Kravtsov getting Bridged. And then Lafreniere and K'Andre getting lengthy extensions after that.

And with all that, you want to give Zibenejad probably close to $9M over the next 6 or 7 years...on a deal that starts at age 29...thinking that he will continue to put up the same #'s past his Prime at double the Cap hit?

And you think I'm foolish?

Toronto and Edmonton have multiple players in their early to mid 20's with huge Cap hits (most of them Centers, as well) that are hurting their teams overall. But you think Zibenejad going into his early 30's will be different?

I love what Zibenejad has done these past couple Seasons. But just because I love what he did in the past, doesn't mean I am "Foolish" enough to think he will continue to do the same at a higher Cap hit as he ages.

Would much rather have 2 younger and cost effective Centers in Glass and Drury to mix in with the Rangers other young talent. Not fall into the Cap trap with older players that many unfortunate teams have done in the past.

No, Sir. I am thinking quite clearly.

Ok, I'll bite and try to explain why this is foolish thinking.

First off, what is the hardest position to fill on a hockey team? A top flight, legit 1st line center, and that is why they rarely get traded, and when they do, they get a boatload in return. Mika has proved he is one of the top first line centers in the NHL. Hands down, he is a stud that has been getting better every year, and he is now in his prime. Will his production go down into his early 30's? Probably, but will he still be a very effective center then? YES, most likely. And he will be a leader on the team and mentor for younger players then as well. If you want the Rangers to have any shot at winning a cup in the next 5 to 7 years, you have to have a 1st line center like Mika and they don't grow on trees.

Second, can you tell me what the salary cap will be in 3, 4, 5 and 6 years from now? If so, I would love to know what it will be, as would every GM in the NHL. With Covid coming to an end and hockey returning to normal next season, I would bet the cap will be increasing in the near future. Maybe not 2022, but after that, I bet it does. $9m/year won't look as high then.

Third, can you tell me that the Rangers plan to keep all the young players you mentioned above for the next 3 to 6 years? All of them? Do you think it may be possible that they will trade some of them to acquire depth at CENTER? Isn't the center position their weakest, with the wing and defense having a surplus of current players and young prospects? They may also use some to acquire players with grit and experience in the playoffs to mentor the kids. You think Drury is going to go down the same road that got Gorton canned?

Bottom line is your proposing to give up their #1 asset at center, and best all around player, because you are concerned with his cap hit 4 to 7 years from now, but you have no idea what the cap will be in those years or who they will keep for that long going forward. Guys with NMC's do get traded, it happens. Mika is a proven quantity at the toughest position to fill, so PAYING HIM HIS VALUE isn't a bad thing. Plus if anyone has earned the right to be paid, it's Mika since he has been playing on a very friendly team contract for several years now. It would be penny wise and pound FOOLISH to trade him as you suggested. In my opinion anyway.
Jun. 16, 2021 at 6:25 a.m.
Ok, I'll bite and try to explain why this is foolish thinking.

First off, what is the hardest position to fill on a hockey team? A top flight, legit 1st line center, and that is why they rarely get traded, and when they do, they get a boatload in return. Mika has proved he is one of the top first line centers in the NHL. Hands down, he is a stud that has been getting better every year, and he is now in his prime. Will his production go down into his early 30's? Probably, but will he still be a very effective center then? YES, most likely. And he will be a leader on the team and mentor for younger players then as well. If you want the Rangers to have any shot at winning a cup in the next 5 to 7 years, you have to have a 1st line center like Mika and they don't grow on trees.

Second, can you tell me what the salary cap will be in 3, 4, 5 and 6 years from now? If so, I would love to know what it will be, as would every GM in the NHL. With Covid coming to an end and hockey returning to normal next season, I would bet the cap will be increasing in the near future. Maybe not 2022, but after that, I bet it does. $9m/year won't look as high then.

Third, can you tell me that the Rangers plan to keep all the young players you mentioned above for the next 3 to 6 years? All of them? Do you think it may be possible that they will trade some of them to acquire depth at CENTER? Isn't the center position their weakest, with the wing and defense having a surplus of current players and young prospects? They may also use some to acquire players with grit and experience in the playoffs to mentor the kids. You think Drury is going to go down the same road that got Gorton canned?

Bottom line is your proposing to give up their #1 asset at center, and best all around player, because you are concerned with his cap hit 4 to 7 years from now, but you have no idea what the cap will be in those years or who they will keep for that long going forward. Guys with NMC's do get traded, it happens. Mika is a proven quantity at the toughest position to fill, so PAYING HIM HIS VALUE isn't a bad thing. Plus if anyone has earned the right to be paid, it's Mika since he has been playing on a very friendly team contract for several years now. It would be penny wise and pound FOOLISH to trade him as you suggested. In my opinion anyway.

By no means will they have the same team 4-7 years from now. Regardless of what decision they make with Mika after next year, there will obviously be other moves in the future when other guys start to make too much.

While nobody knows what the future Cap will be in about 5 years, we know it won't be moving much at all in the next 2 or 3 years. The Flat Cap isn't moving. And unfortunately, that's where their immediate focus needs to be. Keeping our youth is more vital to the long term success of this team.

While I applaud what Mika has done under this past Contract, that doesn't convince me to pay him double for a lack of production in the not so distant future.

It sucks to feel that way, because he has been an excellent Ranger. And the emotional response from a fan base is usually to shell out money to nice guys past their prime because we feel they NEED to stay.

Much like when they shelled out money to Girardi and Staal while they were in Cup contention. Yet thankfully, they at least made a better decision in not locking up Callahan (although the trade that sent him away sucked). I know they are different players than Zibenejad, but the point is still there. Players are never usually the same after their big payday, which normally also comes past their prime. We may love him now. But if things with him go South, while taking up $9M a year, people won't remember anything good he did over this past Contract. They will turn on him pretty quick.

Best to avoid that.
Jun. 16, 2021 at 12:51 p.m.
By no means will they have the same team 4-7 years from now. Regardless of what decision they make with Mika after next year, there will obviously be other moves in the future when other guys start to make too much.

While nobody knows what the future Cap will be in about 5 years, we know it won't be moving much at all in the next 2 or 3 years. The Flat Cap isn't moving. And unfortunately, that's where their immediate focus needs to be. Keeping our youth is more vital to the long term success of this team.

While I applaud what Mika has done under this past Contract, that doesn't convince me to pay him double for a lack of production in the not so distant future.

It sucks to feel that way, because he has been an excellent Ranger. And the emotional response from a fan base is usually to shell out money to nice guys past their prime because we feel they NEED to stay.

Much like when they shelled out money to Girardi and Staal while they were in Cup contention. Yet thankfully, they at least made a better decision in not locking up Callahan (although the trade that sent him away sucked). I know they are different players than Zibenejad, but the point is still there. Players are never usually the same after their big payday, which normally also comes past their prime. We may love him now. But if things with him go South, while taking up $9M a year, people won't remember anything good he did over this past Contract. They will turn on him pretty quick.

Best to avoid that.

You have no idea how long Mika will be productive. Backstrom 33 and signed for 4 more years at $9.2/year. Do you see the Caps trying to trade him? Kopitar is 33 and has 3 more years at $10/season, do you see the Kings trying to trade him? Couture is 32 and has 6 more years at $8/season, do you see the Sharks trying to trade him? Benn is 31 with 4 more years at $9.5/year, do you see the Starts trying to trade him? Mika is in this class of player and plays the position that is the HARDEST to find and keep in all the NHL...a #1 center of this quality. Smart teams DON'T give up guys like this in there late 20's, they SIGN THEM because they know how rare they are. They build teams around THEM and make the cap fit THEM. That is how good Mika is. To trade him because your worried about his cap hit in 4 to 7 years is FOOLISH. Fine to think that way about wingers, or D or goalie, but not a bona fide star at your 1C position.
Jun. 16, 2021 at 12:55 p.m.
Banned
If the Rangers are moving out Zib in a deal like this, they will want someone like Krebs that they can filp into an Eichel deal. IMO
Jun. 16, 2021 at 1:26 p.m.
You have no idea how long Mika will be productive. Backstrom 33 and signed for 4 more years at $9.2/year. Do you see the Caps trying to trade him? Kopitar is 33 and has 3 more years at $10/season, do you see the Kings trying to trade him? Couture is 32 and has 6 more years at $8/season, do you see the Sharks trying to trade him? Benn is 31 with 4 more years at $9.5/year, do you see the Starts trying to trade him? Mika is in this class of player and plays the position that is the HARDEST to find and keep in all the NHL...a #1 center of this quality. Smart teams DON'T give up guys like this in there late 20's, they SIGN THEM because they know how rare they are. They build teams around THEM and make the cap fit THEM. That is how good Mika is. To trade him because your worried about his cap hit in 4 to 7 years is FOOLISH. Fine to think that way about wingers, or D or goalie, but not a bona fide star at your 1C position.

Couture and Benn are already showing signs of regression. The main reason they aren't being moved is that other teams know that they aren't acquiring a player that will live up to those Cap hits. Add to the fact that they both have numerous years left.

Backstrom is Ovi's main guy. And since they want him to resign, they won't move his C. So that's his safety net.

Kopitar is still playing well. But since he signed that huge Contract (on top of being roped in with the Contracts of Brown, Quick and Doughty among others) after their Cup wins, the team hasn't been nearly as competitive these past couple Seasons (Their last Playoff Series Win was their last Cup Win in 2014). Even with decent production, the lack of money to go around starts to hurt.

So thank you for proving my points.
Jun. 16, 2021 at 1:51 p.m.
Couture and Benn are already showing signs of regression. The main reason they aren't being moved is that other teams know that they aren't acquiring a player that will live up to those Cap hits. Add to the fact that they both have numerous years left.

Backstrom is Ovi's main guy. And since they want him to resign, they won't move his C. So that's his safety net.

Kopitar is still playing well. But since he signed that huge Contract (on top of being roped in with the Contracts of Brown, Quick and Doughty among others) after their Cup wins, the team hasn't been nearly as competitive these past couple Seasons (Their last Playoff Series Win was their last Cup Win in 2014). Even with decent production, the lack of money to go around starts to hurt.

So thank you for proving my points.

Your welcome. Sorry for your ignorance, but that's the way it is sometimes.
Shakabakes liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll